• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
ALL i want to know is....at the higher level voyages (before pirate legend status)....do the quests at least get more complicated? maybe sailing between multiple islands? harder riddles? harder enemies?

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
The game tells you NOTHING about how to play it beyond "Press this button to take a look at your map". This isn't the old days where you got an instruction manual and the most complex instruction you needed was "Go right and press A to jump". Just dumping someone into a big open world with no instruction whatsoever is ridiculously unfriendly to a newcomer who hasn't spent an hour or two watching Youtube videos.

And I can understand you not being able to carry more than one say, create of spices or treasure chest. But a skull? I'm sure a person can carry more than one skull at a time.

the tutorial thing I agree. I was lucky I had a nice crew who taught me the basics.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
just turn down the lighting setting, it gives a nice fps boost. playing in 4k60

4k60 is obtainable, but I'm trying to get 1440p120hz.

Shadows at Legendary is very hard to notice so I'm fine with that. The waters runs at 120fps but not the islands so I just cap to 90 for now.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I'm glad im able to enjoy the game despite the dissapointment of:
- Kraken
- No random quest givers on islands/outpost
- No extra instruments (Come on Rare!!)
- no enemy mermaids in the water

Still my favorite game of the last couple of years.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Hated this game in the beta for some reason. I'm playing on game pass and it's finally clicked for me. I love cosmetic loot rather than stats, so this game has its hooks in me. My only issue is a lot of stuff seems pricey to pad out the lack of content at launch.

DannyClash

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got a few hours of 4P in, did not want to stop. It's the kind of game that makes you want to stay in the world and go adventures. that's special

sogood.gif

Oct 31, 2017
What's the general consensus on the game? I love pirates and I've had my eye on this for a while but seeing some of the mixed impressions in his thread has me holding back from getting this. Is it worth the full price? If not, should I get it on game pass?

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
There are no sponsored streams for Sea of Thieves. Why are you straight out lying?

They are given early access and a copy of the game. They play it so they can capitalize on early viewership and then drop it after release and go right back to their main games. Most of the followers watch whatever they are playing as long as they rotate back to their main games. The developers or game companies know they get some free marketing out of these streamers. It doesn't have to say sponsored on it.

I'm saying paid streamers as in ones with high followers... Paid as in making $$ off of streams.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
What's the general consensus on the game? I love pirates and I've had my eye on this for a while but seeing some of the mixed impressions in his thread has me holding back from getting this. Is it worth the full price? If not, should I get it on game pass?
Just try it on Gamepass. There is even a 14 day trial if you never used Gamepass before. :)

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the point of dropping in, shitting on a game you're not going to buy or play, and leaving?

Who exactly is doing this? I skimmed through the last 3 pages and didn't see anyone doing this.

Some people voice dissapointment and criticisms after trying the game, some who haven't yet played the game express disappointing based on what others who have, say. But not one post in the last 3 pages that I saw is someone doing what you describe?

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
No opinion ever will be as important to you as your own. Give it a try on Game Pass. That's why this thing exists.

For me personally, Sea of Thieves is the best gaming experience I had in 10 + years. But this doesn't mean it will be for you, too.

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Test it out on gamepass, that's the most reasonable thing to do if you are in doubt.

The game is fucking sublime, but It's definetly not for everyone. Like these always online games tend to be quite divisive.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Game pass IMO. See how fast you get bored (if at all) and ten cancel your sub. I think gamepass also encourages Microsoft to release updates to keep people subscribing.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I'm glad im able to enjoy the game despite the dissapointment of:
- Kraken
- No random quest givers on islands/outpost
- No extra instruments (Come on Rare!!)
- no enemy mermaids in the water

Still my favorite game of the last couple of years.

It can be fantastic and one of a kind, like I wrote in my huge text a few hours ago that nobody read, but I can understand the disappointment in some parts.

It just is everything you already saw, played or that they talked about/announced, nothing less, but also nothing more, not even a tiny little thing.
Everything they talked about or showed us up to the release is in it, but absolute zero surprises or things that we didn't knew about already, nothing and that's the worst marketing you can do for your game.

Are there even more songs in the game right now?

Oct 31, 2017

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
They are given early access and a copy of the game. They play it so they can capitalize on early viewership and then drop it after release and go right back to their main games. Most of the followers watch whatever they are playing as long as they rotate back to their main games. The developers or game companies know they get some free marketing out of these streamers. It doesn't have to say sponsored on it.

I'm saying paid streamers as in ones with high followers... Paid as in making $$ off of streams.

