• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't know because I'm not a monster who fires dogs out of cannons

They love it! They look so happy while loaded. Then they quickly teleport back to the boat.

My partner gets very annoyed by my penchant for doing this lol. They are also annoyed by me putting my bird in the bird jail by the captain's table. It's to keep him safe!
I'm a monster.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I know that, is just that the first seconds where you touch water and is still fast felt slower

Edit: Do you earn titles by completing the 4 challenges in each milestone from the summer event?

I also thought it felt slightly slower post Vault of the Ancients. If it changed at all, it was very slight. It may be that the change was that directional inputs while sword lunging have a little bit more of an impact? During one of my boarding actions, I felt like pulling back on the stick to try to avoid dashing under their ship and way too far did more for me than it usually does, and maybe similarly when trying to curve my lunges.

I thought I had imagined it until i saw your first post about it tho, so maybe we both just imagined it

EDIT to avoid double post: Are there any vaults in the Devil's Roar? No, right? Can you get ghost ship voyages for devil's roar? I don't think I have tried that before. I know the skeleton fleet, megs, and krakens spawn there sometimes, but I don't think I've ever seen a skellie fort/flameheart/fire tornado in that region either now that I think about it.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what they need to do?

Once this vault of the ancients thing is done, they need to move this quest type to being the grade V emissary quest and PUMP up that chests value.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting a weird issue in this game on PC. I have a gsync setup, with a pretty powerful PC running between 90-150 fps even in the most demanding areas.

It seems that if I don't cap my FPS to 90, I get all sort of werid micro-stuttering while moving the camera. Capping to anything other than 90, including leaving the framerate unlocked causes this.

This is true on either my 120Hz TV or 144Hz monitor - both gsync displays without this issue in any other game.

Feels bad man.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Last night was a crazy night, which I'll post about later, but tonight ended in a very funny way, too.

Had a brig going with two friends to try out the vaults. We hit L5 gold hoarders pretty fast, well before the vault itself. After doing the vault, there was a sunken ship right next to the island, so we got that. Then a skeleton sloop pulled up right next to us. As we're grabbing the loot from the sloop, server merge. We merge into a server with a L5 reaper galleon, that's now coming right at us. We get to Golden Sands, get everything sold, and lower right as they get there. They're kind of mad, but peel off because there are two other GH emissaries on the map, and an empty ship is a good waste of resources.

We go sell some fish we had for Sea Dogs rep, sink a skeleton galleon, and the golden reaper bounty spawns almost right next to us. We say fuck it and grab it. We only have a few thousand worth of loot and have made a shit ton already, so if we can't get it back to turn in, oh well. The reapers have obviously been successful in their dunks of other ships, and even though they are on the east of the map, they start racing towards reapers outpost. We get there and sell the reapers chest and the captains skull from the skeleton ship, while our third sails our ship away. The reaper ship is pretty pissed, as this is the second time we've sold before they can get to us. So they start chasing us.

Since we're done playing and really don't care, we just start throwing the stuff we do have overboard, then vote to scuttle right as they get to up on us. They were very upset. I laughed. I got blunderbussed in the face. I laugh again. I take a small amount of pleasure in knowing they either got nothing, or spent a stupid amount of time trying to pick stuff up that wasn't worth much.

Oct 27, 2017
PSA

Do NOT use the Vault quest from the bar girl. It is said to be random and usually low quality.

Buy the quest from the Gold Horders pimp, it is supposed to scale with your rep to get the Golden Key at high rates.

oasis007

Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of the time limit in the new vaults. Barely time to grab a lot of loot, let alone finding the 3 medallions and solving the riddle.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of the time limit in the new vaults. Barely time to grab a lot of loot, let alone finding the 3 medallions and solving the riddle.

Without the timer there wouldn't be any challenge. Plus, the more of them you do, the more you develop a rhythm and the less stringent the timer feels. Solo, yes, you have to prioritize, but with two or more people, you just assign people to individual tasks. One getting medallions, one/two getting chests. Never bother with the gold piles until the end. It gets easier.

Wonder if this is the source of the discrepancy for how valuable the vaults are?

