• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
it seems it peaked today at 10k and has around 9k people playing right now. Not bad at all for a game that was released so long ago to such a mixed reception. Kind of surprised they kept the 40$ price tag (would expect way cheaper) but glad it seems to have sold enough to prove that releasing on steam was worth the effort.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
oof. as much as I loved playing this when I had gamepass, $40 seems extremely steep even with the new content they added.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for all the replies, everyone!

Played a couple of hours more. Did some fishing, some gold digging [which is not worth the hassle, returning a chest gets you like 150 coins], got ganked by two players for no reason whatsoever, then encountered two players who wanted to team up, but unfortunately I had to leave.

I'm not entirely sure, but dying has no penalty aside from losing whatever surplus inventory you have on your ship, right? There's no cash loss, loss of personal inventory, XP or whatever. At this point dying just seems like an inconvenience more than anything. I just brush off, get to my brand new ship and continue whatever I was doing. The only critical moments are between retrieving treasure and returning to an outpost.

Luyrar

Banned
Jul 19, 2018

Played a couple of hours more. Did some fishing, some gold digging [which is not worth the hassle, returning a chest gets you like 150 coins], got ganked by two players for no reason whatsoever, then encountered two players who wanted to team up, but unfortunately I had to leave.

I'm not entirely sure, but dying has no penalty aside from losing whatever surplus inventory you have on your ship, right? There's no cash loss, loss of personal inventory, XP or whatever. At this point dying just seems like an inconvenience more than anything. I just brush off, get to my brand new ship and continue whatever I was doing. The only critical moments are between retrieving treasure and returning to an outpost.

To increase your Gold income, search the web about emissary flags.

Sunfyre

Jan 15, 2020
I still think that the water in SoT is the most impressive graphical feature of this generation excluding Raytracing

Oct 27, 2017
The World
I still think that the water in SoT is the most impressive graphical feature of this generation excluding Raytracing

Shit looks so damn good

KeenUnsightlyFlyingfish-size_restricted.gif

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
it seems it peaked today at 10k and has around 9k people playing right now. Not bad at all for a game that was released so long ago to such a mixed reception. Kind of surprised they kept the 40$ price tag (would expect way cheaper) but glad it seems to have sold enough to prove that releasing on steam was worth the effort.
It hit 19,736 peak concurrency today.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020

There is gonna be times where you have 100k worth of loot on your ship and emissary grade 5 and you will be sunk and believe me you will be pissed about it.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to just explore for myself but I'm really confused about being an emissary for the... traders, I think? I have a tutorial quest that's, like, "Deliver three crates." To whom and how do I get these crates?

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm trying to just explore for myself but I'm really confused about being an emissary for the... traders, I think? I have a tutorial quest that's, like, "Deliver three crates." To whom and how do I get these crates?

Depends what it says in your quest wheel. Two possibilities:

If it says you must deliver 3 crates, it will include the name of an island/outpost and person where you pick them up (and it's likely they're on the outpost you're on if you're just starting). Then those crates will have a tool tip when you look at them where you can read the delivery info to find out where you're delivering to. The island destination is likely to be close by.

If you are to capture some animals, you pick up the crates for those from the merchant trader on the dock at any outpost (make sure you pick all the crates up if there are multiple). Pigs, chickens, and snakes can be found on various islands and you trap them with the crates.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really scare that the game is going to be filled with griefers and cheaters, because i just read that the DRM or something isn't working properly in the Steam version, and pirate players can play this game online and make a new account everytime get banned. :/
Bit of a late response, but in my experience I haven't found any cheaters. You will get griefed tho, it's a pirate game after all. Fortunately there's not much punishment for dying. You'll lose the stuff you had lying around in your ship, but your money, reputation points and stuff you had in your inventory stays with you.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Game doing great on Steam. Atm 26k people. Score of 82% and second top seller atm still after being on top for 2 days. CC remaster kicked it off it.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
I want this. but I want to play it with my son... $80 is too much right now. Hopefully it will be on sale soon.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Super interested in picking this up, but I'd want to play with my friends and siblings. $40 is easy enough to cough up for me alone, but $40 x 5-6 gets expensive real fast. Here's hoping it goes on sale sometime this year.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty damn relaxing.
The game is exactly this, seriously. After hours of bone crunching, head popping 3rd person games, SoT is a much needed escape. Perching on the side of your boat, with your fishing rod out, is a great way to just chill out, enjoy the sea, enjoy the simulation. Very therapeutic.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Is that because you cna run multiple instances on the same machine? cause that sounds cool!
Naw, I mean this is something you can do today if you've registered for and got invited into the Android preview for Project xCloud.

