• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Was on the fishing Galleon yesterday, tried to make use of that double XP shit.

Boring, slow, and uneventful. Got it like 4 or 5 levels up.

At the very least, it could have Emissary with basic fetch quests "Catch X Stormfish or Battlegills for bonus", so instead of just mindlessly fishing, you go for the storm-fishing and fort-fishing as a quest. Or perhaps it could have Athenna-like Quest of giving you 8 request orders for different fishies, and completing it would grant you the payday.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Was on the fishing Galleon yesterday, tried to make use of that double XP shit.

Boring, slow, and uneventful. Got it like 4 or 5 levels up.

At the very least, it could have Emissary with basic fetch quests "Catch X Stormfish or Battlegills for bonus", so instead of just mindlessly fishing, you go for the storm-fishing and fort-fishing as a quest. Or perhaps it could have Athenna-like Quest of giving you 8 request orders for different fishies, and completing it would grant you the payday.

If they do emissary/voyages for hunter's call, I think they will introduce some new loot type that needs to be carried rather than sitting kn your inventory where it won't get lost if your ship sinks. It'd be too disruptive to pvp/emissary systems if it doesn't.

Oct 27, 2017
If they do emissary/voyages for hunter's call, I think they will introduce some new loot type that needs to be carried rather than sitting kn your inventory where it won't get lost if your ship sinks. It'd be too disruptive to pvp/emissary systems if it doesn't.

We already have a system where Merchant Emissary is a no-value target for Reaper's.

I don't think that yours is a good counter-argument against Hunter Emissary, but I agree with the idea that all emissaries should carry valuable and steal-able loot. I also think that if there was a fisherman emissary, it should not give rank for catching non-target fishes, because... I think people would just ignore the quests, or the quests would have to be such a high gold value that it would make the Hunter Emissary among the top sources of gold generation.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
We already have a system where Merchant Emissary is a no-value target for Reaper's.

I don't think that yours is a good counter-argument against Hunter Emissary, but I agree with the idea that all emissaries should carry valuable and steal-able loot. I also think that if there was a fisherman emissary, it should not give rank for catching non-target fishes, because... I think people would just ignore the quests, or the quests would have to be such a high gold value that it would make the Hunter Emissary among the top sources of gold generation.

True, though I've made similar arguments for updating the Merchant Alliance a bit before, so at least I'm consistent :)

Honestly, the Merchant's Alliance proposes a nice solution though: Fish Crates! The voyages could be for a crate of FISH_TYPE, and you can only turn them in when they are full, and they take X fish to fill up. Then make it so those crates are lootable, and have some (lesser) value even without the voyage, and we're in pretty good shape.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Bumping the thread for folks watching it again... to remind you that today's Twitch Drop is the new capstan for the Ori ship set. Have at it!

da559a42-412e-4ec8-b885-5e10b2d89c99.png

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Pirate joins my sloop. Proceeds to change the livery, knock me overboard with a grenade, dumps my cargo overboard and sails off. What a fucking prick.

Oct 29, 2017
So I just started playing this (using Game Pass on PC) over the weekend. Really great experience so far. I had a question though I was wondering if any other PC users could help me out with.

I play at 800 DPI on my mouse and usually roll with low/medium sensitivity in FPS games. Setting my mouse sensitivity in-game to 1.7 does the trick for me, and increasing the sensitivity to the maximum 10 for all of the "aim down sights" options makes aiming guns feel fine as well. However, this is NOT the case for using cannons on ships or the spy glass. I have to literally swipe the mouse across my desk 5 times in order to aim a cannon from one side to the other.

The workaround I've been using is, since I prefer driving ships with the controller, I usually simply grab my Xbox One controller since it's nearby anyway when hopping on to control a cannon. But I started experimenting last night with having a DPI switch hotkey good to go so I can quadruple my sensitivity whenever I am using a cannon or a spy glass...but this just feels like I'm missing something simple.

Is there not a more elegant solution to this issue? Maybe a setting buried somewhere that I missed or a .ini file workaround?

