• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
First of all, why so rude, genuinely I'm having a really terrible day and you actually really hurt my feelings.

Second of all, someone else already covered this:

Third of all, your example is extremely rare and has never actually happened at a comedy show. There has been bombs, but usually that's on the comedian.
It was the lol that got me - I have had friends both at the Manchester event I listed earlier and Bataclan attack in 2015 where one of my best mates had to pretend to be dead whilst there was an actual dead person lying on top of him as the gunmen went past so as not to be shot too.

Whilst it's questionable if a phone would have helped in that situation just….think a bit about potential scenarios before posting, please? Just because something hasn't happened before doesn't mean it can't (hello 9/11)

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
People are tripping over themselves to run defense for Mulaney with bullshit like "oh maybe Mulaney didn't know about Dave's views"

You have to be a complete idiot to believe that. Dave was making headlines for months with his phobic shit, and Mulaney uses the same internet that we all do.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I'm talking about the posts in these threads that are like "not you too, John," like he's a friend of theirs. Not people who paid money to see a show. John bringing Dave on stage couldn't be predicted and is very upsetting, but sadly it seems like the comedy world has no interest in ejecting Dave for his views. So much for cancel culture.
I've already binned off Bill Burr for supporting Chapelle and Carano, no issues doing the same for Mulaney. I considered him one of the better standups of the 21st century along with Burr, but can't support this shit.

Nov 4, 2017
Danm, I always thought Mulany seemed like a nice guy. Fuck him and Chapelle.

Also this Yondr thing... What's to stop me putting a decoy phone in and having a second one or other camera on/in my person? I'll shelf a phablet just to stick it to the man!

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'm talking about the posts in these threads that are like "not you too, John," like he's a friend of theirs. Not people who paid money to see a show. John bringing Dave on stage couldn't be predicted and is very upsetting, but sadly it seems like the comedy world has no interest in ejecting Dave for his views. So much for cancel culture.
Ah, I gotcha, I'd read it as a response to the original post. You're right in on that last part too, comedians are sacrosanct and must be protected. Cannot risk having them feel restricted in any way as they continue to help make our world a more hostile place to be.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
"You can't have a phone because people 100 years ago didn't have phones"

I presume you also shit outside and die of dysentery too.

Like there ARE arguments for not having phones in certain situations but the fact your nan didn't have one isn't one of them.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Ah, I gotcha, I'd read it as a response to the original post. You're right in on that last part too, comedians are sacrosanct and must be protected. Cannot risk having them feel restricted in any way as they continue to help make our world a more hostile place to be.
Yeah sorry, could have made that more clear. I just get tired of celebrity threads where posters act like they know these people and that the betrayal of their personal image is the focus of discussion, not the harm they're doing/allowing.

Unfortunately, for me personally, I still tread with caution in the general world discussing trans stuff, I know there are people in my life I would never disclose my own feelings about my somewhat complicated gender identity to, so my expectations are even lower for rich celebrities. I recognize not everyone is as cynical as that and wants to believe in the goodness of others, but it just makes it easier to compartmentalize for me and safer as well. The reality is for most ostensibly "progressive" rich people (I can't put enough quotation marks around that word), trans rights are a cute little novelty and easily discarded. Heck, that could apply to a lot of non-rich "progressives" as well. But that's another topic.

So yeah, fuck Dave and fuck John too. Hopefully this way of thinking is a dying one.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
It was the lol that got me - I have had friends both at the Manchester event I listed earlier and Bataclan attack in 2015 where one of my best mates had to pretend to be dead whilst there was an actual dead person lying on top of him as the gunmen went past so as not to be shot too.
I had a family member in the Christchurch shooting (and Earthquake). But I fail to see the relevance or why it's carte blanche to take swings at others. That is unfortunate but I would never assume it would happen. The idea of thinking "I can't go an hour without my phone because I might be in an (in this case unprecedented) one in a million situation".

Whilst it's questionable if a phone would have helped in that situation just….think a bit about potential scenarios before posting, please? Just because something hasn't happened before doesn't mean it can't (hello 9/11)
By this logic we should be preparing for worst case scenario all the time, which maybe you want to do for yourself, but isn't a feasible way for anyone else to live their life*. That's Doomsday Prepper thinking.

*obviously you life relative to your location, if you're in a warzone, maybe you're not going to a comedy show, but maybe you are and that's fine.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Danm, I always thought Mulany seemed like a nice guy. Fuck him and Chapelle.

