• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I uploaded my entire playthrough of the alpha demo.

My impressions so far,

It's fun. It's basically Chrono Trigger but Mario RPG button timing mechanics. If you press the Confirm button as an attack lands you do additional damage, Also if you time the Confirm button before receiving damage you raise your guard and reduce incoming damage. The Girl character has a Boomerang special move and if you press Confirm the second it returns you immediately throw it again for a double attack and can continue to do so until you miss the timing. Also the Boy has a Fire Projectile spell but you mash the confirm button it gets bigger and bigger and does more damage.

There is an interesting day and night time switching mechanic. The World Map is basically similar to Chrono Trigger. Haven't seen any dual techs yet, but I guess this is something they are saving for later on. I haven't quite figured out the different symbols that sometimes show above a target in battle and what they do or represent. I guess this more information will become available over time.

All in all for a super early demo it shows incredible promise.

Skimmed through, music is great. I can see that boomerang move getting a bit tiresome after a while though.

OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
New update!

This afternoon (December 22nd, 2PM EST), Thierry will do a live Q&A on Twitch and present a sneak peek of the Mountain Trail dungeon, featuring everyone's favorite warrior cook!

Also they are self publishing the game, which is great.

OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
It's been a year since Sea of Stars was announced. They revealed a new character concept to celebrate.

Her name is Erlina

Please meet Erlina (key character, non-playable), a Summer Solstice Warrior. She is in the same age range as her travel companion Brugaves (Winter Solstice Warrior). They are both adults and fully trained by the time the game begins with Zale and Valere as children.

Erlina's powers are all about the mind, so she created her own personalized weapon to fully unleash her potential. She fights using 5 small prisms which she controls with her powers of telekinesis, to then focus sun magic through them creating shapes of searing light.

As a basic attack she levitates one prism on each side of her target and creates a quick ray connecting the two. Special moves get more intricate with different configurations and prism counts, up to using all five for her signature move "the pyramid".

She is the one who first trains our heroes in the arts of magic at Zenith Academy.

Erlina_Concept.jpg

Erlina_Combat_D4.gif

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
God this game looks so incredible. The wait is torture and I really hope they hit 2022! The Chrono Trigger vibes are very heavy with this one :)

OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
www.kickstarter.com

Update 20: A year later! + Cinematics reveal · Sea of Stars

IT’S BEEN A YEAR ALREADY. We thought we'd be over it by now, but we're not. The overwhelming support has been carrying us for the past 12 months and we can't thank you enough for it. It's obviously been a strange year, but we adapted, scaled the team to 23 artisans all working remotely, focused...

CINEMATICS REVEAL

REVEALING A NEW AREA AND DOING A LIVE TWITCH Q&A ON APRIL 16

50171070b6ec5f661386ec8d72406c0e_original.png

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Some really nice pixel art in this, I especially love the coral reef area shown earlier.
I wasn't crazy about the dialogue in Messenger, it seemed far too self-referential and 4th wall breaking, and I'm kinda tired of that in games. I'm hoping this has a more straightforward narrative.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Some really nice pixel art in this, I especially love the coral reef area shown earlier.
I wasn't crazy about the dialogue in Messenger, it seemed far too self-referential and 4th wall breaking, and I'm kinda tired of that in games. I'm hoping this has a more straightforward narrative.

Sea of Stars apparently takes place in the same universe as The Messenger, it's a prequel that takes place long before it apparently.

Narrative seems atypical of any other RPG that I've played. If you scroll up a bit I posted an hour long playthrough of a backer Alpha I've played roughly a year ago which shows some of the dialog, but it's mainly exploration and combat. Mind you that preview is a year old, so I'm sure the game came quite a bit since then.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I am beyond excited for this game. The wait has been painful and I'm tapping my foot waiting lol.
Is it scheduled for 2022? 2023? Gonna be awhile but it's shaping up to be a possible classic!

OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash

UACqQnY.png

Official Cryptwalker design

compendium.seaofstarsgame.co

Sea of Stars | Compendium

The compendium is where lore about the characters of Sea of Stars is archived.
screenshot1.png

They just released the compendium for Sea of Stars. You can check out more characters, screenshots and art from the game. There's a community challenge based on their Twitter followers, it unlocks more characters.

M1xlu4c.png

iKld67s.png

Please follow them here!

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017

UACqQnY.png

screenshot1.png

They just released the compendium for Sea of Stars. You can check out more characters, screenshots and art from the game. There's a community challenge based on their Twitter followers, it unlocks more characters.

M1xlu4c.png

iKld67s.png

Please follow them here!

God that screenshot looks incredible, not sure I've ever seen pixel art this gorgeous before.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017

UACqQnY.png

screenshot1.png

M1xlu4c.png

iKld67s.png

Please follow them here!

This is incredible.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People at Sabotage are nice folks, had the chance to have a beer and talk with some of them during a Messenger DLC launch party. This game looks promising and hits all kinds of right chords to me.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I'm very excited for this project and hoping for the best! Crossing my fingers for the team to pull off something special with this one.