Edit: Also I'm not seeing any Prime loot on Twitch associated with this game? Not sure where you guys are seeing that a few posts up.

Last edited:

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So I just started playing this (using Game Pass on PC) over the weekend. Really great experience so far. I had a question though I was wondering if any other PC users could help me out with.

I play at 800 DPI on my mouse and usually roll with low/medium sensitivity in FPS games. Setting my mouse sensitivity in-game to 1.7 does the trick for me, and increasing the sensitivity to the maximum 10 for all of the "aim down sights" options makes aiming guns feel fine as well. However, this is NOT the case for using cannons on ships or the spy glass. I have to literally swipe the mouse across my desk 5 times in order to aim a cannon from one side to the other.

The workaround I've been using is, since I prefer driving ships with the controller, I usually simply grab my Xbox One controller since it's nearby anyway when hopping on to control a cannon. But I started experimenting last night with having a DPI switch hotkey good to go so I can quadruple my sensitivity whenever I am using a cannon or a spy glass...but this just feels like I'm missing something simple.

Is there not a more elegant solution to this issue? Maybe a setting buried somewhere that I missed or a .ini file workaround?

Have you tried WASD for the cannons? The acceleration on those is faster than the mouse anyway, so I'll use that to get myself into the ballpark, then use the mouse for precision.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried WASD for the cannons? The acceleration on those is faster than the mouse anyway, so I'll use that to get myself into the ballpark, then use the mouse for precision.
This is what I do but I'm fairly new to PC SoT.

What I can't get down is how to reload the cannons and aim reliably. Maybe I just have no dexterity idk. I can't aim and reload at the same time

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Best way to match with a friends ship on the same server?

My understanding is that one of the ships stays in the same server, while the other keeps connecting and disconnecting. Every time they get in game, they run to the map table, and tell the other ship to put up the reaper's mark flag for a sec. If you see it pop up on the map where they say they are, then you are on the same server. If not, disconnect and try again.

I have never actually tried this, as my crew doesn't have more than 4 looking to play very frequently.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My understanding is that one of the ships stays in the same server, while the other keeps connecting and disconnecting. Every time they get in game, they run to the map table, and tell the other ship to put up the reaper's mark flag for a sec. If you see it pop up on the map where they say they are, then you are on the same server. If not, disconnect and try again.

I have never actually tried this, as my crew doesn't have more than 4 looking to play very frequently.

They don't have to reroll for each separate member

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
They don't have to reroll for each separate member

Right, I didn't mean to imply that... though it might actually be best to have literally everybody except one person doing the disconnect/reconnect thing... more chances to end up with two ships on the same server if there's more ships... then everyone can consolidate into the 2 ships that find each other? Maybe...

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Best way to match with a friends ship on the same server?

I've heard that if you are all in the same general area IRL and all connect simultaneously on separate boats, it will generally put most of you in the same server. I've not tried it, but this also sounds like the weird magic that me and a friend had to do way back when to even get Two Worlds co-op to work. Technically, though, I could try it with four boats in my house, since I have it on Xbox and PC, and my two teenagers have it, too. Hmmmm.....

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've heard that if you are all in the same general area IRL and all connect simultaneously on separate boats, it will generally put most of you in the same server. I've not tried it, but this also sounds like the weird magic that me and a friend had to do way back when to even get Two Worlds co-op to work. Technically, though, I could try it with four boats in my house, since I have it on Xbox and PC, and my two teenagers have it, too. Hmmmm.....

I tried this with 6 friends who live in a radius of 50 kms for 2 hours to no luck

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I tried this with 6 friends who live in a radius of 50 kms for 2 hours to no luck

It's not a foolproof method and it's sometimes worked for me but other times we've tried for ages and just never got in to the same server. You're obviously not supposed to do it so it's a bit of luck really...

When we've done it we've all booted in (in individual sessions!) at the same time, all on closed crew ships (whatever ship type we want) and then killed ourselves at the outpost. Wait on the Ferry of the Damned to see if any of us loaded into the same server. If not, rinse and repeat. Eventually we get three of us on the same Ferry (or whatever) and we all invite the rest of the folk onto our ships.

