• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the right thing to do. The longer this goes on, the worst it gets.

Although..... this thread, we have to get some better sources. Jack Prosobiec is literally a trump goon QAnon fuckhead conspiracy theorist. He advocates the white genocide conspiracy theory, was one of the early promoters of PizzaGate, and he works for OANN.

fluffydelusions please remove that tweet from the OP and get better sources.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
really wish that occupied protests in america weren't such unmoderated fucking shit shows. makes for incredibly easy material for the right

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Basically.

The issue is that at the end of the day; the shootings will happen either way. It's not as if the cops are deterrents to shooting....see every high crime area in America and the police budgets they have.
Apparently in that specific area, there are very few gun issues over the course of a year. The situation the last week or so already saw a massive increase over the norm. So while there is a gun problem in the US, it's not like this aimless "zone" helped the situation at all.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope everyone is safe.

I understand the intent, but the situation has seemed really tense from the outside. Like I've been waiting for something horrible to happen.

OP
OP
fluffydelusions
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the right thing to do. The longer this goes on, the worst it gets.

Although..... this thread, we have to get some better sources. Jack Prosobiec is literally a trump goon QAnon fuckhead conspiracy theorist. He advocates the white genocide conspiracy theory, was one of the early promoters of PizzaGate, and he works for OANN.

fluffydelusions please remove that tweet from the OP and get better sources.
Never heard of the guy just saw it was the top tweet with a video. Deleted

Oct 27, 2017
CHAZ needed more up-twinkles

But seriously, this was fucking dumb and set back any """movement""" it was meant to support by years.

Go be fucking adults and buy an abandoned oil derrick in the middle of the ocean like normal people

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This was one of the dumbest activism projects.

It was not sustainable at all.

Oct 27, 2017
Sealand sealand sealand

I have a space they can buy and renovate if the CHAZ folks want to move to Floriduh
W1si-Zi-Is-In-Vwb-G9h-ZHMvc-Gxh-Y2-Vfa-W1h-Z2-Vz-Lzg1-Mm-M1-ZDlj-Zm-Ji-Yj-U1-Ym-Zk-NV85-Mjg1-OTk2-Mjgz-Xz-Q3-Mj-Nl-MGM4-NDVfa-C5qc-Gci.jpg

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Good. It was a bad look for the movement. Hopefully police aren't too forceful and people comply peacefully.

nomster

Oct 27, 2017
Well intentioned as it might have been, it's completely counterproductive to the social justice movement IMO and has done nothing but give right wingers fodder for disingenuous news stories.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wait so what happened in the CHAZ that apparently set back the movement or w/e and is different from any other time something like this has happened?

Seemed (to me at least) that it diverted attention away from BLM protests when it was needed most and gave conservative media a nice boogeyman to focus on instead of police brutality.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Aside from a group protesting police killings then being involved with shooting deaths was a bit too on the nose, don't you think?
They also had no political leverage.

A lot of these movements don't really understand political power. You can only push against the state, with all its power, for a limited time if you brazenly break laws.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I didn't follow this situation much after CHOP zone initially formed, but reading up on it now I'm seeing eerie similarities to how the earlier "Occupy" protests played out towards the end.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't follow this situation much after CHOP zone initially formed, but reading up on it now I'm seeing eerie similarities to how the earlier "Occupy" protests played out towards the end.
Idk about that. Occupy never had people getting shot in their vicinity. Occupy also had enumerated goals that were very possible politically. Journalists, academics, and such always were at Occupy.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Wait so what happened in the CHAZ that apparently set back the movement or w/e and is different from any other time something like this has happened?

I don't think the movement was really set back significantly — the autonomous zone as bogeyman thing never really caught on outside the Fox News fever swamp — but I also don't think it's crazy to think that when basic police and criminal justice reform is already a hard enough sell to the American public, putting a big chunk of left wing energy into defending an anarchist commune in Seattle isn't really a smart play, especially when it managed to have more shootings in a few weeks than the neighborhood typically has in a year, not exactly making a great case for abolitionism.

BronzeWolf

Nov 3, 2017
Mexico
Good, this was a bad idea from the start.
Defund the police doesnt mean anarchy.

Most people want sensible policing, maybe a deconstruction and re-imagining of the different actions made by police by more specialized personnel, but not outright wild wild west.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
www.theguardian.com

Seattle: one teen killed and another injured in shooting in police-free zone

Six people have been shot in area of Capitol Hill Organized Protest zone in 10 days, prompting officials to look at dismantling it
Yeah so it ended up like every single occupied city block in a protest.

Idk about that. Occupy never had people getting shot in their vicinity.
Occupy had become notorious for sexual harassment/assault by the time it got shut down IIRC

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Idk about that. Occupy never had people getting shot in their vicinity.

Seattle was way more lenient as well.

Here in Philly, violence was routinely breaking out in the Occupy camp site. A woman was also sexually assaulted in a tent, which is what triggered the city to begin shutting it down.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Well intentioned as it might have been, it's completely counterproductive to the social justice movement IMO and has done nothing but give right wingers fodder for disingenuous news stories.
Yeah this is where I'm at. It always came across as a bit too loony compared to where like 99% of the activists fighting for change were at.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
Should have been re-taken after the first murder and assaults happened. What a stupid "project" this was was.

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
Apparently in that specific area, there are very few gun issues over the course of a year. The situation the last week or so already saw a massive increase over the norm. So while there is a gun problem in the US, it's not like this aimless "zone" helped the situation at all.
There are two groups who would be highly motivated to increase shootings in the area: right wingers and government agents (police, FBI, CIA). Even if these autonomous zones are inherently dangerous, I would expect to see gun-loving outside agitators coming in to shoot people to prove that they aren't safe (and kill some left wing people). I'm not saying this is what happened but we should be cautious in discounting one of the first movements of its kind. If CHAZ worked, it would radically reshape how we think about society.

Oct 25, 2017
People seem to be real quick to throw those protesters to the pigs...

What gives, seriously?

The mayor gave them a lot of space but after 3 people (2 teenagers died) it was clear this wasn't going to be sustainable. The protesters can't deal with it, so someone else needs to. They should understand it's over, the protest doesn't stand for anything meaningful under this context.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
People seem to be real quick to throw those protesters to the pigs...

What gives, seriously?
It's very threatening to upset the natural/historic sense of the order of things. People wanted it to fail from the outset because they think it's inherently a silly premise, regardless if everything went 100% smoothly which it was never going to. It sucks that it went south to the degree it did, I think it did need more structure, needed better organizing, but any movement like this is always going to be a mess either by outside forces agitating or just by inexperience.