• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Link: https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/interview/1169/324/amp.index.html

It is a very long interview and a mess for Google Translate to copy and paste.

So here is a summary of most of the interview.

Game Watch interviewed three people, Rieko Kodama, Yosuke Okui and Mr. Naoki Horii from M2.

Note that Reiko Kodama is receiving an award at GDC 2019.

Onto the interview:
  • They're releasing SEGA AGES Alex Kidd in Miracle World before SEGA AGES Puyo Puyo because they're still having to debug the online component.
  • Alex Kidd was a high profile mascot in Europe considering the popularity of the Sega Master System. He's been exhibited in a "European gaming museum"
  • Alex Kidd (Doesn't specify what game) made it in the Top 10 download rankings for the Wii Virtual console in Europe along with Mario and Zelda.
  • In Europe, the Master System and Alex Kidd were more popular than the Sega Mega Drive and Sonic the Hedgehog. (Correction: This is to do with the Wii Virtual console games in Europe mentioned above.)
  • Sega Master System was popular in Europe in the first half of the 90s thanks to the cheap model of the Master System II that came with Alex Kidd in Miracle World built-in. "Alex Kidd became a game everyone played." and they bought the Master System version of Sonic the Hedgehog.
  • Okusei: If you are a European game fan, you probably had a chance to know "Alex Kidd" and "Wonder Boy".

Horii: That seems to be the kind of person who likes Sega.
  • Some guy told Kodama he named his kid after Alex Kidd because it was what his dad played.
  • SEGA AGES Alex Kidd in Miracle World has three game modes, original mode, challenge mode (from 360/PS3 version) and AGES mode.
  • AGES mode will have an FM music option, something which the original didn't have because it released before the FM Sound Unit became available on the Sega Mark III System.
  • New visuals have been added in the AGES mode, it seems they've also given the answers for the Janken segments.
  • The option to continue is enabled as standard in AGES mode, if you don't remember, the original game allowed you to continue if you had $400 + hold Up and Press Button 2 eight times to continue.
  • There is a rewind function to allow you to go back in gameplay by 5 seconds.
  • According to the interview, there is the Japanese version, Overseas version and the Hamburger version in this game.
  • The Hamburger version is the overseas version but with Alex eating a Hamburger instead of a Rice Ball. The jump and action buttons were also reversed from the Japanese version. (This version was present in the Master System II)

It's a very long interview where they talk about other stuff like Phantasy Star but again, Google Translate makes it difficult to read.

This is what I was referring to regarding Janken answers being given in the borders:
37_l.jpg

Eat your hamburgers Alex:
40_l.jpg

New visuals in AGES mode:
15_l.jpg

The package illustration staff were very conscious of Super Mario Bros.
49_l.jpg

46_l.jpg

Last edited:

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Having the game built into the Master System 2 surely helped this! I've yet to play any of the series but Sega Ages is such fantastic value so I'd love to give it a go...

Hutchie

Oct 27, 2017
not sure if im gonna buy this, although it bring back great memories of my brother, sister and myself playing together and completing the game

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Heh I doubt that. Even just with Sonic 1 for the Mega Drive there was way more hype for Sonic in here, and this is without putting Sonic 2 which was massive.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Rock paper scissors basically kills any chance of me playing this game. Not a fan of luck locking me out of progression.
Which is a shame because it looks fun until the bosses.

Jof

Nov 3, 2017
Link: https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/interview/1169/324/amp.index.html
  • In Europe, the Master System and Alex Kidd were more popular than the Sega Mega Drive and Sonic the Hedgehog.
  • Sega Master System was popular in Europe in the first half of the 90s thanks to the cheap model of the Master System II that came with Alex Kidd in Miracle World built-in. "Alex Kidd became a game everyone played." and they bought the Master System version of Sonic the Hedgehog.

It's all true. Alex Kidd in Miracle World was my first ever videogame, bundled in my first ever console. My first exposure to Sonic was through Sonic 1 and 2 on the Master System.

I can't wait for this port to hit EU.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems a great work from M2 again. Looking forward to it.
Anyway, what I really want is some information about that SEGA AGES Virtua Racing...

Oct 27, 2017
Sega Master System was popular in Europe in the first half of the 90s thanks to the cheap model of the Master System II that came with Alex Kidd in Miracle World built-in.

Yup, Alex Kidd was the first video game for quite a lot of users here because of this. So funny to think my first video game in the early 90's was not on a physical support. I'm pretty sure me and my mom had to search where the hell was the catridge.

It wasn't only built in the Master System II by the way, I had the Master System I and Alex Kidd in Miracle World was inside. Other models had Hang On instead I think ?

That said, no way I would rank Alex Kidd higher than Sonic, and I would not dive into this even for a quarter (it was even in the Sega Mega Drive Classic Collection recently and that's enough for me, thanks).

