• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
For those who don't like the idea of Sea of Thieves; you can still use your Gamepass sub to play plenty of other games. ;)

Man I want to be on the sea again. I will never be a legendary pirate at this pace... haha.

I've a dumb question, is gamepass available on PC no? Do I need to plug back in my Xbox One to try it out?

Not a dumb question. While Gamepass has not officially launched on PC yet, you can use it for Play Anywhere titles like Sea of Thieves.

Just get yourself a subscription (it's the same as on Xbox and it works crossplatform) and start playing.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
I agree that this should've been a 30-40 dollar game just like PUBG. But this does give Gamepass publicity, that's also worth something. I guess.
I'm also in this camp. Favorite multiplayer game of god who knows how long... but it really is a $30-$40 game IMHO. I easily purchased to support Rare and will likely give them monies when i can buy pets and other nonsense because i think they did a great job.

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
Going to jump in tonight. My wife can't play until the weekend. I love that she won't be 'left behind' or the fact that I don't need to wait.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Phonomezer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Solo play is actually the game's hard mode.

You can be playing for hours and lose all progress in an instant the minute you encounter a group of dickheads. Makes the game far less enjoyable.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I'm also in this camp. Favorite multiplayer game of god who knows how long... but it really is a $30-$40 game IMHO. I easily purchased to support Rare and will likely give them monies when i can buy pets and other nonsense because i think they did a great job.

To be honest I think this is a AAA sixty dollar game... it's just not finished.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, my game pass, game share, isn't working for this game, anyone else having issue?

I'm trying to get my wife and all my buddies set up for tonight and its throwing major wrench into our plans, plz help

all the sudden my wife cant use any of my gamepass games : /

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
You know there just is sometimes stuff in this game where I kinda feel it's in early access lol
like animals literally just disappearing when you kill them without an animation XD
"we'll be adding animal death animations in our 0.9 update soon" haha

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
How does this compare to something like Elite Dangerous? Is it that kind of game? Going to look up gameplay videos, but Game Pass is becoming mighty tempting now on Windows.

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
You can sign up via the website on a PC too (trial available).

https://www.microsoft.com/store/p/xbox-game-pass/cfq7ttc0k6l8
You can redeem the code on the Windows Store on PC and then download the game on PC, they are both the same store now and SoT is play anywhere.
Play anywhere games work with game pass so yes you can use it for SoT on PC.
Oh nice, thanks everyone! I'll try it out once I get home then. I don't want to drop 60 bucks for it first without trying it some more!

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

Yes, it should have been a 30$ game. Specially after the Game Pass announcement. This game will get soooooo much heat in reviews and a few percentages less in the review scores just for being a 60$ game.

bonch00ski

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh why do I have to work today I played it for about 15 mins today. I got on my tiny boat and sailed off to an island. I was too late in rolling up my sail and crashed into a rock, then I jumped into the water only to walk up to the shore to see 2 skeleton dudes kill me.

Even though it was brief that was just awesome.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

It is. I do kinda wish there was a bonus to cashing in when you play solo given that everything takes SO much longer.

You can be playing for hours and lose all progress in an instant the minute you encounter a group of dickheads. Makes the game far less enjoyable.

There's always the danger of this, but if you're careful and attentive you can generally be safe.

1) When you get to an island, make sure to nip up to the crow's nest and looking for ships
2) Try to anchor up somewhere relatively well hidden, close to the island, and usually on the far side of the nearest outpost
3) Manoeuvre the ship so you're ready to leave straight away. Raise the sails, raise the anchor, turn so you can make a quick getaway
4) If a quest is taking a while, go back to the ship for peace of mind
5) If you're being chased by a galleon, turn into the wind, the sloop is faster against the wind than the galleon
6) If you're being chased by a sloop, make frequent unpredictable turns. No-one should be able to keep up with you if you have a headstart for every turn
7) When you want to cash in, be careful, if you see a ship go elsewhere. Also quickly check to see if there is a mermaid bobbing in the water.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
4aueslj.png

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

It's so intense. Last night when I was traveling solo with my cache of 5 chests and a few skulls, I was constantly using the spyglass to scan all around me to see if there were any other ships.

At night, I turned off all my lamps so I wasn't standing out against the night. Shit was so fun.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm saying this based on the experience of ~30 hours from the beta rounds: The underlying sailing and multiplayer combat simulation, three factions giving three different styles of mission, the message-in-a-bottle quests with physical puzzle hunts, undersea wrecks for harvesting, and dozens of islands and reef shallows to explore seems like plenty of content for a game built around social overlap like this. The end-game pirate legend content seems like it may be a separate phase of the game, as well. Even in earlier stages of the beta, I had a ton of fun with it, and that was probably 70% random players. I normally don't feel all that engaged by multiplayer games. I play Elite Dangerous in the solo-sandboxed mode. And Elite Dangerous may be a great comparison for a lot of reasons, though there's something cool about the interaction space here, and it's hard to describe. A game where you can have two groups of people riding enourmous ocean-guns just wave to each other as they pass going opposite directions to bring chickens to shore is the kind of oddball I like.

