• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You could still play on PVE/PVP servers. Nothing about the game would change for you.
As we discussed above, if you introduce a place for PvE you completely change the balance of the PvP population, and ruin it. Just because I want to play PvP doesn't mean I want to spend all the time in combat, which is what would end up happening.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I think it says something to me that all of my best experiences in this game come from sessions when we have never seen another ship and all the worst are from when we've encountered other players.

I don't think PVE servers are the answer, but I also don't know what the answer is, or if there is one. The fact that the game swings between an incredible experience and the biggest waste of time ever is sometimes very frustrating, especially as someone who doesn't have a lot of free time to be in front of the TV, and even less time to do it with friends.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really, they're a concession to communities who want to set up crazy custom experiences without the hours required to culltivate a server-wide alliance. There'll be plenty of PvP on them. I imagine we'll get some super fun community created PvP modes out of them! They literally say they're not intended to be PvE servers.

Ah, I see. I guess I should've read the OP. This doesn't sound like what I thought it was.

I do believe Rust has PVE servers.

Yeah see, I feel like this basically kills the argument that separate PvE servers will ruin Sea of Thieves, then. Rust is far from a failed game.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
This remains a terrible idea for this game and hopefully will never happen.
Glad you are not making decision.

Players want a PvE mode as well. I would like to play this, but I keep getting slaughtered by ships.
Yep, this is a great response. Having two different server types will split the player base and not in a good way.

The most fun part of SoT are the emergent encounters, be that a kraken, a meg, or other ships controlled by people.
Split the player base like offering "Team Death Match", "Capture the Flag" or "Death Match" all while having a single player game and an offline bots mode?

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I still don't think PVE servers are the answer, but I do believe there needs to be more in the environment that can help protect the players from threats. I always thought there should be something where you can earn a use of the Meg to come help protect your boat or something along those lines or zone you could sail to while be followed that would be equal threat to the aggressor.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Question is if Rare wants to drop their vision for the game to cater to a different audience. They did add a PvP only mode.

They'd have to rework the entire adventure mode to enable PvE though. The rewards system, the intensity of PvE elements. Like, what would progression look like on PvE? 10% of the PvPvE progression? A seperate progression system?

And would PvE only be co-op, or would there be random PvE servers. And how would that work? One ship per server?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Well I've certainly enjoyed this discussion about the Custom Servers and what unique things they'll bring to the game 😹

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I think it says something to me that all of my best experiences in this game come from sessions when we have never seen another ship and all the worst are from when we've encountered other players.

I don't think PVE servers are the answer, but I also don't know what the answer is, or if there is one. The fact that the game swings between an incredible experience and the biggest waste of time ever is sometimes very frustrating, especially as someone who doesn't have a lot of free time to be in front of the TV, and even less time to do it with friends.

I think there's a few ways to split up what they currently have:
Arena for those that are after a pure PVP challenge. What they should do is boost the amount of gold/dubloons you'd get from that mode and continue to have special cosmetics for the boat and player that can only be obtained from that mode.

Regular Sea of Thieves as it is already: allow players to continue the game as it already exists with emergent threats and other players.

A "Sea of Alliance" mode: Everyone on the server is in an "alliance" together. Its encouraged to work together with other players to do missions for alliances (which would be altered to accommodate more teams/teamwork, like each ship has a part of a riddle and they have to figure out together where a treasure is buried). PVP is still enabled but a notification pops up alerting the traitor when they attack another ship or they're marked like the Reapers and everyone on the server can go apeshit after them.
If they don't want a server wide alliance, the ability to play on your own server would be great but simply alter it so that there's more emergent threats like ghost and skelly ships, Kraken, Megalodons or a new enemy. The simple change for it regardless of if they have a private or "alliance" server is just that you'd get half gold and half rep for turning stuff in. So you still get a bit but you'd be able to enjoy things like the story etc and be able to go hunting without looking over your shoulder.

In the very least, I'd like to see the private server offer something like being able to cash in rep for the Hunters Call. That way you can go and fish to your hearts content lol
To have nothing....I don't really see the point?

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
The game has been released 2 years ago lol. The "business impact" already happened. Good luck with that.
Business impact can be positive or negative and mostly evaluated on yearly or quarterly basis. I am not saying the current community is failing to play the game or it's struggling. I'm saying that introducing more people to the game can be a positive and therefore, impacts their business.

The fact that SoT is constantly evolving is a sign that It could happen. The game is far from stagnant or confined to its current parameters.

Last edited:

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I still don't think PVE servers are the answer, but I do believe there needs to be more in the environment that can help protect the players from threats. I always thought there should be something where you can earn a use of the Meg to come help protect your boat or something along those lines or zone you could sail to while be followed that would be equal threat to the aggressor.

The game is not going to do it for you, but Rare has added in many things you can take advantage of to dissuade pursuers or aggressive crews. AI threats are of course RNG but can enter the mix too.

