• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I had never seen these before until a few days ago. I edited / cropped these as best I could from the scans that were available online.

tJwctla.jpg

Ekn70r6.jpg

roVs2Cf.jpg

HnGXHE6.jpg

(Issue 35 - September 1995)
1CEQUUu.jpg

ORUPgQf.jpg

(Issue 38 - December 1995)
quYOlUM.jpg

wVMBAsh.jpg

(Issue 39 - January 1996)
t1tfbnH.jpg

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
One of the things that was oddly great about Super Play is that it championed games I was unable to play. It made them all the more special.

And here I am in 2020 playing Trials of Mana.

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
I still have this copy of Super Play. One of the great mags that made me want to work in the games industry (and cultivated my love for JRPGs).

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I had never seen these before until a few days ago. I edited / cropped these as best I could from the scans that were available online.

tJwctla.jpg

Ekn70r6.jpg

roVs2Cf.jpg

HnGXHE6.jpg

(Issue 35 - September 1995)
1CEQUUu.jpg

ORUPgQf.jpg

(Issue 38 - December 1995)
quYOlUM.jpg

wVMBAsh.jpg

(Issue 39 - January 1996)
t1tfbnH.jpg

I have every issue of this magazine, it was my everything when I was younger. I even got a free ryu badge with the first issue.

I absolutely adored this magazine.

Thank you for sharing.

lupin23rd

Oct 27, 2017
Always great to see these old articles. I have a fondness for the "look" of Japanese games in magazines like EGM, the screenshots always looked really good and somewhat mysterious. I kind of miss the days where I you would see a game like this and be really hyped even though you would never know whether it was coming out west (or knew that it never would).

Had a good chuckle at this line though:

"... Square are now heavily gearing up for the Nintendo64 so their workforce is therefore at a premium."

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Super Play was my favourite games magazine of my youth, the cover art by Will Overton really made it stand out on the newsagent shelves.

They regularly covered import games from Japan and the US that I wouldn't have even known existed otherwise, and championed Japanese stuff like Puyo Puyo, Legend of the Mystical Ninja and Secret of Mana that did actually make it to a UK release. Without them I wouldn't have even known that Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest were a thing, wouldn't have imported games or bought a multitap (4-player adapter) for Super Bomberman and 3-player SoM etc which became real favourites amongst our friends. It's directly responsible for getting my brother and I into JRPGs.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Super Play was one of the best magazines around.
I still have this issue along with many others.

A couple of years ago they made a special issue 48, had to make sure I got that one.

9jfuybpklilz.jpg

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I still have this copy of Super Play. One of the great mags that made me want to work in the games industry (and cultivated my love for JRPGs).

Super Play was *excellent*, and the first publication that really opened my eyes to the games that never came out of Japan.

There was one early issue which had a report from a conference (probably Spaceworld?) in great detail with a ton of games and franchises I'd never heard of, and it was genuinely fascinating.

Without them I wouldn't have even known that Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest were a thing, wouldn't have imported games or bought a multitap (4-player adapter) for Super Bomberman and 3-player SoM etc which became real favourites amongst our friends. It's directly responsible for getting my brother and I into JRPGs.

I think there's genuinely a fair argument that it caused a - small but not insignificant - spike in interest in JRPGs in the UK before FF7 blew that all wide open.

Tarpii

Oct 26, 2017
i had this magazine, unfortunately I only got into Super Play a few issues before before it ended. I loved it's unique Japanese slant, this was one of several examples where it made me envious for games that weren't releasing in the UK.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I threw out all my Super Plays about 15-20 years ago, probably had close to a full set except a few later ones. Such a dumb ass. Great mag, it championed imports, RPGs and anime.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ted Woolsey (who translated Secret of Mana) also used to refer to this game as "Secret of Mana 2" in interviews. Which is probably the closest this name got to being an official name.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
I love the "Is there no stopping Squaresoft?" in the upper left on the first page. The answer is, "yes, getting bought out by their major competitor".

