• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

*Micheal Bay explosion sound*

• I don’t care for trophies/achievements, not even checking them

Votes: 228 19.4%
  • If I get them it’s fine, If I don’t that’s also fine. Might check them out if I really love the game

Votes: 525 44.6%
  • Try to get as many as possible but if I don’t have the will to Platinum/100% I move on

Votes: 392 33.3%
  • Have to get Platinum/100%, mandatory. Even if I am tired of the game

Votes: 31 2.6%

• Total voters

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
In my opinion it's actually the most useless thing in gaming. It really boggles my mind why anyone feels the need to platinum or 100% their games, especially when it's not something that can naturally be done through the game. Going out of your way to do some asinine task in order to get a jpeg of a trophy seems strange to me.

But for those who do, more power to you.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I go for the ones I have the time and will for. For example, I don't see myself going for "Solo Legendary" achievements in Halo games, but I'll gladly watch video guides on where to find skulls and such.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I really like them. They're at their best when they incentivize all kinds of fun stuff the game proper reasonably can't. That's also why "collect all 1000 bird shits" is the worst kind of achievement.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
They're helpful as progress indicators and fun extra challenges. I'll usually look at the trophy list at the end of a game and see if I want to bother doing them or not, I don't care about platinums unless the game is an absolute favourite of mine.

They're also great for comparing with friends and seeing what progress they've made in a game. It's a shame Nintendo don't have anything like it.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I always try to get as much as possible until I get one that's more difficult, then I either just stop caring or try to get it if I'm bored.

I love tropies personally. It's like a checklist that automatically fill itself and give me a sense of progress seeing games (or how much of them) I've played over the years.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Already have a day job, I don't need another one. Games are for fun, not to do a set of tasks demanded from someone..
1. Fun is arbitrary and subjective. Most trophy hunters find a majority of the experience fun for them. (Not even a trophy hunter by the way)

2. Games can be for are for Enjoyment, Entertainment, Education and many other things more than just "Fun" theres so much to gain from the medium and limiting the scope of what games can is nonsense

3. Almost every game that exist consists of task demanded by developers as the core gameplay loop to advance the game . I guarantee you find tasks from the developer Fun in the games you play.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I was shocked how many people said they were going to go back and play old playstation games now that they have trophies. I don't get it. Having a little public record that says you did some random thing in a game is impetus enough to go back and play a game for multiple hours, but before that it wasn't worth your time? Stuff like this makes me think Netflix trophies would be insane for engagement. A trophy for binging a a whole season in one sitting. One for watching a whole series that's 100+ episodes in a week, or you get the Bury Your Gays trophy for watching 10 or more LGBT themed movies/series. Or the Half Baked trophy for watching a dozen food competition reality shows.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Tropies make games worse for me. I have ADHD traits which make sticking with a game long enough to get trophies difficult, but knowing that I haven't got the trophies actually bothers me a fair bit from a FOMO sense. Would infinitely prefer if they had never become a thing.

Definitely a me problem though.

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
I'll get all the trophies for fighting games and a the couple of Yakuza games I've played so far but I mostly don't bother too much. I will probably replay Hollow Knight and earn all its trophies when it's on the new PSPlus; I played it on Switch previously.

Playing games on Switch where there are no trophies was a nice relief, because I didn't worry at all about overlooking stuff that may have been needed for some trophy requirement.

Dec 30, 2020
Back in mah day your efforts got acknowledged by unlocking some form of content in the game. Levels to explore, items to use, characters to play as, costumes to wear, music to hear, art to look at, secret endings to watch.

Now it's a little text box.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Depending on the game, Resident Evil 2 and 3 achievements were tied to in game achievements check lists with actual rewards, if I like the game enough, I'm very interested in this kind of achievements/trophies.

Meanwhile I have been playing Guilty Gear Strive for over a year now and I have yet to open the game's trophy list.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I'm between the last two options, I strive to get as many as I can in a playthrough and have even returned to games years later just to finish the platinum. I almost never set out to platinum a game from launch though, if I beat it with about 80% of the trophies I'll take a gander at what's left to platinum and decide to go for it or not. I currently have 32 games platinumed.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I personally do not care. I'll maybe look at them after I've beaten a game, but I won't go back and try to complete them. I turn off the notifications because they're a distraction. I guess I'm in-between the first two options of the poll.

I much prefer achievement systems built into the game. Trophies on my Playstation profile mean nothing to me.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care. Rarely check them and when I do the usual thought is, "I'd never in a million years spend my time doing these things". Not once have they actually added to my enjoyment of a game. Couldn't even tell you my GT/Trophy score with a gun to my head. Even with Microsoft Rewards, going out of my way to earn trophies isn't worth the bonus points.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
I've never understood them. From my perspective, if I put myself through all the tedium I imagine would be required to "platinum" basically any video game, I'd hate the game by the time I was done with it.

