• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Day 1 of Twitch drops is now live!

https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Sea of Thieves

3df0606a-be1b-46ce-82a6-deb3777eefbe.png

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm, I've unlocked the hook on Twitch but it's not showing in game for me yet

Got the hair no problem.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You know what, this last 2 months I realized that making alliances with randoms isnt that hard to at all, the first months that I played the game I thought that everyone was looking to sink others ships, but there are a lot of players who need help since they are new or just want to chill. On the last double exp weekend a brazilian asked us to make an alliance and he managed to convince all the ships on the server. I managed to finish the fate of the damned event easily and went from almost 0 gold to 1 million in a single night letting me buy the 4 costumes from the event

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
You know what, this last 2 months I realized that making alliances with randoms isnt that hard to at all, the first months that I played the game I thought that everyone was looking to sink others ships, but there are a lot of players who need help since they are new or just want to chill. On the last double exp weekend a brazilian asked us to make an alliance and he managed to convince all the ships on the server. I managed to finish the fate of the damned event easily and went from almost 0 gold to 1 million in a single night letting me buy the 4 costumes from the event

Totally agree with this! People are scared and often see the worst in others. Just like real life!

But I do think the default leans heavily into 'we just wanna get on with our shit and, yeah, it'd be cool if we allianced'. My take is to be ready to be defensive but also approach a situation like they'll be friendly.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England

(Pimping this because Chris is my bezzy and he wrote Athena's Fortune, so check it out please!)

Last edited:

ethanradd

Oct 30, 2017

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
This is dope and the best part of it is that just when you get too comfortable making alliances with randos, that's when you'll get screwed over. Totally in the spirit/setting of the game!

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017

I wish this were the case for me. I keep getting griefed trying to do things for the event and it kinda sucks. I understand it's the point of the game but spending hours on a voyage to collect four gifts to have them all griefed is frustrating and I don't understand why I'm sought out not really knowing what's going on. It's happened three times so I've just put the game aside for now until I have friends to play with. I feel like usually these type of games that have been out for a while develop a tight knit community that are just happy other people are playing so they help out newbies but it hasn't been my experience.

Like people roll up, tell me they're friendly, hop on my ship, start stealing everything and when I try to defend myself they smoke me. Finish taking all my shit when I'm stuck on the hell boat, destroy my ship or drive it off in a random direction and they're gone.

Last edited:

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Last night we were reaping and I guess we got a crew pretty salty because they lead us on a long ass chase but then randomly turned and started attacking us (poorly) while talking a ton of shit. Then after we sank them they charged right back at us talking more shit. Repeat about 5 times?

Anyways then this happened 🤣

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Don't forget to get your long hair Twitch Drop today.

It's a good hair! And Christ knows we need more hair options.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Began playing recently and I'm really enjoying this game, but as a solo player, meeting other players is mostly a frustrating afair that makes me not want to experience special content. Only met players 5 times so far, but four of those times I was sunk, killed or both before any words were traded. The last one, I decided to participate in a PVE event for the first time, since I was heading out anyways and it was nearby. Seemed like a fun boss battle on land, until someone appeared, shot me in the face with a blunderbuss and burped over my body. I will keep playing, as this game is extremely enjoyable even when only doing merchant runs or fishing, but hell truly is other people.

ethanradd

Oct 30, 2017
Wish there was at least a solos only server, so I know when I'm facing another ship it's truly one on one.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wish there was at least a solos only server, so I know when I'm facing another ship it's truly one on one.
That really would kill what SoT is imo. I'm not interested in PvP, but when I do PvE and get a haul, part of the entertainment is the nervous rush to get it onboard and to the nearest outpost without being looted.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Grogmany has begun!

The goals are as follows:
  • You or your crew must turn in 3 Chests of Rage to the Gold Hoarders.
  • Set 20 skeletons on fire, helping them get into the mischievous Grogmanay spirit.
  • Kill 3 Bone Skeletons at the same time by shooting a Gunpowder Skeleton. (5 times)
  • Set a Skeleton Ship ablaze using fire from an Ashen Winds Skull.
  • You or your crew must turn in Ashen Winds Skulls to the Order of Souls. (3 times)
  • Set 10 skeletons alight using fire from an Ashen Winds Skull.
Completing 2 of these gets you the Order of Souls Bucket.
Completing 4 of these gets you the Frostbite Cannon.
Completing 6 of these gets you the Paradise Garden Cannon Flare.

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thoughts on server hopping? I'm personally not a fan of how some people are constantly looking for reapers or easy servers to gain an advantage.

Rare should put a timer on how many times you can switch a server

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Thoughts on server hopping? I'm personally not a fan of how some people are constantly looking for reapers or easy servers to gain an advantage.

Rare should put a timer on how many times you can switch a server

I don't have an issue with it. Is it that widespread?

It was an issue when the game launched and forts only spawned once every three hours. If you wanted PVP and wanted to do a fort that was the only way to get it. Now, what's the advantage? Servers that appear quiet may not stay that way. And if you're flying Reaper's Bones you've advertised you're ready for a challenge. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the server hopping is the problem.

Especially when people start having scouts, or 3-4 people are just rummaging through the servers looking for the active FotD or Grade-5 Reaper. Athene's Emissaries are also a lucrative target.

The game becomes unfair for the people who just play it, because the Reaper-Galleon can scount 20 servers in 10 minutes. If you are doing emissary/risky stuff, the threat is much greater and to make the matters worse, these fucking server-hoppers never carry any loot.

