• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao so we saw a reaper grade 4 around crescent isle when all of a sudden... it disappears from the map. However the reaper chest they had on was seemingly still there and appeared to have been moved.

We go to investigate and find no one on the island... hmmm. I know there is a cave on crescent so I check there. I find a full ass storage crate. I turn around and there is a ROWBOAT CHOCK FULL OF LOOT SITTING IN THE CAVE

We kill the dude and take all the loot including the grade 4 flag.

As we got everything loaded we notice a brig coming our way. One of our dudes loads a mega keg onto it and rows their way. I didn't think he made it but he did and mega keg that. We roll up on their broken ass boat and finish the job. They started calling the dude who mega them a no skill retard.

You love to see it

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
Had a ~5h long session yesterday. We decided we'd do Reaper's emissary, and proceeded to sink a galley who had just finished doing a fort. They hadn't even opened the vault yet, so we got the key and got out of there, as we were being chased by other ships. Consequences of being a reaper and all.

The chase was... long. So much so we got sunk at one point and another crew had gotten a hold of the key (so this key had already been in posession of three crews!)

At one moment, the crew with the key hit into an outpost and we sunk them. One of the guys hid on the outpost with the key... The thing is, he didn't hid the key in the same place as he was! So he kept trash talking us from wherever he was while we were getting our key back and sailing away. lol

After that, the seas seemed to be calm... It was finally time to get back to the fort and open the vault and--

The server merges.

The key disappears in the process.

Lmao so we saw a reaper grade 4 around crescent isle when all of a sudden... it disappears from the map. However the reaper chest they had on was seemingly still there and appeared to have been moved.

We go to investigate and find no one on the island... hmmm. I know there is a cave on crescent so I check there. I find a full ass storage crate. I turn around and there is a ROWBOAT CHOCK FULL OF LOOT SITTING IN THE CAVE

We kill the dude and take all the loot including the grade 4 flag.

As we got everything loaded we notice a brig coming our way. One of our dudes loads a mega keg onto it and rows their way. I didn't think he made it but he did and mega keg that. We roll up on their broken ass boat and finish the job. They started calling the dude who mega them a no skill retard.

You love to see it

That was amazing. It feels like with this update, every ship you come across has loads of treasure.

Last edited:

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
server merge not pausing the chest of sorrows when you cant do anything just long enough for the ship to sink is bs

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
It's insane how powerful those chests are. Sloop getting hit from both sides by galleons? Meh, we'll be fine. Crying chest? RED ALERT, all hands on bail duty!

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's insane how powerful those chests are. Sloop getting hit from both sides by galleons? Meh, we'll be fine. Crying chest? RED ALERT, all hands on bail duty!
They need to up their payout significantly. Despite them being more valuable than Captains chest we always ignore them because they are more trouble than they are worth. MAYBE we will pick it up if its like our last island on the voyage and we're going to the outpost. With the emissary system rewarding hoarding loot till grade 5 it becomes an issue. Maybe if there was a way to stop it from crying...like how you can stop the rage chest from exploding.... it might be worth it.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
They need to up their payout significantly. Despite them being more valuable than Captains chest we always ignore them because they are more trouble than they are worth. MAYBE we will pick it up if its like our last island on the voyage and we're going to the outpost. With the emissary system rewarding hoarding loot till grade 5 it becomes an issue. Maybe if there was a way to stop it from crying...like how you can stop the rage chest from exploding.... it might be worth it.

I always pick them up, but I always swing by an outpost immediately after and kick someone off to sell it and mermaid back. If we run into literally any trouble on the way, chest goes overboard immediately... unless it's skelly trouble, in which case someone tries to get the chest on their ship, and if they fail to get onboard, then it just gets abandoned to the sea

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
your first mistake was bringing it on your boat tbh
Im fine with taking on the risk if we're about to cash in & we're an island away from the outpost but you cant even go "well we'll throw it overboard if something happens" when the thing that happens is "you literally cant do anything for 30 seconds cus weedlordvegeta69 halfway across the map stopped playing for the night"

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

They did up the value a while back - it is now 3000-3500 gold. If you add an emissary multiplier on top of that then it could be worth picking up.

I wish they hadn't fixed the bug that allowed you to load it onto a rowboat safely. Funny how some bugs in this game have remained for months/years and this one trick for safely transporting a chest of sorrow gets fixed and stays fixed. :'(

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
They did up the value a while back - it is now 3000-3500 gold. If you add an emissary multiplier on top of that then it could be worth picking up.

