• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
tenor.gif

Lol it's hilarious that this is the first thing I thought of as well.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Man some of the replies are NOT happy that they removed the sarcophagi. "Disturbing sacred religious acts/offensive to the people of that time" and all that.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
No shit, saw this video out of context on twitter and thought it was fake. So colorful inside damn

mm04

Oct 27, 2017
Adromeda Strain time. For real though, the craftsmanship of all those involved that long ago is pretty amazing.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man just imagine going down for the last nap thinking, "i will be eternal, i shall awake luxuriously in the afterlife", only for a bunch of shits in the future to dig your shit up and open it to look at your pruny ass self.

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I wonder, where is the border between grave robbery and archeology? They were put in there believing they'd embark on a journey towards immortality only to be opened up 2600 years in front of a few dozen people with smartphones in their hands. I know how important this is for science and history and I find it extremely interesting as well, but at the same time I can't help but think that opening up tombs and mummys is extremely disrespectful to their beliefs, traditions and religion and something we shouldn't be doing.

SemRockwel

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder, where is the border between grave robbery and archeology? They were put in there believing they'd embark on a journey towards immortality only to be opened up 2600 years in front of a few dozen people with smartphones in their hands. I know how important this is for science and history and I find it extremely interesting as well, but at the same time I can't help but think that opening up tombs and mummys is extremely disrespectful to their beliefs, traditions and religion and something we shouldn't be doing.

Here is a PBS article that describes treatment of Native American burial grounds:

While there are differences in context (the cultural traditions of Native Americans survive to today while Ancient Egyptian culture doesn't, and Egyptian mummies are much older) I am not sure if I am completely comfortable with the large difference in treatment.

For practical reasons, I guess since the Egyptian people are ok with the archeology, then I guess they shouldn't stop their investigations.

Edit: I will say though that Native American artifacts have it worse in America for sure.

I guess what I ultimately have an issue with is western cultures having large respect for western artifacts and grave sites, while ancient cultures and non-western cultures don't tend to earn the same kind of respect.

Last edited: