• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Still need to play Pirate's Life, but love seeing the success. After all the commentary when it came out, to see it be up there as one of the most played Xbox games ever is damn cool to see.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I also think it's a huge deal if SoT has outsold Donkey Kong Country or Goldeneye. The latter two were Rare's best selling games for over 20 years, with DKC at 9 million and Goldeneye at 8 million. If the game has sold 5 million on Steam alone, then it could easily be over 9 or 10 million across all platforms. I think to have Rare finally do better than those games after all this time (and especially after all the doom and gloom about the company from fans) is a big deal and should be noteworthy.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic game so not that surprising. Plays well on streams too, and the way it's designed it's basically just endless. You can pretty much play until you're seasick over and over again.

It honestly reminds me most of the OG Day Z that way, but obviously like a million times more polished and the ship mechanics are simple but addicting and make for a fun co-op play.

Dec 2, 2021
That's pretty impressive, especially with it being a fairly late release from what I recall. Hopefully it's success leads to more free form, multiplayer games getting made.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Nice. I didn't expect those numbers at all on steam alone. Those numbers explain why Microsoft and Sony are like...

🙂😉

Explanation:
  • Microsoft released games before Xbox on PC
  • Sony published a game on PC in 2015 and had the subsidiary Sony Online Entertainment, which published games like EverQuest or Planetside until 2005 when SOE got sold iirc.
I wonder what the total amount of copies sold across all platforms is? I've never understood why they don't bother telling us.
Because most people don't put them into context. As harsh as it sounds.

Let's say for example you have a sequel to a 5 million copies sold game and it only sells 3 million... I can already read the stories online... But what if the sequel had lower development cost, lower marketing budget or simply sold more DLC/MTX or the 3 million copies were sold at a higher average price? It could be that the sequel is more successful, despite selling less.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice to see numbers posted and I am happy to hear when a developers sold a lot of copies like Rare here obviously did. But with copies sold alone we'll never be able to determine exactly the success of a game in itself or compared to sequels/prequels or other games. I think that's one of the reasons MS usually simply doesn't care.

Last edited:

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
It's honestly staggering how this game just keeps quietly chugging along. Like... this game didn't even come out day and date on Steam with the other releases, it's "free" on Game Pass, and it still managed 5 million sales on this one platform.

When I look back at how threadbare it was when it came out despite how promising aspects of it undoubtedly were, it's honestly incredible. Especially when it's not some game that's constantly in the news and popular conversation like your Fortnites and CoDs and so on.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Because most people don't put them into context. As harsh as it sounds.

Let's say for example you have a sequel to a 5 million copies sold game and it only sells 3 million... I can already read the stories online... But what if the sequel had lower development cost, lower marketing budget or simply sold more DLC/MTX or the 3 million copies were sold at a higher average price? It could be that the sequel is more successful, despite selling less.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice to see numbers posted and I am happy to hear when a developers sold a lot of copies like Rare here obviously did. But with copies sold alone we'll never be able to determine exactly the success of a game in itself or compared to sequels/prequels or other games. I think that's one of the reasons MS usually simply doesn't care.

I'm mostly curious about how the game has sold compared to other Rare games. That's why I wish we would know the total amount sold.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I'm mostly curious about how the game has sold compared to other Rare games. That's why I wish we would know the total amount sold.
I hear you and can understand that. I like Nintendo approach with their website and shamelessly showing all sales data. Even Wii U and Wii U software data. Meanwhile Sony picks and chooses and Microsoft... Well, they act like Microsoft xD

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I hear you and can understand that. I like Nintendo approach with their website and shamelessly showing all sales data. Even Wii U and Wii U software data. Meanwhile Sony picks and chooses and Microsoft... Well, they act like Microsoft xD

Yeah, and it's not like there's anything for Rare or Microsoft to be embarrassed about with SoT's sales figures. It has 5M on Steam ALONE, so it's possible that this might be Rare's #1 bestseller when you consider the other versions of the game. It's not like there's much reason to hide. :p

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
In other news: FFVIIR sold 50k on EGS making it the best japanese game launch on the store by 8800%. The previous record holder was Neo TWEWY which is expected to reach 100 copies sold by the end of the fiscal year. After analyzing SoT sales SE decided to extend the excusivity deal with Epic and delay the launch of the 80€ Steam version to 2023 which is now confirmed to release soon after Part 2 for PS5 and a free EGS FFVIIR giveaway. SE also confirmed character display feature for Steam.