I wish they hadn't fixed the bug that allowed you to load it onto a rowboat safely. Funny how some bugs in this game have remained for months/years and this one trick for safely transporting a chest of sorrow gets fixed and stays fixed. :'(
there was another trick that was in the game for ages where with some tricky input timing, you could get the chest on your back while you were on the wheel (or sails etc) preventing it from filling up the boat, which was useful if you were soloing. It got fixed quickly when people realized doing that with the reapers chest would freeze the map icon in the spot you did the trick at allowing you to hold onto one unhindered

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this game any fun solo? Getting a One X soon and wondering if there's much to do without a group :)

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this game any fun solo? Getting a One X soon and wondering if there's much to do without a group :)
If you like a big challenge and a tense experience as your definition of fun, sure.

The game is built to be played with a crew. But still doable solo. Luck of the draw if you get an aggressive lobby or not. They are putting in Tall Tale Checkpoints this month so I think it would be worth trying to do some of those.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Since there's no way my regular crew and I are going to lose the top Gold Hoarder emissary rank at this point we moved on to working our way up the Reaper's Bones ladder.

Tonight we grabbed a Reaper's Bounty chest, cashed it in at the beginning of the voyage (as it was pretty close to the Hideout), then went over to the active skull fort (Crow's Nest). Right as we parked up, a brigantine came around the rocks north of the fort. So we sailed out and engaged them. One of their crew tried to board a few times but failed to get on our sloop any further than the ladder. They kept putting their sails up to turn, but all it did was put us nicely in their blind spot in terms of cannon shots. I put enough holes into them that they began to run, but beached themselves on Mutineer Rock. Unfortunately no emissary flag - they were just sailing with black sails, no figurehead.

We supplied back up at Devil's Ridge and did an emergent captain map, bagging us a Mega Keg. Back to the fort we went!

After a few minutes, a sloop running Reaper's Bones Grade I started heading our way. Time to use the Mega Keg! I hopped off our boat with it and lined it up so I could board them. The solo sloop did a drive-by and the single pirate jumped off their own ship as I boarded it with the keg. I lit the Mega on their top deck and went to the back of the boat. Unfortunately when it exploded it splash damaged our own ship. I flew into the water and looked for the swimmer. They were able to get a shot in and killed me as I was weakened from the explosion. The pirate attempted to board our boat but my teammate sliced him up with the cutlass. My buddy barely saved our vessel with last-second repairs and buckets. We retrieved the other ship's flag, did the fort, cashed in - about 140k in gold at the Reaper's Hideout with the Grade V multiplier (2.5x).

I'd highly recommend getting at least one other person to try it with you. It really shines when you are able to divide up the various tasks on the boat and in maps amongst one other person. Plus it helps to have another pair of eyes watching the horizon for other player ships.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Are these the kind of rewards that end up in the black market archive eventually? Not sure I wanna play that much arena or watch twitch for the other stuff

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Are these the kind of rewards that end up in the black market archive eventually? Not sure I wanna play that much arena or watch twitch for the other stuff

I don't think any of these sorts of event cosmetics have been in the black market yet for purchase with in-game currency. But they have given away the Obsidian hull/sails/flag/figurehead before. I will definitely be playing more Arena in the next few weeks.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So there's something of a cheap tactic in Arena where if you scuttle your ship you respawn with MORE supplies than you do at initial spawn.

I dunno if that is intended to give you a fighting chance if you normally sink and it was missed... or if its intended because if you choose scuttle you get a delayed start???

Either way KingGothalian basically rage quit because he refused to do it. He's been a known man baby tho.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like an exploit to me, so refusing to do it seems like the right call? (I say this with zero context or knowledge of this person's man baby status tho)

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
So there's something of a cheap tactic in Arena where if you scuttle your ship you respawn with MORE supplies than you do at initial spawn.

I dunno if that is intended to give you a fighting chance if you normally sink and it was missed... or if its intended because if you choose scuttle you get a delayed start???

Either way KingGothalian basically rage quit because he refused to do it. He's been a known man baby tho.

Does the boat spawn with more supplies in the barrels, or are they just getting full pockets plus a fresh boat with same supplies it spawned with?

Trading scuttle/respawn time for full pockets across crew seems like a fair trade. Should probably just start everyone with full pockets instead though

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does the boat spawn with more supplies in the barrels, or are they just getting full pockets plus a fresh boat with same supplies it spawned with?