All those streamers were planning to play the game at launch already. Lirik, Summit, Shroud, Gothalion, CohhCarnage. They played the beta also alot.
Those guys have such big streams they dont need to be paid to play games, They dont care. They play games they like.

aember

Oct 26, 2017
My friend and I loaded up the game yesterday, it was about 6-7pm my time. I was expecting to play for a couple hours then go do other things, but it ended up with me finally going to bed at 4am today. I've been in the Founder program for a very long time, but finally getting to play with my best bud is pretty much like a whole new game.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Even if my time with the game isn't super enjoyable, I wouldn't personally be hit too hard that I subbed to Game Pass for $10.

hexanaut

Dec 6, 2017
It's just nice to be playing a true Rare game again. Banjo Nuts & Bolts came out 10 years ago.

When the marketing uses vague phrases like "the ultimate pirate adventure," one's imagination tends to run wild with possibilities, but having played the alpha/beta for the past year, I've come to terms with what the game actually entails. I can see plenty of people getting bored doing the same basic quest loop and fighting the same skeletons over and over. Perhaps the emergent PvP ship combat will keep people interested, but I hope they have a roadmap planned to support the game extensively. Something tells me the game taking off on Twitch and the overall buzz it has generated caught MS/Rare by surprise and now they're going to have to scramble to make sure this thing has longevity.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Game allows for some fun player interactions to happen. However on the whole it feels like a game with virtually no depth, gameplay variety or real complexity. I wouldn't definitely not recommend paying full price for it so far

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Played a bit before work this morning and man it's it harder/slower solo. Just having to managing everything is just to slow. Also ran into my 1st group of "greifiers" coming back from my 1st mission. They just kept spawn camping me, lucky I got away got on their ship and dropped all there treasure into the ocean. Hope my 1 shitty chest was worth it lol.

Got to do a few missions with my bro and just having 1 more person makes it a far more entertaining game. Right before I had to get ready for work we saw a big ship, thinking everyone was on the island we pulled up next to it in hopes to rob them blind, to our dismay it was fully crewed, only got 2 of them before I died and they sunk our ship before I respawned. Was super fun though.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes... ok then. Time to move on possibly? Maybe grab a drink or partake in whatever relaxing activities you partake in?
I'm allowed to share my opinion on the game. This thread is to share peoples experience positive and negative, mines negative and I don't think its worth the price for how little the content is. For anyone interested in buying do the 14 Day Trial Game Pass and play before you buy.

Paper Wario

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Played til 4am last night with my 3-man galleon. Met up with a friendly sloop and cleared out a skeleton fort and divvied up the treasure. Our original plan was to take them out upon completion and take everything for ourselves but we couldn't allow ourselves to be that bad...yet. Such a blast, but whoof, it is going to be a rough day at work today.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Even if my time with the game isn't super enjoyable, I wouldn't personally be hit too hard that I subbed to Game Pass for $10.

Right. There are a lot of other games to play, especially if you own an xbox. Even if you end up not liking this, taking a punt at a $10 gamepass is worth it.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I'm allowed to share my opinion on the game. This thread is to share peoples experience positive and negative, mines negative and I don't think its worth the price for how little the content is. For anyone interested in buying do the 14 Day Trial Game Pass and play before you buy.

I agree that this should've been a 30-40 dollar game just like PUBG. But this does give Gamepass publicity, that's also worth something. I guess.

Dubz

Nov 3, 2017
Los Angeles
This is is a social game made for streaming, and I think that's awesome. I can play for a few days with friends, jump on something else, and then return without having lost any progress. This is the perfect game for someone like me... A parent with a full time job that wants to set sail for a few hours a week.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
LMAO... i apologize if this has been posted an i missed it... so accurate hahaha!

This is me every time. I had 2 galleons trying to steal my treasure and sink me when all I had was a small brown secret box. After much failure on both their parts they killed me, searched my sloop and left. Upon respawning they were sailing away, I patched my ship, and they never found my brown box. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Everyone wants me dead and I just wanna sell stuff :(

Nov 27, 2017
Finally fought the Kraken. Pretty underwhelming tbh. It didn't try to grab anyone or latch on to the ship. The tentacles were just there waiting to be shot and occasionally tried to pull you in (with its mouth?). Unrewarding too.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
I'm all for everyone sharing their opinions. I only meant that it seems you're getting a little worked up or at least using language that suggest that and to maybe dial it back a bit before continuing.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
This is is a social game made for streaming, and I think that's awesome. I can play for a few days with friends, jump on something else, and then return without having lost any progress. This is the perfect game for someone like me... A parent with a full time job that wants to set sail for a few hours a week.

This is really important. You can join other people who have played much more without it being a problem. In Destiny your less-active friends would have to be left behind at some point. And the fact that they don't have DLC so everyone plays the same game, they don't have expansions and no vertical progression makes it easy to join for people now and for people in 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.