• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I tried it once for about 10 minutes, but then never again. Hey, I still counted in their 10 million player total though!

Maybe I should try the game again though. My GamePass still has another year or so left, I might get around to it.

10 minutes? Is that enough time to leave the starting outpost?

They recently added a new tutorial flow - called "Maiden Voyage." If you've not played in a while it is worth the refresher course - press X on the game's main menu (where you're selecting adventure or arena) to start it. It's a lot better starting tutorial and lets you explore an island offline at your own pace before joining the shared world.

Last edited:

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
If only their community management team treated their user base better. Their forum rewards/encourages people who tout the part line and parrot official messaging. Anyone who is critical of aspects of the game are on a short ropes. I accidentally self edited a swear word with asterisks (used perhaps unwisely as an adjective for emphasis), and because it got picked up as "circumventing the language filter" I was immediately banned. My self edited word contained less characters than if their language filter had auto edited it. When I put in a support ticket, I was told that they reserve the right to ban anyone at anytime for any reason and that there was no further action that I could take.

The SoT userbase is extremely defensive of the game and that has been true since the alpha. Naturally some of the most extreme/sensitive/defensive fans/superfans got moderator privileges...

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
One of the most innovative AAA game this gen.

Congrats Rare !

Everwild will be big ! And can't wait for the future of Sea of thieves

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Anyone who is critical of aspects of the game are on a short ropes. I accidentally self edited a swear word with asterisks (used perhaps unwisely as an adjective for emphasis), and because it got picked up as "circumventing the language filter" I was immediately banned. My self edited word contained less characters than if their language filter had auto edited it. When I put in a support ticket, I was told that they reserve the right to ban anyone at anytime for any reason and that there was no further action that I could take.

Surely it's all about stamping out the toxicity and entitlement that many revolve around many gaming communities, trying to foster a positive and inclusive space for people to enjoy playing a game in and talking about the game.

Now this may not be the case, but It sounds as if you were being citical AND need to use swear words to emphasize things, perhaps seems like exactly the type of behavior that isn't really welcomed by anyone.
Reminds me of someone I worked with once who would be always preface anything mean, offensive or quite frankly rude with "i'm just being honest"

or "with all due respect"

Scarlet0Pimp

Feb 4, 2018
Been playing recently with my son, has added alot since I last played it early last year. Has been very fun

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Surely it's all about stamping out the toxicity and entitlement that many revolve around many gaming communities, trying to foster a positive and inclusive space for people to enjoy playing a game in and talking about the game.

The thing is there is a preference for delusional positivity over grounded and constructive criticism. It's an echo chamber through and through. It's probably not really an issue any more but in the alpha period the lack of honesty and general sycophancy from a lot of the 'fans' lead to very distorted feedback being given. While a scant few posters were clearly very aware of the game's shortcomings and how it would be received come launch, they were too often drowned out by the super fans, a number of whom were given special status and privilege within the community.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm one of the people who has jumped into Sea of Thieves recently thanks to ghostcrew . It's surprisingly a ton of fun. We fought a megalodon alone on our first play session.

I'll have to warn anyone who plays with B-Dubs though as he tried to set our ship on fire.

Congrats, Rare and MS. From the coverage I've read, they've really done an excellent job supporting it.

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
This is incredible to see. As someone who played at launch and walked away disappointed, they have certainly turned this game around. Good for them.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

Now this may not be the case, but It sounds as if you were being citical AND need to use swear words to emphasize things, perhaps seems like exactly the type of behavior that isn't really welcomed by anyone.
Reminds me of someone I worked with once who would be always preface anything mean, offensive or quite frankly rude with "i'm just being honest"

Bingo. My experience has been that when someone is telling you how they "technically" weren't swearing when they were swearing in a negative post, and they catch moderation for it, the problem probably isn't a community won't listen to criticism. Especially with how comfortable people seem (generally) with criticism around SoT. It's been the whole basis of its growth, from fire to curses to the story events.

My guess is the person doesn't realize how toxic they really were coming across, which can be an honest mistake, but moderation is still legit.

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I'm one of the people who has jumped into Sea of Thieves recently thanks to ghostcrew . It's surprisingly a ton of fun. We fought a megalodon alone on our first play session.

I'll have to warn anyone who plays with B-Dubs though as he tried to set our ship on fire.

Congrats, Rare and MS. From the coverage I've read, they've really done an excellent job supporting it.
It was one time. What about the time I shot the shark in the face with the canon before it killed us all? No one ever mentions that?