Also this Yondr thing... What's to stop me putting a decoy phone in and having a second one or other camera on/in my person? I'll shelf a phablet just to stick it to the man!

Probably nothing, but I assume it would be easy to pick you out from the crowd if you would be the only one using it and you'd be asked to leave? I'm not really sure, though. Not actually been to a show that used that so only speculating

Icebergslim

Feb 19, 2021
You know this is going to sound crazy but I knew something was off with him during the very first Netflix standup. Dave just wasn't funny anymore.

It seemed like he was just telling stories instead of telling jokes. I think he's lost his edge. I find it hard to believe he can't come up with new material. He's living a privileged life now with privileged friends.

He used to be the punching bag of his jokes now he's doing the punching. I'm sure there are a lot comedians can joke about trans people without it becoming offensive. Dave's problem is he doesn't seem to say jokes anymore. He just goes on stage talks shit smokes some cigarettes then leaves.

I guess my point is he just isn't funny anymore which means he's coming off as offensive and ignorant.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
People arguing it's fine that companies require you not have your phone available in case of an emergency, in order to prevent people recording shows, don't make sense to me. Arguing in defense of real-life DRM. Being unduly imposed on, to the benefit of a company.

Chappelle is an irredeemable lost cause and deserves any flak. He's dug his pit and is now wallowing in it. Mulaney would obviously have been aware of Chappelle's transphobia, that he would appear at Mulaney's show, and also what hugging the transphobe would signal. As far as I'm aware Mulaney is a first time offender and has a window of opportunity to address this. Not counting on him taking it. If he does comment, I expect it'll be to defend Chappelle and Mulaney's decision to platform him.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
I'll say this on the whole lock up your cell phone thing.

Personally, I don't really have a problem with it, however, I do find it rather ironic.

That the exercise is being led by people like Chappelle that cast themselves as these "free speech" warriors, when, the act of attempting to lock people out of their phones is a direct attempt to control the means and methods of speech with their audience, in part, so as to minimize potential blowback for their own speech.

And Chappelle and others will also often give the game away, which is by saying things along the lines of "well, comedy is sometimes about pushing boundaries and lines get crossed over every now and then" to which, yeah, I get it. But what you are really signaling with your actions is not that you give a shit about free speech or whatever, since you are actively trying to restrict your audience's ability to exercise it. It's that you want freedom of consequence for your speech. Are willing to restrict the means and methods of others, use your more powerful platform to try and achieve it and disingenuously frame your actions as a noble pursuit instead of the self-serving, hypocritical exercise it actually is.

Last edited:

Bionic

Oct 27, 2017
As far as I'm aware Mulaney is a first time offender and has a window of opportunity to address this.
That's very generous of you. I didn't know about the first timer pass everyone gets to platform anti-trans hate without consequence, as long as they apologize fast enough afterwards.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the phone shit is a red flag anyway. There's absolutely no way you should be cutting your emergency contact avenue out for the 'privilege' of watching a washed up hateful old cunt whine about how much of an insufferable bigot they've devolved into.

This really seems to be a US thing though. I go to plenty of stand up in the UK, and have seen the vast majority of the biggest comedians here and yet they somehow never need to take your phone to protect them from social media.

Tbh you'd think it would be pretty fucking obvious, if you, a comedian, cannot handle your act bring shown to the public, you're a real useless attempt a comedian.

pavaloo

Oct 25, 2017
Can't really tell the context of his gun identifying as a knife thing? Is he referring to this incident?
www.theguardian.com

Dave Chappelle attack suspect charged with attempted murder over roommate stabbing

Isaiah Lee, 23, pleads not guilty over stabbing that took place in December, months before incident during Chappelle’s standup set

Yeah he was specifically making light at a situation where someone rushed the stage and tried to stab him with a knife they concealed in a fake gun.
Can't make fun of the person who tried to kill you I guess
Contextualizing this as an anti trans routine that he won't stop doing is very disingenuous, but entirely unsurprising.

Last edited:

TCB

Oct 19, 2019
You know this is going to sound crazy but I knew something was off with him during the very first Netflix standup. Dave just wasn't funny anymore.

It seemed like he was just telling stories instead of telling jokes. I think he's lost his edge. I find it hard to believe he can't come up with new material. He's living a privileged life now with privileged friends.

He used to be the punching bag of his jokes now he's doing the punching. I'm sure there are a lot comedians can joke about trans people without it becoming offensive. Dave's problem is he doesn't seem to say jokes anymore. He just goes on stage talks shit smokes some cigarettes then leaves.

I guess my point is he just isn't funny anymore which means he's coming off as offensive and ignorant.

