• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually a bunch of Sega Ages ports just got announced, including:
Arcade Shinobi
Wonder Boy in Monster Land
Fantasy Zone
G-Loc
Puzzle & Action: Tant-R

Arcade Shinobi is new to Sega Ages, but the rest have been seen on other collections in the past. But really the big news IMO is the Sega Ages port of Herzog Zwei, the first time this game has been available on modern systems for a long time. This is a pretty significant release for Sega, for a number of historical reasons:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herzog_Zwei

Herzog Zwei is largely credited as creating the RTS genre. Created by Technosoft, the company who would later make Thunder Force III and IV, it's a pioneering game in a genre that Sega, over on the PC side of the company, has become synonymous for. Sega has quietly become THE RTS company in gaming, and their purchase of Technosoft's IPs recently has opened the door to this.

Like all Sega Ages releases, this will be handled by M2, so probably lots of goodies included.

Get hyped, this is the first rerelease of this game since 1990!!

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another Technosoft G.O.A.T. I hope it has online.

online play would be incredible, I had never thought of that. I was thinking more about how you could use two joy cons to play local multiplayer pretty easily.

I love Sega flexing their Technosoft muscle. Technosoft was always synonymous with Sega in my eyes back in those days. The very first games I got for my Genesis were Sonic 1 and Thunder Force III.

I hope they bring back Elemental Master too.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
online play would be incredible, I had never thought of that. I was thinking more about how you could use two joy cons to play local multiplayer pretty easily.

I love Sega flexing their Technosoft muscle. Technosoft was always synonymous with Sega in my eyes back in those days. The very first games I got for my Genesis were Sonic 1 and Thunder Force III.

I hope they bring back Elemental Master too.

Yeah, I love Technosoft too, and would be totally on board for Elemental Master. My dream is if for M2 to start bringing us Saturn releases next so that we can get Hyper Duel and ofc Thunder Force V.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
SEGAaaaa...
GAtRoDA_Title.png

Where is it, SEGA?
images
golden_axe_the_revenge_of_death_adder_world.png

WHERE IS IT?
goldenaxe-gif.136948

Stevo

Jan 29, 2019
Just yesterday I did the Nintendo survey for Sega Ages Phantasy Star. I suggested they bring over more Phantasy Star and RPGs in general and this is what they announce!?

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
G-LOC's new, there are old 8/16-bit versions from forever ago but no genuine arcade ports.

Herzog Zwei has online play, they mentioned it during the announcement.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't there supposed to be a follow up to Herzog Zwei? I swear I saw screenshots somewhere, from some time ago

Oct 27, 2017
Just yesterday I did the Nintendo survey for Sega Ages Phantasy Star. I suggested they bring over more Phantasy Star and RPGs in general and this is what they announce!?
You did the survey yesterday, and already expected them to have work-in-progress footage of games running on Switch? That's a bit too fast of a turnaround.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
'Puzzle & Action: Tant-R ' is one of the greatest Sega arcade games.

The game that served as the blueprint for the 'Wario Ware' series.

My favorite announcement.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Wasn't there supposed to be a follow up to Herzog Zwei? I swear I saw screenshots somewhere, from some time ago
There was a spiritual successor called AirMech. It's gone through several iterations and ended up being quite different, though the core concepts (player-controlled transforming transport/combat unit, lack of traditional RTS controls, building capture/area control mechanics) remained. It's a F2P title on Steam now, IIRC.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Holy Fuck. Herzog Zwei has never been re-released on any platform since the original 1989 / 1990 release on Mega Drive / Genesis. Edit: OP already mentioned that.

As far as reviews, most of us only remember the fairly bad scores that Electronic Gaming Monthly gave it.
However, Game Players magazine praised Herzog Zwei and made it Sega Genesis Game of the Month in their June 1990 issue.

8Up12F1.jpg

Qbrltqf.jpg

Edit: I remember reading all of this at Toys R Us (yes they had some game mags back in the day, especially Game Players).

wpr6FTn.jpg

D0y7wJW.jpg

kJs5oWe.jpg

xVblxtp.jpg

Edit: As for G-Loc, this I think is the first time the arcade version has been brought home!

Last edited:

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
There was a spiritual successor called AirMech. It's gone through several iterations and ended up being quite different, though the core concepts (player-controlled transforming transport/combat unit, lack of traditional RTS controls, building capture/area control mechanics) remained. It's a F2P title on Steam now, IIRC.
Did they ever add music to AirMech? I can't play games without music, and Herzog Zwei had amazing music, I'll be glad to play it again!

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Did they ever add music to AirMech? I can't play games without music, and Herzog Zwei had amazing music, I'll be glad to play it again!
Well they've got OSTs, so I presume yes. Also apparently there's now a VR game spinoff (AirMech Command), and a story-based singleplayer campaign game (AirMech Wastelands). The original, multiplayer action-RTS game is now called AirMech Strike.

Espiox

Dec 7, 2017
UK
Actually a bunch of Sega Ages ports just got announced, including:
Arcade Shinobi
Wonder Boy in Monster Land
Fantasy Zone
G-Loc
Puzzle & Action: Tant-R

Arcade Shinobi is new to Sega Ages, but the rest have been seen on other collections in the past. But really the big news IMO is the Sega Ages port of Herzog Zwei, the first time this game has been available on modern systems for a long time. This is a pretty significant release for Sega, for a number of historical reasons:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herzog_Zwei

Herzog Zwei is largely credited as creating the RTS genre. Created by Technosoft, the company who would later make Thunder Force III and IV, it's a pioneering game in a genre that Sega, over on the PC side of the company, has become synonymous for. Sega has quietly become THE RTS company in gaming, and their purchase of Technosoft's IPs recently has opened the door to this.

Like all Sega Ages releases, this will be handled by M2, so probably lots of goodies included.

Get hyped, this is the first rerelease of this game since 1990!!
It's actually not Tant-R, it's the medieval-themed sequel, Ichidant-R. Which is neat because as far as I know that's never had a Western release? [EDIT: Actually, Japanese Nintendo says it includes the overseas version, so I guess it did. Must be a rare one like Puyo Puyo 1?] I don't think there's even been an arcade port since the Saturn Sega Ages series.

Sad that there's no Golden Axe: RoDA, but hopefully that will still happen? With these announcements they've blown past their original announcement of 15 games, so hopefully they're doing well.

All the new games are up on the website: http://archives.sega.jp/segaages/

And if anyone's wondering why the release of the Sega Ages games is slower than announced (it was supposed to be two per month), it's probably because M2 is doing the software for the Mega Drive Mini!

Last edited:

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
In the same issue of EGM (#10, May 1990) where they review Herzog Zwei, they also preview G-Loc from ACME 1990 show.

gEMISnS.jpg

gLpOTbx.jpg

It's funny that both of these games were just announced for Switch.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I've not played that Shinobi before, but Revenge of Shinobi was one of my my favourite Mega Drive games. I assume this is similar? (Also we need Revenge on Switch by M2 :) )

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I've not played that Shinobi before, but Revenge of Shinobi was one of my my favourite Mega Drive games. I assume this is similar? (Also we need Revenge on Switch by M2 :) )
The MD games are a bit different design wise, since they aren't designed around quarter munching like arcade titles are. Similar but more linear and harder.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Cool, Herzog Zwei is a blind spot for me.

Wonder Boy and Shinobi are also good news.
I would prefer the Master System version of Shinobi but I'm sure they'll retroactively add the QoL improvements it had in the arcade version.