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what you expect to do offline? Almost all the content requires other players in some form or another. I guess they could add a non-pvp flag to some "servers" to make sure players can only fight skellies and sea monsters instead of others?
Couldn't you do everything but swap out other players with AI characters and ships?

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't you do everything but swap out other players with AI characters and ships?

To be honest I don't really agree with their premise anyway. You can play Sea of Thieves solo and I've frequently had voyages where I barely interacted with humans. It's not the best way to play but it's not like the game doesn't work.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019

The thing is there is a preference for delusional positivity over grounded and constructive criticism. It's an echo chamber through and through. It's probably not really an issue any more but in the alpha period the lack of honesty and general sycophancy from a lot of the 'fans' lead to very distorted feedback being given. While a scant few posters were clearly very aware of the game's shortcomings and how it would be received come launch, they were too often drowned out by the super fans, a number of whom were given special status and privilege within the community.
Well you know the old saying, if you've got nothing good to say..

I think there is a big difference of construcrive criticism and just always trying to throw negativity.

10 minutes? Is that enough time to leave the starting outpost?

They recently added a new tutorial flow - called "Maiden Voyage." If you've not played in a while it is worth the refresher course - press X on the game's main menu (where you're selecting adventure or arena) to start it. It's a lot better starting tutorial and lets you explore an island offline at your own pace before joining the shared world.

Good, I need to try and get back into this.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its quite simply the best game I've played since L4D and Halo 3 for generating stories and tall tales based on what the player does in the game. I couldn't count the number of times I've had tears running down my face cause I've been laughing so much.

Really is a game unlike any other.

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
yarrr yeet

Love this game. I play it with my wife, brother, sister-in-law, my 2 cousins (their dad just got the game too), and more.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
If they would just let me opt out of PvP I would play so much more of this game. It would be so awesome if SoT gets a big update when Series X launches that includes a single-player mode.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest I don't really agree with their premise anyway. You can play Sea of Thieves solo and I've frequently had voyages where I barely interacted with humans. It's not the best way to play but it's not like the game doesn't work.
But I don't want it to just work, the game and setting is all awesome, I just want to be cut off from the online aspect of it all; same game but with AI crew, AI pirates, treasures, exploration, a story, etc.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Well you know the old saying, if you've got nothing good to say..

I think there is a big difference of construcrive criticism and just always trying to throw negativity.

There is, and there's also a difference between supporting a game and suppressing criticism of it.

The same phenomenon occurred here frankly, in the big Sea of Thieves threads running up to launch.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
But I don't want it to just work, the game and setting is all awesome, I just want to be cut off from the online aspect of it all; same game but with AI crew, AI pirates, treasures, exploration, a story, etc.

Sorry, maybe I was unclear, I understand what you're looking for and disagree with the person you were responding to. Aside from the AI crew Sea of Thieves pretty much is what you're looking for, if you could guarantee you were on an empty server.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
A friend and I re-downloaded a few weeks ago having not played since launch. We did two meandering "quests" that involved finding some vague treasure that we dropped off for little reward. That took about two hours of sailing the barren seas and getting harassed by idiots intensely role playing.

Then we spent 40 minutes "fighting" a kraken and eventually died + lost our second batch of treasure.

I love the art and visuals but it still feels like such a barren experience, and I'm really not one for games that explicitly demand you make your own fun and offer very little in the way of a structure through which to make said fun.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, maybe I was unclear, I understand what you're looking for and disagree with the person you were responding to. Aside from the AI crew Sea of Thieves pretty much is what you're looking for, if you could guarantee you were on an empty server.
But can I sail a bigger ship by myself? And are there AI ships to battle?
I guess I basically want Black Flag without Assassin's Creed, if that makes any sense lol ;)

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
If only their community management team treated their user base better. Their forum rewards/encourages people who tout the part line and parrot official messaging. Anyone who is critical of aspects of the game are on a short ropes. I accidentally self edited a swear word with asterisks (used perhaps unwisely as an adjective for emphasis), and because it got picked up as "circumventing the language filter" I was immediately banned. My self edited word contained less characters than if their language filter had auto edited it. When I put in a support ticket, I was told that they reserve the right to ban anyone at anytime for any reason and that there was no further action that I could take.

