• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GraphicViolets

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
F%2B8%2FJM.gif

Important Info:
Available now on itch.io
link: https://ristar.itch.io/secret-little-haven
steam release date: 4-11-2018
link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/827290/Secret_Little_Haven/
price: $5.00
creator: Victoria Dominowski
length: ~3.5 hours (based on my playthrough)
cw: Parental conflict, gaslighting, flashing visuals

Trailer:

Plot:
This game is a simulation of 90s/early 00s desktops, similar to Emily is Away among other games. In it a young trans woman named Alex discovers her identity and deals with her abusive and controlling dad. Your interactions are primarily in instant messager with her internet friends she met on a forum about a magical girl show. Gameplay expands to a few other programs and the terminal.

Why I feel strongly about it:
This game meant a lot to me and the experience nearly mirrored my own. I figured I'd share my story since it shows just how realistic the game is (and I haven't gotten around to writing out my story in the trans day of visibility thread yet...)
When I turned 19 I dropped out of the christian college my parents really wanted me to go to and left the family designated major of engineering. I was depressed beyond anything and took to the internet for what little socialization I could get.
I got """""mistaken""""" as a woman on one forum and decided to just not correct anyone since ya know thats not really lying. One of my friends there showed me her tumblr account and we added each other. From there I saw some of the people she reblogged including trans women who I was absolutely shocked that they existed and even more shocked that they weren't drag queens. I didn't tell anyone but began questioning if I might be trans.

In the mean time my parents started to crack down on my internet activity. They blamed my failures on my "internet addiction" and told me "you can't trust anyone on the internet, they often pretend to be people they're not". They monitored my internet use. They blocked websites I used and started to impose internet curfews, blocking access at different times of the day. That eventually just stopped happening over time since I think they realized I wasn't doing any better plus I had my Vita to connect to the internet (don't know if my dad didn't realize that?). Everytime the eye came up on the computer during the game I had the exact same feeling that I had during this time period. Shame, fear, and worthlessness. Even silly things like the dad saying that Alex should get her hair cut were similar to the conversations that I had with my parents.

I joined NeoGaf specifically because of the transgender community thread and ended up in multiple chatrooms with friends I would meet there. They taught me that all I needed to be a woman is to know that I was and that it was okay to allow myself to be myself. I started hrt, came out to a few friends irl and online, and now get gendered female even in situations like church (to my mom's disapproval :P). Still have a ways to go with coming out and presenting irl largely due to how frightening the idea is to lose most people who I grew up with. I know that means they're in the wrong and I shouldn't want them in my life but its a big jump.
I feel kinda bad about inserting my own story in here but it really shows why this game affected me so much and why its representative of at least one trans woman's experiences.

Why to play:
If you want to understand what trans people go through please play this game. It doesn't entirely explain what its like to feel transgender (the feeling is really abstract) but it does deal with the struggle of coming to grips with yourself and embodies a bunch of related struggles in the NPC's. I think one thing that would help someone who isn't trans get more of it is to image everytime she is gendered female that she gets a light flutter in her stomach, something that feels surprising yet exciting and affirming.
This is especially great for trans people and gender questioning people to feel that they're not alone and that their struggles are felt by many other people.

*****Also before anyone does it DO NOT MISGENDER HER. Alex is a woman, she/her. It does not matter what she once went by, that's who she is.*****

Last edited:

Fable

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds interesting, will definitely check it out.

The gif you posted was a shot of nostalgia, and $5 is a nice impulse purchase price point. Thanks for the recommendation and thank you for sharing your experience.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds pretty interesting, I'll definitely check it out when I get the chance! How bad are the flashing visuals in the game though? I don't have huge issues with flashing lights, but I'd still prefer to avoid it if its too much.

OP
OP
GraphicViolets

GraphicViolets

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds pretty interesting, I'll definitely check it out when I get the chance! How bad are the flashing visuals in the game though? I don't have huge issues with flashing lights, but I'd still prefer to avoid it if its too much.
I don't think its quite strobe effect level but the entire screen kinda flashes a bunch at certain points.
Theres an option to turn it down but you have to re check in everytime a day passes. Instant messaging posts still have a glitch effect at certain points
Theres also a CRT monitor effect that I think it helps to turn off if you're having issues (again you have to recheck it)

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think its quite strobe effect level but the entire screen kinda flashes a bunch at certain points.
Theres an option to turn it down but you have to re check in everytime a day passes. Instant messaging posts still have a glitch effect at certain points
Theres also a CRT monitor effect that I think it helps to turn off if you're having issues (again you have to recheck it)

If there's an option to turn it down, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the recommendation!

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I think I saw this floating around twitter, will have to take a look when I have some time to burn!

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
I'll pick this up, I'll get into playing it for my 52 games fr the year!

lake

Oct 27, 2017
I only played most of the first day so far (and then failed to save because I didn't understand the saving rules) but the writing and concept are ON POINT. It's amazingly realized.

Also the trailer is great. Shout-out to the Neo Geo Pocket Color.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lftJDbcF-j0

(Mods, can you fix the thread title? It should be Haven, not Heaven).

OP
OP
GraphicViolets

GraphicViolets

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I only played most of the first day so far (and then failed to save because I didn't understand the saving rules) but the writing and concept are ON POINT. It's amazingly realized.