Tools:
  • Cursed cannonballs (especially the anchor ball, rigging ball, and peace ball)
  • Chainshot
  • Firebombs
  • Blunderballs
  • Kegs
  • Harpoons (for fast turns around rocks/islands)
Sailing towards:
  • Ghost ship fleets at islands / Flameheart
  • Active skull forts
  • Skeleton ship fleet clouds
  • Volcanoes (in the roar)
  • Sandbars at the Reaper's Hideout or uncharted islands

But also, even if you're not great at PVP - if a crew attacks you, don't just scuttle. Attempt to defend. You're not always going to be successful, but if the alternative is just losing your loot, at least try!

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
If they introduce PVE servers I feel like we would lose more players than we would gain. PVE players like to think that there are only 2 types of players, PVP and PVE players. But the majority of Players are PVEVP players. I'm sure most PVE players would label me as a PVP player but I'm not. I do a lot of PVP. But I don't think to myself I'm gonna log in and just go after players, never. I log in and start doing my PVE stuff and when I see a ship I consider attacking and more often than not I do. Most of my playtime is still PVE by far. And I think most people play the game the same way I do. Maybe they attack less, maybe they attack more.
If we get PVE servers, ONLY PVE players would be happy and PVP servers would be such a mess that I think a lot of people would quit. At that point it's better to just play Arena. It's cool that there is always a possibility of being attacked. It starts not being fun when it's basically guaranteed. Like doing any PVE content and especially stuff like FOTD would lose its fun because it would be almost guaranteed to be attacked.

On regular servers I might see a ship nearby on an island but not see him as a threat, that wouldn't happen on PVP servers and people wouldn't be able to enjoy the PVE side of the game that much, and yes most people enjoy the PVE aspect too, even the ones you would consider PVPers. I usually only turn in after an hour or 2 even though I know the risk. On a PVP server most people wouldn't do that. So I don't think even PVPers would be happy about a PVP server because there wouldn't be anything to steal (which already happens quite often in fact), and well if you're there just for the fun of sinking ships then might as well just play Arena.

Most people enjoy the game because its PVPVE. Make it PVE only and people won't like it, and this is also true for PVP only, even though PVE players like to think that this is just a crusade against PVE players but its not. Both sides are equally bad.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Well I've certainly enjoyed this discussion about the Custom Servers and what unique things they'll bring to the game 😹

I'd love to see custom rules or game types

Races across the map - slalom style or not. With 1 or more chests of sorrow aboard for extra spice
Race across the map - crews only have 5 of each type of cursed cannonball
Fort defense / king of the hill - one team defends the key, other team(s) try to take it and the treasure
Skull ball (of course)
Duels
Loot races - which crew can gather the most loot in a time limit
Fishing derby

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think the custom servers will be a fun venue for streamers. I'm more excited about what new progression options they will add in the future for the actual game.

On the secondary discussion happening in terms of PvEvP, I used to think I wanted PvE servers, but after the past three weeks of what I'd consider very heavy play, I've really changed my mind. The potential danger is a very important aspect of their overall design. I think the group I play with has only gotten into an actual encounter with other player ships two or three times that entire time. Have we seen other ships? Yup. Have we made it a point to avoid them? Yup. Our group doesn't actively engage with other players, as we're mainly there for the co-op experience. We're pretty careful and tend to plan all of our voyages around clusters of islands close to outposts, and STILL make multiple outpost trips. Greed is another major element of their gameplay. If you have more to lose, that's really on you. You have multiple ways to avoid that. Go to a single island then drop off. And while I'll never say anyone can play a game incorrectly, I do think it's fair to say there is a necessary mindset. And while I enjoy the progression, it's actually fairly frivolous. Our group just started Tall Tales a few nights ago, and while doing the first one, we were attacked while we were on the island. We didn't feel like our time was wasted at all. I snuck aboard their ship and caused some chaos, one of my friends lead the two other players on a goose chase, while my other friend quickly solved the puzzle and got what we needed. My friend who led the other two on a goose chase got killed, but then it became a rescue mission for him, as he solo piloted a boat back, while the two of us left at the island hid from the crew. Was it silly? Yup. Did it take extra time? Yup. But, my friend coming up on the opposite side of the island from where the other player ship was, us swimming out to get on it and making a high-speed getaway into a storm to ensure we weren't followed? That's the type of story I wouldn't have, and it made my experience with that Tall Tale something unique, even though the steps are rote.

This isn't even to speak of the other issues that would come from splitting into separate PvP and PvE servers, apart from what has been mentioned. They'd have to start to consider who they cater their monthly updates toward, and then one group would feel left out. They can't just cater to both every month, either, without hiring or updates feeling smaller. It'd have lots of cascading effects, for sure.

