• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, Seagate's HDD reliability has absolutely no bearing on their SSD reliability. Even the shittiest SSD out there today is likely to last 10+ years as long as you use it appropriately. A game console is not going to wear out its write cycles either.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Only 2 lanes is interesting.

Hopefully the price of these expansion slots come down over time, so by the time the majority of users would require to expand their console, it is more affordable.

Actually I've wondered how this works. Is it right the 'x2' is lanes and therefore the interface in the XSX is 'x4' lanes that are split into to x2 lanes for internal SSD and x2 lanes for the external?

Or am I getting this very wrong?

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
With USB-C transfer speeds, just get a SATA SSD as external storage. You can probably get 2 TB for the same price as this.

EDIT: Because I worded this a little wonky, what I mean is transfer games from external to internal storage when you want to play them. You should max out the full 600 MB/s

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Interesting that it is listed as PCIe 4.0x2, which means the slot is effectively running at PCIe 3.0 speeds. I know they're only rating the drive at 2.4GB/s so it makes sense but puts into perspective some of the hype around next generation games requiring PCIe 4.0 drives.

I think it's due to the format. Going with M.2 2242 or M.2230 - basically laptop formats - means fewer chips and thus less bandwidth, so they offset it with Gen4, preserving the system format and maybe getting any sort of Gen4 features in the bargain.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
4.0 x2 is essentially half the bandwidth that a typical nvme gen. 4 SSD for PC has. That could maybe make it cheaper to avoid the 199 price point but it depends on the greediness of Seagate and the type of cut Microsoft gets for the branding.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Hopefully asset compression is better this gen and install sizes will be smaller..? Who am I kidding...

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only way this will cost $99 is if the price of memory across the entire market substantially drops in the next few weeks. Which it won't. Even then they probably already purchased everything on their BOM.

I'm sure Seagate won't sell these at a loss since they don't have some supplementary program to go along with it.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
4.0 x2 is essentially half the bandwidth that a typical nvme gen. 4 SSD for PC has. That could maybe make it cheaper to avoid the 199 price point but it depends on the greediness of Seagate and the type of cut Microsoft gets for the branding.
But minimum speeds will be 2.4 uncompressed and 4.8 compressed, right?

Nero3000

May 12, 2020
Actually I've wondered how this works. Is it right the 'x2' is lanes and therefore the interface in the XSX is 'x4' lanes that are split into to x2 lanes for internal SSD and x2 lanes for the external?

Or am I getting this very wrong?

I have no idea, and would only guess so.

But 2 lanes should be enough for the rated bandwidth. Hopefully it means the card is cheaper?

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
With USB-C transfer speeds, just get a SATA SSD as external storage. You can probably get 2 TB for the same price as this.

EDIT: Because I worded this a little wonky, what I mean is transfer games from external to internal storage when you want to play them. You should max out the full 600 MB/s
The idea is that here you don't have to transfer anything and you can bring the card with you to your friends.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be buying one day one.

Do we know yet start Sonys solution is for their paltry 840gb drive?

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
kinda wild that a 4TB expansion card will probably cost more than the console itself

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
I think it's due to the format. Going with M.2 2242 or M.2230 - basically laptop formats - means fewer chips and thus less bandwidth, so they offset it with Gen4, preserving the system format and maybe getting any sort of Gen4 features in the bargain.
the bargain is same bandwidth as most drives at half the internal pcielanes.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I've seen articles/posts mentioning that the switch to SSD will allow game sizes to decrease as a result of faster access to files meaning less duplication of files is needed.

Is this actually a safe assumption to make? With the scumminess of today's gaming industry where the focus is on rushing games out the door and extreme monetization of everything, I see zero reason why companies would put in that additional effort (Especially for cross gen games) when it doesn't change the game quality and doesn't bring in any extra money.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I kinda want to hold off on getting one of these until bigger ones are available but I'm not sure how feasible that's going to be. We already have 100+ gig games, I would not be at all shocked to see 200 gig games right off the bat.

I've seen articles/posts mentioning that the switch to SSD will allow game sizes to decrease as a result of faster access to files meaning less duplication of files is needed.

Is this actually a safe assumption to make? With the scumminess of today's gaming industry where the focus is on rushing games out the door and extreme monetization of everything, I see zero reason why companies would put in that additional effort (Especially for cross gen games) when it doesn't change the game quality and doesn't bring in any extra money.
I'd love for that to be the case, but I'm assuming there are going to be a lot more 4K assets and uncompressed audio for that "next gen" feel so I'd be surprised if sizes of games went down.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'll need this Day One. With such fast SSDs, I'll need like every Forza Horizon installed for whatever mood I'm in at a moment's notice.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018

Theres no additional effort here, in fact its easier to access an asset from the same place every time. Not sure how that will translate to cross gen titles- realistically the file sizes should be smaller on the next gen systems comparatively but who knows.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018

Less duplication of assets doesn't mean that they have to make more assets.
It means that you don't have to save those assets multiple times on different "lanes" around that rotating disc.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017

Most rumours point to it being a DRAMless QLC drive, so they can absolutely hit a $100 price point if there's a desire to do so. $120 would be fair, $150 or more would frankly be a complete rip off. There is precisely zero justification for a $200 price point.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017

It also saves APU die area because they don't need to allocate area for those additional 4 PCIe lanes.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Did they confirm only 1tb at launch. I see only 1tb listed but 2 has to eventually exist.

I sure understand the justification. They will make more money not releasing them right away.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Most rumours point to it being a DRAMless QLC drive, so they can absolutely hit a $100 price point if there's a desire to do so. $120 would be fair, $150 or more would frankly be a complete rip off. There is precisely zero justification for a $200 price point.

QLC would go against their "guaranteed 2.4GB/s" spec, wouldn't it? Don't they get slower as they fill up?

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That sucks to hear specially when Samsung's SSDs are some of the most expensive ones in the market

I might give Samsung another try again because quite a few people have told me I must have gotten a dud.

Their spinning rust drives or their SSD drives? They are totally different and not being good at one does not translate to being bad at the other.

Personally this gen I've had both Seagate and WD HDD's die on me (once each).
Well their SSDs aren't getting great reviews either.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
That makes sense. The lack of DRAM cache didn't even occur to me, but it makes sense. Though it could lead to lower data transfers over a certain threshold, not to mention the lower lifespan that typically comes with cacheless drives. Pairing QLC NAND with a controller without DRAM cache does not sound like a very good idea to me. Could be why they went with a x2 link.

Last edited:

savageturnip

Oct 28, 2017
It would still look overpriced but I also don't think Lockhart will be priced that high, either.
I also think they will be catering to different markets, if you are willing to spend $200 on an expansion drive surely you could stump up the extra cash for the Series X as opposed to Lockhart?

At least the high price of this proprietary storage solution is justified. I still have nightmares of the cost of Vita memory cards when you could get equivalent SSDs for a fraction of the price.

Jun 5, 2020
Why will people here need this at launch? You don't have a regular external hard drive for Xbox One games? I can't see anyone filling their hard drive up with Xbox Series X games for at least a few months.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully.....I know accessories are marked up but a $199 NVMe would look silly next to a $299 or even $249 Lockhart!

To be fair, a $180 controller looks kinda silly next to a $200 Xbox One S Digital but they still sold a shit ton this gen.

I think they proved that there's a fan base for premium accessories in addition to the folks who just want the cheap model.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
I wasn't expecting pricing and preorders today, but this website going live hours before the stream sure is a red flag that we get hardware info today and not just software.

Well, they were adamant that the show will be games only. Nothing else but games.

But they didn't say anything of the sort about the pre-show or the post-show so who knows.