• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Oh and I also got credit for someone else selling my Chest of Legends, despite never having one to be stolen/sold, so that's neat

Hmm, need to figure out what this glitch is (SuperPac had it too) before the patch it out! I can barely be bothered to get a Chest of Legends these days, never mind having to give it away!

Edit: oh shit, just checked the website and I've totally got that challenge unlocked! Reckon they've just accidentally set it to 'any chest as a pirate legend instead of Chest of Legends specific?

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, need to figure out what this glitch is (SuperPac had it too) before the patch it out! I can barely be bothered to get a Chest of Legends these days, never mind having to give it away!

We did lose one of the varieties of Reaper's Chest, that's the only chest I know for sure we lost in our scuffles, because we used it to track the ship that got us back to reaper's hideout where we recovered the vast majority of our loot, but not that chest or our flag.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
We did lose one of the varieties of Reaper's Chest, that's the only chest I know for sure we lost in our scuffles, because we used it to track the ship that got us back to reaper's hideout where we recovered the vast majority of our loot, but not that chest or our flag.

Check my post edit! Turns out I have the challenge unlocked too! 😅

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I keep chasing people in my sloop yelling "wait, stop, take my treasure and sell it!!" and it's like no one believes me, they all keep running ;)

I don't suppose by some miracle if I leave my treasure at an outpost and someone grabs it and sells it while I am offline, it somehow counts?
it wont. something you can try is popping up the reapers flag, get it leveled a bit (if youre level 1 it wont look like you have anything) and then park at the hideout with the loot clearly on the beach to entice a more unsavory type to investigate and cash in their "earned" loot. theres a pretty decent spot to use the hide emote on the roof to watch for ships coming in.

detail about this i didnt find out till i read the promo email rare sent out about it, you also get the Rat Catcher title when you finish act 1.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Can your ship really do that or was this modded somehow? (Or is that a ghost ship...?)

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I think I've heard that exact audio on another Sea of Thieves video. Is it a meme at this point?

EDIT: I'm not referring to the POTC soundtrack, I mean the dialogue/scream

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
it wont. something you can try is popping up the reapers flag, get it leveled a bit (if youre level 1 it wont look like you have anything) and then park at the hideout with the loot clearly on the beach to entice a more unsavory type to investigate and cash in their "earned" loot. theres a pretty decent spot to use the hide emote on the roof to watch for ships coming in.

Thanks, I'll give that a try... most of the commendations are working well for me, but "Make Friends" and "Chest to Impress" just refuse. Tonight I even got an agreeable pair at Morrow's to hand in 2 chests to the gold hoarder right in front of my eyes, and it did nothing. Do they have to be a certain level of chest to count? Same with Make Friends, it didn't trigger. The other ones like grog and shanty did.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
are they checked off on the site? theres a few i didnt get reward notifications for but wound up being marked completed when i checked after

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Real talk guiz. I love SoT. Absolutely love it.

BUT

Gold skeletons can do one.

They're the most annoying for sure. I am always thankful when one or more spawn with a keg in their hands, that makes the wave a lot easier.

Otherwise, a blunderbomb will take a gold skellie in two hits and a firebomb is a good chunk of health depletion for a group of them. Throwing water on them slows them but even then they're still a pain.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I know all the tactics. They just ain't fun to fight. It's not like the skelly combat is the highlight of the game, but at least the others go down without the irritation (usually).

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I know all the tactics. They just ain't fun to fight. It's not like the skelly combat is the highlight of the game, but at least the others go down without the irritation (usually).

Yeah the water trick isnt nearly powerful enough for how much of a pain in the ass it can be especially if they are up high in the hills or something. If they are gonna be this much of a pain in the ass they could at least be worth some gold when you kill them

You're thinking of this one. Still one of my absolute favorite game clips.

That's the one!

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the water trick isnt nearly powerful enough for how much of a pain in the ass it can be especially if they are up high in the hills or something. If they are gonna be this much of a pain in the ass they could at least be worth some gold when you kill them

Gold Skeletons really should just be the water equivilant of the ghost skeletons. IE, them getting wet opens them up to regular damage (including sword damage). Getting a bucket of water over to them is already annoying enough without having your sword also not do anything at all. Especially when you can only hold five bullets.

I guess flameballs made them easier but still. Rubbish enemies.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Real talk guiz. I love SoT. Absolutely love it.

BUT

Gold skeletons can do one.

Ugh, seriously, too much damage resist. I wonder, is sword lunge or sword spam better against them?

Personally, I try only to do order of souls missions in devils roar. Not only do they pay more, even who-knows-how-many gold skellies later, it is still satisfying to lure clusters of them into steam vents.

Last edited:

Dralos

Oct 26, 2017
Tried arena the last two days but i always end up alone in ship... Or even worse with some racists.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Tried arena the last two days but i always end up alone in ship... Or even worse with some racists.