You can have one person playing on a console / TV, and other people playing on Android devices. All joined to the same party and playing in the same game. It's lots of fun!

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Walk up to the crates and there will be an option to read something. Will tell you where they are supposed to be delivered to. Use your pocketwatch to check the time.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I can't share anything of course, except to say that xCloud is a fantastic way to do Sea of Thieves couch co-op :-)

How did I never thought of that?! I want my wife to play with me and I have it on gamepass/xcloud. Im gonna try it this weekend and see how it works. What a great idea, thanks!

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Would have been nice if you could get some kind of discount when buying multiple copies.
40€ is a bit much but depending on how much excitement there is between my friends we might get it.
Yes, very weird that there's no 4 pack or something.

Will definitely buy it during a sale, if I can convince a friend to also buy it

If someone from Xbox / MS is reading, please consider adding a 4 pack or a 2 pack so friends can buy the game together at a small discount :) tends to boost sales in games like this

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I was reading some of the reviews and people are saying it needs a bit more.... no rush here to buy it, I will give it another expansion or two and then have at it.

Do reviews of it in 2020 say it needs more...content? The game has more than doubled in content since it originally launched. Most criticism I've seen that isn't in-the-weeds details on hit reg or combat focuses on design choices that are unlikely to change after any amount of updates. This is a game that some people instantly love or quickly bounce out of.

Morten88

Dec 22, 2019
Im surprised that it is doing this great on steam, isent this game also on game pass for pc?

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I can't share anything of course, except to say that xCloud is a fantastic way to do Sea of Thieves couch co-op :-)
I praise SoT couch co-op by way of xCloud as often as I can. My partner on her S, a friend on his laptop and I on my phone, literally on the same couch. We used to have to physically separate for me to go play on my consoles or desktop at my home.

Despite S-tier presentation squeezed through 720p streaming compared to my preference for local X1X or my desktop where I get 60fps, the faster loading for SoT on xCloud compared to the Xbox One family of consoles is amusing and good, and it's encouraging to know that this is just the service in Preview.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Steam global top sellers chart update: SoT retakes its place as the no.1 seller from Command and Conquer remastered collection.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Happy to see it's doing well. It's a fantastic game that Rare has done super well with since release. It's unlike anything else out there. Makes me all the more excited for Everwild to see what lessons they can take from SoT.

Steam global top sellers chart update: SoT retakes its place as the no.1 seller from Command and Conquer remastered collection.

More canonical to say that Sea of Thieves stole* the no.1 spot back.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Game hit a new player peak just a moment ago on a Monday. Looks like positive reviews are helping. Game bumped up also to #1 top seller again.
steamdb.info

Sea of Thieves · AppID: 1172620

Sea of Thieves offers the essential pirate experience, from sailing and fighting to exploring and looting – everything you need to live the pirate life and become a legend in your own right. With no set roles, you have complete freedom to approach the world, and other players, however you...

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was reading some of the reviews and people are saying it needs a bit more.... no rush here to buy it, I will give it another expansion or two and then have at it.
Unfortunately the people who say the game needs more to do before they recommend it will never recommend barring a massive overhaul of key systems in the game.

I'm in the insiders program so I can more or less see whats coming for an update or two and there won't be massive overhauls of key systems. I think these people want power progression. If they can't get +10 knockback damage cannons whats the point of playing?

Before launch, there was something of a captaincy update where you could have a persistent ship. That got scrapped for actual gameplay content. Maybe that will come back but for now every new update just adds more features and toys to the sandbox. But it's still the same sandbox.