• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Coming on Jan 28th, if all goes well, a Sea of Thieves update will launch with a brand new feature: Seasons. If you've played other popular GAAS games, you already know how this goes.

Seasonal content is free for all Sea of Thieves pirates to play, and its progression system offers a treasure trove of rewards to earn as you progress through levels of Renown – rewards ranging from in-game currency through to cosmetics, emotes and even Ancient Coins to spend in the Pirate Emporium! There will also be an optional premium element to Seasons via the Plunder Pass, which we've explained in its very own article. Access to Seasons will not be gated through this Pass, and as is the case with all our updates, the Seasons update will be free for all players.

https://www.seaofthieves.com/news/seasons-explained

This move to a Seasonal structure is designed to enrich the game and provide players with the freedom to enjoy Sea of Thieves their way, while making sure that a feeling of progression is present throughout a whole gameplay session. We know how frustrated some of you have felt when something's gone awry and you've lost loot, so Seasonal play is there to let you make progress and leave satisfied every time you set sail.

Jan 4, 2018

As we dive deeper into a new year, we're excited to share more details on Seasons, Sea of Thieves' new way to play. We've been working hard on this feature over the past few months, and we believe it'll truly transform how we release and operate Sea of Thieves. It's the most ambitious change we've made to our progression system since launch – one that we think will give you a lot more satisfaction from session to session – so we're very excited for you to get your hands on it.

• A new way to play Sea of Thieves arrives on January 28th with the launch of Season One
  • Each Season will last approximately three months, bringing in new gameplay features, rewards and live Events
  • Players progress through Seasons by winning Renown – a new progression metric that isn't wholly dependent on handing in loot
  • Players are invited to play through 100 levels of Renown across 10 tiers of progression to unlock more rewards than we've ever made available at a single time
  • An optional premium element, the Plunder Pass, will add even more rewards when progressing through levels of Renown

Sea of Thieves - Sea of Thieves' Seasons Explained

New year, new Seasons – find out what's ahead as Season One gets set to launch!

Rare also revealed on their forums that "the Holiday period saw the most successful period for the title since launch in terms of traffic".

Shamanoski

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 17, 2021
This is awesome. It'll make the players more interested and keep on coming back

I am in!

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

Plunder Pass seems kinda lame, 11 more items to unlock anlong the way for 9.99$

Oct 30, 2017
I wish I had friends lol. I couldn't get into this as a solo player. No fault to the game itself; it looks great and has a lot of charm but it is certainly a choose your own adventure

Oct 27, 2017
Watched the video, but it ended up looking sad.

Like... Throw away all the currencies, throw away all the recolor cosmetics like flag/sails trim, and you are left with a few minor cosmetic pieces. Tasks included catching a fish in devil's roar... So it is a boring checklist of all the things we have already done multiple times in the game.

The good rewards are at the Plunder Pass, and that seems to be one new ship/outfit, not even great looking like Splashtail or Zombie Emporium shit.

What I really wanted is new features. Like... New territories, new world-events, new mechanics, and that department of the game has been long neglected.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Plunder Pass seems kinda lame, 11 more items to unlock anlong the way for 9.99$

I'd say the better takeaway is how stuff (100 levels of stuff and tons of good stuff) is available for everyone, for free.

If you don't want to get the Plunder Pass extras within the Season then they'll just all be available to buy sperately once the Season is done. They go into the Pirate Emporium after.

Some of them are actually items from the Pirate Emporium already. From memory the Collector's version of the KI Sabrewulf figurehead and the Ruby Splashtail Outfit are both in it. The Banjo Kazooie wheel as well I think?

Needless to say, $9.99 for those 11 items is a lot cheaper than they'd be seperatly if you're the kind of person who was going to get them anyway.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Looks kinda underwhelming but I feel like it'll be good for the game once they find their feet with it.

Plunder Pass looks surprisingly unappealing with the vast majority of the seasonal battle pass being free - kind of a good thing really though!

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Needless to say, $9.99 for those 11 items is a lot cheaper than they'd be seperatly if you're the kind of person who was going to get them anyway.
yeah that's true.

I just felt kinda let down because we play this game so much and I was sure I would buy the Plunder Pass asap :D
Seasons are a great addition :)

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
What I really wanted is new features. Like... New territories, new world-events, new mechanics, and that department of the game has been long neglected.
Yeah, that's me. Amazing how each update they give goes a completely different route from what I was expecting from the game since I was an insider. What was the last big monster? Meg? Unfortunately, this is how live service games goes. You make what people playing wants, ignoring all creative things you could add.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Tasks included catching a fish in devil's roar... So it is a boring checklist of all the things we have already done multiple times in the game.

It's basically 'get renown for doing anything in the game' which, to me, sounds really good. It doesn't tie players down to very specific type of challenge to progress the Pass. What it should do, in theory, is encourage seasoned players to do all of that shit that they don't both doing anymore because they min-max every session.

