• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

Sea of Thieves news:
- Instead of weekly updates the team at Rare now do a more edited format with a short update from Neate (the executive producer) plus other bits such as developer interviews and community highlights

Crews of Rage (February 19):
- Most features aren't revealed yet
- Players will be able to change their characters with a potion (probably locked between a paywall?), which can be bought in the Pirate Emporium. This gives you an option to use the infamous character choosing tool
- Updates to sword combat
- Chest of Rage is a new cursed chest, (like the crying chest and the drunken chest) which sets your ship on fire if you leave it unattended for too long.

St Jude's sails
- A couple of months ago Rare put a set of sails in the game for charity, SpecialEffect. This time they're adding another set of sails, for St Judes Childrens Hospital.

pukN7zE.jpg

Content update video for the next expansion will come next week.

Last edited:

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Looking forward to this! :) Might become a Pirate Legend this or next month, been a long grind.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe i'll get a new xbox this holyday and experience what this game is about

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Can I get through a tall tale without randomly getting murdered yet?

Depends. The game is a shared world and everyone's voyages or objectives can intersect at any point. It's all up to what other people are doing or want to do versus yours. They have not yet introduced a private server option.

Keep a weather eye out for other players in the area, put up a white flag or bilge flag (though 50/50 on whether that'll deter anyone), don't approach islands with other ships already there, don't pick up treasure besides TT items, grab a rowboat and put tall tale items in there, and hope for the best. Also - be ready for an attack and defend your ground. Since Tall Tale items are worthless you may be able to get them back from your attackers (in the event I've sunk people on TTs we usually try to return their stuff). Or if you put your TT items in a rowboat the attacking crew may leave them where you sunk. They may also not do that, but most experienced players know how much it sucks to lose tall tale progress.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I was doing Tall Tale #3 the other night with my casual crew - we dread the scenario of overly aggressive PvP/griefing to the degree of harassment and bigotry over communications when trying to accomplish a story mission the few times we play a year - and right when we were gonna turn in the story item to finish the Tall Tale at a specific outpost after three hours of playing and had to log off asap, there was another Brig. Super tense at first, but it turned out to be a Sea of Friends encounter. When the social aspect of SoT isn't toxic (and I'm not talking playing as intended and partaking in piracy, but y'know, harassment), it's the most feel good multiplayer game around.

I'd love it if the Pirate Appearance Potion launched with a new way to choose a character's appearance rather than the same old. I loved Rare's sentiment behind the randomize at launch (that they curated presets to avoid people making endless recreations of pirates from other media), but I just don't want to deal with the randomizer again two years later, especially if I'm doing MTX. Let me lock in ethnicity and body type and such at least on the randomizer if I can't design exactly what I want to represent myself. Also needs an option to revert to an old appearance if you regret the new one(s) after using it.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I'd love it if the Pirate Appearance Potion launched with a new way to choose a character's appearance rather than the same old. I loved Rare's sentiment behind the randomize at launch (that they curated presets to avoid people making endless recreations of pirates from other media), but I just don't want to deal with the randomizer again two years later, especially if I'm doing MTX. Let me lock in ethnicity and body type and such at least on the randomizer if I can't design exactly what I want to represent myself. Also needs an option to revert to an old appearance if you regret the new one(s) after using it.

The randomizer never bugged me that much because, while it obviously took forever for me to find the combination I wanted, you only have to do it once.

That said, after two years it would be nice for them to just let people make whatever they want I suppose.

As for the video - man the folks at Rare look like they've having fun these days. I don't even play SOT anymore but I still watched the weekly dev updates, because Three Sheets Neate was usually pretty funny in them.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
The randomizer never bugged me that much because, while it obviously took forever for me to find the combination I wanted, you only have to do it once.

That said, after two years it would be nice for them to just let people make whatever they want I suppose.

As for the video - man the folks at Rare look like they've having fun these days. I don't even play SOT anymore but I still watched the weekly dev updates, because Three Sheets Neate was usually pretty funny in them.
Yeah, it's exactly that my expectations are different two years later, and I don't think Rare has to worry about the world filling with a bunch of Jack Sparrow players suddenly as they obviously had to at launch. I loved the sentiment behind the randomizer prior to/at launch and am sentimental about the design I chose, but if Rare is going to begin charging to change the appearance of your character, I'd like more options than re-rolling on essentially the same randomizer from 2018.