• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How has it changed?

• Used to love it, not anymore

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Used to like it, not anymore

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Used to dislike it, not anymore

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Used to hate it, not anymore

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still love it

Votes: 97 57.4%
  • I still hate it

Votes: 29 17.2%
  • I'm indifferent towards the game

Votes: 30 17.8%

• Total voters

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Exactly one year ago on Oct. 26, the sequel to one of the most important game of the last generation released. Think what you think of the game, it certainly didn't leave anyone indifferent getting unanimous praise from the media, being the talk of the week for months, selling a shitload of copies, you know the deal.

However, many on this forum didn't like the game at all. We're one year afterwards though, so how has your opinion on this game changed over this past year? Do you now hate it, love it, like it, has it changed at all?

Personally, I still love the game and that's not particularly hard to see in my posts. It's still, in my opinion, the pinnacle of open worlds in terms of freedom, level of detail and exploration; all bundled with a story that grabbed me since the beginning. It's a slow burn for sure, but one year later I can still hop into this game and find new stuff; I can't say that about many games I've beaten.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
the first couple days. I thought it was amazing. Then the aiming became too much of an issue for me. I thought it was just flat out broken. I couldn't hit anything. So i hit the eject button and stopped playing it a month or so after launch.

When it got that patch couple months back saying they fixed the controls. I returned. An now i like it a lot again. Just too busy to really go back into it full on at the moment.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Still game of the gen, going to play the PC version too for sure. Yet to play Multiplayer.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Same opinion: high highs, low lows. I enjoyed some of my time with it, and in equal measures felt it was a giant waste of time.

Worth it for the atmosphere and attention to detail.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Where's the "I still like it" option? The game was amazing at first but started getting on my nerves in the last two chapters. it's still good just not a masterpiece to me.

Spongehead56

Jul 6, 2018
Wisconsin
My opinion on it has gone down over time. Looking back at my time with it, I really wasn't having much fun or getting much satisfaction from playing it. I mostly admired it for it's complex systems and beauty. I view it as a great piece of art, but not a great game.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was very, very disappointed with Online around launch. Now? I play it every day. I have put more time into the online mode than the single player mode.

I was so hype this and days gone but only put like 4 hours in between them

The game doesn't even start a few hours in.. put more time into it! I found the opening to be a slog.. don't judge it based on that.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Single Player is amazing but with some questionable/outdated game designs.
Multiplayer is ok.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
from the other thread:

i needed to take 2 extensive breaks in order to finish red dead redemption 2. i never really felt that the whole gang/camp thing was all that 'immersive', & found much of it to be simply drawn out, repetitive, & tiresome. i enjoyed the original red dead redemption much more...

a single year passing hasn't changed this...

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still not a fan of the controls, but admit that everything else is great. I'll give the PC version a shot at some point.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
good lord, we've had so many threads recently discussing the quality of RDR 2.

Anyway, loved it and still do.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
My opinion hasn't really changed. It has lots of mechanics that are just annoying and hurt the overall experience for me.

It still has fun gameplay overall and the story is pretty incredible, too.

Also:

STOP. PUTTING. YOUR. GUNS. AWAY. ARTHUR.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Still the same really, I really liked it's SP, but have zero interest in Red Dead Online, it's first impression was extremely bad and not once considered giving it another chance.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Still as good as it was at release. If not better, given the amazing state Red Dead Online is in at the moment.

Oct 27, 2017
I got the game from a friend to see if I was a bit too hard on it and if it is better than I thought.
The result is still the same. The missions and movement along with some of the smaller issues ruins it.

The game has a lot going for it but if only someone that actually want to make a fun game was in charge of the gameplay.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Still think it's not good at all as far as gameplay goes, that it is a game that for me was carried hard by the strength of the story, as well as Arthur as a protagonist.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
That's a lot of poll option.

My opinion on the game has turned around massively since launch. I pre-ordered (digitally) the Ultimate Edition of the game because I adore RDR1. Like, top three favourite games ever adore. And then I proceeded to bounce off of RDR2 real hard after a couple of weeks. I gave up on the campaign, never finished it. I waited for the Online to launch and ended up finding no joy in it. It was empty and full of griefers.

Fast forward a year and, while I still can't bring myself to play through the single player, I'm logging into Red Dead Online literally every day and having a great time playing with friends. I'm hooked on it. Whatever they've done since launch, whether it be new content (there's loads of fun stuff to do, even solo in Online), gameplay changes (they've made changes to how it feels to control in Online. It's quicker and less animation priorityish), it's just a whole heap of fun now.

I've gone from basically accepting that I'd wasted £90 or whatever it was to now playing it every day over other, newer games. I adore RDR2 Online. It'd be enough to put this high up in my Top Ten of last year if it'd launched like this (it didn't make it into my list at all).

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Used to love it, just like it now. Story and Arthur's arc was great but that gameplay was truly awful and will continue to age poorly. Guarma was shite too. Nowhere near game of the gen but the story was undeniably memorable.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
I was blown away when I first started playing it, but then the idiotic writing became too apparent, and the boredom started to set in. I can't even bring myself to finish it at this point.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still an absolute masterpiece, have been waiting for the PC versions to play through it again, can't wait for December!

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Same opinion as always: Game is amazing and a must play, but its not a game to binge or to play for its gameplay. Playing it for 2-4 hours at a time every couple of days or every week made me appreciate it a lot more.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still indifferent.

I can recognize what a master class in game development that game is, but the second someone hands me a controller to actually PLAY that game, I'd rather play almost anything else.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I don't hate it, just think its possibly the most overrated game of all time.

I'm about half way through the story andhave no desire to keep playing. Same thing happened with GTA5 though, guess the modern Rockstar games are just not my type.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I didn't play it at launch but some time later...my thoughts haven't changed though....I enjoyed the characters and the story,I enjoyed the beautiful detailed world,the gameplay and mission design was pretty stale though.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm biased, but I still have a deep admiration for the game. For a long time it looked pretty rough but they pulled it together. There is nothing quite like it. It's a very arthouse experience with a Marvel sized budget. Even though I don't return to it often, it still fills me with pride.

Incredible accomplishment.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's still worthy of all the praise. I've played a few open world games since then and none of them hold a candle to RDR2 in terms of world building.

I'm beginning to crave for another playthrough, will hold off until PS5 to do so