• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
This is the good thing imo. To avoid 100gb games with all the free content nowadays with games.

I wanted to inform everyone of an upcoming change to our game install size resulting from work we have been doing behind the scenes to our install and patch process. To enable this change, there will be a larger than normal update size on February 6th, 2019. This change will both greatly reduce the game's overall install size and optimise the way we update Sea of Thieves moving forward.

The update will see the following changes introduced:

• Overall, the game install size will go down. For the different platforms, this will mean the following improvements:
    • Xbox One – from an install size of 35GB to 10GB
    • Xbox One X – from an install size of 47GB to 25GB
    • Windows 10 PC – from an install size of 47GB to 27GB
  • Changes to how we generate game updates/patches will better enable us to manage future content being added to the game. This might mean that patch sizes increase slightly in the future, but the benefit is that the game install size won't increase significantly. If we didn't make this change, the game install size would continue to increase, taking up more and more of your hard drive space.
  • Due to the game install changing, we'll be able to more quickly generate and transfer builds which is a significant part of day-to-day development internally at Rare. It'll mean improvements to various areas of our development process, including how quickly we can generate builds and ship them to players.
The larger than usual update on February 6th is what will allow us to make all these improvements. When you're prompted to install the update, it will download and fully reinstall the game at the install size listed above for your platform.

We wanted to let you know about this in advance so that you can plan accordingly, and we will remind people as we get closer to the date in our weekly Developer Update videos and on our social media channels.

Thank you for your understanding. This is an improvement to our process that will benefit everyone from this point onwards.

Thanks,
Joe

https://www.seaofthieves.com/news/install-size-update

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really curious to see where Sea of Thieves will go in 2019. The PVP update doesn't interest me, but the revamped quest system definitely does.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Has this ever happened before?

I've never heard of a game becoming smaller after a patch...

PinballRJ

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they could do this for Halo 5 or Gears, I wanna still play multiplayer but 100 gb is insane

Oct 25, 2017
I know it isn't sexy to talk about or even work on compression but man, I love it. Neo-Geo had the same issue - tons of bloat but they used it as an advertisement for how big their games are. I like efficiency.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think this is a really smart move. I know when I look to make room for more games on my console, I look to uninstall the huge games that take up tons of space.

Plus for people who are getting into it for the first time or redownloading it, it means they can get into the game quicker.

I imagine this will become more commonplace into next gen.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Does that new smaller install size allow you to play without downloading anything further afterwards?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I know it isn't sexy to talk about or even work on compression but man, I love it. Neo-Geo had the same issue - tons of bloat but they used it as an advertisement for how big their games are. I like efficiency.

Was this ever the case? the "100 mega shock" snk campaign was real, SNK really used those 100 Megabites (12,5 mb) in their games, they were not stupid enough to buy more expensive cartridges just for the sake of campaign

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
This is the kind of update that every game should have at some point.... The size some of those new games are getting is ridiculous

Oct 25, 2017
Was this ever the case? the "100 mega shock" snk campaign was real, SNK really used those 100 Megabites (12,5 mb) in their games, they were not stupid enough to buy more expensive cartridges just for the sake of campaign
They were not encouraged to compress their games, let me put it that way. But they also weren't bloating for no reason. Neo-Geo was so great.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
27GB for a game in this day and age is unheard of so i appreciate it. Downloading then installing FF15 on PC took the longest of this entire gen for me.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think massive installs can be a barrier of entry for some.

Coincidentally, the install size is why I deleted Sea of Thieves. I bought it on release, and the first patch required you to reinstall the entire game, and I had already stopped playing by then, so I just deleted it.

Maybe I'll try reinstalling the game some time. I haven't been following it, but it sounds like it's getting a ton of updates.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Dang, that's rather impressive, definitely something more developers need to do in general; looking at you Blops 4. Those file sizes are as impressive, if not more so than Smash Ultimate being 14GB.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Has this ever happened before?

I've never heard of a game becoming smaller after a patch...
Warframe did it. Siege kinda did it by reducing me ory footprints of its maps (still isn't finished fully as there are still maps that need to be totally done) it so that the game ended up the same size despite adding content...since then though it's increased in size to 80GB or 110GB with high res textures. But once they reduce memory footprints of some of the other maps the size will go down again only for the saved space to be take up by newer content.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I think massive installs can be a barrier of entry for some.
I've wanted to buy Shadow of War but that 100gb install is way too much for my ssd (plus the time to download). I may make room for games I really want, but for games i'm merely tempted by I don't really want to bother.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
As someone who just installed the ~110GB of Shadow of War...smaller install sizes are always nice.

I'm blown away by the degree they're managing to reduce space, too. 35GB to 10GB on the regular One is nuts.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
That's neat. Tho I dont have much of a problem with games with large file sizes. Definitely nice for people with limited data.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
This is extra nice as the Microsoft Store on Windows 10 sometimes has little.. problems with large sized games. But that has been improved too in the last couple of months. So great all around.

I do think this is extra important with Gamepass. It'll give people more reason to just hop in and out of games they want to try. I could see myself trying a 10GB game faster than I'd be trying a 40GB game.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Finally removed the multi-language support for all of their shit which will no doubt super reduce the size for these games. Probably also removed extra unused stuff and duplicates to go this far down.