With the arena commendations for the Summer, I think it will take a bit to work itself out. I've been lucky enough to avoid that (so far), but definitely been with some AFK crew members. Doing a galleon in arena as only 2-3 effective players is not all that fun :(

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
My 7 year old and I just won our first sloop arena, so I'm not sure what your problems are, arena is great
Congrats to you both!

I actually really like Arena. You have the odd frustrating/annoy match but when you have a great one... yeah, it can be really satisfying. It's loads better since they made the big changes to it. Shorter matches and one chest at a time is loads better.

I hate galleon Arena though. All about nippy sloops for me.

Dralos

Oct 26, 2017
Congrats to you both!

I actually really like Arena. You have the odd frustrating/annoy match but when you have a great one... yeah, it can be really satisfying. It's loads better since they made the big changes to it. Shorter matches and one chest at a time is loads better.

I hate galleon Arena though. All about nippy sloops for me.
im new to the game. what did they change?

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just need to get Merchants to 50 to hit Pirate Legend. Whee.

Not just you. We killed shadow maw with sword and pistol after he basically attached his face to the back of our ship and pushed us around for ages recently

Well, the QOL patch on Wednesday supposedly fixed the issues with Meg getting stuck on rocks/boats/islands, but the issue that I've seen since Wednesday is that the music queues aren't always working, there are instances where Meg swims super far away from the boat now, and there have been instances where they just swim close to the boat then instantly turn and bite out of nowhere.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Yeah the Meg has been acting strange. Just today we were fighting a galleon crew that was stopped, sails up not far off the southern end of wanderers refuge and the Meg charged them.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Also, it might not be new, but I think there is a new uncharted island sorts west of dagger tooth? I dont remember encountering it before. It is not the one from shroud breaker, that one was further south I think

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Also, it might not be new, but I think there is a new uncharted island sorts west of dagger tooth? I dont remember encountering it before. It is not the one from shroud breaker, that one was further south I think

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's not new - it's been there a long time, perhaps from the beginning. I believe it's like 3 small islands with a shipwreck in the center, right? I believe some tall tales use that island. It also gets rowboat, crate, and mermaid statue spawns which can be nice if you're setting out heading west from Dagger Tooth.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever someone other than me and my friend play, things go to shit. Like we're great on a sloop together. One/two of our other friends plays and we have to do double duty on a big ass ship. Which sucks but is doable unless an enemy ship tries to fuck with us then it's impossible. Sometimes the other two actually do. more harm than if they just sat doing nothing. Frustrating as hell lol.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I am having a really hard time getting voice chat to work in game on PC. Does using Discord or Xbox Party Chat somehow interfere with the ability to talk in game? It really sucks, because I want to be social with other people, but typing to do so isn't ideal.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Whenever someone other than me and my friend play, things go to shit. Like we're great on a sloop together. One/two of our other friends plays and we have to do double duty on a big ass ship. Which sucks but is doable unless an enemy ship tries to fuck with us then it's impossible. Sometimes the other two actually do. more harm than if they just sat doing nothing. Frustrating as hell lol.

In an experienced team of 4, the galleon can be easier because most people who've played SoT for a long time know what it takes to sail that ship successfully. Roles can become blurred and things can "just work" if everyone's aware of the sounds the ship makes when it's taking on water, or when someone's about to board, or know that the captain/sails takes more than 1 person to quickly operate.

When working with newer players or those inexperienced on the galleon, you definitely do have to set roles and be specific for what you need from people. On the sloop or even the brigantine a lot of ship functions can be done by 1 person. But this doesn't work on the galleon. It can be fun to sorta hide barking orders to your team behind role-playing and (if you're captaining) tossing out affirmation and compliments when things are going well. Even just in navigating I usually need the other 3 players to at least acknowledge when I ask them to raise the front/middle sail, angle sail, or harpoon barrels of plenty. If you can't get at least that, then it'll be harder to get them to watch ladders for boarders, catch masts when they're downed, listen for the ship taking on water, or scan the horizon for other boats.

Players who've only been on sloops will often stand idle on a galleon and that can really put your team at a LARGE disadvantage in combat situations. Maybe they're used to galleons being a powerful ship but a sloop with chainshot and decent accuracy can wreck you in no time at all if the crew isn't coordinated or if there is no one leading.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Players who've only been on sloops will often stand idle on a galleon and that can really put your team at a LARGE disadvantage in combat situations. Maybe they're used to galleons being a powerful ship but a sloop with chainshot and decent accuracy can wreck you in no time at all if the crew isn't coordinated or if there is no one leading.

