• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
That's -insane- how similar it looks. I mean, holy shit.

It looks like they straight up stole assets then turned the quality down (I'm not saying that's what they actually did, but it just looks that way).

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Geez..... at least do a different art style if you're going to clone a game...

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Agreed that stylistically they wear their inspirations on their sleeves, but it looks nowhere near as good as Sea of Thieves does (which is of course to be expected and totally fine, given it is an indie game). Sea of Thieves has some of the best stylized graphics I have ever seen, with the sea and storms especially looked incredible.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haha what has this dev done before

a low budget rip off if i ever saw one

looks like sea of thieves - north korea edition

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil

store.steampowered.com

Blazing Sails on Steam

Fight for survival in Blazing Sails, a fast-paced pirate PvP game! Create your own unique pirate and ship. Band together with other players to command your mighty vessel! Explore different game-modes, maps, weapons, ship types and more while eliminating other crews in epic battles on land and sea!

Theres a stream going on on the Steam page

Vaizard

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't mind people taking inspiration from games. But I really dislike it when things are this close. Just doesn't feel right.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
In my eyes, all first person based pirate games are a riff on Battlefield: Pirates.

But yeah, should have gone with a different style altogether.

Oct 27, 2017
- I want to play Sea of Thieves
- We have Sea of Thieves at home
- Sea of Thieves at home:

I don't mind. Fuck it, ripoff or not, if it improves on anything/create a new game-mode, then why shouldn't I play it?

Also, what is the next Sea of Thieves update?

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
It's one of those copies which seems so cynical that even in places that Sea of Thieves doesn't do a good job they've copied it anyway.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
cease_mockup_3.png

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sea of Thieves should've been a BR game from the start, imo.

I disagree, for me the best thing in Sea of Thieves is never knowing when you will find someone, making the encounters feel special all the time. In a BR game you are supposed to find someone and kill them all the time making those encounters not so cool

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I'm really curious what will come of this. There's taking inspiration and then there's this. Is there any legal precedent for this one way or the other?

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Sea of Thieves should've been a BR game from the start, imo.
I wouldn't mind a BR mode in SoT but def shouldn't be the main focus. Also SoT combat is still really bad, I would not want any serious PvP modes in the game until they make combat better which at this point I doubt.

Sota4077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well. Obviously there was one Microsoft exclusive that was a major impact this generation. Haha.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Fuck this, it sounds cliche'd as fuck, but damn they shouldn't be able to get away with this. This is blatantly stealing, literally.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Total Sea of Thieves rip-off in many ways, but will give it a shot. So long as it brings something new to the table, I'm cool with it.

I'm curious what the point of going to the islands is? Or do you start on the islands and then find your ship?

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Lol. They even copied the clunky combat.

They missed one thing though, Sea of Thieves has soul and atmosphere.

Oct 27, 2017
Still probably better than Skull and Bones.

Ain't nobody is going to play AC ships - the multiplayer. It was fine as a mini-game in the single-player game. Ship-controlling is not going to happen...

Now if they manage to salvage it into something closer to character-teamwork based gameplay (5 players per ship)... The game is definitely going through reworks and changes of priority, so either a full campaign mode or the complete gameplay revamp from what they pitched previously.

Jun 22, 2018
Wow. That is unbelievably similar. Even if they have a cool new take on pirate ship battles, I'll never be able to see it as more than a sea of Thieves rip off.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What if this is just a long con, and the real intent is to make a fully pirate-themed Fortnite season happen

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind a BR mode in SoT but def shouldn't be the main focus. Also SoT combat is still really bad, I would not want any serious PvP modes in the game until they make combat better which at this point I doubt.

But there's already a BR-like mode in SoT, it's called Arena and have been on the game since last year.

Inti

Nov 20, 2017
From what I've heard it's ok, meaning it doesn't seem to be anything exceptional.

But, honestly, this looks like an infringement. It could in my opinion be confused with Sea of Thieves, it could tarnish the brand or cause people to buy it thinking it is the same game?
Do you think this kind of copying should be allowed, legally? Should MS take some.action or this should be allowed? I don't know, I want to know your opinion on the matter, have a discussion about it? I mean, even the discussion here has been entirely upon the fact.

OP
OP
Rocketz

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
It's one thing to be inspired by something and make your version, this just feels like one of those mobile knockoff games.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I am shocked at the extent of the rip off. I mean, from the map to first person animation style, it's so incredibly blatant. I get that games can draw on inspiration from others but this seems like... a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Its quite disappointing really because being able to put all of this together as an indy team, they must have quite a bit of talent behind them. To waste it on a clone of Sea of Thieves is just disappointing to see.

With that said, I could be wrong but I don't see it as being illegal as some are suggesting. Just look at the mobile space and you'll see this is actually really common. So long as they haven't directly copied anything (code, assets etc), it's probably fine.