Also the trailer is great. Shout-out to the Neo Geo Pocket Color.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lftJDbcF-j0

(Mods, can you fix the thread title? It should be Haven, not Heaven).
didn't actually think to put the trailer in the op. gonna do that now. thanks for bringing it up :)

I had an issue with saving at one point too. unfortunately there are occasional bugs with windows not being usable and stuff and i logged out to clear that and lost that day's progress (second day i think). The issue came up again for me but i figured out how to work around it. Its like the real world operating system experience \o/ *cough* Windows 10

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
I ran into a few glitches while I played, one which necessitated a game restart, but, this was a really enjoyable few hours. I'm not trans myself, but, I have many friends who are, and, this was a really good look at not only some of the struggles they have had to go through, but the struggles of the generation before me (I was 4 in the time this game was set). I grew up always knowing about trans people, so, Alex's confusion was strange at first, but, I took a step back, and realised, the world I grew up in was very different to the world that Alex and Sammy and Laguna all grew up in.

Getting to help each of your friends just before the final showdown face themselves, and look at what help they needed, and the steps they needed to take, was really nice, and for me, Andy listening, was probably the most cathartic. Andy legitimately terrified me, I was waiting for him to shoot up a school, or shoot Alex, or Cassandra, or just...have that toxic masculinity explode in some other direction outwards and people would be hurt.

Well worth the $5 for everyone to experience, I think. Even if you're not trans, I think many of us can relate to the struggles of Alex, of Jenni, of Sammy, and, stepping into the shoes of a young trans girl finding her way will really help people empathise or bring to light struggles people may not be aware of for trans people. It's also making it's way to Steam very soon I discovered, and should be out next week!

lake

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, that's awesome about Steam!

(I already bought it on Itch.io though.)

Fable

Oct 25, 2017
Well that makes things even easier if it's going to be on Steam, went ahead and added it to my wish list, thanks laoni!

OP
OP
GraphicViolets

GraphicViolets

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I ran into a few glitches while I played, one which necessitated a game restart, but, this was a really enjoyable few hours. I'm not trans myself, but, I have many friends who are, and, this was a really good look at not only some of the struggles they have had to go through, but the struggles of the generation before me (I was 4 in the time this game was set). I grew up always knowing about trans people, so, Alex's confusion was strange at first, but, I took a step back, and realised, the world I grew up in was very different to the world that Alex and Sammy and Laguna all grew up in.

Getting to help each of your friends just before the final showdown face themselves, and look at what help they needed, and the steps they needed to take, was really nice, and for me, Andy listening, was probably the most cathartic. Andy legitimately terrified me, I was waiting for him to shoot up a school, or shoot Alex, or Cassandra, or just...have that toxic masculinity explode in some other direction outwards and people would be hurt.

Well worth the $5 for everyone to experience, I think. Even if you're not trans, I think many of us can relate to the struggles of Alex, of Jenni, of Sammy, and, stepping into the shoes of a young trans girl finding her way will really help people empathise or bring to light struggles people may not be aware of for trans people. It's also making it's way to Steam very soon I discovered, and should be out next week!
I'd be interested in what you saw as things that were exclusive to that time period. The things I mentioned when I was 19 was in 2011 so for me at least I didn't feel like it was considerably different than when I was a late teen. I did though grow up on a macintosh then a power mac then an imac so that was really neat for me to see.

I've been trying to write games about my experiences for a bit but one of the main reason i keep getting discouraged is I have trouble making a positive ending. I don't think what happened with andy or the dad were realistic but i do think it was necessary to properly resolve the conflict and to show people how they should change so that they're good to the people they care about and generally be better people.

thanks for mentioning that about steam. I'll put that in the op :D

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Really interesting OP, don't have any experience with anything trans, maybe this game will give me a different perspective in all this than what I usually hear/see in the media.

Also read your life story, hope you're doing fine now.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be interested in what you saw as things that were exclusive to that time period. The things I mentioned when I was 19 was in 2011 so for me at least I didn't feel like it was considerably different than when I was a late teen. I did though grow up on a macintosh then a power mac then an imac so that was really neat for me to see.

I've been trying to write games about my experiences for a bit but one of the main reason i keep getting discouraged is I have trouble making a positive ending. I don't think what happened with andy or the dad were realistic but i do think it was necessary to properly resolve the conflict and to show people how they should change so that they're good to the people they care about and generally be better people.

thanks for mentioning that about steam. I'll put that in the op :D

I guess it's less of a thing I saw and...I dunno. I can't ever think back to some crystallising moment in which I learned about trans people, it just sort of feels...like I always knew? My family are all pretty sex-positive, with a mix of sexual preferences over my immediate family, so that could have tied into it, as well as being in Australia versus the US. It could have come from my family when I asked about what penises were, or from a book in our library, or from having unsupervised and unfettered internet access at 5 (2000). My Mum pretty much honestly answered any questions I had growing up. The OS reminded me of those Macs we had in my first year of school but, they were soon updated/replaced as I got older. So it was very sort of, reminiscent of my days as a young young child.

I agree that they were pretty unrealistic, but, for the tone of the game, it was really what was needed. I was honestly sitting at the end of the game, contemplating each choice, and what I thought would be able to help each character the most. I think if every relationship had ended negatively in this game, it would have suffered as an experience.

OP
OP
GraphicViolets

GraphicViolets

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
comes out on steam today!
highly recommend it

edit. well i saw a tweet that said it did but here its steam page says february and my op says march 11th. i'm confused

oh well guess this thread is bumped anyway

edit edit. no i was right it *is* today. guess the february date was the itch.io date and its steam release date got pushed back around a week

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I had not heard of this game before, but it looks quite interesting and honestly it's really important to have media with positive trans people depictions.
I have a bit of Steam credit, so I'm picking it up, as for the next two months, all proceeds go to the Mermaids charity (the same Hbomberguy's stream is donating towards).

Here is the dev's twitter where she mentions about the donations and such:
https://twitter.com/QuestForTori

Maybe the OP can update to mention this? And a mod could update the title? Get this game some more visibility!