No they're just not very good at games. It's not a solvable problem unfortunately :(. Like when I've had to explain how sails work several times and it still hasn't sunk in... welp.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Yeah I've played with some friends who just don't do... much. You tell them and still... They'll be watching and waiting rather than preparing, tweaking, taking the initiative. I think a lot of people who are new or who don't play much don't get how much action you need to take to be properly effective: sail management is the most obvious example of this.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've played with some friends who just don't do... much. You tell them and still... They'll be watching and waiting rather than preparing, tweaking, taking the initiative. I think a lot of people who are new or who don't play much don't get how much action you need to take to be properly effective: sail management is the most obvious example of this.

This has been most obvious with my 19yo, who plays tons of games, but still hasn't adjusted to knowing just how alert and aware you have to be at all times.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
For the "Deliver 10 shark meat portions to the Hunter's Call":

• Does it have to be in a single session?
  • Since 1 shark meat is 2 bites (portions?) does that mean you only need to turn in 5 whole shark meat? Or you need 10 whole shark meat?
The other one-off ones were straightforward enough. And I sailed around forever looking for a Meg, and got nothing... I swear they are all over me when I'm not interested in them at all, and now that I want to get them... no where to be seen ;)

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
For the "Deliver 10 shark meat portions to the Hunter's Call":

• Does it have to be in a single session?
  • Since 1 shark meat is 2 bites (portions?) does that mean you only need to turn in 5 whole shark meat? Or you need 10 whole shark meat?
The other one-off ones were straightforward enough. And I sailed around forever looking for a Meg, and got nothing... I swear they are all over me when I'm not interested in them at all, and now that I want to get them... no where to be seen ;)

Well, you can't sell half-eaten fish, so it'll only count whole pieces. And no it doesn't need to be in a single session. Check the Events Hub on the web site to see your total progress.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Had a crazy night last night, and maybe one of the slickest maneuvers I've done in any game.

Me and a friend start in a sloop reapering. We come across another sloop fairly quickly, take down it's mast and I board it killing the occupants while they yell something about an alliance. I don't pay much heed to what they're saying, but stay on the ship to make sure it sinks. Turns out this ship was going to ally with a Brig, and it happens to pull up right next to the Brig who still thinks it's a friend. I fire into the Brig from the commandeered ship and it starts to take some big damage, and I hear a lot of confusion on their side. They think the people they were going to ally with betrayed them, perfect! I board the ship with the intent to kill, but they don't notice me and they have NOTHING so I decide to let them live. So I just start playing an instrument as they sink their former ally's ship.

At this point they think I'm the ally, so I just hanging around but they're being cautious of me. Eventually I tell them what we did, and we're just some randoms who broke up their alliance. They were so confused, but we tell them they have no loot and we'll be back when they do.

We go off reapering, and later we notice a fort is lit up. They were doing the lantern quest, and we head there with the intent to kill them. We happen to get boarded by one of them, he causes a bit of fire, apologizes when he sees us then asks if we want to join the alliance to do the fort. We ally, clear the fort, get a ton of treasure. There's a slight mishap when I hear "Hey be careful wit...*BOOM* *BOOM*" they accidentally blow up their ship with two nukes. Our ship takes a bit of damage but survives, so now we have to load 5 people an all the treasure on a single sloop. We eventually make it to Reapers and cash in 200k.

A good night and a great story.

tldr: Broke up an alliance by a taking over a ship without the other ship knowing and attacking them with that ship. Later befriended them and made lots of money.

Last edited:

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone give me a rundown of what the Bilge Rats are for? I'm always confused on what the purpose of their voyages are and haven't bought any cause it seems like a waste to use doubloons on. And TBH I don't even know how I've gotten most of my doubloons outside of commendations and the occasional ritual skull, they just kinda appear.

Also me and my crew have mostly just been doing voyages when we want to chill, or gone after the Flameheart ghost ships whenever the event is up, and we recently discovered how much more lucrative Devil's Roar voyage runs are than the other regions. But I'm not sure is there's something specific we should be doing to rank up faster, it's been pretty slow getting our ranks up.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
The Bilge Rats are the "trading company" for whatever the new content is. Duke points you towards whats new with his dialogue, commendations for new content are usually tied to their rep page, and depending on the content they might offer voyages that month (during the month the ghost ships were new you could always get a free lowlevel ghost ship voyage from Duke even if you werent leveled up enough in the OoS to buy them properly). They also run a black market shop that can contain instant rank ups in most trading companies, time limited cosmetics, cosmetics tied to the new content, cosmetics meant as a goldsink (if you buy them the month theyre new theyre cheaper than when they go into the archive) and on demand voyages. You might have an ashen key at the end of a voyage but no chest or vice versa so you can buy a voyage from duke to dig one up at the outpost if you're looking for a tome that might be inside. The on demand ritual skull is for players whose entire intention is to do FotD that session and want to start one up asap, like the ashen key/chest using the voyage will spawn one at the outpost you're on to dig up.