• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Very interested to see the averages of other cities in the country as they become available but for now here is Seattle's:
SEATTLE -- Seattle is getting warmer... and wetter, according to the latest upcoming updates to our long-time weather averages.

With the change in the decade comes an update to the published 30-year weather averages that NOAA calculates for each city in the U.S.

The averages that we use in TV weather broadcasts and what you read on National Weather Service daily and monthly climate products are for a 30-year period. Currently we are using the period of record from 1981-2010 but soon will update those numbers to reflect the period of 1991-2020.

For Seattle, replacing the 80s with the 2010s will skew the data warmer and wetter. The official updates are expected to be published sometime in May 2021, but Dana Felton with the Seattle office of the National Weather Service has computed the numbers so far and can give us a close estimate of what the city's new averages will look like.

Rainfall:
9b7d510d-5c2e-4546-a330-1f763644fd1a-medium16x9_seattle_new_avg_rainfall_blue.jpg

Temp:
d7f9d8d6-0ddb-49e1-83d9-37aeda33c918-medium16x9_seattle_new_avg_temp_blue2.jpg

More at the link:
komonews.com

Seattle's weather averages: Getting warmer... and wetter

SEATTLE -- Seattle is getting warmer... and wetter, according to the latest upcoming updates to our long-time weather averages. With the change in the decade comes an update to the published 30-year weather averages that NOAA calculates for each city in the U. S. The averages that we use in TV...

Last edited:

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
I always thought of Seattle as a potential Florida replacement for me. I love rain but wanted cooler weather and more consistent rainy days. Sounds like it's a Florida to the North :P

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I always thought of Seattle as a potential Florida replacement for me. I love rain but wanted cooler weather and more consistent rainy days. Sounds like it's a Florida to the North :P
As a misanthropic Seattleite my gut is telling me that it is the absolute furthest place from Florida on an existential level, but I have never been to Florida and don't get out of the house so who knows really.

Edit: but yes we get drizzle for 200 days of the year so come on up

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wetter? Yes. It's raining today.

Warmer? No. it's 54 degrees.

Pack it up science, ya goofed.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
As a misanthropic Seattleite my gut is telling me that it is the absolute furthest place from Florida on an existential level, but I have never been to Florida and don't get out of the house so who knows really.

Edit: but yes we get drizzle for 200 days of the year so come on up
This is why I personally want to move there one day lol.

I despise Florida weather. It is just the absolute worst all year round.

OP
OP
fluffydelusions
Oct 25, 2017

I was stationed in Florida for a year and live in western Washington now...very different in terms of rain pattern. From what I remember about Florida is that it would frequently rain during summer months rather briefly (and heavily) for a few hours in the afternoon then go back to being insanely hot/sunny/humid. Seattle is sorta the opposite. Summers here are dry and late fall through late spring is where we get all the rain but it's never really heavy like Florida...more like this never ending drizzle accompanied by overcast skies most of the year.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
MMMM

Just like I like it.

Not really, I hate constant rain. I need to move somewhere where it's 0% humidity and 72f year round. Humidity/heat here sucks.

Edit** So I'm clear, I live in South Carolina...not Seattle.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I visited earlier this year and your way off. Was bone chilling cold (above freezing still), wet with no aspects of tropical being seen.

I think they also just had one of the coolest June or July's didn't they?
I mean, it'll keep getting warmer and warmer with climate change. San Diego used to be 72-75 year round and now it gets up to the 90s in the summer at times and kinda humid.

The PNW will probably be the last region to become affected by climate change.

Oct 27, 2017

Come on up. I look forward to saying we should do something next weekend and then never talking to you again.
As for getting hotter, I don't doubt it. I remember a couple times as a kid being able to snowmobile from the Canyon Park area to downtown Bothell, for instance.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
i miss the rain and the greyness so i open it with welcome arms !! hehe should be nice again tomorrow though

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Our seasons are getting harsher, too. Our falls have more severe wind and rain, our winters have had more nasty snowstorms, our summers start later but get hotter and our wildfires are getting worse.

Not good.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
In Minneapolis we've been getting warmer, except for deep winter. Last year they kept putting up maps of the world's warmest winter on record and then there'd be this big blue blob on Minnesota and the Dakotas. Like "everywhere in the world....except you." Which is good in the long run, but if we're all gonna die anyway, maybe we could not have the -40 windchills, please and thank you?