• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how you would compare the two. The TV version will have nothing to do with the comic version outside the basic concept of aliens living among us in hiding.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm going in not expecting to like it much. Not so much because of the comic story but because I tend to hate anything with clones/fakes/doubles. If I can't trust a character is really that character than everything they do kinda loses meaning and interest for me. But hey maybe they will surprise me.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I wasn't there for comics Secrest Invitation, but wasn't the point that no one (readers) knew it was coming? I'm curious to see how the MCU tackles "surprise they were all Skrulls!" when we all know what Secrete Infestations is.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Secret Invasion will be a lesser event than the comics because revealing an MCU character like Thor was a Skrull for years would undermine all that character development. There's still potential for a fun minor event though.
I would hate this so much as a fan of D+ MCU.

Like if I like a character and everything they've done only to reveal they are some alien species "playing" a role of the original which I assume was killed by a Skrull or something. That's like that comic with Doc Oct becoming Spidey. Like nah. I'm not here for Marvel's twilight zone show.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
hammer.jpg

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I kinda hate people making fun of the OP for spelling errors when it's clear English isn't his first language.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It was okay, but the run up in New Avengers was fun to read in the books at the time and so was the mystery if you were reading books around then

Jun 16, 2018
Secret Invasion had some fun stuff but idk why they're adapting it on D+. It kind of loses its impact if we don't see 3/4 of the main MCU characters in an absolute panic unless they're crazy enough to actually pay for all the actors to be in it

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Like if I like a character and everything they've done only to reveal they are some alien species "playing" a role of the original which I assume was killed by a Skrull or something. That's like that comic with Doc Oct becoming Spidey. Like nah. I'm not here for Marvel's twilight zone show.
Except Superior Spider-Man is one of the better Spidey stories in the post OMD era.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017

Superior Spidey is a completely different situation from Secret Invasion though so not a great example. I'm reading it at the moment and think its great fun. Peter's character is not undermined by Doc Ock at all, Peter is still Peter. Unlike Secret Invasion when we find out some major characters had been kidnapped all along.

I like the idea that the undercover Skrulls actually believed who they were until they hear a codeword though. That's some Jason Bourne type shit.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Except Superior Spider-Man is one of the better Spidey stories in the post OMD era.
I think if you are into the comics, sure it must be great stories. I'm not saying they aren't or don't have potential but not sure how well it would it would work on the live action shows. The cast won't be there forever so in the future maybe they can start to have alternate versions of the main heroes to "keep things fresh" but I feel its too soon?

Edit: I will say though that if they might be onto something. Isn't Nick Fury working with them in space somewhere? I guess if it's handled properly, I can see it working. Maybe faking a character's death only to find out they were a Skrull lol. I guess the more I think about it, I'd me more ok with it.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think if you are into the comics, sure it must be great stories. I'm not saying they aren't or don't have potential but not sure how well it would it would work on the live action shows. The cast won't be there forever so in the future maybe they can start to have alternate versions of the main heroes to "keep things fresh" but I feel its too soon?

Edit: I will say though that if they might be onto something. Isn't Nick Fury working with them in space somewhere? I guess if it's handled properly, I can see it working. Maybe faking a character's death only to find out they were a Skrull lol. I guess the more I think about it, I'd me more ok with it.
I actually would prefer it being smaller scale anyways. A small cult that needs to be rooted out filled with intrigue and spy stuff seems more interesting to me than the worldwide event the comics were. Instead of making previous characters skrulls for shock value go with any face in the crowd could be a skrull and build the themes and tension based on the good guys paranoia and keep the skrulls a cult and focus hard on them being and acting like a cult.

Could be a perfect D+ show. I loved the comic event but would still prefer this to be a loose adaption, looser the better.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Secret Invasion will be a lesser event than the comics because revealing an MCU character like Thor was a Skrull for years would undermine all that character development. There's still potential for a fun minor event though.
Even in the comics it felt like they didn't pick anyone relevant (at least not anyone to be replaced for months/years before the event). There was that ship with old versions of heroes who all turned out to be Skrulls but considering how they were introduced in Secret Invasion itself it didn't really mean anything aside from one character.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
As long as they don't make the skrulls space jihadists it will be ok. I cringed so hard whenever Skrulls uttered the word « jihad » . They're aliens, how would they know this word ?
How do they know any Earth words? Jihad isn't a proper noun, there's no reason whatever is translating (some tech, they learned the language, etc) wouldn't translate this word too.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Even in the comics it felt like they didn't pick anyone relevant (at least not anyone to be replaced for months/years before the event). There was that ship with old versions of heroes who all turned out to be Skrulls but considering how they were introduced in Secret Invasion itself it didn't really mean anything aside from one character.

It was also an interesting way to bring back dead characters too lol. Just a shame they didn't do anything remotely interesting with Bobbi for years afterwards to justify her return. I wonder if there's anyone in the MCU that they could bring back by saying it was only a skrull who died on-screen (other than Tony lol).

Honestly, I kind of love the excuse Bendis came up with to explain all this shit away, the skrulls truly believed the characters they were imitating, so everything they did all those years was still in line with the real character's personalities.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
How do they know any Earth words? Jihad isn't a proper noun, there's no reason whatever is translating (some tech, they learned the language, etc) wouldn't translate this word too.
They could have said crusade or holy war, it's the writers will to frame them as space Muslims that I found cringe.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's no way it's gonna end up much like the comic story anyway. The MCU has real life people to deal with, and like, not 40 years of canon to retcon. And the skrulls are good guys here anyway. I imagine it'll largely just be a springboard.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
The skrulls we know are good guys. Captain Marvel - the film- argues that in war there aren't any good guys and the skrulls have done bad shit to the kree in the past. We're talking about an entire alien race, not all of them are good.

And their empire does not seem to be in great shape at the moment, which is right where they were when Veranke ascended.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Secret Invasion was the culmination of like years of set up. So yea, if you read the event by itself, it might feel like its just a stupid shape shifter story where people just turn into Skrulls randomly lol. But if you had been reading Bendis's New Avengers leading up to the event, it felt a lot more natural. The only real surprise to me was the stuff with Spider-woman being the Skrull queen or whoever.

And I really dont think Sharon Carter was a Skrull in FATWS lol. She might have been working for Nick Fury and SWORD in like deep cover, but the very end of the last episode makes me think that she really is just pissed off at the US Government.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
I fully expect Sacred Inversion doppelgängers to be characters on Darcy, Luis level of importance, or if it is someone prominent they will reveal it was only during the self contained timeline of the series. They'll never say "Tony Stark was a Skrull during engdame!"