• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
fsp7xjx.png

CnGAlyN.png
Platform(s): Windows PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4
Release Date:
July 5th, 2019​
Genre: Adventure
Price: $19.99 USD
Player(s): 1
Format: Digital
Developer: Jo-Mei
Publisher: EA Originals
Size: ~2GB

nH5z0nG.png

What is Sea of Solitude?
Sea of Solitude takes you on a personal journey of a young woman's loneliness. Set sail across a beautiful and evolving world, where nothing is quite what it seems. Meet fantastical creatures and monsters, learn their stories, and solve challenges. Explore a flooded city, either by boat, on foot, or by swimming through the water itself. Dare to look what lies beneath the surface, in a haunting struggle of darkness and light, and discover what it truly means to be human.

Game structure?
The game is a third person, linear experience that's broken up into chapters.

Origin Access?
You can play the game as part of the "Origin Access Premier" program on PC. Users should be able to get a preview of the game with the standard EA Access along with a 10% discount. (discount is confirmed but nothing for the preview yet)

Xbox One X and PlayStation 4 Pro support?
Yes. Both platforms have a visual/performance mode, but specifics on what each hasn't been determined yet.

Switch?
"I'm not allowed to talk about this!"

Ultrawide and uncapped framerate support on PC?
TBA.

How long is the game?
We're hearing a range of 3 to 8 hours.

Any chance of a physical release?
EA describes the game as the following…
Sea of Solitude is a digital-only experience. That means there will be no physical copies of Sea of Solitude.

ZZT1iOi.png

seBtI2Y.png
OrAkbX4.png

oWft33h.png
L70SAYV.png

7VfB0Ia.png

Metacritic

Well Played: 8/10
https://www.well-played.com.au/sea-of-solitude-review/
Sea of Solitude is a commendable effort and a heartfelt and personal story told in a medium that needs more of those. It's succinct, raw, emotional and overall enjoyable despite the script almost being its own undoing. If you've ever felt deeply lonely this game will resonate with you, and if not you stand to gain an impressively effective understanding of it in a way that other forms of media can't offer. It's not perfect, but it's damn special.

Rock Paper Shotgun: No Score
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/07/05/sea-of-solitude-review/
At the heart of Sea Of Solitude is the idea that all emotions can have a positive or negative form — love can be twisted to be something unhealthy or saddening, for example, just as being alone can be quiet solitude or debilitating loneliness. I've no doubt that Sea Of Solitude might seem facile to some people, but that just means it isn't for you. I think it'll probably be for a lot of other people.

The Guardian: 4/5
https://www.theguardian.com/games/2...ng-and-cathartic-exploration-of-mental-health
This has clearly been a work of catharsis for its designer, blending the two to say something personal and important. By opening up about the lived experience of depression and focusing on the causes rather than the solutions, Cornelia Geppert and the team at Jo-Mei have created something that truly resonates.

USGamer 2/5
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/sea-of-solitude-review?utm_source=dlvr.it
Not even striking art direction and sincere storytelling can save the unfortunate nature of Sea of Solitude. Marred by dull action and, at worst, frustrating sequences, Sea of Solitude ends up feeling like twice the length of its runtime. Those monsters and that world sure are gorgeous though.

8kJAI3n.png

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Nice OT. Paid for this game as soon as it went up on Origin, but man, that release date is terrible if you're in the States.

ClayModel

Oct 29, 2017
Man, I hope this does well for the studio and Cornelia Geppert . After her pitch from last year's EA conference, I want this to succeed.

TanookiTom

Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
So looking forward to this! I hope it turns out well. Can't wait for the reviews. They should be dropping any time now, right?

Man, I hope this does well for the studio and Cornelia Geppert . After her pitch from last year's EA conference, I want this to succeed.

Do you happen to have a link handy? Did she appear in the EA conference?

ClayModel

Oct 29, 2017
So looking forward to this! I hope it turns out well. Can't wait for the reviews. They should be dropping any time now, right?

Do you happen to have a link handy? Did she appear in the EA conference?