Sea of Thieves isn't really a game about progression. The progression is largely frivolous. You don't gain power. It's all cosmetic. I've gotten into the mindset that Sea of Thieves is a story generator. If I lose a cursed skull or treasure chest because I get sunk, oh well. I just don't sit around and let another player ship destroy me anymore. My mind now shifts to, well, if they're going to do this, how can I at least cause some chaos. Maybe it's getting launched at their ship from a cannon. Maybe it's sneaking aboard and blowing up some black powder crates they have in their hull. Maybe it's actually taking a powder crate onto their ship and proceeding to go out in a blaze of glory while throwing firebombs all over the place. But it certainly wouldn't be the same if all I had to worry about were skeleton pirate ships.

Last edited:

WesleyShark

Oct 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
This is a good first step, but doesn't go far enough.

Either there needs to be PVE servers, or these custom servers should allow full progression. Some people don't want to be bothered by sweat-lords. It can be infuriating trying to do tall tales while an alliance is trying to pick on you.

I personally wouldn't be mad about a Realms-like approach, like how Minecraft does. Pay a monthly fee, and you can use a private instance whenever you like, with full access to all game features and services.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
The people who go on to use these servers will cheat not only the game, but themselves. They won't grow. They won't improve. They'll take a shortcut and gain nothing. They'll experience a hollow victory. Nothing will be risked and nothing will be gained. It's sad that they won't know the difference.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I think the custom servers will be a fun venue for streamers. I'm more excited about what new progression options they will add in the future for the actual game.

On the secondary discussion happening in terms of PvEvP, I used to think I wanted PvE servers, but after the past three weeks of what I'd consider very heavy play, I've really changed my mind. The potential danger is a very important aspect of their overall design. I think the group I play with has only gotten into an actual encounter with other player ships two or three times that entire time. Have we seen other ships? Yup. Have we made it a point to avoid them? Yup. Our group doesn't actively engage with other players, as we're mainly there for the co-op experience. We're pretty careful and tend to plan all of our voyages around clusters of islands close to outposts, and STILL make multiple outpost trips. Greed is another major element of their gameplay. If you have more to lose, that's really on you. You have multiple ways to avoid that. Go to a single island then drop off. And while I'll never say anyone can play a game incorrectly, I do think it's fair to say there is a neededAnd while I enjoy the progression, it's actually fairly frivolous. Our group just started Tall Tales a few nights ago, and while doing the first one, we were attacked while we were on the island. We didn't feel like our time was wasted at all. I snuck aboard their ship and caused some chaos, one of my friends lead the two other players on a goose chase, while my other friend quickly solved the puzzle and got what we needed. My friend who led the other two on a goose chase got killed, but then it became a rescue mission for him, as he solo piloted a boat back, while the two of us left at the island hid from the crew. Was it silly? Yup. Did it take extra time? Yup. But, my friend coming up on the opposite side of the island from where the other player ship was, us swimming out to get on it and making a high-speed getaway into a storm to ensure we weren't followed? That's the type of story I wouldn't have, and it made my experience with that Tall Tale something unique, even though the steps are rote.

This isn't even to speak of the other issues that would come from splitting into separate PvP and PvE servers, apart from what has been mentioned. They'd have to start to consider who they cater their monthly updates toward, and then one group would feel left out. They can't just cater to both every month, either, without hiring or updates feeling smaller. It'd have lots of cascading effects, for sure.

Sea of Thieves isn't really a game about progression. The progression is largely frivolous. You don't gain power. It's all cosmetic. I've gotten into the mindset that Sea of Thieves is a story generator. If I lose a cursed skull or treasure chest because I get sunk, oh well. I just don't sit around and let another player ship destroy me anymore. My mind now shifts to, well, if they're going to do this, how can I at least cause some chaos. Maybe it's getting launched at their ship from a cannon. Maybe it's sneaking aboard and blowing up some black powder crates they have in their hull. Maybe it's actually taking a powder crate onto their ship and proceeding to go out in a blaze of glory while throwing firebombs all over the place. But it certainly wouldn't be the same if all I had to worry about were skeleton pirate ships.

Very well-said, especially progression being frivolous. Especially now, when gold and rep are very easy to get. What makes Sea of Thieves special is not knowing what that ship you see on the horizon is going to do. Everything else - voyages, AI threats, forts - is filler to that.

No good Sea of Thieves story is "I went to an island, dug up some loot and turned it in!" It's setting out to do that and then seeing/running into another player ship which causes you to make a detour, and then a skellie ship spawns on your pursuer and you juke through some rocks, get a broadside on your opponents, and sink them while they're distracted.

Now, within that, one crew wins and the other doesn't. But both come out with a tale.