Trading scuttle/respawn time for full pockets across crew seems like a fair trade. Should probably just start everyone with full pockets instead though
That I don't know. But it pace's crew made it so effective that every other team started doing it. Goth was getting dumpstered anyway so he threw up his hands, called bullshit, and just quit.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
That I don't know. But it pace's crew made it so effective that every other team started doing it. Goth was getting dumpstered anyway so he threw up his hands, called bullshit, and just quit.

AshBacon was experiencing some serious problems in her game with cannons, bucketing, almost everything. That definitely didn't help that crew's situation. But since they weren't scuttling they ran out of supplies quickly.

Wonder if they could just turn off scuttling in Arena. It's a pretty smart tactic. Though I do hope for the next rounds of this tourney they ban crews from self-scuttling.

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
AshBacon was experiencing some serious problems in her game with cannons, bucketing, almost everything. That definitely didn't help that crew's situation. But since they weren't scuttling they ran out of supplies quickly.

Wonder if they could just turn off scuttling in Arena. It's a pretty smart tactic. Though I do hope for the next rounds of this tourney they ban crews from self-scuttling.
Is this just a galleon thing? I think in my past 25 Arena matches we never ran out of supplies once, or got sunk. At least on sloop the supplies are generous enough to last a full match. The bigger problem is the 10 minute "reconnect" window with people farming empty AFK ships for free points

A scuttle at the beginning puts you behind. Even a 5 second delay can make a huge difference at the start. Not sure if it's worth the extra supplies unless you're a very competent crew to make up for the setback; in which case you wouldn't need extra supplies from a scuttle since you'll probably win anyways

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Wonder if they could just turn off scuttling in Arena.
Ive had crews in the old arena deliberately bucket and repair our sinking ship so they could keep spawn killing us (and i imagine this still happens in arena 2.0 since the new rules are lopsided towards people who farm cannon hits on ships). Id rather not have the mechanics help encourage that kind of behavior especially since in arena 2.0 quitting gets penalized

id rather they tune it so if you scuttle you come back with less supplies than you would if you were sunk. Scuttling in arena should be a last resort

The obsidian gear has consistently been their incentive to watch streams since launch, so i wouldnt count on them being in the black market.

Last edited:

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Alright more experienced pirates, can you help me figure out how I got owned last night?

We were on Smuggler's Bay with a Galleon, way up in the north of Shores of Plenty. I was off ship, digging up a buried treasure, when I get word a gunpowder barrel just blew up on our ship. It was not an accident with one of ours, it was an infiltrator. Okay, it happens, I understand that part. Investigation after the fact revealed a couple of things:

• There was a rowboat offshore of the island, a moderate distance away and off the rear of our ship. I suspect this may have been his attack vector, unless he had been stowed away aboard our ship.
  • There was ANOTHER rowboat on the far side of the island. This MAY have been our rowboat, if it survived the explosion. It had a harpoon like ours, but also seemed to have supplies in the chest, while I'm 90% sure ours was empty. I do not think this was involved, I think it was just spawned on the island.
  • Our return was swift, as we spawned on an island from which we could already see Smuggler's Bay. As far as we could see, no ship left the island as we approached.
  • A new player in our crew got the achievement for another crew selling his loot, so the dude got off the island and sold it somehow. We only saw one player ever, but it is possible he had crew members.

So the things I'm wondering are as follows:
  • One of my crewmembers worries that the rowboat docked to the back of our galleon was a vulnerability, and the dude somehow could get into our ship that way rather than the ladders. Is this a thing? Would it be quieter/harder to detect than ladder climbing? I know our shipboard crew wasn't super alert on watch, this lesson will help them learn to be more aware :)
  • IF there was no ship, what's the likeliest way he got the loot to an island to sell? Would our rowboat have survived the sinking potentially and he rowed it all the way to an outpost, rightfully assuming we wouldn't spot that fleeing as we approached?
  • IF he had a ship hidden around the island, or with a crew member nearby, is there some crafty way they may have sailed away undetected? Smuggler's Bay is on the edge of the map basically so it didn't seem possible to me...

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
Alright more experienced pirates, can you help me figure out how I got owned last night?

We were on Smuggler's Bay with a Galleon, way up in the north of Shores of Plenty. I was off ship, digging up a buried treasure, when I get word a gunpowder barrel just blew up on our ship. It was not an accident with one of ours, it was an infiltrator. Okay, it happens, I understand that part. Investigation after the fact revealed a couple of things:

• There was a rowboat offshore of the island, a moderate distance away and off the rear of our ship. I suspect this may have been his attack vector, unless he had been stowed away aboard our ship.
  • There was ANOTHER rowboat on the far side of the island. This MAY have been our rowboat, if it survived the explosion. It had a harpoon like ours, but also seemed to have supplies in the chest, while I'm 90% sure ours was empty. I do not think this was involved, I think it was just spawned on the island.
  • Our return was swift, as we spawned on an island from which we could already see Smuggler's Bay. As far as we could see, no ship left the island as we approached.
  • A new player in our crew got the achievement for another crew selling his loot, so the dude got off the island and sold it somehow. We only saw one player ever, but it is possible he had crew members.

