• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Had one of the wildest experiences yet today. My brother and I on our sloop were the first to arrive at a skeleton fort, and around wave 3 a galleon shows up to join the fight so we take out the skeletons in the towers firing at them... only for them to immediately sink our ship despite our insistence that we were friendly. About halfway through our ship's destruction I tell my brother to follow me and we sneak up to one of the skeleton towers, hit the sleep emote to keep our profile low, and just wait there for about 5 minutes. Once they finally forget about us, my brother blows up their hull with the tower cannon while I sneak into their ship and blunderbuss everyone who rushed over to patch up the holes. We managed to sink them and considered it a job well done... but since we really wanted that loot we decided to head back once we respawned, and sure enough the galleon is on the way too. So after duking it out a bit more a guy on the other ship finally comes out of party chat and asks to talk with us, and they agree to split the loot in exchange for us not constantly messing with them.

Mere seconds after we finally agree to bring this utterly pointless 30 minute battle to an end, another galleon that everyone was too busy chatting to notice comes out of nowhere and slams into the first galleon with cannons and guns a-blazing. So now we have to ward off this extremely hostile intruder alone as the friendly galleon sinks, and to make a long story short we lose sight of it, decide to ram it as we suddenly see it coming towards us... and realize that the hostile galleon already retreated and we're about to hit the freshly respawned friendly galleon about a second before we collide.

Somehow we eventually got around to raiding the fort and splitting the loot, but boy was it all-out chaos for a while there. With the respawn mechanics the way they are I don't know why anyone even bothers fighting with other ships before the fort is cleared out. Whoever you sink is just going to keep coming back a few minutes later until you eventually run out of supplies.

callmeCata

Oct 27, 2017
The game is out for 5 - 6 days lol

You know ... People are restricted by the physical law of time. Even if someone managed to play 15 hours every day so far - that means the maximum he could've invest in the game is 90 hours. With that value I don't think it's that strange.
I think they are talking about rare tweaking rewards, not players just putting the time in. It might just be that at around 20 the rewards go to shit, but I noticed that the hoarder quests became so lackluster in chests.

Felt like getting bottom tier chests more while the riddle length or skeleton guard numbers went up.

Has anyone come across the special chests? As in the crying chest or the chest of a 1000 grog? It's just cross my mind that I haven't seen any since the beta. And I've found 100s of chests.

Yup! I have seen them both. Fought a kraken with the crying one on board >_>

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Has anyone come across the special chests? As in the crying chest or the chest of a 1000 grog? It's just cross my mind that I haven't seen any since the beta. And I've found 100s of chests.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
So if there's a 4 man crew and some of them die, do they respawn on their ship? I went solo stealth mode to a galleon and ended up killing four or five people, but this was over the span of a few minutes. I couldn't take over their ship because they kept respawning (as far as I could tell). Seems like a major drawback to playing solo.. If I die, I get sent to an island away from where I died. I tried to find anything of value on the galleon, but they didn't have anything that I could take.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

callmeCata

Oct 27, 2017
So if there's a 4 man crew and some of them die, do they respawn on their ship? I went solo stealth mode to a galleon and ended up killing four or five people, but this was over the span of a few minutes. I couldn't take over their ship because they kept respawning (as far as I could tell). Seems like a major drawback to playing solo.. If I die, I get sent to an island away from where I died. I tried to find anything of value on the galleon, but they didn't have anything that I could take.
You spawn on ship if it is still there. Sink their ship or kill them all fast grab something valuable drop anchor and gtfo.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Me and a friend of mine has been in a stronghold fight for almost 3 hours now. We spotted a skull cloud over 'The Crow's Nest Fortress' and decided to attack it with our sloop. One sloop was already there when we arrived, and another sloop was chasing us to the stronghold as well. The fight must have lasted for almost an hour, with all 3 teams taking control of the stronghold and tackling the waves of skeletons there. We managed to sink one of the enemy sloops, but our own ship also sank in the process. We decide to hide in one of the stronghold cannon towers and let the last team standing work through some more waves with us just spectating from above.

