• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Combined with our shitty expensive health care and lack of PTO, this is an awful country to try and downplay the comorbidity risk.

As disturbing as it may be to consider, between people not being able to afford skipping work, fear of medical treatment due to high costs, and the mismanagement and crippling of the CDC, I think the USA is uniquely vulnerable to the epidemic far more than other countries. All it takes is one man or woman terrified of not making rent and reporting in for work for Uber, or Starbucks, and the virus spreads. Multiply that across major cities and I don't see how the USA can minimize exposure.

Companies can't suddenly turn around and say, "Suck it up, take the pay loss and don't make the rest of us sick," and hospitals can't suddenly start diagnosing people for free.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
22 cases in the US? Didn't watch the presser, but don't the EU and WHO report 60+ cases there?

I'm really not sure how they came to that number either myself. The CDC reports 15 confirmed cases and 47 cases from individuals repatriated from Wuhan and the Diamond Princess cruise ship for a total of 62 cases. Worldometer and BNO's trackers both show 68 cases, but you'd have to dig through tons of notes to figure out what the breakdown is there. In any case, not sure how they got to 22; maybe there are more confirmed cases than the CDC has on their site and they're ignoring the repatriated ones? That's my best guess.

Or it's just hot bullshit, also totally possible with this administration.

Darkgran

Oct 27, 2017
i hate trump as much as the next guy, but what exactly is wrong with this particular clip?

How about the fact that just last night he called the virus a hoax and that he has been downplaying the seriousness of this for weeks saying that the USA is fine.

Also how about him saying that the victim was a "medically high risk patient" to cover his ass.

Do I need to go on?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
isn't 40 percent of the population medically high risk?

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Ridiculously irresponsible to say "If you're healthy you'll be fine, ignore it", even if one recovers from it, how many people (plenty of whom may not) will you spread it to just waltzing around infected with it?

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
So it is a women or man? How is everyone so incompetent?

Discussion guidelines

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
This epidemic is a serious situation and as such deserves a serious level of discussion. Please refrain from posting unsubstantiated information from unverified or disreputable sources, baseless conspiracy theories, or low-effort fear-mongering. Please also refrain from dismissive commentary surrounding the seriousness of the disease. Any comments failing to do so may be subject to moderation. Thank you.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
It's wild that the virus is already out there in the public (which is the understanding I get when they say "community caught"). So there is probably no way that this doesn't explode into an epidemic in some fashion right? It doesn't just dissipate over time with people walking around already with the virus spreading it?

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Oh fuck man, damn. I know it's horrible to say, but I hope the person who died was someone far more susceptible than an average person. If it were a healthy, age 40 and below person, I'll be fucking terrified.

Keyframe

Oct 29, 2017
Oh fuck man, damn. I know it's horrible to say, but I hope the person who died was someone far more susceptible than an average person. If it were a healthy, age 40 and below person, I'll be fucking terrified.

That nurse that died in Iran was 25 years old.

women.ncr-iran.org

Death of a nurse and two other women due to Corona infection - NCRI Women Committee

Narges Khanalizadeh, 25 and a nurse, died at Milad Hospital of Lahijan on Tuesday, February 25, 2020 due to Corona infection. The tests of two women who died in Saveh were also positive. One of the authorities of Milad Hospital said Narges Khanalizadeh had died due to flu, but she had died due...

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It's wild that the virus is already out there in the public (which is the understanding I get when they say "community caught"). So there is probably no way that this doesn't explode into an epidemic in some fashion right? It doesn't just dissipate over time with people walking around already with the virus spreading it?
Well, the current assumption is it will subside towards spring/summer like the flu does. But yeah, it will be epidemic first.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I live 2 miles north of the Evergreen Hospital, lol. I also have my annual scheduled for this upcoming Wednesday at the facility right next to it. I'm not worried though, they seem to have that under control.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

NPR @NPR

The coronavirus patient who died was, in fact, a man — not a woman, according to Washington state health officials. https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1233830748936949762 …

3:55 PM - Feb 29, 2020

Azeen Ghorayshi @azeen

WA state public health officials w/coronavirus updates:

-1 death (a man in his 50s w/underlying conditions)
-2 additional confirmed cases associated with a nursing home in the state
-27 other patients & 25 staff at the home are also reporting symptoms, will be tested

3:33 PM - Feb 29, 2020

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
If I was living in the us, and saw trump act the way he is, even when stating the facts, which yeah is fucking ironic, I would now start stocking up on basic amenities. Even in blue rich states.

