• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017

So first of all never ignore anything a white hacker says at all

Second of all, a felon with guns is never any good but a hacker with guns has been in some real stank shit.

third of all, the lady was transgender had little to no support from any online communities and she started down this path of darkness because of alcoholism/dsyphoria.

so if you got hit with capitol one breach, condolences and you have Bezos' toxic workplace to thank for her path to insanity

it really didn't help her online nick was 'erratic"

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
She had 8 different employers in 12 years (all lasting about a year) and she was stalking another employee at Amazon according to the NYT not getting harassed. Amazon's policies are very non-discriminatory, and it's not a tech-bro company like Facebook or Reddit.

Spinluck

â–² Legend â–²
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
She had 8 different employers in 12 years (all lasting about a year) and she was stalking another employee at Amazon according to the NYT not getting harassed. Amazon's policies are very non-discriminatory, and it's not a tech-bro company like Facebook or Reddit.

Which is it? The Seattle Times said she was getting harassed. Also mentioned in the same sentence that she is transgender and now I'm wondering if that's connected to the harassment or if she was the harass. Really weird thing to mix up if it's what started her drinking problem at work.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a cry for attention and help. She said that this was going to be something they couldn't just brush her off to a crisis clinic for. This is sad. I just moved to Seattle and im very knowledgeable about healthcare and getting doctors set up, but I've had a lot of difficulty finding a therapist that is taking new patients and is in my network. They have a crisis clinic but I want a real therapy plan. This woman slipped through the cracks of healthcare. She needed help with transgender issues and depression and it looks like this breach was her way of getting the world to finally take her seriously.

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
Which is it? The Seattle Times said she was getting harassed. Also mentioned in the same sentence that she is transgender and now I'm wondering if that's connected to the harassment or if she was the harass. Really weird thing to mix up if it's what started her drinking problem at work.

After Ms. Thompson departed Amazon, Ms. Stensberg said they continued to face problems with her. That ultimately led the couple to go down to a courthouse to file for a protective order, with Ms. Stensberg and her husband both describing Ms. Thompson as engaging in stalking and harassment, including messages that included their home address.

Basically, her troubles, drinking, etc began before Amazon. They just happened to be the last place willing to employ her.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a cry for attention and help. She said that this was going to be something they couldn't just brush her off to a crisis clinic for. This is sad. I just moved to Seattle and im very knowledgeable about healthcare and getting doctors set up, but I've had a lot of difficulty finding a therapist that is taking new patients and is in my network. They have a crisis clinic but I want a real therapy plan. This woman slipped through the cracks of healthcare. She needed help with transgender issues and depression and it looks like this breach was her way of getting the world to finally take her seriously.

I mean when you put it that way, it makes sense.

Obviously I'm not hand-waving what she did... but maybe this should wake up some folks to the fact that human beings are... human beings.

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
Well fuck.

Terrible situation all around. Her behavior is way out of line but she needs help and we all know why she isn't getting it.

To be fair, the couple she harassed were friends with her before and offered to pay for therapy and other help she needed. She declined. You can't easily help someone who doesn't accept help.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017

So first of all never ignore anything a white hacker says at all

Second of all, a felon with guns is never any good but a hacker with guns has been in some real stank shit.

third of all, the lady was transgender had little to no support from any online communities and she started down this path of darkness because of alcoholism/dsyphoria.

so if you got hit with capitol one breach, condolences and you have Bezos' toxic workplace to thank for her path to insanity

it really didn't help her online nick was 'erratic"

Are you fucking kidding me? 120,000 social security numbers were stolen mine and others on this forum could have been affected and could be at risk of identify theft and other fraudulent issues and this thread is supposed to elicit my sympathy because the criminal is transgender and fucked over by amazon? Seriously? So this person's struggle justifies thousand of innocent people getting fucked over?

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Are you fucking kidding me? 172,000 social security numbers were stolen, mine and others on this forum could have been affected and could be at risk of identify theft and other fraudulent issues and this thread is supposed to elicit my sympathy because the criminal is transgender and fucked over by amazon? Seriously? So this person's struggle justifies thousand of innocent people getting fucked over?
The OP never said anything about justification, they just have some sympathy is all

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'm sorry, but none of this is any excuse or justification for fucking with people's data. Sucks she's had a rough life but plenty of people have rough lives without fucking other people over and creating massive inconveniences.

Her crimes are nobody's fault but her own.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your information was only possibly compromised if you applied for a small business card and other articles indicate they believe she did not actually use or sell the stolen information to anyone.

