• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
People need to stop trying to downplay the seriousness of this virus. This is much more serious than the common flu.

At this time, the statistics show that this coronavirus is at least 20-30 times more deadly than the flu.

Flu fatality rate = 0.1%
Coronavirus fatality rate = 2-3%
You are comparing two totally different data sets. We have like millions and millions of data for decades for the flu and a couple of thousand for corona. The uncertainties in the later are still to high for a comparison. Post lines yours are the reason there is panic. When you want to make a point with statistics, you should use comparable data.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Official Staff Communication
This epidemic is a serious situation and as such deserves a serious level of discussion. Please refrain from posting unsubstantiated information from unverified or disreputable sources, baseless conspiracy theories, or low-effort fear-mongering. Please also refrain from dismissive commentary surrounding the seriousness of the disease. Any comments failing to do so may be subject to moderation. Thank you.

What happened to the drop down "Staff post" notification tab which used to show up alongside Threadmark?

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
This virus has a mortality rate of 2.5+ what's its R0?

So with it having a mortality rate bigger than the 1919 flu (which estimates put it at 2.0) and a president also downplaying it (Woodrow Wilson smiling from down below)

Do we really not learn from history? Booking our ticket to U.S. Samoa

Sigh but with a big dose of /s

the Spanish Flu had a mortality rate between 2-3% but it was dramatically worse because it was the opposite in terms of who it hit.

Young and health Adults were highly susceptible to death and the largest victims from the 1918 pandemic which is why it was so terrifying when large portions of your workforce and child care were dying at higher rates

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
I didn't know that but I'm glad to hear it

It's bizarre. The virus seems like its weaker on average the younger you are, unless you have pre-existing conditions. That's why its impossible to track. So many people carrying it aren't even sick enough to suspect anything. But it also appears that people with weaker immune systems might be able to contract it more than once.

This is why I feel like calling Coronavirus a "super flu" is misleading. It doesn't seem to work like a normal flu virus at all.

blackhawk163

Oct 28, 2017
the Spanish Flu had a mortality rate between 2-3% but it was dramatically worse because it was the opposite in terms of who it hit.

Young and health Adults were highly susceptible to death and the largest victims from the 1918 pandemic which is why it was so terrifying when large portions of your workforce and child care were dying at higher rates

I I know this, the massive over response if the immune system coupled with the secondary infections (pneumonia). It's the constant downplaying of the disease from our government that has me mad. Then again, Master Cheeto is no student of history.

As a child I have always been fascinated by the 1918-1919 pandemic and often wondered when it (or rather something like it) would rear its ugly head again.

Captain Trips.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Don't worry, if you have money, then coronavirus is nothing!

Unless rich people are already using robots, or treat their employees extremely well, I doubt even this. If you've got underpaid cleaning staff who "can't afford to lose this job," they're going to show up at work sick, which, normally, is something rich people like to see. Anyone wealthy that's surrounded by servants that can't afford to take the day off due to low pay is surrounded by vectors.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
It's bizarre. The virus seems like its weaker on average the younger you are, unless you have pre-existing conditions. That's why its impossible to track. So many people carrying it aren't even sick enough to suspect anything. But it also appears that people with weaker immune systems might be able to contract it more than once.

This is why I feel like calling Coronavirus a "super flu" is misleading. It doesn't seem to work like a normal flu virus at all.

exactly but let's just make this easy for everyone

www.bbc.com

Coronavirus death rate: What are the chances of dying?

The current best guess of a 1% death rate does not apply to everyone.
_111074816_death_ratio-nc.png

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the user is referring to the fact that if you have insurance and/or sufficient money, then you won't feel reluctant going to the doctor immediately at the first sign of the symptoms and thereby increasing your chances of survival.
It's a terrible way of saying all that then.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
You are comparing two totally different data sets. We have like millions and millions of data for decades for the flu and a couple of thousand for corona. The uncertainties in the later are still to high for a comparison. Post lines yours are the reason there is panic. When you want to make a point with statistics, you should use comparable data.

Folks are risk averse, so that high level of uncertainty forces them to act cautiously

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
fear of the unknown isn't an excuse to panic

You misunderstand. Being risk averse is not irrational, it's just the common expression of folks feeling more pain from their losses than gain from their wins. They're processing information from many sources and making a decision based on their probability weighted preferences, which encode a somewhat unlikely but severe downside risk to doing nothing.

Aesthetic

Nov 6, 2017
Texas, USA
I have (had?) asthma. ive not needed an inhaler since i was VERY young, like maybe 5. so idk how much that effects me now if I got unlucky and caught it.

i would use a nebulizer when i got sick, but i think i was given it just to help with congestion more so than NEEDING it to breath.

25years old too.

so i guess worst case i have a 5% of dying? and 20% of going to the hospital?

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Wonder what's gonna happen with Emerald City Comic Con coming up in 2 weeks? I'm planning on going, but now I wonder if many people will pull out.

Oct 27, 2017
"I won't live in fear!"
"Everyone's overreacting!"
"Why pull out of that event? It's not that serious!"

Ugh. Rest In Peace, horrible way to go.

No one should live in fear over this nor should they go full-on panic mode, but take necessary precautions. Based on your post/comment history, you seem to dig fear mongering over this.

OmniStrife

Dec 11, 2017
This comparison needs to stop. Yes people die of the flu too, but the difference is the corona virus is many many times more deadly, and the only reason why it hasn't wracked up as many deaths as the flu so far is simply because it hasn't spread as far as the flu... but that's changing fast.
I've done the math, it's 33 times more deadly. This irresponsible comparison has to stop.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Wonder what's gonna happen with Emerald City Comic Con coming up in 2 weeks? I'm planning on going, but now I wonder if many people will pull out.

I was wondering about that too. We've got tickets, and are still planning on going, but the amount of people in that venue... sheesh. Can't say it doesn't concern me, but I guess we'll have a better look at the picture a week and a half from now.

Lace

Oct 27, 2017
I was wondering about that too. We've got tickets, and are still planning on going, but the amount of people in that venue... sheesh. Can't say it doesn't concern me, but I guess we'll have a better look at the picture a week and a half from now.
A group of us aren't going this year after hearing this news story. However, we aren't local so the idea of flying during the spreading disease felt like a bad idea.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Post your sources fuckers. Then we won't have multiple pages of confusion.

rip to victim

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. Fauci said one offs like this are going to happen occasionally. There's no set algorithm to this.