I think there needs to be a cooldown. You get to switch the server every 30 minutes. I am sure half of the SoT streamers would just quit the game because most of them are using scouts and chat-people to give them conflict-ready servers. And being a PVP person in the server that doesn't have juicy targets is a boring experience.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Yeah, noticed a huge influx of this lately, default ships with no loot just showing up. There's not even any point fighting them when it's like that.

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone having issues with the tracking of the five stolen things event? I sold 2 stolen chests to the gold hoarders and didnt track

ilikesanta

Oct 26, 2017
I tried lighting a skelly galleon on fire with the flame skull but nothing caught on fire. Fire bombs did thier job, but won't get the challenge completed.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I tried lighting a skelly galleon on fire with the flame skull but nothing caught on fire. Fire bombs did thier job, but won't get the challenge completed.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

you have to closer than you think. We basically boarded it and sprayed the fire everywhere

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Yeah, I had to get on board, then aimed at the mast for a few seconds of burst til it caught, repeated for another section, then left before I died.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
What's funny is that, despite having thousands of hours in the game, I wasn't sure how the ashen skull fire mechanic worked (in terms of range/damage etc) because I'd never used one before because they're worth so much damn money to sell.

10,000 gold is hard to turn down when you've already got a pocket full of fire bombs. Never seems worth it.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
The steam sqle did wonders for the game. Over 50k concurrent users today on steam alone. It wasnt that much since july when the game releqsed on steam and was at less than 20k peak lately. Hopefully it doesnt take them too long to drop seasons to help with player retentiob.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The steam sqle did wonders for the game. Over 50k concurrent users today on steam alone. It wasnt that much since july when the game releqsed on steam and was at less than 20k peak lately. Hopefully it doesnt take them too long to drop seasons to help with player retentiob.

have definitely been interacting with a lot of brand new players on the seas. It's fun!

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My friend who I frequent SoT with got a new laptop and wanted to try playing on that, so had to switch matchmaking preference.

Damn the non-Xbox-only seas are spicy...

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well, after logging again it seems that it finally tracked the challenges from the 12 deeds of giving, but I don't have the rewards associated with it. Do I have to buy them somewhere?

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
10,000 gold is hard to turn down when you've already got a pocket full of fire bombs. Never seems worth it.

The trick is that you use the other ship's skulls against them once you board them. Sure, you're still kind of burning your own money, but only kinda. The flamethrower skulls are the only things I bother to try to "hide" on my own ship, aside from the classic gunpowder barrel storage at the top of the mast.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Reminder to get your Twitch Drop peg leg today!

Who doesn't want a giant icicle sticking out of the severed knee.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This is your daily reminder to get your Twitch Drop trousers today.

You don't wanna be nekkid from the waist down.

klaus

Oct 28, 2017
Had a weird session yesterday.

Felt a bit mischievous and snuck on board a sloop together with a boom boom, waiting for the right moment to strike. At some point, Meg starts attacking and I get spotted lying in the powder keg. The guy just stands still for a second, continues to repair and when the ship is hit again, starts calling for help. So what can you do - repaired the ship & helped him get rid of Meg. We start an alliance and I go off to hunt a reaper's ship, hungry to shed some blood.

Well that reaper's ship turned out to be another solo sloop, and the guy was on a cargo mission (??), searching for the person at the outpost to sell stuff. So what can you do - helped him carry the stuff over and he offers an alliance, so of course I join.

I think I'm getting old & soft :)

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Had a weird session yesterday.

Felt a bit mischievous and snuck on board a sloop together with a boom boom, waiting for the right moment to strike. At some point, Meg starts attacking and I get spotted lying in the powder keg. The guy just stands still for a second, continues to repair and when the ship is hit again, starts calling for help. So what can you do - repaired the ship & helped him get rid of Meg. We start an alliance and I go off to hunt a reaper's ship, hungry to shed some blood.

Well that reaper's ship turned out to be another solo sloop, and the guy was on a cargo mission (??), searching for the person at the outpost to sell stuff. So what can you do - helped him carry the stuff over and he offers an alliance, so of course I join.

I think I'm getting old & soft :)

Lovely!

Cargo is actually pretty good for Reapers, weirdly.... If we pick something up that want to sel to the Reapers (a Reaper's Bounty maybe) but we're not in the Reaper's Emissary yet, we'll join the emissary at an outpost, stick down a cargo mission (must be at the outpost already to make it worthwhile because ONE cargo mission will spawn there, you can't double up) and then just take that cargo to the Reaper's hideout. Selling it to the Reaper's will instantly get you to Reapers grade two (and a bit) and then you're good to sell your other items with the bonus you get from that.

It's super quick, simple and it's worth it to get a nice bonus on your gold/rep.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Over the holidays I got two friends of mine hooked on this who never wanted to try this game because it "didn't seem interesting".

Pretty funny how all it took was one session before they were calling on me to get online for some more the next day. I've been playing with a bud since day 1 and loving it, so it's awesome to get others in on the action finally.

This game gets you good.

klaus

Oct 28, 2017
Cargo is actually pretty good for Reapers, weirdly.... If we pick something up that want to sel to the Reapers (a Reaper's Bounty maybe) but we're not in the Reaper's Emissary yet, we'll join the emissary at an outpost, stick down a cargo mission (must be at the outpost already to make it worthwhile because ONE cargo mission will spawn there, you can't double up) and then just take that cargo to the Reaper's hideout. Selling it to the Reaper's will instantly get you to Reapers grade two (and a bit) and then you're good to sell your other items with the bonus you get from that.

It's super quick, simple and it's worth it to get a nice bonus on your gold/rep.
Aha, pretty clever, thanks for sharing!