I love SoT, and I think Rare created a great game, but it's really sad that they treat their users so poorly on their main site. I know that there are quite a few players in the same boat, basically Rare wants their official forum to be like PR space, developers rarely participate in community discussions anymore, and they've outsourced a lot of the community responsibilities to unpaid fans (deckhands). The paid community management team seems completely detached from the rest of the community, and basically just serves to follow the draconian rules that are put in place, rather than considering the issues raised by community members.
I dealt with you on the pioneer subforums and you insisted i was a desperate fan trying to earn a job at rare thru praising the game all because i happened to have a different opinion than you on an upcoming feature & refusing to just call it trash like you were, and in the OT on this forum you complained people were "slot machine addicts" because they didnt share your views, so forgive me if i dont buy the "im so innocent and its the mean community teams fault" bullshit

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I guess I basically want Black Flag without Assassin's Creed, if that makes any sense lol ;)

Ubisoft's Skull & Bones will scratch that itch, and we should hear more about that game at some point this year.

Many people in the SoT community have asked for private servers and I do expect at some point Rare will offer it - but as with other multiplayer games that offer private servers it wouldn't surprise me to see a cost associated with that. A lot of the game's unique flavor comes from other real players being in the world and how you and they act in the face of that. Remove other players and the cracks in the simplistic combat, zero AI, and repetitive nature of the faction quests only gets underlined. (And I say this as someone who has played the game for over 2,000 hours. I love the game, but...offline it would lose a lot.)

Oct 29, 2017
I dealt with you on the pioneer subforums and you insisted i was a desperate fan trying to earn a job at rare thru praising the game all because i happened to have a different opinion than you on an upcoming feature & refusing to just call it trash like you were, and in the OT on this forum you complained people were "slot machine addicts" because they didnt share your views, so forgive me if i dont buy the "im so innocent and its the mean community teams fault" bullshit

Not sure what specific comments you are citing, but I talked a lot about how the end-game was basically structured no differently than a f2p game or a game like WoW. They encourage a small subset of users to be as engaged as possible. Whatever, comment I made was likely not directed specifically at you, but rather making a larger point about how the most engaged SoT users are not very happy people. The SoT endgame is really no different from a game like WoW, where people are logging in every day and finding the most efficient way to grind out the most productivity through menial tasks. In that way, at least when I played the game, most PL Athena 10s (myself included) were not exactly enjoying the game, they were just playing it because the gameplay was designed to be addicting. In my view, the end game is totally antithetical to the mission statement expressed repeatedly in the alpha to make the game as accessible to all as possible. SoT was peak fun when new and diverse audiences were playing the game. I played with people from all over the world, parents who bought the game to play with their children, people with disabilities. Now the game is just sharks and angry people trying to grind commendations as quickly as possible.

Regarding what specifically I was banned for. I remember that it was the result of criticism I had for the volcano projectiles in Devils Roar. It was basically an uphill battle explaining to people how the mechanic actually worked, because a subset of the community couldn't suspend their disbelief/fantasy enough to recognize that it was a mechanic that functioned in a specific way with a very clear set of rules that just protracted gameplay sessions in a way that was entirely random and did not involve player skill.

Again, the post that I was banned for was like one word in a three paragraph thread that I started. In which I called the volcano projectiles a "sh**ty" mechanic and expounded on it, in a clear and concise way that was not trolling. In hindsight, yes I recognize that I shouldn't have written the word at all. The thread that I was banned for received a lot of upvotes, and clearly a lot of community members agreed with it. However, I was warned, and then subsequently banned the next day for the same post that I was warned for. For "circumventing" the language filter. Even though my self-edit was almost identical to the edit that would have taken place if picked up by the language filter.

I guess my larger point is that the official SoT forum was a great place and experiment by Microsoft and Rare in the alpha. Unfortunately now, it's super obvious that Rare designed that place through UI and flair incentives to be free unpaid labor promoting the positive aspects of the game. Obviously it's an official forum, and you wouldn't expect it to be full of negative feedback, but post-launch the developers basically abandoned the forum.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I guess my larger point is that the official SoT forum was a great place and experiment by Microsoft and Rare in the alpha. Unfortunately now, it's super obvious that Rare designed that place through UI and flair incentives to be free unpaid labor promoting the positive aspects of the game. Obviously it's an official forum, and you wouldn't expect it to be full of negative feedback, but post-launch the developers basically abandoned the forum.