The better the key, the more loot in the vault. I also feel like the treasure spawns that happen on islands where you are collecting map pieces need to be included in people's calculations. My guess is that some people ignore/don't even know that extra loot spawns at each of these aa part of the voyage.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Without the timer there wouldn't be any challenge. Plus, the more of them you do, the more you develop a rhythm and the less stringent the timer feels. Solo, yes, you have to prioritize, but with two or more people, you just assign people to individual tasks. One getting medallions, one/two getting chests. Never bother with the gold piles until the end. It gets easier.

The better the key, the more loot in the vault. I also feel like the treasure spawns that happen on islands where you are collecting map pieces need to be included in people's calculations. My guess is that some people ignore/don't even know that extra loot spawns at each of these aa part of the voyage.

Agreed, we were at map piece 2 or 3 before we put it together that the weird skellies dropped loot

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
In my experience the vaults give a lot of loot. Some shitty but often pretty good. For a standard quest they're pretty generous, and twice I've been able to find the statuette super fast by being lucky with the map fragments I get first.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
PSA

Do NOT use the Vault quest from the bar girl. It is said to be random and usually low quality.

Buy the quest from the Gold Horders pimp, it is supposed to scale with your rep to get the Golden Key at high rates.

Another way of looking at it... specifically use the quests from the bar girl if you're just trying to get the Chest of Ancient Tributes out and don't care about the rest of the loot.

I've got six and a half million gold and am level 75 Gold Hoarders. Me and my crew have just specifically been racing through the vault missions to get the new sails and the lower quality quests are loads better for us! Because there's less scaffolding in the lower quality ones. They're much easier to finish without having to leap all over thin beams on the roof. We just leave all the other loot.

You are right though. If you're doing vaults for loot then the Gold Hoarder ones (that only cost like 200 gold) are the ones to get.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Just had a superb crew mate on a random sloop. They just knew what they were doing. We got soooo much stuff and utterly, effortlessly, outclassed a hostile sloop with some slaloming around stacks. We didn't even shoot, we just out sailed them and completely outpaced them. It's so so cool when the boat is handled properly.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have rank 45 in both the Order of Souls and the Merchant Alliance. Is there a fast way to reach 50? I saw someone on reddit reaching Legend Pirate in less than 24 hours, and according to them, it was possible thanks to the devil's roar voyages. Does this voyages give faster ranks than the regular voyages?

Also, to be a Legend Pirate I only need to have Rank 50 in the 3 main alliances?

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I have rank 45 in both the Order of Souls and the Merchant Alliance. Is there a fast way to reach 50? I saw someone on reddit reaching Legend Pirate in less than 24 hours, and according to them, it was possible thanks to the devil's roar voyages. Does this voyages give faster ranks than the regular voyages?

Also, to be a Legend Pirate I only need to have Rank 50 in the 3 main alliances?

Emissary + Devil's Roar voyages = fast rep

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

This coming weekend is double gold and rep!

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget that the Bilge Rats black market refreshed with the new patch too so you can buy one level for 20 doubloons from the new pirate lass who's name I forget in front of the tavern .

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw that on reddit.

I don't think we saw the first pirate legend until like 2 weeks after launch? And it was because it was a "pro gamer" with a big community who would clear forts for him and let him log in and sell the loot.

Most people never got it within a year.

The only reason I got it within a year is they added the rank up packages and Devils Roar.

Going from 40-50 took as long as 1-40.

With emmisaries, devils roar, and all the events and loot around the world... I'm glad it has been lessened. Now its time to make more PL content or release the captaincy update

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I joined in march and got legend in July or August, but I recognize it is much easier to gain rep these days than it was at launch.

Some friends and I were thinking about trying to keep a ship going for 24 straight hours for Extra Life this year...

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I joined in march and got legend in July or August, but I recognize it is much easier to gain rep these days than it was at launch.

Some friends and I were thinking about trying to keep a ship going for 24 straight hours for Extra Life this year...

I'm going to be playing SoT for 24 hours for Extra Life myself. I doubt I'll keep a single ship going, as a lot of my donation incentives are going to result in sunk boats. Stuff like, "Take a keg onto an enemy ship" and "pilot a galleon solo for X time"

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to be playing SoT for 24 hours for Extra Life myself. I doubt I'll keep a single ship going, as a lot of my donation incentives are going to result in sunk boats. Stuff like, "Take a keg onto an enemy ship" and "pilot a galleon solo for X time"

My friends are most interested in trying to keep a reaper ship going for 24 straight hours and trying never to sell the loot until the end. I do not think it is going to end well for us, but we might get lucky. Our best run ever involved sinking 6 ships in like 2 hours without ever going down, so if those trends continued.... HEYYYYYYYYYYYY

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Reminder that it's double gold and rep this whole weekened!

