• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. I wonder if each collection of Tall Tales is focused on expanding a Trading Company eg. Gold Hoarders now have star reading & trap rooms to explore.

Maybe Tall Tales is time limited (like The Hungering Deep... only their mechanics live on in each trading company)
I think there is gonna be a few at launch with more to come but I'm pretty sure they are here to stay.

BuggeryBugz

Oct 29, 2017
I haven't played since launch and my main issue with it was the combat and how bare bones it was. Has much changed in terms of weapons and enemies?

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck I've been slacking on buying an X1 for this game. I ALWAYS TRUSTED YOU RARE
well if you wait long enough I am sure it will come to more devices / stores. they didn't change their studio name to "xbox game studios" for no reason. Sea of Thieves was the first MS game to be updated with the new logo too.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
i ain't fighting with someone who is drunk..

ny57t1zefsp01.jpg

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
well if you wait long enough I am sure it will come to more devices / stores. they didn't change their studio name to "xbox game studios" for no reason. Sea of Thieves was the first MS game to be updated with the new logo too.
This would be awesome but after the Game Pass on Switch rumour was debunked there's not much hope </3

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
This would be awesome but after the Game Pass on Switch rumour was debunked there's not much hope </3
well, it wasn't really debunked. just said its not near term if its true and nothing has been heard from his sources, which is not that surprising since xcloud will be needed to get the full catalog on switch and that won't start testing until late 2019. so 2020 at the earliest is not near term. so we'll see.

Stock

Oct 25, 2017
Luxembourg
Can't wait for this to hit! Sea of Thieves is such a wholly unique co-op experience and is steadfastly approaching its promised potential with each update from Rare. So glad Microsoft and Rare have stuck with the game despite its arguably rough launch along and tepid critical reception.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
I haven't played since launch and my main issue with it was the combat and how bare bones it was. Has much changed in terms of weapons and enemies?
There was a combat update to make the flow better, and it is.

There are no new weapons beside cosmetics, and honestly there probably never will be.

Ship combat has changed a lot with the magic cannonballs, and gunpowder ignition. And will change with the upgraded destruction system and harpoons and whatnot.

I'm so much looking forward for this, watched the trailer now for like 50 times.
Hmm. I wonder if each collection of Tall Tales is focused on expanding a Trading Company eg. Gold Hoarders now have star reading & trap rooms to explore.

Maybe Tall Tales is time limited (like The Hungering Deep... only their mechanics live on in each trading company)
It won't be timed exclusive, It's a story mode. There will probably be several of these in year 2

Man Resetera sleeps on this game.

Watch this blow up again

In for The Arena and Tall Tales :D
Yup, this game would be HUGE over here if it were on a another platform.

Scanna

Nov 27, 2017
The update sounds almost too good to be true. Now just give me something more to do as a pirate legend to rank up in Athena and I'll be fully back in.

Did they ever mention if the progress, exp or coins you obtain in Arena will transfer to Adventure?

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about the game's current state, but this trailer looks great! Kinda hoped for a Steam release now that Halo is on Steam though :(

BuggeryBugz

Oct 29, 2017
There was a combat update to make the flow better, and it is.

There are no new weapons beside cosmetics, and honestly there probably never will be.

Ship combat has changed a lot with the magic cannonballs, and gunpowder ignition. And will change with the upgraded destruction system and harpoons and whatnot.

I'm so much looking forward for this, watched the trailer now for like 50 times

Interesting!

I'll jump back in because this update sounds great, so hopefully it will click for me.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The update sounds almost too good to be true. Now just give me something more to do as a pirate legend to rank up in Athena and I'll be fully back in.

Did they ever mention if the progress, exp or coins you obtain in Arena will transfer to Adventure?

You can use the Arena and it's Sea Dogs company to rank up to Pirate Legend if you're not one already, so yeah, it transfers to Adventure in that sense.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
It makes no sense to play this game solo, correct?

Solo by going into random matchmaking can be decent, especially if you use LFG/Discord to find people. Solo by literally being alone on a ship? It's definitely not the way to play this game when you're new, and even when you're experienced, the solo experience is massively more difficult (which can be quite fun), but it also massacres your ability to progress in the game because Rare have elected to multiply, rather than share, rewards between crew members.

A lot of the mechanics that make Sea of Thieves work as a co-operatiev experience make it a chore to play alone. I'd not recommend it, basically.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
It makes no sense to play this game solo, correct?

It does, but only if you're pretty good at it already, imo, and it's definitely better in co-op.

As for talk of 'maybe next patch' etc, SoT, barring a fundamental character change, will never be quite what many people are looking for. More features is always good, but the spirit of the game will (hopefully) remain the same. I know I always say this, but it's really crucial and I think a lot of people don't get it, as they're not so immersed in it as regular players of the game. This isn't some 'exclusive club' deal, more that the game is built in a very idiosyncratic way, and will ideally not deviate from that.

As for the new Trading Companies, I wonder how the progress to Legend will work? Will it be 'reach 50 in any three of these companies'? That seems the fairest way.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Considering they're going more in on story elements with this patch I hope they improve the voice acting...

It's pretty obvious that the shopkeepers are just random developers.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
well, it wasn't really debunked. just said its not near term if its true and nothing has been heard from his sources, which is not that surprising since xcloud will be needed to get the full catalog on switch and that won't start testing until late 2019. so 2020 at the earliest is not near term. so we'll see.

I sincerely doubt that when platforms other than Xbox and Windows are concerned you'll get native ports of anything but a few smaller, externally developed games, titles previously planned by their newly acquired studios, and of course, Minecraft. For everything else, there's streaming, with the added benefit of tying you to the Xbox system through subscription (at least that's how I presume the xCloud will be monetized). But yeah, we'll see, things are definitely changing in interesting ways.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Considering they're going more in on story elements with this patch I hope they improve the voice acting...

