• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
news.xbox.com

Sea of Thieves passes 15 million players since launch - Xbox Wire

It’s both thrilling and humbling to share with you that Sea of Thieves has been played by more than fifteen million players since our launch in March 2018. The way that the game and its community has continued to grow has been amazing to see. It was only in January of this year when we […]

Summary
  • Sea of Thieves has been played by more than fifteen million players since launch in March 2018.
  • June 2020 was the biggest month so far for Sea of Thieves, with over 3.3 million players setting sail.
  • Sea of Thieves has sold over 1 million copies to date on Steam since its launch on June 3, 2020.

It's both thrilling and humbling to share with you that Sea of Thieves has been played by more than fifteen million players since our launch in March 2018.

The way that the game and its community has continued to grow has been amazing to see. It was only in January of this year when we shared that 10 million people had played the game!
We're also humbled that more people have played Sea of Thieves in the first six months of 2020 than who played in the whole of 2019, which was more than 2018.

Last month – June 2020 – was also the biggest month so far for Sea of Thieves in terms of active players, with more than 3.3M players setting sail. A contributing factor to this growth has been our recent launch on Steam. We've been blown away by the support we've seen from the Steam community, with over 1M copies of the game having been sold so far and the game regularly appearing in the top selling and most played games charts.

On behalf of all of us at Rare, I'd like to say a big thank you to everyone who's ever played Sea of Thieves for helping to get us this far. It's a game that we love making, and there's plenty more to come. See you on the seas.

New to Sea of Thieves? Join the fun with our Maiden Voyage, a narrative-driven tutorial experience separate from Adventure and Arena modes. New Sea of Thieves players will begin their travels within this scenario, which provides guidance and information to fledgling sailors. Learn more about Sea of Thieves at www.xbox.com/seaofthieves, or join the ongoing adventure at www.seaofthieves.com where you can embark on an epic journey with one of gaming's most welcoming communities!

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Not my type of game, but great seeing Rare doing well again.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
meanwhile at Rare
Screen_Shot_2019-06-05_at_1.26.32_PM.jpg

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
Great news for the future of the game, that's a lot of steam copies. I love the monthly update support the game is getting and hope it evolves a lot over many years thanks to all the new players :)

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
This game was a big disappointment to me at launch, but huge credit to them for constantly updating it STILL.

Wondering if itll continue into series x lifecycle

JustALurker

Feb 12, 2019
That's absolutely incredible! 15 million is a huge achievement. I only started playing it this year because of lockdown and I'm glad I did.

Edit: this is just some anecdotal "evidence" but many strangers that I played with who were on PC tried the game on Gamepass and were planning to or had already bought the game on Steam. Gamepass is proving to be a good way to demo games too.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
awesome numbers, especially the steam sales numbers in such a short time.

Good to see Rare reaping rewards for the great efforts they did supporting the game in these two years. Might be the best success case for Xbox Games Studios software this gen, and its one build after release and alongside the community.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Took me ages to give it a proper go. Loved it to bits.

Going to be available to everyone when Xcloud launches as well.

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
1m on Steam is actually kind of crazy.

I really wonder how much MS/Rare credit Summit to almost single-handedly saving/reviving this game. I think that might be the most acute example of a single streamer benefiting a game in history.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It'd be double that if they ever release a Blast Corps ship set.

Trust me Rare. Do it. There are dozens of us etc.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Can only give them praise for the way they turned this game around after launch.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Easily the biggest new IP Xbox has had since what, Gears of War?

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
i love a good sticking with it and thriving story. has SoT much improved since its beginning? i remember watching streamers play it at the beginning, and whilst it seemed entertaining, there wasn't much to do at the time.

Nov 24, 2017
awesome numbers, especially the steam sales numbers in such a short time.

Good to see Rare reaping rewards for the great efforts they did supporting the game in these two years. Might be the best success case for Xbox Games Studios software this gen, and its one build after release and alongside the community.

You think gears failed? MCC failed? ect ect? A press release for a game that is a service prompts a best success case message? What do you measure "success"? Because calling it the best success because it released a press release is very premature. It is a success is about the only thing you can say base don available date.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
i love a good sticking with it and thriving story. has SoT much improved since its beginning? i remember watching streamers play it at the beginning, and whilst it seemed entertaining, there wasn't much to do at the time.

Very much. I still am not convinced its a wonderful perfect experience for solo players, but goddamn is it fun with friends

Nov 24, 2017
This game was a big disappointment to me at launch, but huge credit to them for constantly updating it STILL.

Wondering if itll continue into series x lifecycle

Sigh.... you are wondering if a game that is this big and have 2 to 3 million people playing every month is going to continue into series X life cycle.... a system that is backwards compatible with non kinect Xbox One games...... not to mention Xcloud being launched soon? This cant be a real message.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Is this the next biggest comeback since FF14 and NMS?

It didn't change anywhere near as much as those games imo.

There was no relaunch or anything like with FFXIV. Just regular, monthly updates that have, over two years, consistently delivered new stuff for players to do. I don't really see it as 'a comeback', just a successful GAAS title.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
Sigh.... you are wondering if a game that is this big and have 2 to 3 million people playing every month is going to continue into series X life cycle.... a system that is backwards compatible with non kinect Xbox One games...... not to mention Xcloud being launched soon? This cant be a real message.

yes I am wondering if they are going to keep up the pace of the updates despite having new IPs they are working on or if they will slow down.

your patronizing is just lovely though.

TameLucas

May 30, 2019
Montreal
I'm so happy for Rare. Their effort to improve the gaming since launch has been amazing and these numbers are totally deserved.

One of the most creative games I've experienced in years. Thanks to Game Pass, once again.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Well deserved. Rare has done an amazing job with Sea of Thieves.

Looking forward to the future of this game. Recently talked to my friends about it, and they were stoked to jump in again to see the new content that has been added since they last played in March.