I noticed this too after someone asked me to watch that special. This was before I knew about the controversial things he had been saying. He just seems like he's coasting on the goodwill he has built up from the past.

Now he just comes across like a lazy, ignorant comedian. I don't get people's need to defend him or praise him so religiously. I don't even know if its about comedy anymore, people just like that he stands up against the 'woke' crowd, or whatever.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I noticed this too after someone asked me to watch that special. This was before I knew about the controversial things he had been saying. He just seems like he's coasting on the goodwill he has built up from the past.

Now he just comes across like a lazy, ignorant comedian. I don't get people's need to defend him or praise him so religiously. I don't even know if its about comedy anymore, people just like that he stands up against the 'woke' crowd, or whatever.
It's like how you had dipshits like Andy Ngo thanking JKR for spewing transphobic nonsense. I doubt Ngo was a huge Potterhead before she became the global face of TERFs.

...or Vladimir Putin, for that matter:

www.independent.co.uk

Vladimir Putin defends JK Rowling in speech condemning ‘cancel culture’ in the west

Russian president says west ‘cancelled’ British author ‘because she didn’t satisfy demands of gender rights’

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck I love some old John Mulaney standups bits… him enabling that is super disappointing and soured me on him now

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
wait people here are really defending the cell phone BS? maybe you should put your phones in a box any time you go to the cinema, a sporting event, concert, etc.

"they'll film my show and give it away for free!" is the stupidest excuse i've heard. they're scared they'll be filmed saying something offensive, like dave. which is why he cries like a baby over free speech but then cries even louder if someone puts him on tape doing it.

imo in 2022, if you're good at comedy, you should want your bits popping up on youtube for free advertisement

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
It blows my mind, and has be so incredibly disappointing that Chappelle, who felt like white people were using Chappelle's as a way to be racist and laugh at racist shit instead of laughing at the satire in his jokes, would be so completely tone deaf about how his jokes could be harmful to another group of people.

I also found the way he's talked about the trans and queer community is like there are no Black queer folk that he's also harming with his content

Oct 26, 2017
Comedians will really never break rank and will never not be cool with each other, eh?

I bet you that he's even buddy-buddy with Louis C.K.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
It blows my mind, and has be so incredibly disappointing that Chappelle, who felt like white people were using Chappelle's as a way to be racist and laugh at racist shit instead of laughing at the satire in his jokes, would be so completely tone deaf about how his jokes could be harmful to another group of people.

I also found the way he's talked about the trans and queer community is like there are no Black queer folk that he's also harming with his content

Chappelle has gotten into his head that being part of LGTB community is somehow a "white thing" and it seems to be a hill he is ready to die on.

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
The "excuse" makes it even worse...
No, it doesn't...the reaction to Carr's joke is way off. The joke exists BECAUSE the the nazi's slaughter of Roma, gays and others is so abhorrent. The joke is about the fact that when the holocaust is mentioned, it's always focused on the 6 million Jews that were murdered, while hundreds of thousands of others are rarely mentioned. Carr's joke is designed to remind people of that loss...it doesn't try to present it as a 'good thing'. The "no one talks about the positives" is a way to present something so disgusting that the meaning is clearly opposite. See: Jonathan Swift's A Modest Proposal. Swift isn't serious about eating babies, but by being so cavalier about it, he hopes the audience will recognize the real issue.

Carr's appreciation of his own joke is because it sparked a response, which, in turn, places that loss of half a million people right there with the Jewish genocide. Noone can see an article or a tweet or a video about that joke without hearing about the loss of gays, Gypsies, and Sinti. That's why he sees that joke as successful.

Now, obviously not everyone would see the joke as funny. And there's a certainly a discussion to be had whether or not certain things cannot be the topic of a joke, but taking Carr's joke and claiming that he's actually suggesting that the slaughter was a positive is just a misinterpretation.

As for the actual topic of this thread, I have to say that I'm very disappointed with Mulaney...I'd already cast Chappelle into the bin long, long ago, but I was definitely a fan of Mulaney's work. Sometimes it's not a good thing to have the curtain pulled back.

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing that bothers me about Chapelle s sets now is that he makes trans jokes as a sort of "playing the hits," like the Eagles playing Hotel California, a sort of like "ok guys here comes the trans jokes!" Like it's his bit, his schtick. Stopped watching Chapelle standup specials when he started doing that a couple specials ago because then it's not just that like he's making fun of a group of people, but kinda like fishing the audience for excitement around dunking on one of the most at risk populations in the world today. Because it's his bit now I find everything else tiring because it's all like a prelude to the crowd pleasing segment making fun of trans people.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I've been to tons of shows where they did the no phone thing. It's a bag you put your phone in with a little lock on it. You keep your phone with you but it's "locked". You could definitely open it if you had to in an emergency.

