• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
SEATTLE - Plastic straws, utensils and cocktail picks will be banned at all Seattle businesses that sell food or drinks under a new law that takes effect July 1.

Seattle is believed to be the first major U.S. city to enact such a ban.

Officials said the measure is needed as part of the city's continuing efforts to reduce waste and prevent petroleum-based plastics from contaminating compost and polluting marine waters.

"Plastic pollution is surpassing crisis levels in the world's oceans, and I'm proud Seattle is leading the way and setting an example for the nation by enacting a plastic straw ban," said Mami Hara, general manager of Seattle Public Utilities.

Seattle's efforts to reduce plastic pollution actually began in 2008, but the city had provided a year-by-year exemption for a handful of items, including plastic utensils and straws. But there are now multiple manufacturers of compostable utensils and straws, and the exemption will not be renewed.
http://komonews.com/news/local/seattle-to-ban-plastic-straws-utensils-at-all-eateries-after-july-1

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Oh good, I was wondering when that was going to go into effect.

Jan 18, 2018
I had how much plastic is wasted in NJ

I went to buy a single bag of bananas. Theyre in a plastic bag already.

At the checkout I placed my reusable bag on the counter while I paid.

I looked up, and the cashier had placed my bananas, already in a plastic bag, inside not one but TWO other plastic bags.

I gave them back to her and placed my bananas in my reusable bag.

Amory

Oct 27, 2017

I looked up, and the cashier had placed my bananas, already in a plastic bag, inside not one but TWO other plastic bags.

Grocery store clerks double bag everything now, I've noticed. It's really weird. They'll throw 2 light items in and double bag it if you don't stop them.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
What are compostable utensils made from?

Some of my local restaurants have Paper/Cardboard like straws. Yeah they fall apart but they last long enough to get through the meal

The trade off is worth it IMHO

As for Forks/knifes etc...? Just do more dishes I guess? I know Panera Bread does it and no one complains

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Seattle is probably one of the most logical places to pilot this change, since that area is very heavily influenced by marine activity.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure about utensils but I've been to a few places with paper-like straws and they have been perfectly fine.

Erik Twice

Nov 2, 2017
Very good. If I recall correctly the European Union is moving to enforce a similar limitation/ban on one-use plastics.

temp

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What are compostable utensils made from?

If I remember right a lot of the compostable utensils you see around Seattle are Eco-Products, which apparently are made from PLA, which is derived from corn.

Some of my local restaurants have Paper/Cardboard like straws. Yeah they fall apart but they last long enough to get through the meal

The trade off is worth it IMHO

As for Forks/knifes etc...? Just do more dishes I guess? I know Panera Bread does it and no one complains

The compostable utensils I used in Seattle don't fall apart (even in soup). They're basically indistinguishable from regular plastic.

They introduced compostable spoons at the University of Washington around 2008 and they'd get soggy in hot stuff, but it seems like the technology got better (or UW just bought really crummy utensils first go around).

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I used starch-based utensils at a restaurant for the first time this weekend. They work perfectly fine, probably even better than plastic ones. 10/10 would go green again.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
If I remember right a lot of the compostable utensils you see around Seattle are Eco-Products, which apparently are made from PLA, which is derived from corn.

The compostable utensils I used in Seattle don't fall apart (even in soup). They're basically indistinguishable from regular plastic.

They introduced compostable spoons at the University of Washington around 2008 and they'd get soggy in hot stuff, but it seems like the technology got better (or UW just bought really crummy utensils first go around).

Thats pretty cool!

I think there is supposedly a compostable replacement for plastic bags being developed as well

That will be huge

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This must become the norm, lest our precious sea turtles suffer at the hands of the cursed straws.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Grocery store clerks double bag everything now, I've noticed. It's really weird. They'll throw 2 light items in and double bag it if you don't stop them.

Sounds like corporate wanted to make plastic bags cheaper to save money, but the workers realize the crappy bags will break if they aren't double bagged.

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
Bags are literally trash now. I used to double bag back when I worked at Harveys, and the plastic bags then actually held what they were supposed to. If you aren't double bagging now, expect half your shit to fall onto the street on your way to your car.

ryul2

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Woohoo, Seattle represent baby! Now if we can just fix this homeless crisis...