Also, I don't have any examples but I feel like they can be kinda spoilery sometimes? Like if one pops up telling me I just beat the last boss or got the last weapon or something while right after I deal the final blow. I feel like I've had situations where I've been at the beginning of a cutscene and a pop up has informed me that I just beat the game at a moment when I wasn't sure that was the case.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I love the ones that encourage or suggest alternative playstyles. Paradox Grand Strategy games are great for that, often suggesting weird and interesting countries to play in different ways to get achievements. Arkane games are pretty good too, one of my most interesting and challenging runs through Dishonoured 2 was a no powers, no kills, all stealth, no hud run.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care.

The only thing I ever even look at are the story-completion trophies, to see the percentage of players that have beaten the game, or gotten to a certain story beat or whatever.

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
Used to chase them a ton, but now I get what I can while playing and enjoying the game. Rarely replay for achievements alone. Too many games, too little time.

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
I don't really care about them. I'll go 'Huh cool I got that achievement' when I get the little pop-up but I don't go out of my way to try and get them nor do I even really check what the achievements for the game I'm playing are.

If I get them, it just happens as I naturally play.

Cali32

Oct 11, 2020
I try to get them if they are doable/easy enough or even if they're a bit challenging but it's something I absolutely love. For other games, I just do a playthrough and then try to cleanup a few easy trophies that I missed out during the initial playthrough and then I'm moving on (e.g. RDR2, Demon's Souls).

Rev408

Dec 28, 2017
I love achievements. When done right I think they can add so much replay-ability, I just wish Nintendo would realize this already. I've gotten into retro achievements just recently and am having so much fun replaying classics just to get 'em.

Otheradam

Nov 1, 2017
I used to try to get it for the games I really like or wasn't a super crazy hard or big time investment to complete. I basically stopped caring after the 360 era. I did platinum Elden Ring but only because I was already playing the game and wanted to complete everything and the trophies popped along the way and the ones that were kinda out of the way weren't that bad.

For Demon's Souls remake I am missing the all spells trophy but I can't be bothered to play through the game a third time.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
I like collecting them. I have 40 odds platinums but I'll say platinum collecting led me to try games that I normally wouldn't play, like Life is Strange or the Walking Dead back in the day.

Nowadays I'll go for it if I really enjoy the game and it doesn't have grind heavy trophies. Which is why I enjoy the recent platinum runs from Sony's first party games. Everything since Horizon Zero Dawn has been pretty easygoing and a fun time. The Uncharted games in general also has nice replayability due to them as well.

All in all, I see them as a net positive and I do think they add more value to a game due to the added replayability if the trophies aren't archaic.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Completely depends on the game. Some games like Hollow Knight and Celeste I go out of my way to get the platinum. Some games like Elden Ring I really don't care about them at all. I think the difference is that in one I am mastering gameplay systems, and in one I am just completing a big list of tasks that I have to follow along in a guide.

There is never any reason to want them to straight up be removed from gaming though. They provide extra goals for people who want to maximize their enjoyment of a game, and for everyone else they can be ignored.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care for them but I don't think them existing has an impact on game's design or content, compared to things like dlc. I turn off notifications if they are bothering me and ignore for the most part.

If they are in alignment with what I'd want to do anyway I might try to them all but is pretty rare.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I care about achievements a bit due to MS rewards, since they work in tandem with each other for certain things. If it's something completely ridiculous though I just won't do it, and I'll go for 1000/1000 if I really like the game or if it's not too difficult.

Trophies I don't give a shit about, but I do skim the list and see if anything is easy enough to grab, but won't go too far out of my way. I did try to get them all in FF7R but I never finished my hard mode play through, but maybe some day before part 2 is out.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
I like trophies and wouldn't be happy if they were done away with. They can be easily disregarded when I don't care, but if I'm trying to get as many as possible/plat they're there for me and can help me get the most out of the game.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I just like to see when I did what. Apparently I got the platinum in Resogun in 2018 but I would have sworn I did that in 2014.

I have 3283 trophies of which 10 are platinum.

I dislike the trend recently of removing difficulty trophies as now I have to look after my save games instead

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
I think they are often pointless gamifying of busywork in gaming, so they sit in the category as fetchquests for me. Easily ignored though, so to each their own.

