• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Since I'm going to be watching streams to get this loot, is there anyone people recommend watching that are partnered? Would love to actually learn more about playing well.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Today's Twitch Drop is the Spartan Hull

9430d2a3-7667-421c-9d60-2dfe77ab7695.png

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Has the volcano on Morrow's Peak Outpost always erupted? I've been there, I don't know how many times, but a lot, and it has never erupted. I just assumed it was a "cosmetic" volcano and the outpost was an eruption free zone. But this morning it erupted while I was unloading loot, lighting my ship ablaze and putting lava all over the ground. I wasn't sure if this was new behaivour, or if I was just very lucky all of the other times.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Has the volcano on Morrow's Peak Outpost always erupted? I've been there, I don't know how many times, but a lot, and it has never erupted. I just assumed it was a "cosmetic" volcano and the outpost was an eruption free zone. But this morning it erupted while I was unloading loot, lighting my ship ablaze and putting lava all over the ground. I wasn't sure if this was new behaivour, or if I was just very lucky all of the other times.

It has always had a chance to erupt, but it does not erupt as often as other islands.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Glad I remembered those.

Missed the whole set the first time so I'm glad they're bringing 'em back now.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Another first for me, we were being chased by another sloop, and didn't seem I could outrun them. I'm pretty sure it was the same sloop I had tangled with a short time earlier and they were flying a Reaper at that point; no flag this time, but a battle all the same. Since I couldn't outrun them I turned and we engaged. I'm not very good at PvP stuff, but I thought we gave a decent showing... if only I could aim better ;). Anyway, it was a bit of a prolonged battle, lots of back and forth, and repelled boarders a few times. Then, I hear the Skeleton Ship music/horn thing. This could either help us or hurt us depending on where it rises, maybe we'll get lucky and they'll take a few shots at our enemy sloop. I'm looking left and right, "where is this ship?!", I don't see it anywhere. Suddenly there is a huge crash and our bow is pointing up to the sky; the Skeletons have rose up directly underneath our ship! I've never had that happen before, and I even hear the enemy captain exclaim "oh my god", I guess he has never seen it before either :)

We took serious damage from the Skeleton ship doing that, and the enemy sloop takes advantage to get in several more hits and send a boarder on to us; at this stage we are pretty much a collision of 3 ships, crashing sides into each other, and it's chaos. I happened to have a stack of firebombs in my hands, and even I can't miss at this range, so I toss them all on to the enemy ship, spreading fire everywhere hoping to buy some time. The ships separate, and the Skeleton ship takes a shot or two at the enemy vessel. We are baling out water like mad, if there was somewhere our ship could have a hole in it, be assured it was there. I run to the wheel and straighten our course and lower our sails, I think we managed one, perhaps two at most additional canon shots at the other sloop, and then back to repairing. The water was up to the map table, I was certain this was our end, but somehow we finished repairs and remained afloat.

I turned back around as quickly as I could to re-engage, but the seas were clear; neither the Skeleton ship nor our original foe were anywhere to be seen. I don't know what the outcome of the battle was, did they sink? Did they manage to retreat and repair? I guess I'll never know... I wish I had a screenshot or something to know what their gamertags were and could send them a message. Who knows, perhaps I will run into them again some day and can ask them over some grog at the tavern ;)

Five Venoms

Oct 27, 2017
I fell off this pretty hard about a month ago (could never find a crew), but since I built a PC and all that, figured I owed myself a shot to see if I could still hang.

Long story short, I ran a quick solo Gold Hoarders run through Ancient Isles and picked up....like a Seafarers Chest or something equally useless and the next stop took me past Sanctuary so instead of raising sails I just hopped on the shore with my....200 gold payday or whatever it was, and let my ship autopilot off into the sea. I hop over to the Hoarders tent and sell the chest, but something goes off in the back of my head. I know nobody is docked there, but sure enough a half second later some guy jumps out and shoots me full blast. And I just couldn't stop laughing. How long has this pirate been camping here? And they didn't even get my sad payout, or really any satisfaction. I on the other hand was back on my ship yelling at skeletons a minute later. What a great game, I really need to get back into it.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
I fell off this pretty hard about a month ago (could never find a crew), but since I built a PC and all that, figured I owed myself a shot to see if I could still hang.

