• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

Congratulations to Rare. They've done an amazing job in keeping this game interesting and adding content. The story driven campaigns, the versus mode and the overall enrichment of the open world have really helped it.

This is one of my favorite games of the generation.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019

Congratulations to Rare. They've done an amazing job in keeping this game interesting and adding content. The story driven campaigns, the versus mode and the overall enrichment of the open world have really helped it.

I'm surprised! Not because it isn't good but the shear hate it gets makes it sound like it's only playable by people who don't know better. Congrats Rare! There really isn't anything like it.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Was still kinda surprised to not see it at the TGA. Maybe not win best ongoing game but at least being nominated.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
from the beginning of the generation I have never really found a mp game where I sunk in countless hours. Even Halo 5 which I think the arena is just fantastic didnt keep me in it for the same amount but Sea of Thieves completely changed that.

Been playing it all the time ever since the very first alpha, what was it like 1000 people max? some good times and its just amazing how much the game has changed from that alpha to 1.0 to Hungering Deep and so on. Ill be on the sea and go wherever she takes me

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved, one of the most open and communicative devs out there.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Well deserved, there's really nothing like it in terms of charm, excitement and interaction with people.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Fantastic game and well deserved award. I don't play it a lot, but I come back with friends every few weeks and it's awesome. Almost every session results in a story to tell.

Last time was two friends, three pieces of loot on deck, a skeleton ship and megaladon chasing us tearing the ship apart, and each of us grabbing one piece of loot and jumping overboard to swim to the outpost just as our boat sank pulling into harbor, Johnny Depp style :)

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
This week I was playing with three friends. We we're doing those december gift quests. After fighting of a Megalodon and a Kraken we were out of resources on our ship. We were getting close to our destination.. and suddenly a skeleton ship appears. We tried to take it down with fire bombs and by fighting on their ship. But sadly our majestic galleon sunk.

At that point we decided to split up. Two of us would stay in the water to defend our loot. After beating over 15 sharks our other two crew mates finally showed up.. side by side with an enemy ship. So we had to take our loot onto the ship amidst a galleon versus galleon sea battle.

And we won.

It was a wonderful evening.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Well deserved. Still a bummer that it was nowhere to be seen at TGA even though this year has brought some remarkable content updates to the game.

I love most of this game, but player combat drives and insane. If they would either rework the melee system, or at least add a way to raise the ladders on the ship, I'd be 100% in.

I know there are ways to prevent it, but the whole 'jump on an enemy ship and drop their anchor' is just not fun.

Having said that, it's awesome that Rare is putting so much work into this game.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I love most of this game, but player combat drives and insane. If they would either rework the melee system, or at least add a way to raise the ladders on the ship, I'd be 100% in.

I know there are ways to prevent it, but the whole 'jump on an enemy ship and drop their anchor' is just not fun.

Having said that, it's awesome that Rare is putting so much work into this game.

Heh, it's your ship. Don't let other players onto it. You've got all the power! They make a big splash noise when they surface out of the water and grab your ladder. When they're climbing the ladder they can't attack or defend. You've got all the tricks available to keep people off the ship. If, with all that, they manage to sneak on then they deserve the win.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Interesting decision to pick this game and not Total War: Warhammer 2. Very interesting.

Oct 28, 2017
Can you play this game solo and enjoy it?
It takes a time investment to build up the skills of being able to steer, navigate the map, adjust your sails for the wind and man the cannons by yourself and sometimes all at the same time. You also need to be hyper-vigilant in keeping an eye out for approaching ships when you are on an island or at an outpost when alone and docked. However, if you get a quiet server it can make for a really tranquil solo gaming experience. There are times when I hop on just to sail for a bit and fish and don't see anyone for an hour or so.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved. They've added a ton of content to the game with the anniversary content and since then.

I hope they are wanting to outdo themselves for second anniversary.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I love this game, but I never want to play it because I only play with a small group and it's hard not getting into a position where we just lost a whole lot of time doing one of those awesome quests because like... someone just sailing by decided to sink our ship while we were figuring out a puzzle or something.