Oct 28, 2017
I live somewhere in the middle, depending on how well-designed/implemented the trophies for a game are. I like to go for them if earning them is fun and natural or encourages me to do interesting things in the game, but I HATE grind trophies, so if a game's platinum is gated behind 200 hours of grinding I will walk away. This is why despite finishing nearly every Yakuza game ever made I've never gotten a Platinum for any of them.

pretty much this is where im at myself too.

for example im sure as shit im not getting a plat for Horizon with this sequel because besides feeling a bit lacking compared to the first one there's too much shit locked behind horrible grinding and i dont feel like doing it.

too bad Dragon Age Inquisition has difficulty related trophies otherwise i would plat it

Omnicore

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Trophies/Achievements that are just checkpoints in games are pretty meaningless to me. That being said, any game that gets creative with them, requiring you to complete a task or challenge that otherwise isn't a part of the natural profession I very much enjoy.

One of my all-time favourites that I can remember was from Halo Reach

- If They Came to Hear Me Beg -
Perform an Assassination against an Elite to survive a fall that would've been fatal.

I loved attempting to get this achievement. Having to jump off a cliff, line it up so you fall on top of an elite and are able to perform an assassination prior to hitting the ground which would cause you to die. More like this please.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I love them. They've extended replayability in a lot of games for me. I don't need to go for the platinum but if I love a game I may give it a try.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
If I'm super passionate about a game, I'll try to unlock as many achievements/trophies as seem fun. If there's some that are a pain in the ass or a chore, I won't lose sleep over not getting 100%.

If a game is just good, like not amazing or gripping, just good, I usually only half pay attention to trophies/achievements; they're nice if they happen, but I'm not actively going out of my way for them.

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
I like them. If a game's achievements feel feasible I'll go out of my way for the harder ones. But I don't lose sleep over them. I consider them a nice extra challenge to go through without seriously impacting the accessibility of the main adventure.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
In my opinion it's actually the most useless thing in gaming. It really boggles my mind why anyone feels the need to platinum or 100% their games, especially when it's not something that can naturally be done through the game. Going out of your way to do some asinine task in order to get a jpeg of a trophy seems strange to me.

But for those who do, more power to you.
Going out of your way to do an asinine task is pretty much videogames. I don't see why trophies/achievements are any different than all the other tasks you complete in a game. People like to do a thing and get something, it's a very basic motivator. Whether the thing is a gun or outfit or money or praise or trophy doesn't matter. Different people like different motivators.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
They're really fun. Before they existed I did a lot of random challenges I gave myself in games during the first run or replays of the game. Trophies just extended on that. I can't bother with them if they are too far out there or the game stops being fun. But if I am having a lot of fun, I'll definitely go for it when its not too much trouble.

I think it was an Assassin's Creed game which had a trophy in one of their games for something I used to do previously in the franchise. That was really interesting to see the trophy suddenly pop up for something I did before a lot.

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
I like the trophy system a lot, and my current approach is to try to get as many of them in a single playthrough. If I am enjoying the game and the cleanup trophies are easily obtainable I'll go for the Platinum. Otherwise I'll just move on to the next game in my backlog.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Life is short and there are too many cool games and interesting stuff to do. I don't care about achievements at all.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
I only care if it's a game I love and will replay many times, usually RPGs. For example I have all achievemente for Mass Effect trilogy on both PC and Xbox 360…. Oh and same for Mass Effect Legendary Edition. 🙃 I actually 99% MELE on first play through, just 1 achievement required ME3 NG+. Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim, Fallout 4, the Dragon Age games…

During the 360 days I went out of my way to get a lot of achievements on any game I played, but nowadays I barely look at the list unless it's one of those games I'm gonna play for hundreds of hours.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Used to check them. These days they get largely ignored. My time playing games is already short.

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
Unless I really like the game and the trophies are pretty achievable I won't bother with them. So recently I've gotten the last of us 2 and forbidden west platinum as they were pretty easily gotten and the games were fun.

el_galvon

Jun 13, 2019
I enjoy going for the Platinum trophy and get the feeling that I've saw everything the game has to offer. But only when it's doable, with an extra effort if I truly love the game (like finishing Persona 4 and 5 multiple times).

Of course there are moments when the question "why I'm doing this?" appears in my mind. I remember trying to beat Spec Ops: The Line on the hardest difficult for one last trophy, but that experience was making me despise a game that I've loved the first time I played, so I knew it was the time to stop.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
I REALLY like it when you do something cool/unique and an achievement pops recognizing that you just did the thing... But I think the problem is achievement design became lazy very quickly. Now they're just a carrot on a stick to keep you playing for completionist clout.

Now that we're in the "GaaS" era of video games the last thing I want is another fucking carrot.