• One of my crewmembers worries that the rowboat docked to the back of our galleon was a vulnerability, and the dude somehow could get into our ship that way rather than the ladders. Is this a thing? Would it be quieter/harder to detect than ladder climbing? I know our shipboard crew wasn't super alert on watch, this lesson will help them learn to be more aware :)
  • IF there was no ship, what's the likeliest way he got the loot to an island to sell? Would our rowboat have survived the sinking potentially and he rowed it all the way to an outpost, rightfully assuming we wouldn't spot that fleeing as we approached?
  • IF he had a ship hidden around the island, or with a crew member nearby, is there some crafty way they may have sailed away undetected? Smuggler's Bay is on the edge of the map basically so it didn't seem possible to me...
You can totally dock a rowboat on someone else's ship. But it makes noise. And you can't dock if the boat already has a rowboat attached

Rowboats spawn with a bunch of resources on them. A rowboat on the shore with supplies is most likely a random spawn. When you sink with a rowboat attached, the rowboat immediately detaches and will be located in the spot your big boat sunk

It's incredibly hard to see a rowboat at a distance. Easy to lose sight of, hard to spot unless you're looking in the perfect spot. Even with loot and the glint they are easy to miss

When a player is near/on a rowboat, no mermaid spawns. So if you never saw a mermaid at the island (assuming you checked), and never saw a boat leave, he most likely used a rowboat to attack/flee

You don't need to be onboard to gunpowder someone. If they saw your crew guarding the ladders, it's often smarter to drop it under the boat and board after/during the explosion when everyone is distracted. Then murder the people fixing the holes. And dance as it sinks

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Where did you park your Galleon? The back side (north) of Smugglers Bay is massive and can easily hide a ship. The outpost isn't too far.

Def possible he rowed it. Rowboats are very tough to spot in the open water.

No way to board via rowboat unless you get a VERY lucky cannon shot. the biggest danger of a rowboat is having a stoway that can put your loot on it and shove off. But thats rare.

You got bamboozled pretty good.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks fellas, I think the most likely theory is that the rowboat I saw abandoned on open water was his, then he got to our ship with a gunpowder, and rowed off with OUR rowboat full of our loot then. I did see his mermaid AFTER the explosion/during the battle with him (I got back to the ship empty of ammo, and he had used up all his fighting my crew, but he/skellies got me as we sword fought on the beach.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
We got bamboozled by a rowboat. We saw a Reaper parked at Cannon Cove. We sailed by.

Moments later keg exploded on us, rowboat boarders!

Fuckers.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
i feel like i dont understand the sword anymore. twice yesterday mid swordfight, it tinked off the other pirate like they were blocking but their sword wasnt held up

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Phewwwww

First session in a while today (couple of friends picked it up and I headed on to show 'em the ropes). Did a few voyages, musta fought like 8+ Skeleton ships, only sank a few. Still ended up with a fair bit of loot on the ship, including 2 drunken chests, about 6 captain's, god only knows how many skulls and gems. Finally, as we're sitting there, final voyage done, only then do we see a player ship... flying a Reaper flag. I freak out, they have no idea what's going on, but we get moving to the outpost. I keep peeping on the thing nervously - it's matching our course... and there's another ship at the outpost! Ah damn.

But we got lucky. I think the Reapers decided we weren't worth much 'cause no faction flag, and the ship at the outpost saw the two of us coming and ran. We docked (to use the term loosely... you know how it goes, running ashore is *like* docking when you're new), got the loot onto a rowboat and booked it. Reapers never really left, but they were off in the distance so I guess they were probably busy with something else.

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
What cutlass is the blue glowing saber (Summit currently using) and how is it unlocked?

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
What cutlass is the blue glowing saber (Summit currently using) and how is it unlocked?

Is it this one?