They are, and again, I'm not sure that will change. There's a deliberate ramshackle quality to it all that is there absolutely by design, imo.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
As for the new Trading Companies, I wonder how the progress to Legend will work? Will it be 'reach 50 in any three of these companies'? That seems the fairest way.
Yeah, you just have to get 50 in three of the five trading companies.

I have understood that Rare has never used voice actors, only in-house voice acting. And I quite frankly like it.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Yeah, you just have to get 50 in three of the five trading companies.

I have understood that Rare has never used voice actors, only in-house voice acting. And I quite frankly like it.

Mostly true. David Tenant did some voice work for the Kinect Sports franchise. Otherwise, yeah, I believe it has all been in-house, which is great. Imagine how much that must save on production costs?

Scanna

Nov 27, 2017
You can use the Arena and it's Sea Dogs company to rank up to Pirate Legend if you're not one already, so yeah, it transfers to Adventure in that sense.
OK, so all of the loot that you get in that mode goes towards that company? Also chests and skulls? Or do you level up based on rankings, kills and whatnot?

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
OK, so all of the loot that you get in that mode goes towards that company? Also chests and skulls? Or do you level up based on rankings, kills and whatnot?
Yes. And it has exclusive cosmetics tied to that company, just like the others.
And the Hunters Call also is a new trading company, which is hunting/fishing/cooking, no idea what the missions are going to be like though.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
This line is getting me pumped for flying enemies (Giant eagles, Fenix Birds) and new monsters that can be found in the lore of the game.
Don't get comfortable on land either! New and terrifying foes arrive in Shores of Gold – figures arising from legend, packing deadly surprises. Even simple exploration comes with additional risk thanks to traps that must be carefully navigated to avoid disaster. The Sea of Thieves can be a perilous place for the unwary…
Also, I'm hoping they upgrade all of the islands with the new trap systems.

creamcake

Oct 25, 2017
This line is getting me pumped for flying enemies (Giant eagles, Fenix Birds) and new monsters that can be found in the lore of the game.

Also, I'm hoping they upgrade all of the islands with the new trap systems.

Really I'm just expecting generic captains that stand in for skeleton lords, maybe with a fancy mechanic here and there. Hard to say. Their PvE offerings can be really hit or miss.

Still pumped about this update. The wait since Shrouded Shores has been totally worth it with all this revealed. Great way to kick off the new year and speaks highly of content going forward.

Also, people, don't forget! They confirmed this update also brings pets! They don't talk about it in the mega update news, but I guess that's because they don't want the update to get mixed up in people's heads with microtransactions. I'm excited for them, though.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Really I'm just expecting generic captains that stand in for skeleton lords, maybe with a fancy mechanic here and there. Hard to say. Their PvE offerings can be really hit or miss.

Still pumped about this update. The wait since Shrouded Shores has been totally worth it with all this revealed. Great way to kick off the new year and speaks highly of content going forward.

Also, people, don't forget! They confirmed this update also brings pets! They don't talk about it in the mega update news, but I guess that's because they don't want the update to get mixed up in people's heads with microtransactions. I'm excited for them, though.
Nah, I'm fully expecting new smelly types and maybe a few unique captains, but in addition to that there will be probably more enemy types. Only time will tell :)

Also, I just realized that Arena will finally bring a game type where you can play for a short amount of time and actually gain something from it. It's going to be lovely for short PVP bursts.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
I'm really interested in this now. But can someone please let me know how the game is solo?
Hard. You have to manually operate everything yourself (Sails, map, anchor) And keep an eye out for other pirates.

Add to that the new updated destruction, your mast, wheel, anchor can all break and make life very difficult, add to that leakage on the ship and you are pretty much fucked the minute you're targeted unless you are very good or very lucky.

Solo play is hard mode for this game.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Tried out the console mouse and keyboard controls last night and all worked well. I was a bit concerned about M&KB at 30fps but it feels fine. I'll probably still use controller (I mean, I even use controller on PC when I play there) but it's nice to see that it's all very seamless.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
. I'll probably still use controller (I mean, I even use controller on PC when I play there) but it's nice to see that it's all very seamless.
yeah same. i prefer a controller for this game. probably has more to do with me being used to it but it does seem like its more designed for it. the rumble adds a lot imo.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really interested in this now. But can someone please let me know how the game is solo?

If you firmly have no intentions to ever play with friends or even join up with randoms then honestly don't bother. You can play solo and I'd say at least half of my time has been spent doing so, but there are so many clear disadvantages to it that someone who's not very familiar with the game would probably get an extremely bad impression as a result. Just off the top of my head:

- Loading up treasure and cargo takes way longer by yourself
- Ship combat is tougher since you have to man the cannons yourself while also steering the ship
- An entire region (Devil's Roar) is extremely hard to traverse alone due to constant fireballs raining down and no crewmate to help patch up the holes
- You're basically screwed if any crew of two or more decides they want your loot
- You have to take more frequent stops at outposts to drop off treasure unless you want to be robbed of a massive hoard
- Skeleton forts take forever to solo

My cannons are about to engage in some serious monkey business.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I'd like to do is get multiple crews in the same server. Or at a sloop/brig as a support vessel. No way to do that at the moment apart from luck/persuading another crew to leave....right?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
One thing I'd like to do is get multiple crews in the same server. Or at a sloop/brig as a support vessel. No way to do that at the moment apart from luck/persuading another crew to leave....right?

Correct. I imagine they don't want multiple crews taking over a sever and making it a hassle for the other players. I kinda get it.