• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Aug 7, 2019
45ade82a-11d3-46b9-bd27-060e39e23195-screen-shot-2021-01-19-at-105820-pm.png

https://consequenceofsound.net/2021/01/tv-review-search-party-season-4/
https://mashable.com/article/search-party-season-4-review-hbo-max/
https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/search-party-season-4-review-spoiler-free/
https://thespool.net/reviews/search-party-season-4-review/
https://uproxx.com/tv/search-party-season-4-review-hbo-max/

"Trust me, you don't want to be my friend, I'm not worth it. I hate myself so much. I'm so scared of myself, of what I'm capable of, of what I don't understand, I don't want to be me anymore, I just want to start over, I'm broken, I'm wrong, I just wish all of the darkness inside of me could be erased"

It will be intriguing to see if any catharsis with that can be reached

There's a conflicting consensus that it will be open-ended enough for a Season 5, but if tomorrow is the last day of Search Party, the most narrative closure and character development yet are promised out of the conclusion of Season 4

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
I just binged season 1 and not sure how to process the way things went down and supposed genre change of the following seasons. Processing it a little more before I decide on seasons 2-4.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh weird, I thought they had already ordered a 5th season, but it seems like not. This show has really gone through an array of transitions throughout the 4 seasons, which I love, but wow is season 4 dark. Was not expecting that.

I think they do a good job of balancing it with the lighthearted nature of the other characters.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
For a show that had such a limited initial premise, it sure has gone places I never thought it would have when I first started watching.

OP
OP
ISureKnowMyStuff
Aug 7, 2019
There was apparently an advanced screening for episodes 7 and 8 online that I missed the boat on being able to access

Would've been nice to jump into 9 and 10 to avoid getting too tired

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This scene in Episode 7
where the gang and Lylah are just tailing each other
has me dying lmfao

OP
OP
ISureKnowMyStuff
Aug 7, 2019
Marc adopting fits with Elliot's hints of having a child, and everyone knew Chip was an incest child last week

Looks like some of the crossdressing paid off in that loop, and the ice cream salesgirl asking stupid questions about New York was fun

We got to Dory's declaration of murder on her friends (though a few water splashes would get me there too)

Long stretches of Chantal's episode didn't work, but her responsible for Charlie's hospital coma means she put some good out into the world now, and "Honestly myself" was a genius use of a trigger phrase for Dory

I initially thought Chantal's adventure would be her trying and failing spectacularly at rescuing Dory (for a prize money to make herself not poor) but her ripping off the Dory poster on the street without a second thought to it was a better use of restraint and very very Chantal

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I absolutely loved that ending. If the series does end here with season 4, I think that's a very fitting way to wrap things up.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This was one of the funniest moments I've ever seen on TV. I can't remember the last time I laughed that much watching a show.

Just finished, this whole 2nd half was pretty damn funny

God, what an unexpected delight this show was. If this is how it ends, I'm going to miss it.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished, this whole 2nd half was pretty damn funny

God, what an unexpected delight this show was. If this is how it ends, I'm going to miss it.
If they don't get another season, I think this is a fine ending, a bit limp with the last 10 seconds, but whatever. If they get another season, I'd want it to be the last. This show has been an incredible ride and it needs a solid resolution.

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen the latest episodes but..... I kind of hated the first 6?

• I don't buy that Dory goes from a manipulative genius in S1-3 with an innate talent for getting people to do what she wants to.... someone who gets locked in a very escapable room. It just feels like that character fell apart? The trauma aspect is interesting but I don't buy it
  • Drew/Elliot/Portia getting robbed felt unbelivably contrived
  • The "actually chip is part of an EVIL RICH FAMILY" felt really overwrought. I got that from the big empty house he's in.
  • I also don't find the Chip/Dory dynamic that compelling. He pushes her to do something, she resists.... then she does it.
  • Maybe this all pays off in 7-10! Dunno!

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Hilarious and harrowing in equal measure. It's just about perfect across all four seasons, and they stuck the landing.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
If this is truly the end I'll be so sad. It wrapped up perfectly but I still think it needs one more season because I felt like the last few episodes were kinda rushed.

I want to see Chip and his mom suffer some consequences.

TimeDevourer

Feb 24, 2018
Well that was an intense, emotional ride. Really hoping it gets another season just cause I love the show so much, but if not, WHAT an ending! Give Alia Shawkat the Emmy NOW PLEASE.

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
episode 9 has my favorite cringe comedy scene in a long, long time. also a wallop of an ending

i didn't love the end of episode 10 at first, but it works the more i think about it

Oct 27, 2017
Finished this last night and loved it! I wasn't as into season three's courtroom drama, but this season really hooked me--can't believe this show successfully pulled a Misery. I saw that this is one of the most-streamed shows on HBO and I wish it got more attention--it's a weird show to pitch because it balances comedy and pitch black thriller in equal parts.