Double rep/gold with a level 5 emissary is gonna be... wowsers. That'll be like 10,000 for a red gem alone?

Probably a good time to do some sneaky Reaper's if everyone else is running Emissarys.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Will hit PL, finally, this weekend. 50 OOS, 48 GH, 40 Merchants. Will cane MA Emissary this weekend.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think we saw the first pirate legend until like 2 weeks after launch? And it was because it was a "pro gamer" with a big community who would clear forts for him and let him log in and sell the loot.
People always drag him for this but between the option of showing a dude grinding forts and server hopping (which is what he was doing until the last couple of hours) and showing loading onto boats with big skull hauls so he could finish out the last company, in terms of what was more engaging for the audience he probably made the right decision picking the latter.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is there anyway that you could know how many hours have you played the game? I'm interested in that stat

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Anyone with Gamepass Ultimate know if the emote given away on talk like a pirate day weekend is unique, or just an old one given away for free?

Jun 20, 2018
I've been wanting to jump into this game for a while, but being solo put me off. May as well give it a try with the double gold/rep weekend though.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been wanting to jump into this game for a while, but being solo put me off. May as well give it a try with the double gold/rep weekend though.

Don't play solo, go discord to find the group.

The game is pretty trashy if you cannot play at least duo. Anything from being wrecked by multi-crew ships, to content being practically unavailable, to just generally having a boring-ass time sailing and doing the fetch quests alone.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Don't play solo, go discord to find the group.

The game is pretty trashy if you cannot play at least duo. Anything from being wrecked by multi-crew ships, to content being practically unavailable, to just generally having a boring-ass time sailing and doing the fetch quests alone.

Different strokes. I actually have fun soloing. My goals are generally different, but it's not trashy as a solo player at all.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
What are your goals?

They trend to either doing Tall Tales or solo Reaper'ing. The stakes with either are pretty low, especially since the Tall Tales have checkpoints and I use solo Reaper'ing mostly as an opportunity to improve my PvP skills. Some of my wildest experiences in the game have been when I'm soloing and doing either of these two things.

Oct 27, 2017
They trend to either doing Tall Tales or solo Reaper'ing. The stakes with either are pretty low, especially since the Tall Tales have checkpoints and I use solo Reaper'ing mostly as an opportunity to improve my PvP skills. Some of my wildest experiences in the game have been when I'm soloing and doing either of these two things.

I see. I think you are limited in doing events, vaults and sinking other ships. Even things like Ashen or Storms are painful for the solo-Sloop just because it usually takes two to both steer and maintain the ship's health. Plus a lot of commendations and achievements are for the party play.

Kraken is just 6 cannon shots in the Sloop, while it keeps fucking Galleon for 10 minutes wasting 50+ cannon balls... I think Rare needs to either tune-down Kraken/Meg difficulty for Galleons, or boost the reward. Getting 5 Seafarer chest and 5 Kraken Meats for a whole lot of work, and the insanely risky forced parking is not even remotely worth it. I think all Galleons just ignore Meg unless it is the non-existent ghost one.

I hope they rework or introduce new progression paths/events for the Hunter. It is kind of half-baked compared to the other companies... At least give the emissary.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I see. I think you are limited in doing events, vaults and sinking other ships. Even things like Ashen or Storms are painful for the solo-Sloop just because it usually takes two to both steer and maintain the ship's health. Plus a lot of commendations and achievements are for the party play.

That's fair in terms of events. I'll definitely fight skele sloops or megs if they appear, but to be honest, the only event I'll solo is Flameheart, and that's mostly because it's good solo sloop practice in terms of cannons, piloting, and having to repair all yourself. It's made me a considerably better player overall.

I did solo an Ashen event once, and it technically wasn't too bad, but It was definitely a whole lot to keep track of simultaneously, so I probably won't do that again.