Yeah, that's the presentation that sold me on the game. Always like it when a dev passionately talks about their game. Plus this was one of the highlights from last year's EA conference.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
Games like this were surely harmed by EA only focusing on a handful of their AAA titles at E3. I forgot this even existed and I watched the presentation last year

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow I totally forgot about this game. I remember being really excited by the reveal. Will probably get it after I finish up some other games.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wish them all the best.
The game looks brilliant and the German industry needs a masterpiece badly.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Game looks really awesome. Got a bunch in the backlog, but I'd like to get to this one by the end of the month.

Hope it does great.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I (and everyone I've brought this up with) had zero clue this was coming out soon, nevermind tomorrow!

Idk if that's a lack of marketing or what but I only found out because of a tweet from one of the devs.

It looks beautiful and I hope it's great and is a success for them - I'll hopefully pick it up soon.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Only a bit over an hour before this becomes available in my time zone; any sign of reviews yet? I'm very tempted to just dive straight in after work.

Wozman23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pico Rivera, CA
So happy this got an OT! I've been following it since its pre-EA Originals days. Glad to see it getting some well deserved exposure. Hopefully it does well. Can't wait to find some time to sit down with it tomorrow night.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Just started up the game:
-Appears to support Xbox One X as it's far crisper than the base model could possibly render
-graphics settings include standard and performance modes plus slider for TAA sharpness
-artsyle is amazing and makes me looking forward to more

Oct 27, 2017
How are you feeling the gameplay, story and general atmosphere so far?
I'm enjoying it after playing 2 chapters so far. The game controls fairly well and is responsive enough when moving around. I would liken it a little to Rime in some regards. You are mostly exploring the environment for actions to take that move the story forward while avoiding 1 primary enemy at this point. You can also find items to collect while exploring.

Story is well voice acted while being obtuse so far. Atmosphere is top notch with an emphasis between light and dark.

TanookiTom

Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
I just started the game and got to play just for a little while on the OG Xbox. It looks beautiful and I don't feel my good ol' Xbone is struggling with the game so far. I could imagine that they could also manage to port it to Switch actually.

It's a very moody game, I love the setting. The voice acting is good enough, I would say, but I am a bit bothered by the heavy German accents. Though I can imagine others (maybe from outside Germany?) might find it charming? I would have liked the option to her German VO but it only seems to be available in English.

Really curious to see where this is going. A very interesting topic for sure. The games are not comparable at all gameplay-wise, but the theme reminds me of another European indie game, Gris, which deals with fear (and loss if memory serves).

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Polygon: No Score
https://www.polygon.com/reviews/2019/7/5/20682547/sea-of-solitude-review-ps4-xbox-one-pc
To set expectations: This isn't a game of winners or losers, either. Sea of Solitude is a game about achieving equilibrium.

Rock Paper Shotgun: No Score
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/07/05/sea-of-solitude-review/
At the heart of Sea Of Solitude is the idea that all emotions can have a positive or negative form — love can be twisted to be something unhealthy or saddening, for example, just as being alone can be quiet solitude or debilitating loneliness. I've no doubt that Sea Of Solitude might seem facile to some people, but that just means it isn't for you. I think it'll probably be for a lot of other people.

The Guardian: 4/5
https://www.theguardian.com/games/2...ng-and-cathartic-exploration-of-mental-health
This has clearly been a work of catharsis for its designer, blending the two to say something personal and important. By opening up about the lived experience of depression and focusing on the causes rather than the solutions, Cornelia Geppert and the team at Jo-Mei have created something that truly resonates.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I worry it won't, at least on PC. I didn't even know this game existed nor releasing soon until a few days ago.
Hoping for the best though, I'll get it down the line as I already have a lot on my plate far as gaming goes @_@

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Nice OT!

Just started up the game:
-Appears to support Xbox One X as it's far crisper than the base model could possibly render
-graphics settings include standard and performance modes plus slider for TAA sharpness
-artsyle is amazing and makes me looking forward to more

Thanks for the info! Going to buy this for the X when I´m back home.

Apr 19, 2018
Germany
Reviews seem to be super mixed from 9.5/10 to 4/10 everything is there, i had this on my radar for a while but i might wait for more impressions.