• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
Different people. Different opinions. Your post doesn't, and will never ever cover everybody.

just like the post disagreeing with his opinion.

There is a difference between not enjoying the style of the game, and trashing the game. I don't like GTA, but I won't be insane to trash it, because it is a good game, just not my style.

what some people are doing is completely trashing the game when this type of game is not their cup of tea

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What are you considering to be the 'gameplay loop' here? It's a sandbox game. There is no real specific 'game loop'.
What? Of course there is. Its literally get quest-sail to island(s)-get loot-trade in for money and more quests-repeat. You can sub PvP in for getting quests but the function is the same. Thats the gameplay loop. Rare themselves have even been pretty open about it as the progression of the game.

Oct 25, 2017
697ig60g03n01.jpg

Sums up quite a few people

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
Does anyone have an idea about using your mic on Pc?

So when I plug in my mic it cuts the sound from my receiver speakers, and I can barely hear the game music in my headset. But I want to retain sound on my receiver and just voice in my headset..

I've scanned a bit on the forums and it seems others might have mic issues. Has anyone here dealt with it? Now on my Xbox one x controller I'm plugging into the 3.5mm jack. So I'm not sure.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Just checked SoT/Status. Saw this.

Upcoming Maintenance Windows
Last Updated: 21 Mar at 17:00

The game will be unavailable due to necessary maintenance at these times:

• Thursday 22nd March 9am – 12pm GMT
  • Saturday 24th March 9am – 12pm GMT
  • Tuesday 27th March 9am – 12pm GMT

Oct 26, 2017
just like the post disagreeing with his opinion.

There is a difference between not enjoying the style of the game, and trashing the game. I don't like GTA, but I won't be insane to trash it, because it is a good game, just not my style.

what some people are doing is completely trashing the game when this type of game is not their cup of tea
Talking about perceived lack of content isn't trashing a game. Fuck.

It's also not "concern trolling".

tlhm94

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What? Of course there is. Its literally get quest-sail to island(s)-get loot-trade in for money and more quests-repeat. You can sub PvP in for getting quests but the function is the same. Thats the gameplay loop. Rare themselves have even been pretty open about it as the progression of the game.

The primary gameplay loop is the moment to moment actions of the player. Not the quest structure. Quest structures are the secondary gameplay loop. In SoT, these serve as contexts to propels players out into the world to engage with its various sandbox aspects. Those sandbox aspects constitute the primary gameplay loop. You can describe *any* game ignorantly and dismissively by ignoring the primary gameplay loop. You can say Witcher 3 is about getting a quest, going to place to kill/get something, coming back for reward...lather rinse repeat. That doesn't actually describe anything specific about the primary gameplay loop though.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
What is the general consensus among streamers?

Admittedly I've only been watching 5 or so different streams, but they've all been having the time of their lives

Seems like the bigger, MP types aren't into it while others are.

I've seen some of his streams, even one with the final version and he seemed to be enjoying it a lot. But if he don't want to play anymore ok. He was one of my favourite SoT streamers, but there are others.

He said it "fucking sucks" so I assume he's had a change of heart lol.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
Lirik gave his impressions on the game. Is not a fan, to put it lightly. I wonder how long streamers will stream the game. More exposure SOT gets, the better.

About 2-3 days if that. Plenty of times during beta I didn't even see it in the top five but people here will claim it never fell out.

Big streamers are just playing it cause it was most likely free and it's a way for them to get new followers cause it's the new thing. It'll drop like a rock soon.

HDMF76

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nobody has seen much of the day 1 content at this stage. It came out yesterday! As I said before, you can criticize the pacing or the Kraken or other specifics, but without seeing what content is actually here, that angle is not a valid point of criticism.

Lol this is also true of the people that say there is loads to do, nobody knows yet but people band that shit around as a defense of the game but not at people who support it. Kinda hypocritical.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Seems like the bigger, MP types aren't into it while others are.