Another important trivia about the game is this one.

Amspicora

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, me and my brother fucking hated Alex Kidd, and that's because we only played High Tech World and we didn't know how to get the fuck out from the castle.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
Well, i'm from Europe and always though of Sonic as more popular than Alex Kidd. I literaaly only knew about him when i started having internet and jumped on some blog post about that game that was free on the Master System II when you boot it without a game.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

This is child ghostcrew all over. Master System 2 was huge here and everyone had played Alex Kidd. I loved the shit out of the Master System Sonic the Hedgehog.

I don't agree that the Master System and Alex Kidd were bigger than the Mega Drive and Sonic though. Sonic was huge. I do think there was a sweet spot in time, before Sonic released, where Alex Kidd in Miracle World was huge though (in the UK anyway).

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
When he says Alex Kidd SMS was more popular than Sonic MD he's talking specifically about Wii Virtual Console, I'm pretty sure.

Alex Kidd definitely charted highly on VC, as did Sonic SMS. I think the relative scarcity of SMS games on other services pushed them higher in territories where people gave a shit about SMS.

Oct 28, 2017
Rock paper scissors basically kills any chance of me playing this game. Not a fan of luck locking me out of progression.
Which is a shame because it looks fun until the bosses.
This new version has a mode that gives you the answers to thre rock paper scissors apparently. And it's the same every time anyway just memorise it or write the answers down.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I don't agree that the Master System and Alex Kidd were bigger than the Mega Drive and Sonic though. Sonic was huge.

Yeah, Sonic and Mega Drive always felt more popular to me, especially in the mid 90s.

I did have 2 Alex Kidd Master System II's, Alex Kidd on cartridge, and a Sonic 1 Master System II though lol.

Oct 28, 2017
When he says Alex Kidd SMS was more popular than Sonic MD he's talking specifically about Wii Virtual Console, I'm pretty sure.

Alex Kidd definitely charted highly on VC, as did Sonic SMS. I think the relative scarcity of SMS games on other services pushed them higher in territories where people gave a shit about SMS.
I bought Alex Kidd on Wii VC. Did not buy Sonic. Why? Because Sonic has had a release on fucking everything already!

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
This is child ghostcrew all over. Master System 2 was huge here and everyone had played Alex Kidd. I loved the shit out of the Master System Sonic the Hedgehog.

I don't agree that the Master System and Alex Kidd were bigger than the Mega Drive and Sonic though. Sonic was huge.

Yeah that part can't be right: Sonic was selling everything from shampoo to spaghetti hoops in the UK, he was a cultural phenomenon in the early and mid '90s.

Looking back it's amazing just how popular Alex Kidd was despite nobody I knew coming even close to finishing the game; I've only ever been able to finish it by abusing save states with the 360 version.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Virgin Mastertronic pumped out master systems in the UK with Alex Kidd built in like nobodies business back then

Sonic is obv more popular now though
That's fair but that was nothing compared to the popularity of Megadrive and Sonic.

Also was there a secret game built in to the Master System or am I imagining things? I have this strange distant memory of my friend unlocking a secret game with some weird start up combo.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Hamburger mode, I love it. Embracing terrible localization efforts because MURICA in such a cheeky way needs to happen more often.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017

Yep i still have this console, every time i boot it up i always play some Alex Kidd.

250px-Master_System_II.jpg

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I can remember younger kids (like younger siblings of friends) having the redesigned Master System and Sonic on that system was the game they knew and played, the system still had a healthy life for years after the Mega Drive came out here in the UK. I wouldn't ever say Alex Kidd was more popular than Sonic, not at all, but everyone knew Alex Kidd because it was the pack-in title.

My time with the Master System was with the original model which is still one of my favourite console hardware models, such nostalgia for that black and red angular beauty.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
That's fair but that was nothing compared to the popularity of Megadrive and Sonic.

Also was there a secret game built in to the Master System or am I imagining things? I have this strange distant memory of my friend unlocking a secret game with some weird start up combo.

The earliest Master System consoles (the ones with leaf switches) had Snail Maze hidden.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The snail game was built into the original.

I really must get an original Master System again, still have my Fantasy Zone carts.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
It was built into the first gaming system I ever owned. Damn right I played the shit out of that game. I still sucked though, but hey, I was like 5. Then later loved Monster World too, as well as sonic games. Didn't get a Nintendo console until the 64.

MCN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Only tangentially related, but nothing annoys me more than hearing people say "Alex The Kid" when referring to this game. I have to hold myself back from screaming in their faces.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
I can confirm that in Spain, this was a game as popular as 'Super Mario Bros' or 'Street Fighter 2'.

Every person in his 30s has probably played the game.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
My Master System 1 has Alex Kidd built-in while my Master System 2 has Sonic built-in. Poor old Alex had his day in the sun but Sega quickly realised that Sonic was the future even on Alex's home turf.