They didn't even check it to see if anything of value was on it! They just fired on it from afar and kept on sailing....

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting decision to pick this game and not Total War: Warhammer 2. Very interesting.

I love me some Total Warhammer, but it's quite a bit more niche than the games it'd be going up against to where it not appearing doesn't surprise me. It's not really a game you can dip in and out of as much as the other ongoing games.

Oct 28, 2017
from the beginning of the generation I have never really found a mp game where I sunk in countless hours. Even Halo 5 which I think the arena is just fantastic didnt keep me in it for the same amount but Sea of Thieves completely changed that.

Been playing it all the time ever since the very first alpha, what was it like 1000 people max? some good times and its just amazing how much the game has changed from that alpha to 1.0 to Hungering Deep and so on. Ill be on the sea and go wherever she takes me
Out of curiosity, do you play by your self or with friends?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
This week I was playing with three friends. We we're doing those december gift quests. After fighting of a Megalodon and a Kraken we were out of resources on our ship. We were getting close to our destination.. and suddenly a skeleton ship appears. We tried to take it down with fire bombs and by fighting on their ship. But sadly our majestic galleon sunk.

At that point we decided to split up. Two of us would stay in the water to defend our loot. After beating over 15 sharks our other two crew mates finally showed up.. side by side with an enemy ship. So we had to take our loot onto the ship amidst a galleon versus galleon sea battle.

And we won.

It was a wonderful evening.
See that's crazy that stories like that can stem from this game. Not a lot of games could say that. It really is the definition of shared world experience.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
Can you play this game solo and enjoy it?

Pre-pirate legend, yes. And it still can be after. But if you're solo and carrying a lot of loot, it suuuuucks if you get sunk. There's also some stuff that is either impossible to do or very difficult solo. I pretty much play only with friends these days.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I'll just leave this here. :D

Sea of Thieves is such an incredible game.

A friend stole another crew's ship, and me and another friend remained on the same island as the crew to pretend that our ship also got stolen by another crew. We actually convinced them of this, and agreed to meet on the same island after we took our ships back.

Fast forward a bit, we meet the same people on the sea near that island. They want to form an alliance so we agree. And then we go to do a quest. We were 3, they were 2. Me and one friend went with them on the island to do the quest, while the other friend sneak up on their ship and planted an explosive barrel. As soon as we were done with the quest, he fires at their barrel and their ship gets rekt. 😀

Fast forward a bit again, we meet the same crew and they start chasing us because we betrayed them. We run to an island and notice another ship parked there. Start screaming and quickly convince that 3rd ship to going us in an alliance, lying them that the other guys were PVP-ers only and that they wanted to destroy us both. And thus they joined in and opened fire. :D

IT WAS AMAZING. CRYING OF LAUGHTER FOR AN HOUR CONSTANTLY.

Oct 28, 2017
Iv played a lot by myself, with friends and randoms but probably the most with myself and randoms/community memebers
I also find my self playing the game allot by myself, which is why i asked. I was wondering if i'm the only one lol. Ive avoided allot of the main story stuff because i just assumed they required a crew. One of my favorite gaming moments of all time was when a large crew jumped my ship while by myself and stole all my shit. But they ended up feeling bad and invited me to sail with them while my ship sank. We ended up playing all night. Such a bizarrely unique scenario that could only happen in SoT. Amazing game.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
It takes a time investment to build up the skills of being able to steer, navigate the map, adjust your sails for the wind and man the cannons by yourself and sometimes all at the same time. You also need to be hyper-vigilant in keeping an eye out for approaching ships when you are on an island or at an outpost when alone and docked. However, if you get a quiet server it can make for a really tranquil solo gaming experience. There are times when I hop on just to sail for a bit and fish and don't see anyone for an hour or so.
I didn't find that those skills needed too much time to master, maybe an hour or two. If you are diligent about checking your surroundings and changing course even when you spot very distant threats, you'll manage to stay alone the vast majority of the time (even if it will take longer to complete tasks).

I greatly enjoy it for the sense of adventure and chill experience. Visuals are fantastic as well.