But yeah, it's a bit of luck and we barely ever do it because it takes ages/barely ever works.

Another method is to just befriend someone on the seas and try to 'buy' their boat from them. Offer them a load of loot or something, get them to invite one of you to their game and then get them to quit the game.

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's not a foolproof method and it's sometimes worked for me but other times we've tried for ages and just never got in to the same server. You're obviously not supposed to do it so it's a bit of luck really...

When we've done it we've all booted in (in individual sessions!) at the same time, all on closed crew ships (whatever ship type we want) and then killed ourselves at the outpost. Wait on the Ferry of the Damned to see if any of us loaded into the same server. If not, rinse and repeat. Eventually we get three of us on the same Ferry (or whatever) and we all invite the rest of the folk onto our ships.

But yeah, it's a bit of luck and we barely ever do it because it takes ages/barely ever works.

Another method is to just befriend someone on the seas and try to 'buy' their boat from them. Offer them a load of loot or something, get them to invite one of you to their game and then get them to quit the game.

When you go to the ferry of the damned you respawn in another server? Tons of times I have faced people that I defeated

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
When you go to the ferry of the damned you respawn in another server? Tons of times I have faced people that I defeated

No, you stay in the same server. The reason for us all to go to the Ferry is becuase it warps you all to the same place (the Ferry) so you can very quickly see if you're in the same server or not.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
If your party has the Athena's Fortune emissary flag, voting on that on the table in the tavern where you spawn is a quick way to see if you're on the same server. You can vote it up/down and if you see multiple ships go in/out there you know you're probably on the same server. When I've done it we then use the Reaper's flag to confirm.

Faster than going to the ferry or just putting up the Reaper flag.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Hey guys. I downloaded this last night. I've only done a few hours of solo play to get my head round the game and I'm having fun so far. Anyone wanna teach me the ropes?

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys. I downloaded this last night. I've only done a few hours of solo play to get my head round the game and I'm having fun so far. Anyone wanna teach me the ropes?

Sure! Shoot me your GT.

I'm also new and so far have had my ship simultaneously on fire and sinking. So I'm terrible but I'm having fun.

My GT is shiba5

Edit: Right as I was logging off someone sank my boat. They wasted their time. There wasn't anything on it.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Edit: Right as I was logging off someone sank my boat. They wasted their time. There wasn't anything on it.

Tons of people will junk sink you on sight. Reasons being loot expectations, getting you out of their way or just straight up bullying.

I dont go out catching others, buy we aint interested in having a random sloop within the cannon range around.

Meg + kraken should never overlap, it is a death sentence for a brig/gally. I cannot imagine who would think that it a fair encounter.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Recently started playing this with my SO and 2 friends of ours, and we've had a lot of fun thus far. It's a much prettier game than I expected it to be, and also very fun and rewarding, even though I'm still very new to it all and will need some time to adapt and get the ropes. That been said, it feels like it's far easier for crews of 2 people to attack and outmaneuver crews of 4 people, am I wrong for thinking this? We've been attacked today by a ship of two, and or galleon sank pretty fast, it felt too slow compared to their ship. Either way, it's still all fun!

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Recently started playing this with my SO and 2 friends of ours, and we've had a lot of fun thus far. It's a much prettier game than I expected it to be, and also very fun and rewarding, even though I'm still very new to it all and will need some time to adapt and get the ropes. That been said, it feels like it's far easier for crews of 2 people to attack and outmaneuver crews of 4 people, am I wrong for thinking this? We've been attacked today by a ship of two, and or galleon sank pretty fast, it felt too slow compared to their ship. Either way, it's still all fun!

Yesss! shiba5 joined me for the first time the other night and we had a great time!

The ship sizes should be FAIRLY well balanced but I would maybe say that a 3 or 4 person crew needs to a bit more co-ordination. After all, a sloop (the small ship) can happily be piloted by one proficient player, leaving the other crew mate to do whatever they want (cannons, leaving the ship to go and cause trouble in person etc). A sloop can be kept afloat pretty well by one person.