I don't know if there's even a solution to that. Housing costs have pretty much reached the point where i've already conceded that i'll never own a home in the Seattle area and my only choices are to continue to rent or settle for Renton/Issaquah and the surrounding areas. Rent prices are out control and I pay out the ass so my daily commute isn't too bad.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle

So replace it with environmentally friendly biodegradable straws, like we already see here in Seattle at certain restaurants like Taco Time and others.

https://www.ecoproducts.com/taco-time.html
https://www.ecoproducts.com/compostable_straws.html

Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
So replace it with environmentally friendly biodegradable straws, like we already see here in Seattle at certain restaurants like Taco Time and others.

https://www.ecoproducts.com/taco-time.html
https://www.ecoproducts.com/compostable_straws.html
One word: heat. Compostable straws, even some cheaper plastic variants, have issues with heat insulation. We have't gotten quite there yet with these alternatives. Until we do, people with disabilities need to come first. The fact that those with disabilities aren't even mentioned in the links in the OP saddens me. People first, that's what I believe anyways.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

If it's important to have a heat-resistant straw, then carry a permanent one around. There are plenty of non-disposable plastic and metal straws out there that will do the job without messing up the environment.

Reflex

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
its usually the small eateries or the food trucks that offer plastic utensils so that sucks for them since they'll likely have to buy the more expensive compostable utensils.

but compostable utensils also come with their own set of issues. some of them basically melt when you use them for hot foods like soup which probably leeches into your foods as a result. also most of these utensils have to be commercially composted because of that and how slow they break down they are either thrown in the trash or even commercial composters dump them in landfills. So its like we spend all this effort and money on these compostable utensils and they end up in the landfill just like the cheap plastic forks.

Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
If it's important to have a heat-resistant straw, then carry a permanent one around. There are plenty of non-disposable plastic and metal straws out there that will do the job without messing up the environment.
From what I linked earlier.

There are, by some estimates, 57 million plastic straws used in Canada daily. There is no question that number can be reduced markedly. There is no doubt either that there are some decent alternatives to plastic.

But this issue requires a social solution more than a legal solution. That means embracing approaches such as moving from opt-out to ask-in policies.

Don't expect everyone to have their own straw. Don't assume alternatives are always better. Rigid straws can be difficult to manipulate, especially for people who can use only their chins. Paper straws don't work well for hot liquids. Glass and metal straws can hurt people who bite them. And, if you have trouble drinking, you are quite likely to have trouble washing and carrying a reusable straw.

We want cleaner oceans. We want to protect turtles and other marine wildlife.

But doing so should not result in some people being vilified, shut out, or discriminated against.

When people do ask, a plastic straw should be provided, no questions asked. It's a reasonable accommodation, not a blight on the planet.

Chekhonte

User banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Wow, crazy. I personally wish they'd ban plastic bubble packaging first however. That shit has got to go.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
yeah, I'm fine with this... I've been working on massively reducing my disposable plastic use.

that whale that had 18 lbs of plastic in it was the last straw (pun partially intended).

as a species we suck.. but personally I Can do something.

temp

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Are there any examples of "opt-in" plastic straw laws enacted anywhere? I'm curious if that's feasible.

It seems like reducing waste while accommodating people with disabilities would be easier to achieve by modifying this law to include opt-in on non-compostable plastic straws but keeping the general ban—at least until compostable straw tech catches up to the needs of the disabled. Is that basically what you'd advocate for?

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
Work here in Seattle. Our cafes have had compostable straws, utensils for several years now.

robosllim

Banned
Dec 4, 2017

I'm pretty glad Chicago implemented a plastic bag tax. Not a total ban, but at least now cashiers need to actually ask if you want bags so they can make sure you're charged for them. We can definitely do more but at least this is good baby step.

Ontoue

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, paper bags were bad enough, but I can deal if I pull my sleeves over my hands or something. But paper straws? y'all are tryin to kill me aren't you. Bad enough that everything is already shipped in cardboard.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Lame. I've used their fake replacement straws; their mouth feel is terrible.

Mugsy

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any examples of "opt-in" plastic straw laws enacted anywhere? I'm curious if that's feasible.

It seems like reducing waste while accommodating people with disabilities would be easier to achieve by modifying this law to include opt-in on non-compostable plastic straws but keeping the general ban—at least until compostable straw tech catches up to the needs of the disabled. Is that basically what you'd advocate for?
I believe California just passed this, only article I could find on it is a bit old. A waitress commented on this being the new rule at their restaurant, however many seem to be giving straws out anyway so I have no clue if it is enforced.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018...raw-ban-gets-one-step-closer-to-becoming-law/
(ignore bad title on article)

Status
Not open for further replies.