• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mintzilla

Nov 6, 2017
Canada
Won't this lead to the death of all people with disabilities in Seattle?

At least that's what's that's other thread lead me to believe.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly amazes me the amount of plastic still being circulated by fast food joints. Step up your cardboard game, QSRs.

Ramuh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't ever tried it, but is there a plant based alternative straw? A paper one? Doesn't seem a big deal. Do it.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Reusable ones. My girlfriend carries around a glass and a metal straw for when we go out. They even have collapseable ones if space is an issue.

That sounds wise, however you can't convince the entire city of Seattle to carry around straws with them, especially the ones that go to fast food restaurants.

And paper straws that folks keep mentioning, how does that work? Same thickness/durability as paper cup?

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
Reasonable policy that everyone should be for. I'm so happy that these small changes are happening as they might lead to bigger changes.

The holy grail is federal regulation.

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
That sounds wise, however you can't convince the entire city of Seattle to carry around straws with them, especially the ones that go to fast food restaurants.

And paper straws that folks keep mentioning, how does that work? Same thickness/durability as paper cup?

Assuming it's a sit down restaurant, they can serve with reusable straws just like silverware. Fast food, admittedly, I do not know a solution to that.

As for paper straws, they function long enough, but have a habit of making it only one or two drinks. Still, miles better than a plastic straw choking an animal.

Grigorig

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah our NY office has started with compostable plastic cups, can't tell them apart from the old ones. But yes, I'm all in favour of this.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I mean the solution for straws can just be to not give straws anymore. Keep some of the disposable plastic ones around for those who need them, but just don't give them out by default.

Oct 25, 2017
I had how much plastic is wasted in NJ

I went to buy a single bag of bananas. Theyre in a plastic bag already.

At the checkout I placed my reusable bag on the counter while I paid.

I looked up, and the cashier had placed my bananas, already in a plastic bag, inside not one but TWO other plastic bags.

I gave them back to her and placed my bananas in my reusable bag.

Moving from an educated suburb of Washington DC to New York it was shocking how wasteful the city is. We don't even have recycling at my apartment. Everything at bodegas seems to get double-bagged, and cashiers look at me like I'm crazy when I bring tote bags for groceries.

At my workplace, all of our disposable cold cups and utensils are compostable (as are our disposable hot cups, plates & bowls) which is awesome. Particularly the cold cups, which feel indistinguishable from plastic cups, are fantastic while I prefer the feel of the starch-based utensils to that of regular plastic ones.

Good move on Seattle for implementing this.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I hate straws and think they're super gross. I don't know why, but I always have.

I hope they all go away forever.

amoriskog

Dec 13, 2019
USA
That`s the correct decision! I hope more cities and even countries will follow Seattle`s example. Plastic is a slow killer but it kills slowly but surely... I stopped using plastic straws 4-5 years ago. I tried a bunch of different types - paper, glass, metal straws. I really hate paper straws as they always get soft in the water =/ Right now I use YesStraws straws (from wheat) and I must say I enjoy them. They are pretty easy to crumble, but if you are careful - they will be fine.
Also if you are looking for a plastic straws alternative I can recommend to test metal straw. You can easily bring it with you wherever you go, but don`t forget that its metal and you need to use it with cautious...

Oct 28, 2017
Don't even bother with paper straws. You don't need a straw outside of stuff like shakes. Just drink from the cup.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
That`s the correct decision! I hope more cities and even countries will follow Seattle`s example. Plastic is a slow killer but it kills slowly but surely... I stopped using plastic straws 4-5 years ago. I tried a bunch of different types - paper, glass, metal straws. I really hate paper straws as they always get soft in the water =/ Right now I use YesStraws straws (from wheat) and I must say I enjoy them. They are pretty easy to crumble, but if you are careful - they will be fine.
Also if you are looking for a plastic straws alternative I can recommend to test metal straw. You can easily bring it with you wherever you go, but don`t forget that its metal and you need to use it with cautious...

Now that's a necrobump!

Status
Not open for further replies.