Sword_of_Souls_1.png

If so, it's unlocked by completing the Seabound Soul Tall Tale.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Pick the chest up and go on the ladder and ot won't fill your ship. Not idealwhen you are fighting and stuff like that but if you are just sailing at that moment it's an easy way to deal with it.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Engaged with the fort of the damned last night for the first time. Was on a sloop but my crewmate had to log off. Saw that it was up and decided to swing by to see if I could sneak off with someone else's treasure. No ships there when I arrived, but some of the pink skeletons. Optimistically went ashore to see if I could grab a pink flame somewhere still, and yep, I could. The boss was present, but no other players as far as I can tell, so I found a buddy who could hop in with me to fight the boss. 2 other players did show up, and managed to steal a chest from us, but we killed both of them and never saw their ship, so I guess the chest must have ended up on the bottom of the sea or hidden somewhere in the fort? As the second one was dying he taunted me about how they stole the chest from us, but like, I stole the whole haul from someone else (I assume it wasn't these two from what he said during the smack talk), so I dunno, I guess if it made him feel better that they got one chest away but didn't even blow our ship up despite it being heavily laden with gunpowder...

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Engaged with the fort of the damned last night for the first time. Was on a sloop but my crewmate had to log off. Saw that it was up and decided to swing by to see if I could sneak off with someone else's treasure. No ships there when I arrived, but some of the pink skeletons. Optimistically went ashore to see if I could grab a pink flame somewhere still, and yep, I could. The boss was present, but no other players as far as I can tell, so I found a buddy who could hop in with me to fight the boss. 2 other players did show up, and managed to steal a chest from us, but we killed both of them and never saw their ship, so I guess the chest must have ended up on the bottom of the sea or hidden somewhere in the fort? As the second one was dying he taunted me about how they stole the chest from us, but like, I stole the whole haul from someone else (I assume it wasn't these two from what he said during the smack talk), so I dunno, I guess if it made him feel better that they got one chest away but didn't even blow our ship up despite it being heavily laden with gunpowder...
Not sure if its a server disconnect or someone using the fort as bait for a steal but we had this same thing happen to us too.

Load up a game to do a tall tale. Notice the FOTD is up. Decide to swing by just to check it out, maybe get them to ally with us for free loot.... But no ships, no mermaids... odd... and then we notice the boss is out. We put like 10 cannons in him and he dies. Load the boat up and sell everything without contest.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

Was the one chest the Athena chest? (Assuming you completed the FotD.) If so it's possible they swam or rowboated it away.

For some players that's the only one of the FotD chests they care about even though there's a ton of loot in the FotD and the Athena is only valuable if you care about rep in the Athena's Fortune faction. Some of the bigger SoT streamers only care about Athena chests so I'm sure that's rubbed off on some of the player base too.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if its a server disconnect or someone using the fort as bait for a steal but we had this same thing happen to us too.

Load up a game to do a tall tale. Notice the FOTD is up. Decide to swing by just to check it out, maybe get them to ally with us for free loot.... But no ships, no mermaids... odd... and then we notice the boss is out. We put like 10 cannons in him and he dies. Load the boat up and sell everything without contest.

I did get merged onto this server not long before my crew mate left and I went to check it out (probably like 1030 PM PDT). We were literally pulling into the outpost to deliver our merchant cargo run and the server merge happened (which was nice, because a galleon had been skuttled on that outpost before we headed there and I was a little worried about stragglers hanging out looking to hop aboard our ship).

We did end up spotting the other player's mermaids before they stole our chest, but I am 95% sure it wasn't there when I first arrived as I tried to be careful!

Was the one chest the Athena chest? (Assuming you completed the FotD.) If so it's possible they swam or rowboated it away.

For some players that's the only one of the FotD chests they care about even though there's a ton of loot in the FotD and the Athena is only valuable if you care about rep in the Athena's Fortune faction. Some of the bigger SoT streamers only care about Athena chests so I'm sure that's rubbed off on some of the player base too.

It was the Athena, yeah, but I am not a legend yet, so I don't think it does much for me beyond the payday relatively equivalent to the stronghold kegs/skulls/chests, and we had like 8 of those along with all the gems and what not. I actually swear the UI told me I had unlocked a title from that faction from selling Stronghold skulls, but I guess I just made progress toward it (or maybe I did unlock it but it won't let me equip until I make Legend, I dunno?)

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
If you're playing with a legend in a crew you'll make progress towards the athena commendations for doing stuff as a legend, but i have no idea if actually wearing those titles is locked off until you're a legend yourself

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Man I've been really enjoying the emissary stuff. I've been able to get into more alliances with other players than ever before (2 consecutive nights in a row compared to 2 per year like before >_> ) plus the bonus money/rep from finishing missions and just doing other stuff like Megalodons has really helped me bump up my levels.

From playing since launch on and off, i'm around Lv 42 in Gold Hoarders!