She's a criminal, but let's keep things in perspective here. She didn't murder anybody. Jeff Bezos refusing to pay taxes has a bigger impact on you financially than this woman.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Your information was only possibly compromised if you applied for a small business card and other articles indicate they believe she did not actually use or sell the stolen information to anyone.

She's a criminal, but let's keep things in perspective here. She didn't murder anybody. Jeff Bezos refusing to pay taxes has a bigger impact on you financially than this woman.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize Jeff Bezos not paying his taxes puts my bank account information and social security number online. I should blame him for getting a notice from capital one that my information may have been compromised.

Dec 12, 2017
Are you fucking kidding me? 120,000 social security numbers were stolen mine and others on this forum could have been affected and could be at risk of identify theft and other fraudulent issues and this thread is supposed to elicit my sympathy because the criminal is transgender and fucked over by amazon? Seriously? So this person's struggle justifies thousand of innocent people getting fucked over?
Seriously, this thread is ridiculous. Blame Bezos??? What about the thousands of other AMZN employees that didn't feel like stealing our data because of their work environment??

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Many people have rough lives and I feel bad for them. However, many others have rough lives and don't take a shit on other people. Two wrongs doesn't make anything right.

Not onboard handwaving or whataboutism with Bezos.

Spinluck

â–² Legend â–²
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago

These breeches happen literally all the time.

Most of the time it's hackers fucking around. She was probably fucking around. Nothing will happen to your info. Besides she did alert them of the vulnerabilities but they told her to fuck off.

She was wrong with how she followed up but idk, I can sympathize, even if some of her issues were self inflicted (alcoholism).

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Well damn, you usually think these things are the doings of some nefarious organization with plans to profit off the things they steal but I guess sometimes it can just be a single person whose gone to a dark dark place

Clearly she should pay the consequences of her crime, but hopefully somehow she gets some help and they can rehabilitate her. It sounds like a shit situation all around

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
I worked in AWS infrastructure for 3 years and it was pretty fuckin' tech-bro on that side of the house. One of my co-workers had a full blown nervous breakdown due to the stress.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'll admit to being surprised at the amount of people in here showing sympathy.

God knows, the message isn't "treat humans like humans" when a victim of bullying shoots up a school.

Maybe the difference is no lives were taken.

It's a shame, and I feel bad for her (as I usually do for ostracized people who hurt others), I just wasn't expecting so many others here to.

Oct 28, 2017
OP is really trying to blame Bezos for this one....
Some people just want to blame everything on tech companies.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Also, a million SIN numbers in Canada were taken. Capital One sent a message they would be contacting those affected. SINs in Canada are the equivalent of social security numbers.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
OP... Uh ok. The person clearly has issues. They may have had a atypical background which warrants some discussion but that doesn't excuse their shitty behavior. I'm certainly not going to treat them as a victim.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Does Bezos refuse to pay taxes or does Bezos pay as little in taxes as he legally can?

It's shit that Bezos and Amazon doesn't pay taxes, but I don't volunteer to pay more taxes than I have to either. The blame for that goes to Washington.

NexusCell

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

I imagine people won't be so forgiving if the perpetrator was some white cisgender male suffering from depression.

I apply the same standards to everyone. While I'm sorry that she suffered from difficulties with dysphoria and depression, the are plenty of other transgender individuals who don't perform criminal acts with the same problems. She did a shitty thing, now she has to face the consequences. I don't have much sympathy for her.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
A criminal is a criminal.

Should never have done this, she has affected so many people by her stupid criminal activities.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

Downplaying black hats isn't something I'd thought I'd ever see here.

Your social security getting exposed could ruin your life.

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
She is to blame for sure. Harming innocent people is rucked. But to act like someone like Bezos and what he represents in our society isn't also to blame? That they don't play a part in this fucked system that contributes to someone doing this? Get the fuck out if here.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, it's just acknowledging that people who commit crimes are human and have their own struggles. Nothing wrong with acknowledging that while also condemning their crimes. Maybe if we did more of that in this country we wouldn't have such a fucked up justice system.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
No, it's just acknowledging that people who commit crimes are human and have their own struggles. Nothing wrong with acknowledging that while also condemning their crimes. Maybe if we did more of that in this country we wouldn't have such a fucked up justice system.

WILL SOMEONE THINK OF THE CRIMINALS PLEASE

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WILL SOMEONE THINK OF THE CRIMINALS PLEASE
I mean, have you seen the state of the US prison system? Yeah, someone should be thinking of them.

Her actions with this hack were fucked up and wrong. Her life circumstances were also fucked up and wrong. It's possible to acknowledge both. Treating people who commit crimes (especially non-violent crimes) like sub-humans is extremely destructive for society.

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, have you seen the state of the US prison system? Yeah, someone should be thinking of them.

