• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017

I'm playing Resident Evil 2 on PS1 for the first time, and I'm currently stuck in a section with a blaring 'self destruct' alarm blaring endlessly. It's not making exploration very fun, and it replaces all of the other music.

Which other alarm sound moments of games have annoyed you? Which is the worst?

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

"Im annoying' huh?"

Does baby Mario crying in Yoshi's island count?

tenor.gif

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if this quite qualifies, but I've been playing the original Legend of Zelda via Nintendo Switch Online and the low-health beep drives me up the wall.

Basically, it's a more grating version of this (can't find a good video of the NES noise):

As an "alarm", it's very effective. And also hella irritating.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
Viewtiful Joe, the viewtiful escape has an alarm going "WARNING WARNING WARNING" during the escape part. I think there was another part where a bomb gets armed but don't remember when it was exactly.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
It's not an alarm in the same sense as what's mentioned so far, but my number one criticism of Spelunky is the music that plays when a shopkeeper is trying to kill you. If you've become wanted (which is most playthroughs once you're good enough at the game), you basically don't get to hear the normal music anymore for large portions of the game. And to make matters worse, it's a less than ten-second loop that you now get to hear all the time instead. The original freeware version didn't have that, and I hope they consider removing it for the sequel.

Nov 17, 2017
Kingdom Hearts' low health alarm
Pokémon low health.
I don't know if these count. They are low health alarms. Just heal and they stop.

I think it's more like when you're in an area where there is always an alarm going off no matter what you do. In Final Fantasy XII, when you're on the Leviathan trying to escape with Ashe, the alarm is triggered for the whole way until you get to the boss at the end of the area.

Nov 17, 2017
Gen V solved this by having a different battle theme play when you had low health, but the following Pokemon games went back to the alarm sound.
The post Gen V games did go back to the alarm but now they only beep a few times before going silent.

I liked Gen V's low health music but that also presented an issue where it replaced the music that was playing and so while much better on the ears, could still be annoying.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In Pokemon Colosseum you infiltrate the research lab for the Shadow Pokemon and an alarm is set off. It's not a great section overall.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The post Gen V games did go back to the alarm but now they only beep a few times before going silent.

I liked Gen V's low health music but that also presented an issue where it replaced the music that was playing and so while much better on the ears, could still be annoying.
Yea, that's literally one of my few issues I have with gen 5. Iris's theme is amazing, so I don't want it to go to that theme randomly if I go to low hp, and then back to the theme.

Oct 28, 2017
RE2 was what I had in my mind before I clicked the thread. I had no idea it would be a negative from the OP though. It's great.

THE SELF DESTRUCT SEQUENCE HAS BEEN ACTIVATED. ALL EMPLOYEES PROCEED TO THE EMERGENCY CAR AT THE BOTTOM PLATFORM

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
OVERWHELM is what comes to mind. It has a really dissonant sound that plays constantly if you're close to death and initially I found it pretty grating but it kinda grew on me with how committed was to atmosphere that it was willing to make you listen to industrial / harsh noise sounds for sustained periods of time. Thankfully for people who don't like it they patched in an option to lower the volume (and maybe mute it entirely?) sometime after launch though.

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 7 comes to mind when you get near the end. I hated that part a ton because of the alarm.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
The first Assassin's Creed is a PERFECT example of this:
giphy.gif
Every time you have to get back to the Assassin's hideout after an assassination.

It's thematically appropriate (I guess) but man does it get annoying after a while.

OP
OP
dock

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I don't know if this quite qualifies, but I've been playing the original Legend of Zelda via Nintendo Switch Online and the low-health beep drives me up the wall
Almost all of the Zelda games do this and it's really annoying! Breath of the Wild is one of the only ones where they fade out the sound after a while. Nintendo can be brutal with alarms.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know man but that RE2 alarm is awesome. I am playing the remake with the original music on this time and I hope it plays the exact same one.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CLEAR THE LANDING AREA. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO BOARD THE HELICOPTER.

Rainbow Six Siege.

Also that fucking music on top floor of Cafe. With bulletproof speakers.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
The final boss of Conker's bad fur day is punctuated by a repeating alarm voice over about the open airlock.
What makes it great though is after a certain amount of time it replaces its usual WARNING shtick with giving you the solution to the boss battle in the same tone.
"THROW THE ALIEN OUT, AND SHUT THE BLOODY DOOR"

The traditional alarm mercifully only plays in the cutscene prior to the boss.

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
I don't know if this quite qualifies, but I've been playing the original Legend of Zelda via Nintendo Switch Online and the low-health beep drives me up the wall.

Basically, it's a more grating version of this (can't find a good video of the NES noise):

As an "alarm", it's very effective. And also hella irritating.

Thank Jesus that the BOTW version is very understated.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
The original Resident Evil 2 alarm music is the best one there is though. It was exactly what I thought of when I entered expecting a positive thread.