• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
https://nintendoeverything.com/sega...verseas-but-disappointing-reception-in-japan/

According to SEGA Ages senior producer Kagasei Shimomura, the overseas reception to the series has been much higher than anticipated. Sonic, Out Run, and Alex Kidd in Miracle World have received an especially big response, particularly in Europe.
Unfortunately, things aren't going quite as well in Japan. Shimomura and supervisor Yosuke Okunari indicated that sales have been a bit slow and they need to appeal to its Japanese fan base. Shimomura added that SEGA Ages on Switch has been selling less than half as well as the 3DS classics that were developed a few years ago.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
They need to start adding Saturn titles into the mix. That was huge back in the day in Japan and the age of players over there would probably love to re-live those titles.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
It's entirely their own fault.

It's been proven time and time again that drip feeding crap before getting to the good stuff does not work: to maximize sales and profit from what would otherwise be snubbed once better games start appearing on the service, we get our Urban Champion 3D and Nintendo stops producing 3D Classics because of the middling sales. Same here for SEGA AGES:
Releasing for the millionth time the same games, some that already had great PS2 SEGA AGES releases or novel stereo-3D version or that have a straight superior version on another portable platform, and to top it off with just plain unappealing titles or painfully mediocre games in the sea of their incredibly diverse and high quality catalog. and following the step or so many other companies that always look at stretching the finish line instead of starting with a bang: freakin' release some post-1993 arcade games for starter, work on putting out console games past the usual 16-bit era especially if you put out a 40-games-$29 collection of the MD catalog during the same period.

I'm the target audience, hell I'm way past 50 games with the ACA series alone, and even I haven't bought Sonic 1 (had it been Whitehead's version it would have been a different matter), Gain Ground (really?) or Alex Kydd (again? And nostalgia aside it ain't good guys) yet and I'm not sure I'll bother with Shinobi 1 arcade either and I already have enough Puyo Puyo in my life, I'm not a PP tournament player so PPT and PPe-S are more than enough for me.

Last edited:

Natsunoyuutsu

Oct 28, 2017
Well, most of the Sega fans in Japan are old. Switch and smartphone probably are not what these people will do.
Mega Drive mini on the other hand will do much better than this program.
And they need to end the region lock thing on pc.
But more than anything, they need to make games with those ips or new ips try to reestablish connection with players. It's been too long in Japan for any of those Sega Ips to bring any attention. Hopefully the newly announced Sakura Wars can be a good start for them.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
It's entirely their own fault.

It's been proven time and time again that drip feeding crap before getting to the good stuff does not work: to maximize sales and profit from what would otherwise be snubbed once better games start appearing on the service, we get our Urban Champion 3D and Nintendo stops producing 3D Classics because of the middling sales. Same here for SEGA AGES:
Releasing for the millionth time the same games, some that already had great PS2 SEGA AGES releases or novel stereo-3D version or that have a straight superior version on another portable platform, and to top it off with just plain unappealing titles or painfully mediocre games in the sea of their incredibly diverse and high quality catalog. and following the step or so many other companies that always look at stretching the finish line instead of starting with a bang: freakin' release some post-1993 arcade games for starter, work on putting out console games past the usual 16-bit era especially if you put out a 40-games-$29 collection of the MD catalog during the same period.

I'm the target audience, hell I'm way past 50 games with the ACA series alone, and even I haven't bought Sonic 1 (had it been Whitehead's version it would have been a different matter), Gain Ground (really?) or Alex Kydd (again? And nostalgia aside it ain't good guys) yet and I'm not sure I'll bother with Shinobi 1 arcade either and I already have enough Puyo Puyo in my life, I'm not a PP tournament player so PPT and PPe-S are more than enough for me.
Yup getting tired of the same old crap. Start releasing Saturn stuff or something at least. Genesis needs to be put to rest at this point lol

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Y'all know Sega Ages Switch has precisely two Genesis games, one of which they'd never re-released before, right?

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No mention about Sega Ages Phantasy Star. No one gives a crap about that series anymore do they? Unless it's of the Online variety.

Also why couldn't they port the superior Sonic mobile version with widescreen, playable Tails and Knuckles, etc? Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.