The show hasn't ever topped the season 1 finale in terms of tonal shifts, but the fact that they've tried something different each season makes me appreciate it a lot more. My ranking would be:
s1 > s4 > s2 > s3

- Having gone to school with the kinds of theatre kids who work at theme parks, Drew's princess not-fiancee is so perfectly done. I love the fact that we never see her without her costume on, and the entire proposal scene felt like a masterclass in slow-building cringe/dread.
- This show does such a good job in making sure that little side characters have little stories--the ice cream shop girl who has stereotypical questions about New Yorkers, the diner waitress who gets excited to see the guy in the turkey costume, the weird not-twink living in the boathouse who can't remember anything--there aren't any throwaway characters and it's what makes the show feel so uniquely weird.
- Loved the diner scene in episode 9 where everyone at the table lists what they live for, especially when Elliot closes his speech by sincerely saying "to be honest, I don't know if I believe anything I just said."
- Also loved when Drew, Elliott and Portia got sloppy drunk in the first episode and randomly all made out together, then immediately moved on and never spoke of it again, felt very on-brand for that trio.
- The entire Chantal episode felt like an I Think You Should Leave sketch where things just keep getting more escalated and absurd. The fact that it's what finally snaps Dory out of her stupor is also perfect.
- Would love to see another season where we (presumably) see Dory start to rebuild her life and (hopefully) see Chip brought to justice, but his closing line of "I'm not some criminal mastermind, I'm just wealthy and inbred" felt like such an appropriately mundane way for the show to wrap up his character. The contempt that the entire series has for wealthy and powerful people is laser focused! Big fan!

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who likes this show should check out The Flight Attendant, also on HBO MAX. It's a very similar vibe.

OP
OP
ISureKnowMyStuff
Aug 7, 2019
Search Party's exploration of in your 20s mental health hit its fever peak. "We need to stop shaming darkness". Dory might have a unique trauma but her feelings can happen to anybody. The trio were affected by Dory's words on the road without her there, but the finale used that tragedy of them not being on the same page in time. Dory's camcorder goodbye message about them seeing the real her made me cry but now it just feels like more delusion instead of the right dream epiphany? Hopefully a Season 5 can handle therapy within that crew more seriously. Maybe it left me unsatisfied because it was harshly realistic that they'd all get annoyed at her for having a conversation they didn't want.

Dory being a willing victim, as well as begging Chip to continue their parasitic relationship caught some off guard but not me, it was an eye roll to see some complain that Dory wasn't a strong female character anymore when it was never about Chip having an upperhand. While a downfall for that hideous family would be a nice little easter egg, I think the story should move on from it since Dory self inflicted herself and it'd be off topic.

The funeral mixing in story continuity for Julian that Dory was not present for in Season 3, along with Portia's mother and Marc's baby, are my main gripes for why this felt canon. I get that the Dory Clone Club was there, but her having supernatural ghost powers or psychic powers is somehow just easier to swallow than her head getting the universe that accurately. :/ I'm just very confused what the hook of Dory gasping alive is supposed to be exactly, she'll get treated and released and then what? Go home? Maybe next season will put her in a mental hospital because they'll think the fire was a suicide attempt?

I will say this felt like the first in a two part chapter for each of Portia, Elliot, and Drew. For Portia, her ex-movie needs to be released to the public and we need to see if Dory is really played by Selena Gomez in it. Elliot is now 2 million dollars richer, meaning he can move his whole family to the high style of life and that can do interesting things to his identity. Drew was coerced into thinking he should've said yes to Cindy, so we could see a wedding or him already in a married life with Cindy after a time skip. But he chose the wrong time to be honest about using someone. Choosing a surface happy pretty princess over a clinically depressed Dory doesn't mean you're not choosing a psycho.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
That's good, but I do kind of feel like they need to start wrapping things up.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
deadline.com

‘Search Party’ Renewed For Season 5 By HBO Max; Creators Sarah-Violet Bliss & Charles Rogers Ink Overall Deal With Streamer

HBO Max has renewed Search Party for a fifth season and signed its creators to a two-year overall deal.

Season 6 not improbable either with how long their contract goes to...

But next season will have the most "woke" Dory ever
Fuck yes!!! I was so worried after season 4 ended and it seemed like everything wrapped up. This is amazing.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
deadline.com

‘Search Party’ Renewed For Season 5 By HBO Max; Creators Sarah-Violet Bliss & Charles Rogers Ink Overall Deal With Streamer

HBO Max has renewed Search Party for a fifth season and signed its creators to a two-year overall deal.

I don't care that I said it was the perfect ending, let's GO!

"The most fun thing to tease about next season is that Dory is now enlightened," Rogers said. "What could go wrong?"

I'll assume she's "enlightened" in the way Laura Dern was in "Enlightened."

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
came to post this!

This season was excellent. Glad they have another. I wonder what direction it will go.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

Keeps on going. It really felt like they could've ended here, but fuck it. I'll still watch.

Oct 28, 2017
Finished S4 the other day. Really didn't care for it starting out, but I thought they totally redeemed it in the last stretch, starting with ep7.

The twist in episode 9 was infuriating at first, but I loved it, it was totally in character and really justified the preceding events.

Meredith Hagner continues to be my MVP of the show, but I thought John Reynolds was really great this season, his face during the proposal had me dying, and his scene after was gut-wrenching, and all too real & relatable. What a fantastic show, bring on 5!

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Are future seasons of this still awkward dark comedy? We've been trying to watch it but just can't really enjoy it.

i_am_ben

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't care that much for season 4 but it's such a unique show that I am really interested to see where it goes in season 5.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
I just binged the entire show in like a week, I can't believe how good it and its actors were! I fear season 5 won't have much of a story to tell but who knows, I still anxiously await what is next!