Oct 30, 2017
South Coast, UK
"they'll film my show and give it away for free!" is the stupidest excuse i've heard. they're scared they'll be filmed saying something offensive, like dave. which is why he cries like a baby over free speech but then cries even louder if someone puts him on tape doing it.
I'm not sure this is true when he's said even worse shit in his specials on Netflix

Nov 15, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Transphobic concern trolling, account in junior phase
I have no idea what Chappelle said, but considering the amount of people that said The Closer was transphobic when it seemed rather the opposite to me makes me doubt that he was actually being transphobic.

Bionic

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea what Chappelle said, but considering the amount of people that said The Closer was transphobic when it seemed rather the opposite to me makes me doubt that he was actually being transphobic.
Don't know what he said
No empathy or interest in finding out why The Closer was transphobic despite hundreds of people posting long and short form about exactly why it is
Posting doubting that a thing you admit you didn't see or hear was transphobic

What is this shit? Honestly, what do you or anyone else get out of posting this?

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
That's very generous of you. I didn't know about the first timer pass everyone gets to platform anti-trans hate without consequence, as long as they apologize fast enough afterwards.
Maybe in this case I'm providing too much benefit of doubt considering the circumstances, but in general when someone's called out for having done something shitty, I'd like to see their response before solidifying my opinion of them. A stay of execution, as it were. There's a chance of genuine contrition and personal growth. I don't seek people to never err, I'd want them to introspect, learn and improve. But like I implied, I'm hardly hopeful. It seems exceedingly rare for people to acknowledge and take responsibility for their own transgressions. And this one is basically premeditated.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The whole locking your phone thing is hilarious to me because the only time I've seen it is with comedians and it's usually a red flag. It's the age of social media. Just because you lock people's phones up for an hour or two doesn't mean people aren't gonna get shit out there in every other manner possible.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
It's not true at all. Literally every show ever says "no recording". It's like bootlegging a movie at the theater.
are you comparing a "no recording" sign to being forced to put your phone in a safety deposit box and being denied entry otherwise?
you're never gonna convince me that a cam upload of a movie actually hurt someone's bottom line (a person, not a company). same way I don't see why someone getting that netflix money has to worry about someone in the back trying to record a few of these "jokes" and putting them on youtube.

furthermore, the fact all of this can be written off as heresay, as someone else in this thread is posting, proves my point. no one can "prove" dave was being transphobic, so he may as well have never said these things.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Fuck Chapelle and Fuck TERFs.

Isn't that the special where he talks about gender being a fact and being on team TERF? If so, I don't know one can think it was the opposite of transphobic.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
wait people here are really defending the cell phone BS? maybe you should put your phones in a box any time you go to the cinema, a sporting event, concert, etc.

imo in 2022, if you're good at comedy, you should want your bits popping up on youtube for free advertisement

That's why you're not a comedian. Look, Dave fucking sucks. But you don't want bits you're doing at random comedy clubs popping up online because you're still workshopping the bit. If the bit sucks, some crank uploading "Famous Comedian BOMBS on stage!" doesn't help you at all. It sucks now, but they might tweak it and make it funny for an eventual TV or Netflix special. Or they might drop it.

Not everyone is concerned they'll say something offensive, because not everyone is a POS like Dave. And these cell phone things have also popped up at concerts as well. Some places want the performance to be ephemeral, and sometimes they NEED that. When everyone gets to keep their phone during live shows, it's how you wind up with Jesse Williams' dick on the internet.

furthermore, the fact all of this can be written off as heresay, as someone else in this thread is posting, proves my point. no one can "prove" dave was being transphobic, so he may as well have never said these things.

We don't need to prove Dave was being transphobic with a side bit he did at another comedian's show. Dude had an entire Netflix show about it, and never apologized. In fact, not only did he not apologize, he doubled down on it at events afterwards, asking if he was "canceled" to thunderous applause. We already KNOW he sucks.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
So comedians are just all in a big fucking club huh

Yup. And generally I used to find it admirable considering the early years struggle solidarity…except it lets a dude sexually assault women during his tv gigs for years, a guy be a pedeophile and be in an anticipated movie, and helps boy able to drop in and do his transphobic schtick he's dedicated his life to now.