• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Can't wait for this. Sea of Thieves is a gorgeous game already (especially in HDR), but first person games really need to be 60FPS. So glad Series X/S is bumping up the framerate.

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
Is there any split screen co-op with this game? Or any plan to implement it? My son enjoyed playing it with one of his mates for a while, but his friend is no longer playing it. Would be cool to jump in with him.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Great! I was playing this the other day and was aching for 60fps

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
If Microsoft is trying to sell it as a 1440p machine, which it is, we would expect that target in first party games, at the very least.

1080p as the target for last gen games (Sea of Thieves), doesn't bode well for 1080p as the target for games releasing in 3-4 years time. Hope I'm wrong though.
This is true until you take into account the game now runs at double the frame rates.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Wooooh!!!!, I'm not a hardcore SOT player it's more of a chillout game for me but the 30fps lock on the Xbone made it feel unplayable compared to the PC version so it'll be nice to finally have a console version that's comparable to PC.

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020
Is there any split screen co-op with this game? Or any plan to implement it? My son enjoyed playing it with one of his mates for a while, but his friend is no longer playing it. Would be cool to jump in with him.

No split screen but plays well on xCloud...just don't expect to fidget spin and take out a gally by yourself. It's mighty doable to run quests on and do some PvE'ing.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Yeah that's a good point obviously. I'm sure the machine is great, but not 1440p/120fps marketing great.
Even 120fps on Series X will be misleading marketing as very few games will actually offer that. I'm just excited frame rates are now actually getting some marketing buzz at all. The new CPU's and SSD's are going to make a world of difference in the future.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm way into this, that's a solid result, all-around. Assuming the 60 fps is stable for both Series X and S, that's gonna make a lot of players happy.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
I'm legit surprised about the concern over 1080p.
Yes the Series S was "marketed" as a 1440p machine but it's like 4K for the other consoles (starting with the PS4 Pro, actually). It's a target in "typical" conditions (whatever that means), not something that can be guaranteed at all times... And certainly not with a 60fps open world game.

That said it is a previous gen game indeed (beautiful, but still previous gen), so I guess it explains some of the concerns. Still not a big deal imo.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
I've been looking forward to this for so long, helps that it's getting them while I'm still very much into playing it.

Nov 14, 2017
Even 120fps on Series X will be misleading marketing as very few games will actually offer that. I'm just excited frame rates are now actually getting some marketing buzz at all. The new CPU's and SSD's are going to make a world of difference in the future.
Agreed. 60fps as the standard would already be awesome.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Highly demanding games running at 60fps not originally built for the system rendering at 1080p is to be expected. Give it a few years with the new tools and I'm sure 1440p will be more common.

honestly if anything I'd expect the opposite to happen, 1080p is going to be far more common than 1440p on the Series S

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
60fps is great for a game like this. Might actually play it on my XSX next year.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Do you expect them to change wording on a box everytime a developer makes a game 1440 then another does only 1080p? Get a grip.

Kabuki Waq

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man where is the footage for all these games on the next gen consoles. They are releasing next weeks thw flood gates need to open soon

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I'm looking forward to the load time improvements.

I'm not typically one to complain about loading. Long load times typically give me a chance to put the controller down for a minute, plus there are better things to be frustrated with, but Sea of Thieves on the Xbox takes sooo long to boot up. And then when it finally does hit the main menu, it takes just as long to load into the game. I'm hoping it's vastly improved.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm legit surprised about the concern over 1080p.
Yes the Series S was "marketed" as a 1440p machine but it's like 4K for the other consoles (starting with the PS4 Pro, actually). It's a target in "typical" conditions (whatever that means), not something that can be guaranteed at all times... And certainly not with a 60fps open world game.

That said it is a previous gen game indeed (beautiful, but still previous gen), so I guess it explains some of the concerns. Still not a big deal imo.
It makes zero sense. Is every PS4/Xbox One game 1080p? Is every Pro/One X game 4K? It's never worked that way, but somehow this concern only arises with the Series S.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
If it ran at 30 then it would be 1440, me thinks.
This goes against their entire marketing ethos behind the S, which was '1440p/60 fps'. We are seeing more and more 1080p or dynamic 1080p games (and even 900p/60 FPS in case of Yakuza).

I was legit considering purchasing a Series S as a cheap Game Pass machine but the cut backs are this notable even on launch day releases, it's only gonna get worse as time goes on and more demanding next-gen games release. I wouldn't be surprised if 900p/60 FPS becomes more of the norm for 'native' next-gen games as time goes on.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Would have definitely liked to see them try ray tracing in this since it has some of the best looking water out there but it sounds like a nice update regardless.

This goes against their entire marketing ethos behind the S, which was '1440p/60 fps'. We are seeing more and more 1080p or dynamic 1080p games (and even 900p/60 FPS in case of Yakuza).