He said it "fucking sucks" so I assume he's had a change of heart lol.
Don't know. there are people that watch a comedy, laugh the shit and then say "Oh god, this movie so bad". I wouldn't be very surprised if he return to play in a couple of days.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
What is the general consensus among streamers?

Admittedly I've only been watching 5 or so different streams, but they've all been having the time of their lives
Streamers are gamers also. I am watching Goth and he loves it. He for sure understands why some people wont like it tho.
They game is just unique and some people will hate it and some will love it. Same with streamers. But the game overall is fun to watch tho and sets the streamer in the spotlight and thats a strenght of it.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Streamers have no standards I see. Just go there where the money is and always echo your viewers.
Now this fucking sucks about gaming today... influencers and streamers many people follow and eat everything said streamer spout ouf of their sponsored mouth.

Don't know. there are people that watch a comedy, laugh the shit and then say "Oh god, this movie so bad".

Don't get me wrong, I think he's delusional with that comment. I do think he had valid complaints, I'm just a bit blown away that someone that into gaming would have no idea what the game was after playing the beta and obviously keeping up with it.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I used the 14-day gamepass trial to give this a shot yesterday. Played with some friends, and they had played the beta and had an idea what they were doing. We went to a skeleton fort marked by a skull cloud. What was cool though was there was another ship there. Given how we typically behaved in games like DayZ, we of course opened fire on them. Their ship was getting messed up pretty badly, and suddenly we were hearing this voice right next to us. Turned around and we see "Trump3terms" on our ship trying to hit us with his sword. We killed Trump's chances of having 3 terms, and sank their ship. Then we saw his friends swimming toward our ship, and heard them talking as we were shooting them out of the water saying "They're shooting us from their ship." We killed them, and had the skeleton fort all to ourselves. While we were doing this, the canons from the skeleton fort were shooting at us too. We had a couple of holes, and took on a bit of water in the brig, but we patched it up and got the water out. The skeleton fort was finished, we got all the treasure onto the ship and made for an outpost. We sold the stuff without issue.

I love that other players can interrupt these activities, and I think that's the draw of this game for me honestly.

I'll have to give a Sloop a try today.
Thank you for killing Trump3terms. kthx. :)

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
The primary gameplay loop is the moment to moment actions of the player. Not the quest structure. Quest structures are the secondary gameplay loop. In SoT, these serve as contexts to propels players out into the world to engage with its various sandbox aspects. Those sandbox aspects constitute the primary gameplay loop. You can describe *any* game ignorantly and dismissively by ignoring the primary gameplay loop. You can say Witcher 3 is about getting a quest, going to place to kill/get something, coming back for reward...lather rinse repeat. That doesn't actually describe anything specific about the primary gameplay loop though.
Yeah, haven't played it yet, but this game looks to be something that's great to just hang out in and get actual drunk while doing so. The fun part is interacting with the world and other people.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
New glitch. Spawned in and couldn't use any weapons and my inventory only had a banana, and a compass and everything else was missing.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes it does. That quite literally describes the gameplay loop. Rare themselves even have videos up about it.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
About 2-3 days if that. Plenty of times during beta I didn't even see it in the top five but people here will claim it never fell out.

Big streamers are just playing it cause it was most likely free and it's a way for them to get new followers cause it's the new thing. It'll drop like a rock soon.

It's having a really rough start. I genuinely feel bad for Rare and XBOX as a whole. This had a ton of potential but even on the SOT reddit the community seems split.