Few other games have as clear a picture of what to expect from the volume of streaming (and multiple betas), or as low a bar for entry because of Game Pass. You can literally play the game for 15 days for free, or play the game for less than $10, or just buy it normally at the store. That makes me cast more scrutiny than usual on people lamenting the enigma of what's in the game, or being insulted that it's being sold at all. Which isn't to say some people just won't enjoy what's there, but I honestly question how someone engaged enough to play the game at launch is confused at what's on offer, or feels taken advantage of by the pricing.

Last edited:

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest I think this is a AAA sixty dollar game... it's just not finished.

From everything shown to trying the betas myself, always looked and felt like an early access title. I was hoping that Rare was hiding a significant amount of content for launch but I guess that's not the case after all. Definitely a bummer... Still excited to jump in though and give the game a shot.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2fWnCO4.jpg

My impressions after playing for a bit:

Things that should be defensible:

The emergent gameplay should be commended in this day and age, with no hand holding and making sure you pay attention to things and your surroundings. That's especially nice in the long run, when people get more experienced and know where locations are without resorting to the map all the time. It makes you appreciate the world more.

Exploring and Sailing are a lot of fun. Rare nailed the foundation of their game with this, everything is intuitive and just clever. I saw people attaching explosive barrels to the ships figurehead and ramming it on other ships and then exploding them. PVP is a joy, and taking the stat based fights away is very clever. You have a chance to win if you outthink your opponent.

Things that cannot be defended:

Content is ridiculously lacking. I know the "fun" of the game is the surprise in every new voyage, but the game is empty in terms of assets. There is only a handful of items, the islands look samey, and there is only one type of enemy. The kraken is a joke, really. Fighting skeletons, the same ones over and over again, is very barebones (har!), and you shouldnt be able to cheese them so easilly.

nin

Asked Politely
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
First time playing and i have no clue what i am doing lol
thankfully i was not alone and the other 3 crew members were really really helpful.
All we did was hunt pigs and snakes but it was really really fun.
The atmosphere is on point. Thanks Rare!

Anyone up for some pig huting with a newb like me later on?
Would love to at least get a hang out of the game with someone who could help me out.

What should i be focusing on early game?
any other recommendations ?

MarsMayflower

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 19, 2017
How does this compare to something like Elite Dangerous? Is it that kind of game? Going to look up gameplay videos, but Game Pass is becoming mighty tempting now on Windows.
I play alot of elite and this is comparable with the feeling you get from the world and the tranquility of simply traveling across the map. But elite is about your ships which affect gameplay. this is simply about your experiences. I must admit though, they will need to bring new content quickly and often for long term success. Much like what elite has done but even quicker since there is no power progression.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Played for about three hours last night and I'm not sat at work desperate to get back to it tonight. Played it all with a buddy and it was the best.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
There's no way this game doesn't get destroyed in reviews.

All there is to do is generic fetch quest after fetch quest.

No different weapons or enemies.

Your ship stays the same.

There's just not much to do.

I'm not sure how they're charging 60 for this. It really feels like an early access game.

It's a shame because I want to like it.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Has anybody had problems with the Order of the Souls voyages? I'm doing my first level 5 one, and can't find any skeletons on the island they wanted me to go to.

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Has anybody had problems with the Order of the Souls voyages? I'm doing my first level 5 one, and can't find any skeletons on the island they wanted me to go to.
Yeah, I've had them bug on me twice. No one appearing, just the combat music playing.

Edit. This was on a very small island, Shark Tooth Key to be precise.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

The audio/musical cues should help, but during the alpha/beta tests I did occasionally have a quest where I simply couldn't find the skellies which made me think it was bugged.

Buckley

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
There's no way this game doesn't get destroyed in reviews.

All there is to do is generic fetch quest after fetch quest.

No different weapons or enemies.

Your ship stays the same.

There's just not much to do.

I'm not sure how they're charging 60 for this. It really feels like an early access game.

It's a shame because I want to like it.
Angry Joe better give it a 2/10. Wondering what jimpressions will be like, as well.

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Finally fought the Kraken. Pretty underwhelming tbh. It didn't try to grab anyone or latch on to the ship. The tentacles were just there waiting to be shot and occasionally tried to pull you in (with its mouth?). Unrewarding too.

It's a different experience with the Kraken each time. Has a mix of different events it could do. Probably just encountered it when it didn't feel like eating you.

Status
Not open for further replies.