Her actions with this hack were fucked up and wrong. Her life circumstances were also fucked up and wrong. It's possible to acknowledge both. Treating people who commit crimes (especially non-violent crimes) like sub-humans is extremely destructive for society.
Who is treating her like subhuman here?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory off-topic commentary
Just a daily reminder that even trans people benefit from white privilege. Would this article with this specific framing exist if Thompson was black? 🤔

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Are you fucking kidding me? 120,000 social security numbers were stolen mine and others on this forum could have been affected and could be at risk of identify theft and other fraudulent issues and this thread is supposed to elicit my sympathy because the criminal is transgender and fucked over by amazon?

From more revelations in this thread, doesn't seem to be the case.

Capital One needs to be punished too for not taking action to secure their data.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017

No one is saying anything about treating her or anyone else like a subhuman. She actively and knowingly committed a crime that fucks over hundred of thousands of innocent people. She most certainly deserves to be prosecuted by the law and has earned the punishment that comes her way. Her being transgender or fucked over by amazon does not in any way excuse her crimes (not that this was your own argument, just the argument of the thread).

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who is treating her like subhuman here?
Suggesting that there is no way her situation could garner any sympathy simply because she committed a crime is pretty close. The sarcastic "won't someone think of the criminals" is implying that, you know, no one should be concerned about how they are viewed and treated even though as a society we really should be concerned.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No one is saying anything about treating her or anyone else like a subhuman. She actively and knowingly committed a crime that fucks over hundred of thousands of innocent people. She most certainly deserves to be prosecuted by the law and has earned the punishment that comes her way. Her being transgender or fucked over by amazon does not in any way excuse her crimes (not that this was your own argument, just the argument of the thread).
You could've just said that instead of the sarcastic bullshit you posted instead. Of course it doesn't excuse her crimes, but it provides some understanding of WHY she did this, which is both useful and SHOULD engender at least a small level of sympathy given how hard it is to be trans in this country.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
You could've just said that instead of the sarcastic bullshit you posted instead. Of course it doesn't excuse her crimes, but it provides some understanding of WHY she did this, which is both useful and SHOULD engender at least a small level of sympathy given how hard it is to be trans in this country.

I have no sympathy to anyone that endangers my social security number and bank account information. Fuck that.

Oct 28, 2017
Suggesting that there is no way her situation could garner any sympathy simply because she committed a crime is pretty close. The sarcastic "won't someone think of the criminals" is implying that, you know, no one should be concerned about how they are viewed and treated even though as a society we really should be concerned.
It's pretty obvious that those statements are being made in the context of how there are literally over 100,000 victims for her actions and that it feels improper to put her situation and issues up first and foremost.

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty obvious that those statements are being made in the context of how there are literally over 100,000 victims for her actions and that it feels improper to put her situation and issues up first and foremost.

There's already a thread discussing the cap one breach though. This story and the OPs post is about the perpetrator as that is the news of the moment. If they had put the condolences first in that post and not 2nd to last you'd be ok with it? That just feels nit picky...

Oct 28, 2017
There's already a thread discussing the cap one breach though. This story and the OPs post is about the perpetrator as that is the news of the moment. If they had put the condolences first in that post and not 2nd to last you'd be ok with it? That just feels nit picky...
I don't see how this being a separate thread means anything. People are going to feel about the situation based on the facts between the hacker and victims, not based on what thread it is.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how this being a separate thread means anything. People are going to feel about the situation based on the facts between the hacker and victims, not based on what thread it is.

That's fine, but my point with the comment about the other thread was more an opposition to your point that it "feels improper to put her situation and issues up first and foremost." I found that wrong because
A) there was in fact a thread about the crime and the victims before this one
B) the op addressed the victims
C) the news story is about the facts of the perpetrators life mixed with opinions from those around her so it's not the news outlets duty in this case to add in sympathy for victims

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Also, a million SIN numbers in Canada were taken. Capital One sent a message they would be contacting those affected. SINs in Canada are the equivalent of social security numbers.

A million SIN numbers? That seems out of proportion to what was reported...?

edit: Ah yes, I now have it. About 1 million SIN numbers compromised.

Oct 25, 2017
China
You really have no idea how cause and effect work, do you think that those 100,000s of victims would even have existed if she had got the understanding, compassion and support she needed? You are so cold dude, right up until it's a situation where you are the victim.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
You really have no idea how cause and effect work, do you think that those 100,000s of victims would even have existed if she had got the understanding, compassion and support she needed? You are so cold dude, right up until it's a situation where you are the victim.

Doesn't the other article state that she was offered support by her friends including paying for therapy and she refused it? At what point does she become culpable?