While sitting in the tower, another two sloops comes blazing through, having a fierce fight between some large rocks close to the stronghold. One manage to sink the other, and sails towards the stronghold where the other team is killing skeletons. The fight between the rocks must have drained them for materials, as they sank soon after they arrived. The same thing must have also happened to the team taking on the skeletons, since they also sank not too long after. That's what they get for not killing the skeletons respawning in the towers.

We talk to our mermaid to get another ship. Scurry down to the stronghold and clear another two waves of skeletons before we see the boss spawn. We clear all the small skeletons, and kill the boss soon after. We loot the stronghold key and exit the door as we see the sloop that has done most of the job killing skeleton waves (the guys we were spectating from the tower) ram our ship. My friend makes it to the boat, but I don't. In fear of getting killed holding the key, I hide the key underwater, next to the stronghold tower we were spying from earlier, and start swimming towards my boat that is now pretty far away.

I get spotted by one of them, he jumps into the water and starts chasing me. He soon realizes I no longer hold the key, probably because I used both my hands to swim fast. He returns to the stronghold and I get killed by a shark. I get back onto my boat and we sail back to the stronghold to get the key again, but the key is now gone. They found it! They obviously didn't want to lose they key either, so they sail towards another stronghold called 'Lost Gold Fort'. We were scared they maybe wanted to use the key on Lost Gold Fort instead so we had to stop them before they had a chance to do so. If you use the stronghold key on another stronghold it will open the treasure chamber, but it will be empty.

They stop at Lost Gold Fort, like we feared, but we manage to kill them and hide the key on Lost Gold Fort instead. We run to our boat and start sailing so that we trick them into thinking that we now have the key on our boat. They fall for it and start chasing us across the map! I jump off the boat at 'Shipwreck Bay', and my friend carries on until they finally sink our sloop at 'Dagger Tooth Outpost'. This is what we wanted anyway. We get to spawn in another location, with another ship, and they have achieved nothing. They are on the complete opposite side of the map, they have no idea where the key is, we do, so we can make our way back to Lost Gold Fort to get our sweet a** key, and sail to The Crow's Nest Fortress and get our epic loot.

We sail south, down the east side of the map until we reach the bottom. We break left and head towards Lost Gold Fort. I find the key where I hid it earlier, we make a U-turn and carry on. We're closing in on The Crow's Nest Fortress at this point, when we spot a sloop hiding near the stronghold. Guess who! ... Correct! It is the same guys that chased us across the map, for a key we didn't even carry on our boat! At this point it's too late for my friend to start another fight with these guys, and I don't stand a chance against these two alone. So we sail past The Crow's Nest Fortress and decide to hide the key on this big island nearby called 'Devil's Ridge', in the bottom-right corner of the map, and go to bed.

My friend leaves, and while I sit there on top of this huge island, with the key in my hand, I can still see these guys waiting for us to return to The Crow's Nest Fortress and start looting. They were basically waiting for something that will never happen. As soon as I realized that, I actually felt bad for these two brave pirates. They had spent the better part of their Sunday evening on this, and to see the stronghold key with all this nice loot go to waste was no longer an option.

I sit there for another 20-30 minutes before they give up and sail away from the fortress. They are out of render distance at this point and I could have easily looted the place myself. But instead I choose to message one of them via the Xbox app and commend them for being so persistent. I ask them to come in peace, to Devil's Ridge, and I will give them what they seek. Sure enough, I see a sloop return over the horizon, heading directly towards me. I shine my spyglass at them from the top of the island. They anchor at the beach and run up to the top where I've neatly placed the stronghold key on this large rock that gives them a nice view of the surrounding islands and The Crow's Nest Fortress.

As a small token of appreciation they play some music and dance with me for a while, before they wave goodbye, leave with the key and sail towards the stronghold. From Devil's Ridge I have a clear view of them looting the treasure chamber, and as the sun sets I see them head towards Ancient Spire Outpost, so that they can deliver something they have chased for 3 long hours at sea.

Last edited:

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Me and a friend of mine has been in a stronghold fight for almost 3 hours now. We spotted a skull cloud over 'The Crow's Nest Fortress' and decided to attack it with our sloop. One sloop was already there when we arrived, and another sloop was chasing us to the stronghold as well. The fight must have lasted for almost an hour, with all 3 teams taking control of the stronghold and tackling the waves of skeletons there. We managed to sink one of the enemy sloops, but our own ship also sank in the process. We decide to hide in one of the stronghold cannon towers and the let the last team standing work through some more waves with us just spectating from above.