I've not tried a vault solo, but I can see why that wouldn't be a great solo experience...especially the higher level keys.

Sinking ships, though, I'd say that trying solo has made me a better player overall, too. For me, I've learned some nifty maneuvers and parts of the map that are beneficial for a sloop. I've learned positioning and when it is best to strike a target. I apply all of this to when I'm playing with my friends, who don't put as much time into the game as I do.

Don't get me wrong, I've sunk a whole lot. But I sink less now than when I started.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Storms arent that bad anymore solo, they've really tuned down how often/how hard you get hit by crashing waves. They used to be impossible, now its like a minor annoyance

Oct 27, 2017
Storms arent that bad anymore solo, they've really tuned down how often/how hard you get hit by crashing waves. They used to be impossible, now its like a minor annoyance

But you have to let the wheel go and fix/bucket, which means that the ship will spin and go off course?

More difficult PVE activities which aren't just investing X amount of time for X amount of reward:
• Fisherman quest for tracking and killing the whale. You could track by the golden key equivalent, sound cues, or just firework-like signals. You know the whale does those air-blows out of the back, so the crew would have to work together tracking the whale.
• Maze: similar to vaults, but requires coordination to get the keys or memorize symbols scattered across the challenge room maze. Vaults got really old real quick, and the puzzle itself is a bit of the joke now.
• Perhaps the unsinkable wandering NPC ship, who doesn't attack unprovoked, but has the skelly boss inside that you have to take down on the move. So the trick is that this time, you have to upkeep your ship while fighting the boss below enemy ship deck.

QoL/Balance:
• Cooldown of 30 or 60 minutes to prevent server hopping
• No Discord server alliances: removal of identifications to prevent them
• No full crew replacements where one guy can scout, and then allow 3 other people to take over his brig instantly
• When respawning after PVP, the ship with no or little loot/progress spawns at the maximum distance from the conflict. The ship with the loot spawns much closer, basically a penalty for attacking with no risk/chance for rematch for when you sink with 200k.
• Despawning Meg/Skelly ships leave half the loot

Game is really getting to the point where only PVP encounters are interesting, and the rest is Runescape woodcutting.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
But you have to let the wheel go and fix/bucket, which means that the ship will spin and go off course?
Yes? and? Dont leave the wheel around any rocks and be prepare to get back on course when you return. The holes you get on a sloop are small so you can leave them for a bit if you're not in open water. Just because there is a light challenge to something it doesnt mean its immediately insurmountable

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Hit level 75 in all three OG factions! Got to work on Reaper's now...

And Sea Dogs. shudder

Oct 27, 2017
Yes? and? Dont leave the wheel around any rocks and be prepare to get back on course when you return. The holes you get on a sloop are small so you can leave them for a bit if you're not in open water. Just because there is a light challenge to something it doesnt mean its immediately insurmountable

Bad faith argumentation there, distorting the position from painful (in this context, something that requires more time and attention to the point of being inconvenient and extra taxing) to insurmountable (something that cannot be done, or unlikely to be done). You have built the strawman, and you have beaten it!

You are better off sailing around the storm instead of through it alone. When you are duo or more, it doesn't matter as long as you have several spare planks, and that is what I would call a minor inconvenience.

I will maintain my position that storms and ashen quests are something you want to avoid solo, because there is no upside, unless you want to challenge yourself against the environment conditions.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Reminder about Twitch Drops!

Today you can get the Ori wheel. The first time it's been available.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Reminder about Twitch Drops!

Today you can get the Ori wheel. The first time it's been available.

And very pretty it is too!

ffcea723-6f3e-43a4-8aa6-2ae68e5e3d02.png

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else struggling to unlock today's Twitch Drop? never had a problem in the past but I've been streaming verified streamers for ages and nothing unlocked.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else struggling to unlock today's Twitch Drop? never had a problem in the past but I've been streaming verified streamers for ages and nothing unlocked.

It is delayed, me and my mate haven't gotten the Day 1 drops in the chest yet.

If you are the only one not getting the items - worry.
If multiple people are not getting items - no worry.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It is delayed, me and my mate haven't gotten the Day 1 drops in the chest yet.

If you are the only one not getting the items - worry.
If multiple people are not getting items - no worry.

They also changed how drops work. You have to go to your twitch inventory and manually claim them now.