Long story short, I ran a quick solo Gold Hoarders run through Ancient Isles and picked up....like a Seafarers Chest or something equally useless and the next stop took me past Sanctuary so instead of raising sails I just hopped on the shore with my....200 gold payday or whatever it was, and let my ship autopilot off into the sea. I hop over to the Hoarders tent and sell the chest, but something goes off in the back of my head. I know nobody is docked there, but sure enough a half second later some guy jumps out and shoots me full blast. And I just couldn't stop laughing. How long has this pirate been camping here? And they didn't even get my sad payout, or really any satisfaction. I on the other hand was back on my ship yelling at skeletons a minute later. What a great game, I really need to get back into it.

If that happened this morning (and he was successful), somewhat ironically you would have even gotten a bonus as today's daily bounty is to let someone from another crew turn in a chest for you ;)

I as well have had troubles getting crew together, however something I'm starting to get into is one of the streamers communities. If you check out PhuzzyBond on Twitch and YouTube, he is a really positive player, and fosters his community to be like that as well. He has a Discord set up for his 5000+ community (who do seem to be similarly positive), and has built some tools into Discord to easily find crews and get out there on the seas. Everyone on the Discord signed up to be part of his community and play together, so you can get some pretty good results when looking for people. Definitly much better results than just sailing with an open crew ;)

Five Venoms

Oct 27, 2017
Actually that may be worth a shot, I like Phuzzy quite a bit-learned a fair amount from his YT videos when I started out. Thanks!

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If you are using the voice chat of xbox live with your party, can you hear what others are talking in the game?

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
A pretty valuable strategy when you're being chased: load up on chainshots/anchorballs, pass by a fort, jump on it and let your ship sail away (or ask for someone from your crew to steer, if you're not solo.) Use the cannons on the fort towers to fire at the enemy ship. I got away from more pursuers than I can count doing that!

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I did. I was surprised, I think the ashen lords are a full server event. Flame Tornado popped up in front of us on an island after the kraken that attacked our pursuer despawned (and then our pursuer decided to try the new event instead of chasing us down, so that was nice). There was nothing else in the sky until after the flame tornado disappeared. For some reason I was thinking these dudes were a little more encounterable on random islands like ashen guardians or random captains.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Yeah the SoT streamers who go to the Ashen Lord event always run into MULTIPLE crews and it is exceedingly spicy sometimes with multiple crews around and usually several trying to tuck on the islands. I have not seen the game this spicy in a long while. Sure the FOTD is usually pretty spicy but this is even on another level.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, we were in a sloop fully loaded with the treasure that got us to grade 5 emissary, and our pursuers that stopped were a galleon, and we were still pretty tempted to try our luck. Thought about hiding our ship on the far side of a nearby island and rowboating over pretty hard, but it was late-ish and we were just so loaded with treasure that we chose caution.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I recently discovery that plugging my S9 into my TV allows me to play Sea of Thieves via xCloud

It looks great but is a valid beginners guide? I am very lost.

I tried to look on Youtube for 2020 but that video said I should be starting in a town with beginner quests to get you started. I did the maiden voyage but anytime I log in I just end up on a ship with people aimlessly travelling the sea.

I've become quite adapt with repairs and bailing water, but is there an actual story to this game?

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I recently discovery that plugging my S9 into my TV allows me to play Sea of Thieves via xCloud

I tried to look on Youtube for 2020 but that video said I should be starting in a town with beginner quests to get you started. I did the maiden voyage but anytime I log in I just end up on a ship with people aimlessly travelling the sea.

I've become quite adapt with repairs and bailing water, but is there an actual story to this game?

You're joining Open Crews, which means you're getting matched with people already playing.

To begin with, start a Closed Crew and pick the Sloop. You'll be alone, have your own boat, but you'll also be at one of the starting island (known as Outposts).