While sitting in the tower, another two sloops comes blazing through, having a fierce fight between some large rocks close to the stronghold. One manage to sink the other, and sails towards the stronghold where the other team is killing skeletons. The fight between the rocks must have drained them for materials, as they sank soon after they arrived. The same thing must have also happened to the team taking on the skeletons, since they also sank not too long after. That's what they get for not killing the skeletons respawning in the towers.

We talk to our mermaid to get another ship. Scurry down to the stronghold and clear another two waves of skeletons before we see the boss spawn. We clear all the small skeletons, and kill the boss soon after. We loot the stronghold key and exit the door as we see the sloop that has done most of the job killing skeleton waves (the guys we were spectating from the tower) ram our ship. My friend makes it to the boat, but I don't. In fear of getting killed holding the key, I hide the key underwater, next to the stronghold tower we were spying from earlier, and start swimming towards my boat that is now pretty far away.

I get spotted by one of them, he jumps into the water and starts chasing me. He soon realizes I no longer hold the key, probably because I used both my hands to swim fast. He returns to the stronghold and I get killed by a shark. I get back onto my boat and we sail back to the stronghold to get the key again, but the key is now gone. They found it! They obviously didn't want to lose they key either, so they sail towards another stronghold called 'Lost Gold Fort'. We were scared they maybe wanted to use the key on Lost Gold Fort instead so we had to stop them before they had a chance to do so. If you use the stronghold key on another stronghold it will open the treasure chamber, but it will be empty.

They stop at Lost Gold Fort, like we feared, but we manage to kill them and hide the key on Lost Gold Fort instead. We run to our boat and start sailing so that we trick them into thinking that we now have the key on our boat. They fall for it and start chasing us across the map! I jump off the boat at 'Shipwreck Bay', and my friend carries on until they finally sink our sloop at 'Dagger Tooth Outpost'. This is what we wanted anyway. We get to spawn in another location, with another ship, and they have achieved nothing. They are on the complete opposite side of the map, they have no idea where the key is, we do, so we can make our way back to Lost Gold Fort to get our sweet a** key, and sail to The Crow's Nest Fortress and get our epic loot.

We sail south, down the east side of the map until we reach the bottom. We break left and head towards Lost Gold Fort. I find the key where I hid it earlier, we make a U-turn and carry on. We're closing in on The Crow's Nest Fortress at this point, when we spot a sloop hiding near the stronghold. Guess who! ... Correct! It is the same guys that chased us across the map, for a key we didn't even carry on our boat! At this point it's too late for my friend to start another fight with these guys, and I don't stand a chance against these two alone. So we sail past The Crow's Nest Fortress and decide to hide the key on this big island nearby called 'Devil's Ridge', in the bottom-right corner of the map, and go to bed.

My friend leaves, and while I sit there on top of this huge island, with the key in my hand, I can still see these guys waiting for us to return to The Crow's Nest Fortress and starting looting. They were basically waiting for something that will never happen. As soon as I realized that, I actually felt bad for these two brave pirates. They had spent the better part of their Sunday evening on this, and to see the stronghold key with all this nice loot go to waste was no longer an option.

I sit there for another 20-30 minutes before they give up and sail away from the fortress. They are out of render distance at this point and I could have easily looted the place myself. But instead I choose to message one of them via the Xbox app and commend them for being so persistent. I ask them to come in peace, to Devil's Ridge, and I will give them what they seek. Sure enough, I see a sloop return over the horizon, heading directly towards me. I shine my spyglass at them from the top of the island. They anchor at the beach and run up to the top where I've neatly placed the stronghold key on this large rock that gives them a nice view of the surrounding islands and The Crow's Nest Fortress.

As a small token of appreciation they play some music and dance with me for a while, before they wave goodbye, leave with the key and sail towards the stronghold. From Devil's Ridge I have a clear view of them looting the treasure chamber, and as the sun sets I see them head towards Ancient Spire Outpost, so that they can deliver something they have chased for 3 long hours at sea.