Jan 4, 2018
Rare needs to add ASAP:
- AI controlled ships of the line (like the East Indian Company in Pirates of the Carribean) with its governors, admirals and its royal soldiers. They would represent a huge threat to pirates and their strongholds. Pirates would need to team up to fight them. Pirates could also attack royal convoys and steal gold from them.
- the Flying Dutchman (NPC)
- Captain Blackeye (NPC)
- Captain Blubber and the Salty Hippo (NPC)
- a flag editor
- maybe a flag communication system (like England used during the battle of Trafalgar). Or a white flag.
- cities/safe zones where we can socialize with other peoples, find informations, do quests, ect. (pirates cities / royal company cities)
- a place with a parrot that tells pirates jokes
- fishing, mini-games, races, dice games, etc.
- hideouts where I can invite friends and spend good times
- alchemy mechanics
- full ship customization
- better, varied and interesting quests
- more variety in ennemies : royal soldiers, witchs, bats, ghosts, monsters, tigers...
- whales, killer whales, turtles, octopus and dolphins !!!
- leaderboads
- being able to play Banjo's musics with various instruments
- Kazooie as a bird that you can see randomly in the sky, which triggers something unique
- a secret shipwreck with a big treasure at a random place on the map : the Cetan ship (from Perfect dark)
- Banjo as a bear in a secret cave you have to found and he would give you something unique
- Gruntilda as a witch, only at night and when the weather is stormy
- Lord Woo Fak Fak at the bottom of the ocean
- a lighthouse
- Atlantis

They can't wait 3 months to add content. They need to make this world more alive and less empty.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Had a lot of fun playing this morning until...I found a message in a bottle, which led me to a very small island with 3 named golden skeletons, all with guns. I wasn't super prepared with cannonballs, so it ended up being a grind-fest consisting of trying to get them in the water without being shot by all three (or get close enough to splash them with a bucket), and then shooting them a couple of times. Felt like a grind to just hit them twice while sustaining damage, retreat, eat banana, repeat. I wish the water stalled their ability to shoot. But I guess mostly it made me realize that it would have been a fun mission with 3 other squadmates, was tedious with one. So I think from here on out, I'm going to avoid the solo sailing.

Here's hoping for a constant stream of updates and added life to the game. The framework is very fun.

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to every game every. Obviously the timeframe that happens varies heavily depending on the game. But in the end, every game is monotonous. THinking back I don't even know how I could play most of the MMO's that heavily because I did the same thing every day...

The game play loop keeping people engaged is a large part of what makes a game good though.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
So I booted the game up bought a treasure map, it didn't show up and I had no weapons.
I restarted the game, had my weapons, but 0 Gold.
Currently starting again...

violent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could write a short story on all the events that took place within a 2-hour window playing yesterday. Direction was minimal as were victories. But the misadventure that absolutely dominated everything we were doing was the true highlight of the session. Some of the most fun I've had in gaming and that fun cannot be bullet-pointed on any box.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
The Waypoint Twitch stream has been really entertaining, and they're definitely having fun with it. There are comments to the effect of hoping it grows like they're describing. I only found out about it because Austin threw up a clip of encountering a kraken on Twitter.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
Streamers are gamers also. I am watching Goth and he loves it. He for sure understands why some people wont like it tho.
They game is just unique and some people will hate it and some will love it. Same with streamers. But the game overall is fun to watch tho and sets the streamer in the spotlight and thats a strenght of it.

I don't really watch much streaming tbh, just dive in every now and again to see some gameplay if it's a game I'm interested in, but this is the first game I've genuinely enjoyed watching others play for more than five or ten minutes. Got home from work last night and ended up watching a 'Kraken' hunt for a good hour!

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
The Waypoint Twitch stream has been really entertaining, and they're definitely having fun with it. There are comments to the effect of hoping it grows like they're describing. I only found out about it because Austin threw up a clip of encountering a kraken on Twitter.

He (rightfully, IMO), criticized the character creator. I also think he's not the biggest fan of the general repetitiveness, but he also seems to be having fun, so?

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Do I see that right that to change the game language I would have to change the system language of my PC?

tlhm94

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lol this is also true of the people that say there is loads to do, nobody knows yet but people band that shit around as a defense of the game but not at people who support it. Kinda hypocritical.