I can't remember the last time my crew did a regular ass Skeleton Fort or did a fishing trip. Because we've already maxed out all of those reputations. Which is sad, in a way, because a lot of those activities are super fun. They just got left by the wayside somewhere along the way.

It's a game about making numbers go up while you hang out and have stupid adventures with friends. A whole heap of new challenges (and i mean a whole heap) with free cosmetics attached to doing... basically anything in the game... sounds like a really good move to me.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
Looks cool.. but sorta annoyed they finally added a Pirates Log and I do not think it will show logged stats.. I know many have asked for this for a while... Seems they could have included it in the log, maybe down the line.

So this is similar to the Gears 5... so its free to everyone and I like that.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it, why do people like this.
Really dislike this sort of stuff. Making me feel like I'm missing out unless I play regularly.

Obviously most people engage with this, since they're putting it in every game since what, Fortnite?
I just can't bring myself to like seasonal battle passes.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's me. Amazing how each update they give goes a completely different route from what I was expecting from the game since I was an insider. What was the last big monster? Meg? Unfortunately, this is how live service games goes. You make what people playing wants, ignoring all creative things you could add.

I think people are sick and tired of fighting the same skeleton boss in every single Event/Quest.

It is more like, what Rare can spare to implement. Constantly reshuffling the existing content and recoloring cosmetics is what constitutes the majority of SoT content updates.

It's basically 'get renown for doing anything in the game' which, to me, sounds really good. It doesn't tie players down to very specific type of challenge to progress the Pass. What it should do, in theory, is encourage seasoned players to do all of that shit that they don't both doing anymore because they min-max every session.

I can't remember the last time my crew did a regular ass Skeleton Fort or did a fishing trip. Because we've already maxed out all of those reputations. Which is sad, in a way, because a lot of those activities are super fun. They just got left by the wayside somewhere along the way.

It's a game about making numbers go up while you hang out and have stupid adventures with friends. A whole heap of new challenges (and i mean a whole heap) with free cosmetics attached to doing... basically anything in the game... sounds like a really good move to me.

But, lets say, you own millions of gold already, and there is nothing you are too interested in buying. All the haircuts and fashion pieces are just irrelevant. In that case, the video is a very disappointing announcement, because at this point, I am just no longer interested in cosmetics. Other games kind of manage to push New Reward Track + New Content Patch (whether it is a new card expansion, new heroes, new areas, new quests etc.), and I was anticipating this SoT announcement to have both :D

(Some Emporium shit is cool, but even if there are ancient coins on the reward track, it will be enough for like one piece of the ship set only)

And I know there is a new merchant quest, but that is somehow not really cutting it as the once every 3-6 months new playable content update.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
If this is it after a bunch of months of less exciting updates then I'd be quite disappointed. I play this game with friends a few times per year to meet up and have a laugh together. The whole seasonal structure wasn't made for players like me who don't play for the grind. I know the ''We need things to do!'' crowd has been wanting more content and more challenges. But I'd prefer getting meaningful content with longer droughts in between with not much content at all.

New Tall Tales, new enemy types, a new faction or new region is the type of content I'm mostly interested in. The first two years of Sea of Thieves provided that. With updates like the megalodon, the ghost ships, volcanoes, the mist and the Tall Tales campaigns.

Diddy Kong

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Although Sea of Thieves isn't for me, I'm really happy for Rare. A bunch of my IRL friends have Gamepass now and have picked up Sea of Thieves. They're absolutely loving it.

Oct 28, 2017
Incredible timing as far as Im concerned, having just redownloaded this to try and push for Legendary.

I noticed that you can buy emissary flags for the factions now, gonna try that out and see if that helps with grinding out the last rep I need.

Game looks incredible on Series X. The SSD makes a huge difference in the experience, very short loading times all around. Also noticed a bunch of other stuff being added, like I picked up a bunch more valuable stuff in the wild than I used to a year or so ago. My rowboat was brimming with odd stuff Id picked up in the short session I had yesterday.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I will never not immediately think that a game is adding in spring, summer, autumn and winter and associated weather whenever they say 'seasons' are coming to the game...

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I already have a job and I don't have plans to take a second one

Just the opposite actually. Depending on how its implemented.

The biggest pain point in Sea of Thieves has been that it feels like you need to carve out 3-4 hour sessions to get anything meaningful done. And to give you enough of a buffer to turn stuff in. I've had long play sessions where I didn't get jack shit because I had to log off and a hostile Galleon was chasing me so I couldn't turn in.

Here, you can make meaningful progress toward goals just by playing. I love this game but took a big hiatus from it. This will bring me back in.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This seems like a very fair season pass. 100 levels for free sounds good!
I wanted to revisit the game anyways, this might actually might make some friends join too.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Incredible timing as far as Im concerned, having just redownloaded this to try and push for Legendary.