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Worth noting that by "alone", Robin just means you won't have crewmates. You'll still be on the seas with other players who may choose to try to steal your booty! Even in those beginner quests. The only mode of play where you are completely safe from other players is that maiden voyage you did.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

Microsoft published a new player's guide when the game launched on Steam. It goes over anything you might need to know. And yes, there is an actual story to the game, but the real fun is just getting out there and forging your own adventure and seeing what's out there.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the help, this game really doesn't hold your hand lol

Took the first lowly voyage to deliver cargo to Kraken island, got used to sailing the ship alone and stopped near the shore..got hammered by canon balls..went out of range and repaired. Walked onto the island at night to figure out where I had to go..ound the person and realized I have no map or ability to set a waypoint..and was killed by behind by a skeleton with an explosive barrel lol.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Me and Dogs killed a Flame Tornado boss. It was quite a task, but I liked the phases/mechanics. Bit too grindy but we were 2 manning a Brig, so maybe that's why.

Then a kraken and meg sank us as we escaped. Hahahahaha.

Then we recovered the Skull! YES!

Then we sold it for 4.5k

ahahahahaa

This game man. It's so giving and then sometimes it just takes, and yet, and yet, I adore it so.

IMG_2369.jpg

*UK-specific 90s reference, sorry.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
The special event is live! Runs from August 4th to August 25th.

There are some tasks to perform, with each one giving gold and doubloons, but doing them all gets you this:

604af2bb-9977-43a7-899d-876ad7050112.jpg

• Visit Shipwreck Bay and find the wreck of the Blackwyche.
  • Visit Snake Island and find the painting of three mighty toads.
  • Visit Plunder Valley and find a depiction of a famous bear and bird.
  • Visit Thieves' Haven and seek out the colorful animals at the top.
  • Sail through a storm with all your lanterns off for a perfectly dark moment.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Is it possible to stop the sloop by raising the sail?

Yeah, it will come to a stop. It might drift further than you expect, but it will stop.

What I tend to do is anchor for an immediate stop, raise the sail, then raise the anchor again for a quick getaway when I get back to the ship. Unless there's a storm, then I leave the anchor down.

Oct 27, 2017
Is the drifting
Yeah, it will come to a stop. It might drift further than you expect, but it will stop.

What I tend to do is anchor for an immediate stop, raise the sail, then raise the anchor again for a quick getaway when I get back to the ship. Unless there's a storm, then I leave the anchor down.

Was there some kind of update? I remember at the start of the year, we used to put all the Galleon sails up and it kind of stopped quickly. Playing with the sloop now, so it could be a ship difference too.

If there was a nerf to sails-up parking, then I am glad it happened, because it was too effective.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Bought this on D1, dropped it after about a month. Recently convinced some of my Destiny clan to sail nightly with me. Been doing Tall Tales and grinding Ashen Lords. Really feels like there is an abundance of stuff to do now.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
one of these days i'll finally get that "Defeat flameheart with an alliance" commendation. Every time I talk another crew into it, they get Grade 1 on the sinking ghost ships in an alliance one, assume thats what I meant and end the alliance to try and keep the loot for themselves. I guess the silver lining is im slowly getting that one filled out lol

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Has Sea of Thieves ever gone on sale? I finally got some friends interested but they don't wanna put down more than $30 on it for personal financial reasons, and I don't think I've seen it go on sale much on the Windows store (and I'm pretty sure it wasn't on sale over the Steam summer sale either).

Been getting the itch again but that means solo slooping, and I'm still really bad at managing a ship all on my own if I get attacked.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Two more Twitch drops this weekend. Watching on Saturday will get you the "Bear and Bird (Legacy) Figurehead" and Sunday will get you the "Spinal Figurehead".

Note, this is NOT the figurehead from the Bear and Bird set, this is an older one from before that set came out.

Twitch_Drops.jpg

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Has Sea of Thieves ever gone on sale? I finally got some friends interested but they don't wanna put down more than $30 on it for personal financial reasons, and I don't think I've seen it go on sale much on the Windows store (and I'm pretty sure it wasn't on sale over the Steam summer sale either).

Been getting the itch again but that means solo slooping, and I'm still really bad at managing a ship all on my own if I get attacked.

IsThereAnyDeal says it has been 50% off previously, but I cant think of recent sales.

How long do your friends think they would play? You could get $30 worth of GamePass for PC and play it from there.