I disagree, I do think that the developers pay attention to issues raised on the forums and are always trying to better the game. The issue with the official forum now (and the Reddit, and most extended talk about this game) is that the same points are continually raised day after day that don't have an answer or aren't an invitation for a response. They are more like demands: Add a new area with snow. Give us private servers. Fix double gunning. Add this cursed chest. Idea for a new boat. I got spawn killed, do something. I want to name my ship. Where is the captaincy update, Rare? I can't find the Shrouded Ghost. I want a cat/lizard/dog/crab for a pet. I am Athena 10 give me something to do. Remove PVP pls. This game is toxic because I got sunk once. Why can't I buy levels. And with that kind of (frankly) noise it becomes more difficult for someone on the development team to actively participate in those conversations other than attempting to address practical concerns in the form of meaningful updates to the game.

There are almost certainly people at Rare whose job it is is to go through the forums and collate feedback into something actionable. I'd rather the devs spend time making great content/improvements to the game and not spend time going round and round ad nauseam on the forums with users. Other people on the forum do that plenty themselves. When I made a post suggesting it would be nice to be able to buy an empty storage crate with gold at a starting outpost I got attacked as that would be "pay to win." So... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A friend and I re-downloaded a few weeks ago having not played since launch. We did two meandering "quests" that involved finding some vague treasure that we dropped off for little reward. That took about two hours of sailing the barren seas and getting harassed by idiots intensely role playing.

Then we spent 40 minutes "fighting" a kraken and eventually died + lost our second batch of treasure.

I love the art and visuals but it still feels like such a barren experience, and I'm really not one for games that explicitly demand you make your own fun and offer very little in the way of a structure through which to make said fun.

Do the tall tales. It's very clever puzzles and something very unique to gaming. The 3 boss fights you have through the 10 current tales in the game kinda suck but other than that they are great. Awesome sense of story and adventure.

Don't expect too much gold though.

It's funny, there are so many other activities to do in the game I can't remember the last time I did a proper voyage.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Out of interest, Sea of Thieves fans, d'you think Sea of Thieves will get a sequel at some point?

After launch I'd have said it was a definite no, it had all the hallmarks of a game that burned its hype and wouldn't get another shot. Now though the game has managed to recover quite a bit and while the game's audience isn't huge it has broadly stabilised. Obviously in the short term SoT is a GaaS and there is no reason to create a new game, but in the longer term there are so many areas where Sea of Thieves could be easily improved which they don't seem to be able to fix in the context of the original game. They must have learned so much from this release - a sequel would give them the opportunity to make good on a lot of the potential which, for me, still hasn't been realised.

There are AI ships to battle now, yes, as well as AI beasties like the kraken and megalodon.

You can technically sail any ship with any size of crew but it is very onerous :P

Last edited:

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Out of interest, Sea of Thieves fans, d'you think Sea of Thieves will get a sequel at some point?

If I think so? Hmm,, Rare has a lot of IP's they've left rotting in the Rare barn dungeons.. so who knows.

I believe they've now got the skills to make a good live service pirate game. Improve the horrendously tiresome sword combat, launch the game with more content, etc. But it would take 3-4 years to build.. and I'm not sure the team would like to take on such an endeavour. Doing something fresh like EverWild is more something you go and work at Rare for.

If they had launched the game like this, but with better sword combat and a better PvP mode, it would've been much bigger and better game.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Hopefully. Same style of game but in space with little spaceships that need multiple people to pilot properly and little planets and asteroids to land on instead of islands.

Sea of Stars.

You're welcome Rare.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

After launch I'd have said it was a definite no, it had all the hallmarks of a game that burned its hype and wouldn't get another shot. Now though the game has managed to recover quite a bit and while the game's audience isn't huge it has broadly stabilised. Obviously in the short term SoT is a GaaS and there is no reason to create a new game, but in the longer term there are so many areas where Sea of Thieves could be easily improved which they don't seem to be able to fix in the context of the original game. They must have learned so much from this release - a sequel would give them the opportunity to make good on a lot of the potential which, for me, still hasn't been realised.
I don't think so.

My question is how long are they going to have a full team providing content for SoT?

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Hopefully. Same style of game but in space with little spaceships that need multiple people to pilot properly and little planets and asteroids to land on instead of islands.

Sea of Stars.

You're welcome Rare.

Like, little spaceships that fly around a miniature solar system using newtonian mechanics?

I'd be all over that.

Nov 11, 2017

There are AI ships to battle now, yes, as well as AI beasties like the kraken and megalodon.

You can technically sail any ship with any size of crew but it is very onerous :P
I doubt it I think they will continue supporting this for years

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The benefit is that I find sales numbers interesting. There are plenty of threads on this forum that prove I'm not the only one that feels this way.
Yet we know since years now that we hardly get any numbers from Microsoft, though. If you are interested in sales you should not participate in Microsoft related threads. I think people would know by now.