• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
One way to help ensure that residents continue to use outdoor space in their neighborhood is to close off streets to vehicular traffic and have more bike/pedestrian access.

q13fox.com

Seattle to permanently close 20 miles of streets to traffic so residents can exercise on them

Almost 20 miles of Seattle streets will permanently close to most vehicles by the end of May, Mayor Jenny Durkan said Thursday.

SEATTLE -- Seattle will keep 20 miles of streets closed as part of its Stay Healthy Streets program, the mayor announced.

The Stay Healthy Streets program launched on April 17 to "meet livability and sustainability values." The initial program closed 2.5 miles as a measure to create pedestrian-friendly street access during closures due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The success of that pilot program led to Seattle closing 15 miles of streets for recreational exercise. Now, the city is closing 20 miles of road permanently, with plans to add an additional three miles as well as bike access.

"We are in a marathon and not a sprint in our fight against COVID-19," said Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan. "As we assess how to make the changes that have kept us safe and healthy sustainable for the long term, we must ensure Seattle is rebuilding better than before."

"Stay Healthy Streets are an important tool for families in our neighborhoods to get outside, get some exercise and enjoy the nice weather. Over the long term, these streets will become treasured assets in our neighborhoods."

The city acknowledges the significant impact that the closure will make to transit capacity, but the Mayor believes that the benefits will outweigh any drawbacks. The program will look to connect with parks and other public spaces, creating direct and easy access for safe outdoor recreation.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Awesome. There need to be more places for people to use bikes for commuting that aren't roads that are shared with motor vehicles. Hell, more places to ride your bike that isn't in/near traffic or park trails is more than welcome. I'd definitely ride my bike more if I wasn't constantly on the lookout for angry drivers.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We did this in my city and the roads were packed with people, but I guess better than the alternative as its a fools errand to expect everyone to stay in their house as the weather gets nicer.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Just use the West Seattle bridge, since it's closed for repairs until freakin' 2022. Foot traffic is probably safe enough :|

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
Very cool idea.

Dumb question and probably already know the answer.: Are people living on those streets allow to use their vehicles, and this is only stopping any additional traffic, similar to road closures for road work?

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting approach rather than dealing with opening the limited outdoor spaces many cities have and overcrowding them. It's good to get outside and get exercise, but it needs to be safe to be sustainable.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
so jealous! our mayor, john tory, is so useless and subservient to the car-loving burbs that he'd never consider something like this

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
There's a council motion in the pipeline to explore this sort of thing in nearby Vancouver BC. TBH pretty surprised that council isn't acting to do this sort of thing faster. They've only really closed off one road near English Bay and through Stanley Park.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
What a beautifully practical and citizens helping idea.

There are people are there who don't exercise. They're told they don't want it enough and to stop being lazy. I call bullshit. If you give people an opportunity, they'll take it. Same with schools and public transportation. They're provided so people use them.

But what are we doing for the health of most people? They have so many opportunities to smoke and eat like shit. Gyms cost money. And even if they're cheap, they have a stigma. Or heck, some people don't like to be indoors!

This is a great idea and I hope more cities follow it!

Oct 25, 2017
There's some cool studies from cities in Europe that started closing streets to traffic. As it turns out, making cities for the people living in them rather than people passing through improves quality of life, who'd have thunk it?

It's kinda interesting that Seattle has been making driving harder and I think what they are finding isn't that traffic is getting worse, it's that people stop driving.

opus

Oct 25, 2017
Very cool idea.

Dumb question and probably already know the answer.: Are people living on those streets allow to use their vehicles, and this is only stopping any additional traffic, similar to road closures for road work?
One of these streets is in front of my house, where my wife and I (and the rest of the block) park. It was still open to local traffic, so I presume (I hope) that remains the case.

Just use the West Seattle bridge, since it's closed for repairs until freakin' 2022. Foot traffic is probably safe enough :|

Considering they just told all of us in West Seattle to sign up for alerts in the case of imminent collapse, maybe not so much...

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
My easy way to drive over to Greenwood/Phinney and the Ballard Goodwill has been permanently closed to car traffic. Bummer as it also gave you some amazing views of Green Lake coming down the hill. Oh well.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
There's a council motion in the pipeline to explore this sort of thing in nearby Vancouver BC. TBH pretty surprised that council isn't acting to do this sort of thing faster. They've only really closed off one road near English Bay and through Stanley Park.

Everywhere DT should be pedestrianized outside of a couple major arterial routes imo - I'm thinking West Georgia, Denman and maybe Davie

leder

Oct 25, 2017
There's some cool studies from cities in Europe that started closing streets to traffic. As it turns out, making cities for the people living in them rather than people passing through improves quality of life, who'd have thunk it?

It's kinda interesting that Seattle has been making driving harder and I think what they are finding isn't that traffic is getting worse, it's that people stop driving.
Huh? Traffic has gotten way worse. Pre-pandemic of course.

It's also, of course, been horribly lopsided. The richest parts of the city have had lane reductions and roads closed to through traffic, pushing more traffic into the poorer areas.