Every session can be different because of how other players/ships on the server are going to impact your own voyages for better or worse. Everything Rare has added to the game is in service of that experience.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

On the secondary discussion happening in terms of PvEvP, I used to think I wanted PvE servers, but after the past three weeks of what I'd consider very heavy play, I've really changed my mind. The potential danger is a very important aspect of their overall design. I think the group I play with has only gotten into an actual encounter with other player ships two or three times that entire time. Have we seen other ships? Yup. Have we made it a point to avoid them? Yup. Our group doesn't actively engage with other players, as we're mainly there for the co-op experience. We're pretty careful and tend to plan all of our voyages around clusters of islands close to outposts, and STILL make multiple outpost trips. Greed is another major element of their gameplay. If you have more to lose, that's really on you. You have multiple ways to avoid that. Go to a single island then drop off. And while I'll never say anyone can play a game incorrectly, I do think it's fair to say there is a neededAnd while I enjoy the progression, it's actually fairly frivolous. Our group just started Tall Tales a few nights ago, and while doing the first one, we were attacked while we were on the island. We didn't feel like our time was wasted at all. I snuck aboard their ship and caused some chaos, one of my friends lead the two other players on a goose chase, while my other friend quickly solved the puzzle and got what we needed. My friend who led the other two on a goose chase got killed, but then it became a rescue mission for him, as he solo piloted a boat back, while the two of us left at the island hid from the crew. Was it silly? Yup. Did it take extra time? Yup. But, my friend coming up on the opposite side of the island from where the other player ship was, us swimming out to get on it and making a high-speed getaway into a storm to ensure we weren't followed? That's the type of story I wouldn't have, and it made my experience with that Tall Tale something unique, even though the steps are rote.

This is a great post.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I think you might actually bring more people in with this. I don't understand the fear. It's not like SoT has this tiny userbase and you won't have enough players for the core mode. For me personally, I rarely play the game because of the time commitment to play the normal mode. Some goofy custom games sounds really intriguing.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think you might actually bring more people in with this. I don't understand the fear. It's not like SoT has this tiny userbase and you won't have enough players for the core mode. For me personally, I rarely play the game because of the time commitment to play the normal mode. Some goofy custom games sounds really intriguing.

I don't think there's any fear about these Custom Servers. They'll be great for streamers/Thieves community players and they'll hopefully create some interesting gameplay stuff that can feed back into the main release.

The trepidation is about solely PvE servers which aren't planned but some are asking for. It's all hypothetical.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I don't think there's any fear about these Custom Servers. They'll be great for streamers/Thieves community players and they'll hopefully create some interesting gameplay stuff that can feed back into the main release.

The trepidation is about solely PvE servers which some are asking for and aren't planned. It's all hypothetical.

Oh I misread it then. Yeah I get it...although I would say it's always a balance between expanding a player base and splitting it. I thought about taking my little dude on a SoT run but feel like he might not enjoy getting jacked and losing all his treasure...so I don't. So while you might split some of your base, I feel like you could also expand it. They could always make progression rewards higher in the PvP servers to keep most of the base there.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Just blows my mind how there's a pretty big chunck of the playerbase asking for PvE-only and they're straight up not doing it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Oh I misread it then. Yeah I get it...although I would say it's always a balance between expanding a player base and splitting it. I thought about taking my little dude on a SoT run but feel like he might not enjoy getting jacked and losing all his treasure...so I don't. So while you might split some of your base, I feel like you could also expand it. They could always make progression rewards higher in the PvP servers to keep most of the base there.

Thing is - and I'm saying this with literally nothing to back it up - if the younger/mainstream crowd didn't like PvP then games like Fortnite and Siege wouldn't be the biggest games in the world. I think that the few people who are mostly calling for safe, PvE modes are probably older players who don't want to do the social thing and don't have the free time to invest in getting experienced at combat or potentially losing all of their loot.

Might be misreading this but that's how it feels to me? Every time I get matched with kids in the game they wanna fuck about and go and mess with other players. It's always the older folk who are grumbling about griefing and just want to sail and be chill.

It's a social game by design. It's always been designed that way and Rare have only leaned into the social sides of it as they've evolved the game. Alliances, speaking trumpet, FOTD, Emissaries etc. I get that some aren't into online social stuff but it just strikes me as super weird to be so adamant about an online only multiplayer game changing how it's designed because a handful of people wanna play on their own.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

The emissary system is supposed to encourage players that want higher return/risk/pvp to engage other emissary ships, but in a way that doesn't divide things into specific servers. If players use the system the way it's intentioned, emissary ships would be what PVPers target, leaving other ships (which have lower potential for loot and no XP gain to sink) alone. You can even see how many emissary ships there are on your server before leaving the outpost so you can see if that server is what you want or not.

Of course, some players will just want to sink other boats and not pay attention to that. I see plenty of ships sink fresh spawns at outposts and somehow think they've achieved a great victory. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ But I do believe that the seas are probably safer for ships not running emissary flags.