I noticed that you can buy emissary flags for the factions now, gonna try that out and see if that helps with grinding out the last rep I need.

Game looks incredible on Series X. The SSD makes a huge difference in the experience, very short loading times all around. Also noticed a bunch of other stuff being added, like I picked up a bunch more valuable stuff in the wild than I used to a year or so ago. My rowboat was brimming with odd stuff Id picked up in the short session I had yesterday.

The emissary flags help immensely to the point where I felt like I was maybe cheating my way to pirate legend.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wish than the Plunder Pass gave you a full ship, so far doesnt seem that good of a deal unless the weapons or sails are REALLY good.

In the other hand, the free content looks great

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
People wanting more creative stuff need to realize that this is precisely how the game needs to make money to pay for all that stuff.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

don't forget to lower the emissary flag before going offline. You'll get a decent amount of gold and reputation for it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I wish than the Plunder Pass gave you a full ship, so far doesnt seem that good of a deal unless the weapons or sails are REALLY good.

In the other hand, the free content looks great

I think the Plunder Pass stuff is half old stuff that's already offered in the Pirate Emporium (the Banjo Kazooie wheel, the collector's KI Sabrewulf figurehead etc) and then a full new weapon set and a few other bits. Definitely not a full ship. It's basically a bundle of other odds and ends and new weapons. It's pretty minor compared to the 100 levels you get for free. Just a little extra.

Better than the Season really requiring you to pay for the Plunder Pass to make it worthwhile I think.

You can see the Plunder Pass items at 2:50 in the video...

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
This is a really good idea and I'm glad they are addressing the fact that yeah, sometimes a session can take 2 or 3 hours and it can all go down the drain because some mlg nerds that have everything in the game and only play to ruin others people fun. It fuckin blows and rewards for simply doing stuff in the game that isn't turning in loot is great.

Imma be honest if there is a season pass that I'm down for it's gonna be for Sea of Thieves. It's my wind down game.

Last edited:

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a story for this game or is it just about the loot progression?

Also, how enjoyable and feasible is 100% solo play? I've heard it's totally possible, but given the kind of game this is, is it even enjoyable?

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who doesn't know anyone playing this game. Is it worth playing solo?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Also, how enjoyable and feasible is 100% solo play? I've heard it's totally possible, but given the kind of game this is, is it even enjoyable?

Yeah, there are twelve 'Tall Tales' in the game that, roughly, plot a campaign with a story throughout the world. They're really great and that's roughly about 20 hours of content just for that.

It's totally possible to play 100% solo but you're basically playing very hard mode. You're playing Squads in Apex/Warzone but you're on your own while everyone else is in a squad of four. Everything will take longer and you need to do every activity on the ship yourself. I play a lot on my own but I've also got 2,000 hours in the game so I know what I'm doing without even thinking about it.

I would say that, if you want to play Sea of Thieves, at least try playing with others. The game is designed that way and by playing solo you're taking the 'well I guess we ought to let people play on their own' design decisions rather than what makes the game the most fun. The matchmaking in game is largely fine (you can start a ship on your own and then open up your session if you want and people will just join you) or, better yet, use the Xbox/Windows LFG tool. Put out a notice saying that you're brand new and learning the game. People will join and help.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina

There is a story that I think is pretty fun. You play through a bunch of Tall Tales that lead up to the Shores of Gold and then 2 more Tales. Each have unique exploration and puzzle mechanics as you traverse the sea to finish the tale. Honestly the game is much better with even 1 other person but it is doable by yourself (but not very optimal and many times frustrating).

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
I should really try this out, is there enough for someone to do solo?

Edit: Answered above. I will give it a shot again.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, there are twelve 'Tall Tales' in the game that, roughly, plot a campaign with a story throughout the world. They're really great and that's roughly about 20 hours of content just for that.

It's totally possible to play 100% solo but you're basically playing very hard mode. You're playing Squads in Apex/Warzone but you're on your own while everyone else is in a squad of four. Everything will take longer and you need to do every activity on the ship yourself. I play a lot on my own but I've also got 2,000 hours in the game so I know what I'm doing without even thinking about it.

I would say that, if you want to play Sea of Thieves, at least try playing with others. The game is designed that way and by playing solo you're taking the 'well I guess we ought to let people play on their own' design decisions rather than what makes the game the most fun. The matchmaking in game is largely fine (you can start a ship on your own and then open up your session if you want and people will just join you) or, better yet, use the Xbox/Windows LFG tool. Put out a notice saying that you're brand new and learning the game. People will join and help.
Oh, that's discouraging. :(

I don't do multiplayer. With my life right now, I have to pause or outright quit the game far too frequently, so it would be way too frustrating.