• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
**in terms of metropolitan areas. The highest rate per capita was Nashville, TN.

For the city that had the first outbreak, Seattle has had a unified, consistent, aggressive stance against COVID-19 since February, with people taking social distancing and masking seriously. It is has a 4x lower rate than NYC.

cv-fyiguy-citycovidrank-Updated-WEB-1020x625.jpg

The state and city acted quickly, instituting some of the most aggressive containment policies in the nation. As early as the end of February, officials were urging social distancing and asking people to stay at home. By mid-March, a moratorium on events and gatherings was in place, and restaurants, bars and gyms were closed. The governor's full stay-at-home order was issued March 23.

Seattle went further, closing or limiting access to parks, beginning in April. The city made other policy decisions to encourage safe behaviors, such as the "Stay Healthy Streets" initiative, to allow residents to walk and exercise at a safe distance from each other. The city has also instituted free temporary permits for sidewalk cafes, merchandise displays and food vending.

There was concern that the protests that began in June, in the wake of the killing of George Floyd by police in Minneapolis, could accelerate the spread of the coronavirus. The city handed out face coverings to those who needed them at some of the initial protests, Formas says. The city also signed an agreement with Public Health – Seattle & King County to allow anyone who attended a protest to get tested for COVID-19.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
NIce, good work Seattle, keep it up.

After having pretty low cases per day, we're back up to about 500-600 a day in MA, first time since around late MAy that we've had those figures, but it's slowed a bit the last 5 days, or at least, the growth has slowed.

It's going to be a hard fall.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
People are still going to refuse to believe that protests aren't major contributors to spread. Which is depressing but what can you do?

Oct 30, 2017
Wisconsin followed a similar path until the Republicans decided they needed to kill people. Now even our mask mandate is being challenged, so we may end up like Florida. Wisconsin is a great example of how gerrymandering goes beyond elections. The republicans in this state havent done anything outside fight the Governor since they dont have to be worried about getting voted out.

I hate this fucking state.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As a resident of Nashville it fucking sucks that we are going to lose so many good venues and restaurants all because of idiots refusing to wear masks or distance. Even when going to get some fresh air I see people in the park without masks walking neck-and-neck with each other, or at least not even considering distancing in any way. We also got hit with a major tornado directly before quarantine began, so that didn't help much.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
I love it! I used to live in Nashville and now I live in King County. King county is the best.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
We take masking seriously here. It took a few months but at this point everyone you see in the grocery store is wearing one. A huge percentage of companies have switched to full remote working during all of this too. I forgot the exact percentage, but I believe over half of all workers in Seattle are working from home right now.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
I am shocked and not so shocked Nashville is so high on that list. We are starting to see a resurgence it seems.

Nov 6, 2017
As a resident of Nashville it fucking sucks that we are going to lose so many good venues and restaurants all because of idiots refusing to wear masks or distance. Even when going to get some fresh air I see people in the park without masks walking neck-and-neck with each other, or at least not even considering distancing in any way. We also got hit with a major tornado directly before quarantine began, so that didn't help much.

Yup. Shit is infuriating.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
That's great news, considering Seattle was hit hard by the coronavirus early on.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
The seattle freeze is paying off

Lol yep, although it is also the city in the US with the highest number of bachelors degrees per population. People are educated here and don't take kindly to anti-intellectual rhetoric like anti-masking conspiracies.

Manngc

Oct 27, 2017
Lol yep, although it is also the city in the US with the highest number of bachelors degrees per population. People are educated here and don't take kindly to anti-intellectual rhetoric like anti-masking conspiracies.
That also means there could be a stronger correlation to the ability of the city population to work from home. There are many variables at play here, so try and be considerate of those unable to socially distance as much. Saying that though, anti-maskers are reckless dangerous people.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Good news. I'm glad to see they are taking it seriously.

I will say the data seems a bit weird to me. Counting cities whose data you don't have (Only county level meaning the entire county and not just the city) and also looking at the King County data, it looks like they are just getting down to their hospitalization rate they were at in June before an uptick.

And this isn't me saying they are doing a poor job, god knows where I live it's a cluster. If anything, I wish the whole country was doing as well.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Genuinely surprised to see Chicago that high on the list. The idiots without masks are very far and few between where I'm at.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Mostly IT work here so that lends itself to curbing Covid in many different ways.

The alt-right idiots are usually out in the boonies so the population density is low enough where they can't do much damage.

asun

Nov 10, 2017
oh look! west coast represent! well, except for LA. LA just scares me.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
I'm going to say that compared to the hit that the Northeast took at the start of the pandemic and the summer crisis in the sun belt-Seattle really never had any kind of pandemic crisis like that. The entire region was essentially brought to a halt in a day and a half at the start of the pandemic weeks before things got out of control elsewhere, and people generally listen to their city and county governments here.

It's important to note that if you look at the more working class parts of King County, the COVID-19 incidence numbers are higher than the number above but are still very low (around 12 or so per 100k) by the same numbers as other cities. The professional class suburbs are lower but not exceptionally so (2-8 per 100k) in most cases. So it's true, just like everywhere else, that working class and populations of color are worse off, but effective public health communication and well-minded paternalistic policies have worked here because of general trust of their local institutions.

One thing that I noted here was that major employers (besides Boeing) and public health officials are on the same page. When the places of employment and the government are sending out the same message, it gets through easier.