This is incredible. Awesome story.

callmeCata

Oct 27, 2017
How do you sink a galleon? I tried shooting a barrel of gunpowder, but it didnt blow up.
Barrels of gunpowder will blow up if shot, might need two if you are really far away. You can also just swim up to the bottom with a barrel of gunpowder in hand and it will detonate if you let it go under their ship. This will make holes that will sink the ship if it is not repaired. Your next job is to stop repairs by interfering with the enemy crew. As you can assume quite the task for one man sloops.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well just finished raiding a Fort against 2 other enemy Galleons. We one three times and the other twice before they gave up.
I sank every ship using explosive barrels, it was a ton of fun, but also stressful.

If the enemies were any good, that would have been an incredibly stressful experience. Rare really needs to overhaul the spawn system with a bigger time sink so other ships can't just return over and over.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hard pressed to think of a game that's looks better than this when you're in an area with uber blue water, clear skies, the high contrast island scenery... it looks absolutely phenomenal. Probably the best art I've seen in a game. That or Ori.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
People throwing a fit because they want to go back to the outpost and sell a single chest are so fucking annoying

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Me and a friend of mine has been in a stronghold fight for almost 3 hours now. We spotted a skull cloud over 'The Crow's Nest Fortress' and decided to attack it with our sloop. One sloop was already there when we arrived, and another sloop was chasing us to the stronghold as well. The fight must have lasted for almost an hour, with all 3 teams taking control of the stronghold and tackling the waves of skeletons there. We managed to sink one of the enemy sloops, but our own ship also sank in the process. We decide to hide in one of the stronghold cannon towers and let the last team standing work through some more waves with us just spectating from above.

My friend leaves, and while I sit there on top of this huge island, with the key in my hand, I can still see these guys waiting for us to return to The Crow's Nest Fortress and start looting. They were basically waiting for something that will never happen. As soon as I realized that, I actually felt bad for these two brave pirates. They had spent the better part of their Sunday evening on this, and to see the stronghold key with all this nice loot go to waste was no longer an option.

This is an awesome fucking story.

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017

Lol man, I would never do what those pirates did, too much work and time. Nice story

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
https://www.twitch.tv/kinggothalion

Probably the best SoT streamer. Just having shenanigans right now and holy hell so many hilarious moments lmao

I watched some of him last night. I love how he narrates/justifies the times he goes hostile. That balancing act for friendly vs trolling vs hostile is such a big part of playing this game. Unexpected friendliness or last-minute truces are the best.

People throwing a fit because they want to go back to the outpost and sell a single chest are so fucking annoying

That would bug me so much. I feel like people enjoy the game more when they get how the sense of risk/reward builds up when you're not wasting time and headspace worrying about a chest. Especially on a galleon. I bet most players figure this out over time.

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
Looking for a group to play with, serious players, im up for a couple of hours. Gamertag is : Murray Le Skull. im on pc.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That would bug me so much. I feel like people enjoy the game more when they get how the sense of risk/reward builds up when you're not wasting time and headspace worrying about a chest. Especially on a galleon. I bet most players figure this out over time.
Only if it's a 1k chest and the outpost is on course for the next island. Otherwise fuck it.

I truly feel the grind tho, being 23/20/16 is still a long way to legendary pirate. But i need that (and the red admirals sail for 140k)

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Just had an amazing 2 hour session with 3 strangers. All 3 did not have a mic, but they were communicating with the in-game system, which I did not know it uses a synthesized voice to hear it. We did 3 runs, getting on average 6 chest, 4 skulls, supplies. We then lost one and a new random joined, he was on the ship while the other 2 were exploring an island for treasure. He was very cool and wanted to play not be an ass. The two guys with no mic were having trouble finding the last chest, but the new guy that had a mic figured it out. At this point we had 4 chests on-board and 4 gun powder barrels. The new person found the 5th chest and him and the other 2 explored the island some more. We found a box of Silk, a box of tea, 4 more gun-powder and 1 more hidden chest. All in all it was a fantastic session, but I had to depart due to dinner. But even with 3 strangers, most of the time no voice chat and we still had a blast. We did not attack anyone. We did have a few sloops get close but all we did was fire warning shots at them. Soon as we did they turned to another direction. We had a "don't attack unless fired upon" approach. It as a fun time. Got to 12 with Merchant, 10 with Souls and 8 with Merchant Alliance. Wish I could have played more. The new guy that joined was 16/14/12 so he would have better quests...but dinner called.