There is loads to do in the final beta imho. There is lots more in the day 1 build. I can have an opinion in this direction that is informed because I have seen enough to make it impossible for that opinion to change (i.e. discovering more stuff down the road can't possibly make there be less to do now). The converse is not true. Note also that basically no other game is held to such a backwards standard like this. Nobody normally says a game lacks content unless they know how long the game is or have ppl who have completed the game and then commented on it to influence their expectations.

The issue is how you define content too. Content, for me, refers to the spectrum of gameplay experiences on offer, i.e. the gameplay depth. This game has loads of that. Note that I am not talking about complexity or the amount of direct mechanics; I am referring to the gameplay experiences in general here. As I've said before, lots of folks don't even grasp that this game is a different genre than stuff like Destiny/Division (i.e. loot farming games). Those ppl come to view SoT from the perspective of expecting a loot farming game to be the primary gameplay loop (I can understand this misunderstanding to an extent due to it being a pirate game plus it's 'shared world', but 'shared world' is not a genre).

In reality though, this is a sandbox game and was never sold on the premise of being a loot farming game. The primary gameplay loop in SoT is not well defined at all in terms of its game mechanics since it is a loosely structured sandbox game built on socialization. The core gameplay loop is actually something like 'take on a role within your crew, discuss what ya wanna do with your crew, strategize how you will do it'. It is unique in gaming in the sense that this loop is not built out of a subset of game mechanics, but rather the social interactions of the players. The specific actions that these strategies evolve into then become some combination of sandbox activities and emergent conditions altering the decision making your crew utilizes socially.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8245

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was great watching Austin pick his character, he spent like 20-30 mins on it and was talking about how cool it was from a representation standpoint and how he felt there was a designed intent with not allowing the player to pick exactly what they want.

I watched a bit of yesterday's stream, it was fun watching Rob fall off the boat.

tlhm94

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes it does. That quite literally describes the gameplay loop. Rare themselves even have videos up about it.

...I do not think you understand what 'gameplay loop' mans. The primary gameplay loop refers to the moment to moment actions taken by players. Not the quest structures. Quest structure is a secondary gameplay loop and those are never interesting to describe. In fact, gameplay loops in general are not interesting on paper, basically ever, not even primary ones. For instance, Halo's primary loop is shooting/melee/grenade/repeat.

Here is what I just said to someone else in a tangentially related discussion:

The primary gameplay loop in SoT is not well defined at all in terms of game mechanics since it is a loosely structured sandbox game built on socialization. The core gameplay loop is actually something like 'take on a role within your crew, discuss what ya wanna do with your crew, strategize how you will do it'. It is unique in gaming in the sense that this loop is not built out of a subset of game mechanics, but rather the social interactions of the players. The specific actions that these strategies evolve into then become some combination of sandbox activities and emergent conditions altering the decision making your crew utilizes socially.

Feel free to link me to what RARE said though.

Last edited:

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Streamers have no standards I see. Just go there where the money is and always echo your viewers.
Now this fucking sucks about gaming today... influencers and streamers many people follow and eat everything said streamer spout ouf of their sponsored mouth.
That's not completely true. There are lots of streamers and influencers who tell it how it is. The problem is that when they do this, depending on their following size, the publisher may stop sending them stuff. Those who stick to their guns don't care. The others, who want the internet flame and that dollar will go along with it. Those that do, you see them dropping a game they "hyped" but we're really feeling. Look at Monster Hunter World. A huge bunch of streamers was playing it the first week. Now only those who care about it are still streaming it.

IsThatHP

Oct 31, 2017
don't get caught up in streamers. PDP at the height of his popularity gave sunset overdrive the rub and it didn't translate to an audience. It's not a proven market driver.

Heisenberg726

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

Calm down man, lol.

It's just a person's opinion on a game. Nothing he said was wrong (at least from what I've seen).

Status
Not open for further replies.