Oct 26, 2017
I remember the Swedish edition of Super Play had that exact preview, and I loved the character designs and the screens. Little did I know it would take 24 years to actually get to play it.

Oct 26, 2017
I still think it's weird Super Play decided to go with a "SO JAPANESE!" angle to their Super Nintendo/Super Famicom coverage, when Japan had already singled out the PC Engine/PC Engine Super CD as the system of otaku weirdos.

There were TONS of Super Famicom games that never got released in Europe, so it was indeed the "exotic" choice in terms of imports. We didn't get any Final Fantasy, any Fire Emblem, Earthbound, Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, none of that stuff. We got Secret of Mana and Terranigma and some shit like Lagoon. Europe SUCKED during the 16 bit era.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I still think it's weird Super Play decided to go with a "SO JAPANESE!" angle to their Super Nintendo/Super Famicom coverage, when Japan had already singled out the PC Engine/PC Engine Super CD as the system of otaku weirdos.

Yeah, Super Famicom RPGs like FF were actually seen as pretty "normie" games and the Super Famicom was basically the "normie" console. There's actually a bit about this in the anime/manga Hi-Score Girl.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I think SoM franchise would be up there with FF in popularity if they had localized SD3 back in the day. By 90's standards that game was top notch. Square should have put more effort into it even if that meant changes to art/story/code. Also the game needed 3 player. All these things happened with the hacking community but that was a small audience and too late.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
I think SoM franchise would be up there with FF in popularity if they had localized SD3 back in the day. By 90's standards that game was top notch. Square should have put more effort into it even if that meant changes to art/story/code. Also the game needed 3 player. All these things happened with the hacking community but that was a small audience and too late.
It didn't get released in North America and Europe because it was "too late". It was released in September 1995 in Japan, and if localization went on-schedule and wouldn't get delayed due to all the issues that were encountered when hacking the game, it wouldn't have been out until 3rd or 4th quarter 1996, well into the next generation and when Square would be putting all of its available resources into Final Fantasy VII.

cbrotherson

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
Super Play was *excellent*, and the first publication that really opened my eyes to the games that never came out of Japan.

There was one early issue which had a report from a conference (probably Spaceworld?) in great detail with a ton of games and franchises I'd never heard of, and it was genuinely fascinating.

Yeah, Super Play totally blew me away. Overton's artwork, great writing, and the strong focus on Japanese culture made it essential. I pretty much styled my early games journalism writing on Super Play - and from what I understand, some of its tone and culture savvy was part of the stew that ended up being the template for Edge Magazine.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020

I don't think it would have helped. The series kind of unraveled after 3. People would have played Legend of Mana on PS1 and been very confused.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Super Play totally blew me away. Overton's artwork, great writing, and the strong focus on Japanese culture made it essential. I pretty much styled my early games journalism writing on Super Play - and from what I understand, some of its tone and culture savvy was part of the stew that ended up being the template for Edge Magazine.

I think in that era of Future you could see a reasonable lineage from Your Sinclair to Amiga Power to Super Play, in terms of both writing style and attitude to the subject, and then, yes, onto Edge seems reasonable as well - in each progression getting a little more mature in how they treated the reader and how seriously they handled the subject matter but still with a slight anarchic streak and some witty flair. It's basically my archetype the *writing* side of games journalism being Done Right.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
super play was one of my absolute favourite magazines and a big part of that was the art they had each issue, so good.

edit: wow just realised OP is on about trials of mana? eesh egg on your face there OP, talk about awkward

cbrotherson

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
I think in that era of Future you could see a reasonable lineage from Your Sinclair to Amiga Power to Super Play, in terms of both writing style and attitude to the subject, and then, yes, onto Edge seems reasonable as well - in each progression getting a little more mature in how they treated the reader and how seriously they handled the subject matter but still with a slight anarchic streak and some witty flair. It's basically my archetype the *writing* side of games journalism being Done Right.

Very much so.