I was legit considering purchasing a Series S as a cheap Game Pass machine but the cut backs are this notable even on launch day releases, it's only gonna get worse as time goes on and more demanding next-gen games release. I wouldn't be surprised if 900p/60 FPS becomes more of the norm for 'native' next-gen games as time goes on.
I really don't understand why people took the marketing of 1440p on Series S as so ironclad but don't seem to hold the PS5 and Series X, marketed as 4k/120fps, to the same standard. Like yeah, obviously not every game is going to hit the top end of what was advertised. It always seemed pretty obvious that Series S was for people with 1080p televisions and if you have a 4k TV you should be looking at the X instead.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't understand why people took the marketing of 1440p on Series S as so ironclad but don't seem to hold the PS5 and Series X, marketed as 4k/120fps, to the same standard. Like yeah, obviously not every game is going to hit the top end of what was advertised. It always seemed pretty obvious that Series S was for people with 1080p televisions and if you have a 4k TV you should be looking at the X instead.
Being 1080p only is not the entire issue either.

this is weening into unrelated discussion but we have already had examples of a prominent game with RT being dynamic 1080p (watch dogs), and then another example DMC completely omitting ray tracing from the S version.

Between that and the storage issues, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I see very little reason for anyone to get a series S outside of some extreme budgetary concerns. The series that seems like a much better proposition in pretty much every regard.

Sorry about the off topic tangent.

Last edited:

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Series S man...I'm so up and down about it, especially after seeing the PS5 de price

Need to see some next gen games to alleviate this worry

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Being 1080p only is not the entire issue either.

this is weening into unrelated discussion but we have already had examples of a prominent game with rate racing being dynamic 1080p (watch dogs), and then another example DMC completely omitting ray tracing from the S version.

Between that and the storage issues, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I see very little reason for anyone to get a series yes outside of some extreme budgetary concerns. The series that seems like a much better proposition in pretty much every regard.

Sorry about the off topic tangent.

Series S design is enough for children/casuals/second console/1080p gaming.

They don't need the bigger beastly consoles. They are way too large for someone who is gonna download some games + Fortnite/COD/Fifa etc.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Excellent - one of the games I'm most interested in trying out once Series X arrives. Just need to rope in a friend and give the game a dedicated weekend

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
Between that and the storage issues, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I see very little reason for anyone to get a series yes outside of some extreme budgetary concerns..

Well ... yeah. I mean you're right with what you say, but what I quoted here is precisely the point of this unit.
200 $/€/£ is a lot to many, many people.

Also this is pure speculation on my part, but I feel like Series S will be the first unit to benefit from price reductions and/or bundles in the near future, to make it even more affordable or interesting.
And to differentiate it better from the PS5 DE (which is even crazier value).

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft commitment to free upgrades to their games is a thing of beauty. Xbox players are in for a treat with both Xbox Series X|S.

Gatsbits

Oct 28, 2018
finally ! this game at 60fps is a thing . very hypnotic .

new Sea of thieves players playing on Series consoles will have greaaaat time !

game of the gen for me :)

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing this on PC because I prefer the framerate and the controls there but I'm excited to see how this looks.

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020
Excellent - one of the games I'm most interested in trying out once Series X arrives. Just need to rope in a friend and give the game a dedicated weekend

Highly recommend the Discord SoT server to hook up with some regulars and watching some streamers (BoxyFresh, Beardageddon are some good ones.)

Game isn't very forgiving to new players but knowing what's up before you set sail helps!

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country

When they say 1440p and 120 FPS they mean up to that. Obviously. And there are games that run at 1440p and there are games that run at 120 FPS.

It's like if I said "I just cancelled my PS5 DE pre-order because it doesn't run run all games at 8K like the box says." Yakuza has two modes on the S, btw: 1440/30 or 900/60.

The fact of the matter is we haven't seen games that run lower than 1080 on the S yet. Watch Dogs Legion with RT goes from 1440 to 1080, for example. It's funny to see people ignore Yakuza's 1440p mode because it doesn't support the narrative they try to push. And if Watch Dogs has a mode without RT, that's probably going to run at a fixed 1440p resolution.

Last edited:

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Highly recommend the Discord SoT server to hook up with some regulars and watching some streamers (BoxyFresh, Beardageddon are some good ones.)

Game isn't very forgiving to new players but knowing what's up before you set sail helps!

Oh bummer, I was just kind of hoping to go in blind. I know next to nothing about it other than its Rare, it's pretty, and general perception of it has improved a lot since launch.

Might I ask what's so unforgiving about it?

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I really hope it is more than 4k/60fps. I played this on One X and a PC and yes, the framerate at 60 is wonderful, but I think what really add's to the PC version is all the other settings being cranked up, especially the shadow quality. I know they said these are the "key" upgrades, but I kind of wished they gave us a list of all improvements. I don't understand the reason to hold this information back being that the system comes out in 6 days.

Deleted member 70824

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2020
This game is going to really shine on Xbox once 60fps and super-fast loading times arrive. It was the loading time after death which made me stop playing the game altogether, but I'm keen to jump back in when my Series S arrives.