• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
The fire was accidentally revealed a few months ago. Looking forward to ship battles with these new mechanics.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
How big is the update on a base Xbox One? I have a shit internet plan atm.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this worth playing solo yet?

love the idea of the setting but prefer playing at my own pace

Playing Solo is still hard. Make no mistake this game shines brightest in a crew and is designed that way. It's why you don't have a mini map, waypoints etc. They specifically designed the game to encourage teamwork to do something as simple as sailing and navigating.

It is very possible to play the game solo, but its essentially hard mode. You can think about it like attempting to solo a destiny dungeon. It's designed for 3 players. But its doable solo and plenty do it that way. To me, being solo just means I am more alert/careful, take fewer chances, and understand that things will take longer to do.

FWIW, I did this Tall Tale in insiders solo and it was solo friendly (barring interference from other players, which you are bound to get in the early days)

I think Rare is very aware of the solo is hard complaint. It's a very common one. I am still VERY against the idea of private or non-pvp servers. But I do think you should have the option to join a "solo sloops only" server. A duo sloop can hold its own against other ships. Its harder but not imposisble. It's impossible for a solo player to do anything other than run away and hope your chasers get bored. Solo servers would mean every fight is fair. It would also mean you are more likely to team up. And the normal servers you know that you can't just pick on a sloop hoping to get a solo person that cant fight back.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Game isn't for me but it's great that they're still adding to and fixing the game. My sister and her friends play all of the time.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Must say they are nailing the customization these days. All the new stuff looks amazing. And dont let me begin to talk about that new Cockatoo skin. So goooood.

sea-of-thieves-cockatoo-sovereign-outfit.png

Last edited:

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Watching fire envelop a Galleon is a beautiful sight. Love the new main menu music too.

Hope to play this tonight.

Kei-

Mar 1, 2018
Having trouble getting the update to download either through the game pass app or the Microsoft store. Anyone else with this issue?

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still annoyed they did nothing until now to enhance sword and gunplay and we can't even name our ships yet.

I feel this. And I'm a big fan of the game.

I will say, there have been constant minor improvements to swords and guns. Some well received. Others more controversial. But they are tweaking it all the time. However from the alphas to now it has still always been largely clunky. Unfortunately a lot of that is by design. The guns are old piratey guns. They won't be your CoD M16. As far as sword combat goes, I think honestly a lot of it is networking issues. Can you think of one game that has satisfying first person melee combat. Now can you think of one that has satisfying first person melee combat online? It's very rare to see it done well.

For all its clunk, there is a general sense of skill to the sword and gunplay. Gunplay obviously, but with the sword there are combos, dodges, cool downs, etc to keep track of. It's supposed to be a very rock paper scissors dance, and it absolutely can be, but it often devolves into rampant swinging and bunny hopping.

For ship names I am right there with you. It's a feature that was supposed to be in the game. We have functionality to name our pets so why not ships. The placard is there and there are beached ships which are named. If you recall, right after launch, the first content update was SUPPOSED to be the captaincy update. They wanted to make a distinction between Pirate legends, normal players, and "captains". They said you would know when a ship was a "captaincy" ship. After the backlash to the lack of content of the game they scrapped that for more gameplay focused content drops. My theory is a lot of the ship customization we see in the game now was part of that update. The ship naming was supposed to be in there too. Now what would be DOPE, is if they made this fan mock up real.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Seaofthiev...ple_request_give_us_ship_reveal_with_captain/

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I feel like it's time to jump into this game. It's just sitting there on Game Pass waiting for me to play it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The menu music that they made for the Seabound Soul is just amazing. I love it.

I keep hovering over buying that Black Friday sail. I don't think I will though. The absolute cheek of releasing a cosmetic for Black Friday that isn't on sale, it's just a 'Black Friday Sail'. They're having a laugh.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
The menu music that they made for the Seabound Soul is just amazing. I love it.

I keep hovering over buying that Black Friday sail. I don't think I will though. The absolute cheek of releasing a cosmetic for Black Friday that isn't on sale, it's just a 'Black Friday Sail'. They're having a laugh.

I bought it. It looks great.