Congrats to SoT.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
In other news: FFVIIR sold 50k on EGS making it the best japanese game launch on the store by 8800%. The previous record holder was Neo TWEWY which is expected to reach 100 copies sold by the end of the fiscal year. After analyzing SoT sales SE decided to extend the excusivity deal with Epic and delay the launch of the 80€ Steam version to 2023 which is now confirmed to release soon after Part 2 for PS5 and a free EGS FFVIIR giveaway. SE also confirmed character display feature for Steam.

Congrats to SoT.
You've gotta be kidding me if this is true.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this is the most successful game by MS ever (beside Minecraft).

This is an odd comment. You think that MS's second most successful game only sold 5 million copies?

Here's one for you. Kinect Adventures sold 25 million copies on the 360 and is 38th on the all time list. :)

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Even in very early builds you could tell they had the bones to make something special. It's a shame it didn't launch with the content it needed because I think those numbers would be even higher but it was a learning experience for rare. Glad they got to make their pirate game and it's done incredibly well.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
o
This is an odd comment. You think that MS's second most successful game only sold 5 million copies?

Here's one for you. Kinect Adventures sold 25 million copies on the 360 and is 38th on the all time list. :)

It's not odd. Microsoft themselves stated it was the most successful game of the Xbox One generation.

Also, it's 5 million on steam. I'm sure they sold a lot more on Xbox, received Game Pass subs, and maybe even a few copies on the windows store. And game sales are not the only measure of success.

This is an ongoing game that will live on as long as people are playing it. The game has micro transactions and who knows what else to keep making money.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
they need to sell as much as they can before Skull and Bones comes and takes all their players

or what was the name of the weekly SoT killer again

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like not much is said about this game but it quietly ticks away through word of mouth.

I was on Twitch the other day and there were thousands of people watching a stream of a virtual snow globe so they could unlock some little trinket in game or something. Mad.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I should've elaborated, sorry!

I am mainly interested in roaming the seas and doing the occasional PvP. What I'd hoped for would've been PvE type content with more elaborate "dungeons" that you'd find in the islands.
Pull up the ship map and look for the Tall Tale icons (or look them up in your menu UI there is 16/17.) Alternatively look for a Sunken Kingdom Quest on the ship map/speak to Larinna outside the tavern or pick up a Vault quest at the Gold Hoarder at any outpost, here is a list of everything they have added : https://www.resetera.com/threads/se...eported-number-of-20-million-in-march.502785/

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
It's a well made and immersive world, and it doesn't require commitment. It's so chill while also it can be full on anxiety mode when doing pvp, but even then the PVP stuff is just fun and there isn't ton of risk involved.

The not having to deal with leveling, progression, end game, or any type of gating is so great.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft themselves stated it was the most successful game of the Xbox One generation.

They said most successful new IP if I'm not mistaken. So games like Halo and Forza Horizon are likely more successful.

Still, I think when they announced that over 15 million players had played Sea of Theives. I can imagine it being even more now. Can't wait for Skull and Bones to kill this game any time now.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
And interestingly this game rarely (see what I did there) gets spoken about when people are selling Xbox to folk, it's always Halo/Forza/Gears.

Never played, but some of that streams I've watched are downright hilarious at times.
They usually don't mention Minecraft, either. Nor do they talk about Microsoft casual games, which probably has higher engagement than any core franchise every single month: Solitaire is a juggernaut and it's not even MS Casual's only perpetual hit. It's always interesting to see how the silos get delineated and play out, for better and worse.