Damn this game. I have Elex which just got the "X" patch and Kingdom Come Deliverance on top of my PRO and Switch and when I look at what to play, Sea of Thieves draws me to it's waters and that is all I want to play. If playing this as much as I am and a lot of you with the concerns/issues we currently have, we are going to be like addicts when they add more varied things to do and other stuff. Can't wait personally!!!

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone care to invite me to a group? Every time I do random, right at the start people always put me in jail cell, like wth man this is getting annoying.

On PC GT : Murray Le Skull

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone care to invite me to a group? Every time I do random, right at the start people always put me in jail cell, like wth man this is getting annoying.

On PC GT : Murray Le Skull

I will be back on in about 30 min. from now. So at 8:30 pm Mountain Time, 10:30pm EST, 730pm PST. Gamer tag is same as username here.

Oct 26, 2017
If the enemies were any good, that would have been an incredibly stressful experience. Rare really needs to overhaul the spawn system with a bigger time sink so other ships can't just return over and over.

My biggest complaint at the moment. We had a ship do this last night, the smallest one . They just kept at it until finally they ran out of resources and decided it wasnt worth the trouble to replenish and try to ram our galleon again. There should be harsher penalties for decisions that put you on the losing end. Maybe even simply randomize which outpost they respawn at.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
Had a great time with a group randos today. Haven't spoken to this many random people online since before party chat became a thing. For a game with not much to do, I am having a fucking great time.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
So a friend of mine gets nauseous playing Sea of Thieves, and neither of us understand exactly why.

He's never had that problem with any other game. Increasing the FoV helped, but for some reason, it introduced stutter (though I honestly believe he was simply lagging).

lexible

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
So a friend of mine gets nauseous playing Sea of Thieves, and neither of us understand exactly why.

He's never had that problem with any other game. Increasing the FoV helped, but for some reason, it introduced stutter (though I honestly believe he was simply lagging).

I often Feel a bit nauseated on galleons. Is it crazy that I'm getting sea sick from this game?

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
Has Rare mentioned anything regarding join in progress? On PC it's possible if you queue up with more slots on your crew and if one of those slots is empty. But I mean if my friend starts a solo sloop and I get on later it'd be nice to be able to hop into his game.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Has Rare mentioned anything regarding join in progress? On PC it's possible if you queue up with more slots on your crew and if one of those slots is empty. But I mean if my friend starts a solo sloop and I get on later it'd be nice to be able to hop into his game.
when private ships are in that would fix that issue.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
When you turn the pain of the chest of sorrow into a weapon......I dont think the enemy ship realized why I snuck onto their boat while attacking, until it was too late and they couldn't figure out why the kept taking shit loads of water on.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
-7 chests and 15 gunpowder barrels
-guy who kept wasting our time earlier decides to get to the outpost, parks on the wrong side on the worst outpost, have to cross the whole island to sell anything
-I tell the three of them I'm going to move the boat alone since they're busy running like idiots
-I pull the anchor slowly and start my maneuver, it won't take long
-guy comes back on the boat; says 'It's fine" and drops the anchor

http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F06%2FJack-Nicholson.gif

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't have a headset for my XBX so I installed this game on Windows... playing this game at 60fps is a huge improvement.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I don't have a headset for my XBX so I installed this game on Windows... playing this game at 60fps is a huge improvement.

If your a decent mouse and keyboard user.....just wait till you can solo galleons with a blunderbuss like a jumping jackass rabbit......it's so much fun when no controller user can keep up with that snap!

Plus you can party chat and use proximity chat at the same time due to push to talk. You can relay info to your teammates in party chat without the enemy knowing and then tease them using PTT in proximity

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
FTW you accidentally buy a blunderbluss skin when you were saving up for a set :(

There goes almost half my coins. I shouldn't hit A too fast.

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

It's Rare's Top Priority behind Server issues.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
I think Rare should release a detailed roadmap for updates this week. People need to be assured that content is coming, and coming fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.