• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

M.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Not watching this. I have a 3 pound Chihuahua/rat who can easily double as potential bird prey...

Just another reason to despise seagulls.

edit: Not all small Chihuahuas are inbred or teacup. Just adding that. I won't tolerate the small dog slander.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Would they actually a snatch a cat? I noticed I haven't seen any mention of that happening and I'm figuring birds wouldn't dare fuck with cats lol.

No, seagulls will try and steal food from a cat but Feral cats hunt and kill seagulls.

Plus Cats are natural bird killers. They move way too fast and scratch and everything. When a cat really gets going they're more dangerous than most dogs.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The dog was in the back garden..
I know it's in the back garden. I don't presume it to be safe. It's easy to just assume things will be fine and safe because it's just your backyard but I think that's a bad way to approach things. Maybe it's different where you live but in my area there's frequently raccoons and cats roaming around depending on the time of the day. There are many ravines in the cities around Toronto and as a result there are Fox, Coyote and deer that roam about as well, but in much smaller numbers.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I know it's in the back garden. I don't presume it to be safe. It's easy to just assume things will be fine and safe because it's just your backyard but I think that's a bad way to approach things. Maybe it's different where you live but in my area there's frequently raccoons and cats roaming around depending on the time of the day. There are many ravines in the cities around Toronto and as a result there are Fox, Coyote and deer that roam about as well, but in much smaller numbers.

Sure but this happened in Devon England, there is absolutely no reason to have your dog on a leash in your garden I'd wager almost anywhere in england.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I know it's awful if ones pet gets killed, but Chihuahuas are kinda of anoying and it would be funny seeing seagulls take one out lol

Damn dude..that is someone's pet. Now I don't have THAT much sympathy for people that basically allow their pets to roam the neighborhood, only to have their pet (usually cats) to be eaten. But I wouldn't ever think it would be funny.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Oh no poor do... oh it was a Chihuahua. Circle of life and all that good stuff.

Jul 3, 2019
No, seagulls will try and steal food from a cat but Feral cats hunt and kill seagulls.

Plus Cats are natural bird killers. They move way too fast and scratch and everything. When a cat really gets going they're more dangerous than most dogs.

Eagles and hawks snatch up cats regularly, just depends on the size of the bird. (easy to find videos online)

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
This is why I don't let my cats sit at the window on their own anymore. I am terrified of birds but I swear if one comes near my cat I will break it's neck.
Cats aren't part of the ecosystem, they are invasive pests if they are feral or outdoors, and have devastating effects on local wildlife. Any outdoor cat that gets killed by a predator is a win for local wildlife. Don't blame the bird for doing what it's supposed to do. Cat owners should just leave their pets indoors where they belong. That way they are safe and can't be killed by predators or cars, and can't kill native animals.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
I was like some of you monsters that dont like Chihuahuas. I couldnt stand the breed. But then I got one from a rescue and realized how monstrous I was for disliking them. They are one of best breeds out there.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Bald Eagles have made a big recovery in the Pacific Northwest. I'm sure they get their fair share of dogs and cats.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
tumblr_inline_pu09hejuTi1rcojp8_500.png

tumblr_inline_pu09hvImNz1rcojp8_500.png

good luck with that in some areas

e: apparently this is actually an albatross, so feel free to disregard this post

I'll beat his ass too.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shit happens. It's horrible for the owner and the dog but trying to place blame on the owner for this is asinine. Nature is going to nature and nobody can expect a damn seagull to snatch your dog from the backyard.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
So, how exactly did this happen? Some people said before that seagulls don't have talons so it couldn't have used its webbed feet to carry the small dog. Their beaks aren't strong enough to lift anything either. Did the seagull partially or completely swallow the dog and "carried" it this way? That sounds like an awful way to die.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I have two chihuahua mix dogs and we're very careful with them. Our back yard is pretty big and all fenced in so they can run freely, but in the part of NY where we live there are eagles and hawks all over. We always check around the area before letting them out, and if we spot anything they go inside immediately. I would never want to feel what those owners are feeling.

OP
OP
Sqrt

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
So, how exactly did this happen? Some people said before that seagulls don't have talons so it couldn't have used its webbed feet to carry the small dog. Their beaks aren't strong enough to lift anything either. Did the seagull partially or completely swallow the dog and "carried" it this way? That sounds like an awful way to die.
They seem to do the best they can with what they got:

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Some seagulls are very big. They could easily carry away a small dog in their beak. The black-backed gull is friggin huge. They're around the North Atlantic and considerably bigger than the standard herring or city gull.
There was a restaraunt in Nova Scotia that had a stuffed one. I couldn't believe how big it was.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sure but this happened in Devon England, there is absolutely no reason to have your dog on a leash in your garden I'd wager almost anywhere in england.
Fair enough, I don't know what the urban wildlife is like there so I can't comment to that. Either way looks like Seagulls have joined the list of potential predators to watch out for.

Nov 17, 2017
Sort of expected it to be a small dog coming into this thread. Hopefully the poor thing died quickly and didn't suffer. People need to be more aware of their surroundings when watching their pets. I would never be comfortable leaving a small sized dog by itself off leash anywhere outside of a home.
I wouldn't ever expect my dog to be prey to a bird, especially a seagull. Added to the fact that this happened in someone's back yard, the exact place where you feel safe to let your dog off the leash. Seagulls doing this sort of thing is completely news to me.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't ever expect my dog to be prey to a bird, especially a seagull. Added to the fact that this happened in someone's back yard, the exact place where you feel safe to let your dog off the leash. Seagulls doing this sort of thing is completely news to me.
I have no idea how it is in England but in Canada I would never presume a backyard to be safe for a small animal or baby to be left unsupervised.

cbf123

Oct 29, 2017
Seagulls are dickheads, especially at this time of year. I live by the coast and run, and these arseholes are laying eggs on top of houses or whatever, and think that I'm TRYING TO STEAL THE EGGS WHEN I'M JUST OUT RUNNING. They buzz low over my head constantly, so changing routes is a must once you find somewhere with a few of them.

Get some proper depth perception, you savage bastards, the house you're sat on top of is a little out of my reach.

Nov 17, 2017
Pfft when were we not?

tumblr_p38s10z6O11w2v2tjo1_500.gif

I have no idea how it is in England but in Canada I would never presume a backyard to be safe for a small animal or baby to be left unsupervised.
Well, I definitely would not leave a baby unsupervised in a backyard but that's a completely different topic. I don't think leaving a dog in a fence in yard is really all that dangerous. Plus, according to the story, the dog wasn't unsupervised. The owner was in the yard with the dog and just couldn't react in time. Like most people aren't just expecting a seagull to come in and carry their dog away.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Is this a new evolutionary adaptation of the change in their usual prey? I feel like I haven't heard about dog-eating-seagulls yet?