No need to go full pepper or spend 100s of dollars. But yeah go slow and stock up bit by bit in the next few weeks each time you go to the supermarket.

Guy is literally the shiftitest, slimy motherfucker I've seen on stage. I cannot for the life of me trust a word him or his cronies put out.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in Seattle and I've got open heart surgery scheduled for March 20th at University of Washington Medical Center. I've got severe mitral
valve leaking so it needs to be replaced. I'm likely immunocompromised so just gonna law low and stay home until then.

Good luck, man! If you need to, we'll take care of you in Omaha. ;)

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017

NPR @NPR

The coronavirus patient who died was, in fact, a man — not a woman, according to Washington state health officials. https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1233830748936949762 …

Azeen Ghorayshi @azeen

-27 other patients & 25 staff at the home are also reporting symptoms, will be tested

A nursing home is a really bad place for a virus like this. Expect to see more deaths soon then.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
A nursing home is a really bad place for a virus like this. Expect to see more deaths soon then.
It's probably like the worst place imaginable, except maybe like a shelter full of babies or toddlers. Because of my work in Social Work I often find myself in a shelter with babies and toddlers and they are always sick. I live in Phoenix and I can't help but think of the worst.

Heck I'm sick right now because I caught something from one of the kiddos last week.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Does the patient's age really matter? A dead patient is a dead patient.

I'm not "living in fear" either, but people that constantly say stuff like that to downplay this whole thing are embarrassing themselves.

It matters a fucking lot, actually.

Patient was smack bang in the middle of high risk groups. They had underlying conditions already known to put the thousands that have died at risk.

Male, mid fifties, underlying conditions, elderly.

If it was the other person, that would be very, very alarming.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017

NPR @NPR

Azeen Ghorayshi @azeen

What the fuck man. The ineptitude of the people in charge of this is truly frightening. If they can't even report something as simple as the gender of the first death in the country correctly hours after the fact what will they able to get right?

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
So it is a women or man? How is everyone so incompetent?

Trump has fired many competent people in federal govt. in favor of people that are loyal to him, or in many cases just not filling the posts with anyone else.
He's also put a muzzle on independent researchers and medical staff from providing information about coronavirus, so the only info we get is damage control from the Trump admin.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Where does Seattle come from for the thread title? Everything I'm reading just says King County.

blackhawk163

Oct 28, 2017
This virus has a mortality rate of 2.5+ what's its R0?

So with it having a mortality rate bigger than the 1919 flu (which estimates put it at 2.0) and a president also downplaying it (Woodrow Wilson smiling from down below)

Do we really not learn from history? Booking our ticket to U.S. Samoa

Sigh but with a big dose of /s

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably like the worst place imaginable, except maybe like a shelter full of babies or toddlers. Because of my work in Social Work I often find myself in a shelter with babies and toddlers and they are always sick. I live in Phoenix and I can't help but think of the worst.

Heck I'm sick right now because I caught something from one of the kiddos last week.
FYI for some reason babies and toddlers are handling coronavirus very well. It doesn't hit them like it does the elderly.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have a source on that? Just asking because I can't find anything,
www.npr.org

President Trump Confirms 1st U.S. Coronavirus Death; U.S. Heightens Travel Warnings

A man in his 50s has died, according to Washington state health officials. It's the first death from COVID-19 in the U.S. The president defended the administration's response.

The state officials have reported three new cases of COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus, including the person who died and the health worker. Two of the patients tested positive for the coronavirus Friday night at EvergreenHealth Medical Center in Kirkland, Wash., a suburb of Seattle. One was the patient who has since died, and the other is in isolation.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
People need to stop trying to downplay the seriousness of this virus. This is much more serious than the common flu.

At this time, the statistics show that this coronavirus is at least 20-30 times more deadly than the flu.

Flu fatality rate = 0.1%
Coronavirus fatality rate = 2-3%

That 0.1% is US only, not Global.
The Coronavirus mortality rate is a global rate.
You can't compare global rates to US rates for different illnesses.

Lakitu

Dec 8, 2017
50 is not elderly. My mum is 64, to be honest, I couldn't give a crap about myself. We all worry about our loved ones.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020

the virus has yet to kill anyone under the age of 9