• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks so much better than what I remember, the RT adds a nice level of depth too.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spectacular, I already thought this game had a really great look. Especially the lighting on the highway level in the original version.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Spectacular, I already thought this game had a really great look. Especially the lighting on the highway level in the original version.

It was interesting on 360. The lighting was great but the resolution was garbage. 60fps + higher resolution alone makes a huge difference.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
The actual neat stuff from that reshade tinkering are the more subtle things he does like the sharpening.

The stuff like the DOF is ridiculously aggressive and the reflections are just hilarious. Dudes reflecting themselves off dry concrete and wood.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
I've always despised screen-space reflections in first-person shooters. They end up splattering huge moving artifacts across the screen, especially flagrantly during vertical camera motion.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was interesting on 360. The lighting was great but the resolution was garbage. 60fps + higher resolution alone makes a huge difference.
Watching the video again reminded me how large the levels were, some of that was so incredibly impressive for the time.

Hell, most Halo levels are still not the same level of grand scale we saw in Halo 3, 13 years ago.

I hope Infinite brings that back.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Some of this looks good but some just looks terrible. Like the reflections on the battle rifle. Don't need it, don't want it.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know how 360 gen everything was brown and bloom?

This gen everything is shiny and wet

a916

Oct 25, 2017
You know how 360 gen everything was brown and bloom?

This gen everything is shiny and wet

Infamous_Second_Son.jpg

We kind of started the generation off with this.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
A bit too sharp for my taste but I had no idea reshade was doing some ray tracing now, so cool.

Also, even if you wouldn't play it like that, seeing the game in that cinematic mode is pretty crazy, just shows the power of the tool.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Watching the video again reminded me how large the levels were, some of that was so incredibly impressive for the time.

Hell, most Halo levels are still not the same level of grand scale we saw in Halo 3, 13 years ago.

I hope Infinite brings that back.

Yes, I hope Infinite goes for Halo 3 style sandboxes (with some Halo 1 mood) and doesn't go too far in the direction of full open world.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
Uh..this looks horrible. The screen space reflections (they're not ray traced as he claims) just look low quality and cover the screen with artifacts, and the sharpening ruins the texture detail. His settings need a lot of tweaking to look good.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if this kind of stuff could be automated some day for older games. Would certainly be neat.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Halo 3 looks so much better with that ambient occlusion. They could skip all the other bells and whistles RT offers and just give me that AO and I'd be happy

Aaronmac

Nov 12, 2017
Sure, let's take Halo 3 (which has some of the most stunning lighting, material definition, art direction, color choice, and scene composition in videogame history) and crap all over it with fake screenspace raytracing and egregious reflections. No thanks.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Something about Halo 3 is timeless. The lighting, materials, and physics to this day feel clean and polished and hold up incredibly well. It all appears very natural and almost effortless, unlike later Halos that still look great but feel a bit more forced. (dramatic lighting that stands out a bit too much)

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Which is exactly why "wait until later in the generation when developers have more of a handle on the hardware!!" is misleading.

Yeah this gen in particular felt like the first time we got stuff right from the start the mat kinda was barely if ever topped.

Infamous, Killzone, Ryse, The Order, Ori are all games from the first 2 years of this gen that remain lookers this day.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I see the massive improvement in the effects, from a technical perspective.

However.

Aesthetically, it looks like shit. This obviously needs an artist on top deciding how to best use the tech within the established Halo look and considering the nature/detail of all other assets being used.