My first Future mag was Amstrad Action, so things kinda trickled from there for me (with the odd deviation to Mean Machines/CVG, which satisfied my occasional need for a more bombastic tone, although some Emap writers like Jaz Rignall and Paul Davies remained strong influences despite my Future bias). It became the template for how we approached things in Games Domain and part of my time at Eurogamer (as much as the house style allowed), as many of the staff members at the time had mostly grown up with the same mags. You can still see some of that influence in modern day UK sites, like VGC, although naturally a few of the staff there came from that same era and are just carrying on from where they left off.

Is there a comprehensive repository for some of these old UK mags? My old family home still has all my old mags, but at some point I'll need to sell them, so it would be good to have digital versions to replace them with at some point...

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
The best we had in the U.S. was Diehard GameFan.

fz8SpsL.jpg

RoknKNW.jpg

AhnM2YU.jpg

a30UgGq.jpg

Diehard GameFan was awesome. I still fondly remember constantly going to the bookstore hoping the new issue had arrived. It didn't always release "on time." I sometimes miss having to get news from gaming mags. It was something to look forward to.

More on topic, I have not played SD3, but have the Mana Collection. It's really high up on my "Need to Play" list though. Looking forward to it.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Very much so.

My first Future mag was Amstrad Action, so things kinda trickled from there for me (with the odd deviation to Mean Machines/CVG, which satisfied my occasional need for a more bombastic tone, although some Emap writers like Jaz Rignall and Paul Davies remained strong influences despite my Future bias). It became the template for how we approached things in Games Domain and part of my time at Eurogamer (as much as the house style allowed), as many of the staff members at the time had mostly grown up with the same mags. You can still see some of that influence in modern day UK sites, like VGC, although naturally a few of the staff there came from that same era and are just carrying on from where they left off.

Is there a comprehensive repository for some of these old UK mags? My old family home still has all my old mags, but at some point I'll need to sell them, so it would be good to have digital versions to replace them with at some point...

Spectrum era is very well catered-for by the WorldOfSpectrum archive. I wouldn't be surprised if there's something very similar for the C64.

The Internet Archive has quite a bunch these days, too, although their layout seems a bit... haphazard.

Edit: Here's Amstrad Action, that should get your memories going.

killuglypop

Jan 9, 2020
Never completed the fan translation, I really hated the over world later on in the game. I will say though that this game is hands down the best looking game on the system. And now it's finally here!

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Super Play is the magazine that became NGCMagazine, right? As a kid I was a huge Donkey Konga fan and I remember salivating over the Donkey Konga 3 review they wrote. Also where I first read about Ouendan if I'm remembering correctly. Really awesome that they took it upon themselves to review and cover imports. I'm also still curious how British magazines ended up at local bookstores over here in California, lol.....reading reviews of Japanese imports in a magazine that itself was imported from the UK.

Last edited:

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Super Play is the magazine that became NGCMagazine, right? As a kid I was a huge Donkey Konga fan and I remember salivating over the Donkey Konga 3 review they wrote. I'm also still curious how British magazines ended up at local bookstores over here in California, lol.....reading reviews of Japanese imports in a magazine that itself was imported from the UK.

Yeah it continued as N64 Magazine and then NGC Magazine, though they started to lose a little of the Super Play magic by then. It was super rare to get a Wil Overton cover, for example, and the anime and JRPG sections were pretty much gone. Still a lot of the same staff though, and those guys were just good at reviewing and whatnot in general, so they were still a good read.

krLkFMt.png

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This was also all linked to the growing awareness of Japanese animation in the UK too: Manga Video was starting to bring over films, series and OVA on VHS at the same time, and Super Play covered all that as well, in addition to sharing columnists with the mags specifically covering that stuff.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah it continued as N64 Magazine and then NGC Magazine, though they started to lose a little of the Super Play magic by then. It was super rare to get a Wil Overton cover, for example, and the anime and JRPG sections were pretty much gone. Still a lot of the same staff though, and those guys were just good at reviewing and whatnot in general, so they were still a good read.

krLkFMt.png
Zelda and Mystical Ninja are RPGs, confirmed! :D