The Brig and the Galleon, on the other hand, need to be a bit more hands on when things start going wrong. One person cannot keep a large ship afloat on their own. It takes forever to raise the anchor on a galleon etc.

That's obviously countered by the fact that the larger ships have much more firepower (ie more cannons on each side), more crew members and, in the case of the 3 person brigantine... it's simply the fastest ship in the game (by a small amount).

I think there is variance depending on the crew and their experience but, on the face of it, the ships should be fairly balanced.

Personally I hate (and suck) at sailing four person galleons though. They're so big and slow to control and really require co-ordination. I have a friend who will only play with a four person crew though. They hate the small ships!

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yesss! shiba5 joined me for the first time the other night and we had a great time!

The ship sizes should be FAIRLY well balanced but I would maybe say that a 3 or 4 person crew needs to a bit more co-ordination. After all, a sloop (the small ship) can happily be piloted by one proficient player, leaving the other crew mate to do whatever they want (cannons, leaving the ship to go and cause trouble in person etc). A sloop can be kept afloat pretty well by one person.

The Brig and the Galleon, on the other hand, need to be a bit more hands on when things start going wrong. One person cannot keep a large ship afloat on their own. It takes forever to raise the anchor on a galleon etc.

That's obviously countered by the fact that the larger ships have much more firepower (ie more cannons on each side), more crew members and, in the case of the 3 person brigantine... it's simply the fastest ship in the game (by a small amount).

I think there is variance depending on the crew and their experience but, on the face of it, the ships should be fairly balanced.

Personally I hate (and suck) at sailing four person galleons though. They're so big and slow to control and really require co-ordination. I have a friend who will only play with a four person crew though. They hate the small ships!
It's a good balance because it revolves around crew ability/coordination. I will say, a well oiled Galleon crew should be able to wreck about anyone. The firepower, tanking ability, and the extra people available to board/repel boarders is huge. Make sure you don't ignore your middeck holes because one ballast ball can end you

Honesty I think the weakest ship in the game is the Brig. A good sloop can easily sink a brig. The sloop can withstand much more punishment since it fills up so slow, especially from holes in the back map room area.

Any hit you get on the brig is gonna start filling.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Niiiiiiiiice!

It really is a delight of a game. The big thing my group worked out was that you really do need somebody assigned to repairs and bailing before you get a good sense of how much water is too much water to have on a sailing ship, lol.

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone wants to help me farm the arena challenges from the summer event? I have to wait 2 hours before a friends arrive, and I only have like 4 hours left

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is spawn camping encouraged? or could be labeled as trolling? I wasted 30 minutes against 3 brazilians who spawn camped us to death

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Is spawn camping encouraged? or could be labeled as trolling? I wasted 30 minutes against 3 brazilians who spawn camped us to death

Whoa, 30 minutes? At a certain point after 3-4 tries, it's time to throw in the towel. There's just a point where you're probably not going to be able to get the upper hand back - especially if there are multiple people on your boat. This is why there is a note on the ferry of the damned to tell you to scuttle your ship if you're getting spawn camped.

It's obnoxious when you're at the losing end of it, but it is within the scope of the game.

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
Spawn camping kinda depends to me, tbh.

If you're spawn camping to buy time in order to steal treasure/resources from the enemy ship, or to ensure no one fixes the holes, I think it's fair game. If you're doing it just for the sake of making your enemy feel miserable, then I find it an incredibly toxic behavior.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Spawn camping kinda depends to me, tbh.

If you're spawn camping to buy time in order to steal treasure/resources from the enemy ship, or to ensure no one fixes the holes, I think it's fair game. If you're doing it just for the sake of making your enemy feel miserable, then I find it an incredibly toxic behavior.

You're right. Especially doing it for that long - like, why. Doesn't seem like that would be fun.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you absolutely spawn camp until the ship is down, so no respawning folks can save it or sneak aboard your own ship, but you do the work to make the ship go down, you don't just torment folks endlessly

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's an option to scuttle on the ferry. Or in menus. Just do that if you dont think you can fight them off.