Oct 27, 2017
They usually don't mention Minecraft, either. Nor do they talk about Microsoft casual games, which probably has higher engagement than any core franchise every single month: Solitaire is a juggernaut and it's not even MS Casual's only perpetual hit. It's always interesting to see how the silos get delineated and play out, for better and worse.

Indeed, Xbox has no games etc.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
Can somebody give me an overview of what they've added after a year of release. Last I looked into it, the game looked really boring as all there was to do was kill skeletons and find treasure and repeat? Is there more meat to the game now?

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Can somebody give me an overview of what they've added after a year of release. Last I looked into it, the game looked really boring as all there was to do was kill skeletons and find treasure and repeat? Is there more meat to the game now?

Core game is the same but they did add a lot.

Tons of cosmetic options. Several Tall Tales which are PvE content missions, can be several hours of play to go through all of them, they just added earlier this year 5 Pirates of the Caribbean tales for example. The game is not focused on those but they are nice little single player/coop content to run through with story and such. Several different in game events. They've expanded enemy types, crab dudes, ghosts, spooky boats, evil sirens, weird crustacean dudes. You got the underwater kingdom missions. Various systems expanded upon, the seasons battle pass like system. Being able to bury your own treasure and make maps for other players.

It's simple but it's the simplicity that helped them make the game so good at what it does. You don't feel compelled to have to do content, to chase any carrot on sticks. It's clearly a game though that helps to have folks to play with, as with a couple of buds it's just insanely fun since you have to work as a team to properly sail and do activities.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Killing skeletons and finding treasure is still core to the game.

emissary system and ranking allows for some meta progression and increases the risk/reward of your voyages.
Tons of tall tales which are more story driven voyages, including Pirates of the Caribbean content some of which can be done fully solo without interference.
new areas of the map like the volcanic region and the underwater siren temples
New enemies like ocean crawlers and sirens
Plunder pass which is now fully "refundable" when you reach the max level
Fishing
Burying treasure and generating maps that others can follow (user generated content)

Probably missing a ton too

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty great considering the game wasn't even available on Steam at the outset. Wondering how many sales it's had on the Windows Store.

I have to say that I was astonished by the PotC content. I figured that it was just going to focus exclusively on the films, but they were also a love letter to the ride that featured elements that made me and my friends erupt into squeals of delight at certain points as Disney Parks fans. It's not often you hear the voice of Paul Frees in a modern video game.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
Core game is the same but they did add a lot.

Tons of cosmetic options. Several Tall Tales which are PvE content missions, can be several hours of play to go through all of them, they just added earlier this year 5 Pirates of the Caribbean tales for example. The game is not focused on those but they are nice little single player/coop content to run through with story and such. Several different in game events. They've expanded enemy types, crab dudes, ghosts, spooky boats, evil sirens, weird crustacean dudes. You got the underwater kingdom missions. Various systems expanded upon, the seasons battle pass like system. Being able to bury your own treasure and make maps for other players.

It's simple but it's the simplicity that helped them make the game so good at what it does. You don't feel compelled to have to do content, to chase any carrot on sticks. It's clearly a game though that helps to have folks to play with, as with a couple of buds it's just insanely fun since you have to work as a team to properly sail and do activities.

Killing skeletons and finding treasure is still core to the game.

emissary system and ranking allows for some meta progression and increases the risk/reward of your voyages.
Tons of tall tales which are more story driven voyages, including Pirates of the Caribbean content some of which can be done fully solo without interference.
new areas of the map like the volcanic region and the underwater siren temples
New enemies like ocean crawlers and sirens
Plunder pass which is now fully "refundable" when you reach the max level
Fishing
Burying treasure and generating maps that others can follow (user generated content)

Probably missing a ton too

Thanks, it's too bad it still doesn't seem like my kind of game as I'm the kind of person who likes interacting with a variety of mechanics and stats that breaks up monotony of doing a similar loop over and over (Destiny bored me with a burning passion).

But it's good that they're putting stuff in there to keep people who love the game interested and pull in new players.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017