• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How could something from 30 years ago understand the modern world? They're both products of their time.

That's actually what I meant, apologies if I seemed to dismiss the old Trek shows.
What I meant to say was TNG felt too clean and like watching a group of old English professors discussing philosophy, TOS by comparison was bombastic.
I'm more of a DS9 guy where there was a little more grey and the characters were edgier.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This looks amazing. TNG is my favourite followed by voyager. So seeing seven there made me lose it. Love discovery, love this trailer. Also the Tarantino talk of a film... dear lord

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
way more action-y than I was expecting. Not sure how I feel about. Kinda want a more old school type star trek show

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
That's never coming back. The smartphone generation can't handle that.
Star Trek was big in the XTREME 90's. It can return.

Just a matter of time before the ST'09 experiment is abandoned and the series is rebooted again--hopefully they'll pick a better direction, then.

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Counterpoint, the earlier, more politically oriented seasons of Game Of Thrones as well as shows like ROME
People just don't want to watch a slow dry show anymore. Again, TOS was kinda action packed too.

The worse Game of Thrones got the better the ratings became. Go figure.

Just a matter of time before the ST'09 experiment is abandoned and the series is rebooted again--hopefully they'll pick a better direction, then.

Well there is this one seemingly quite successful show which has now made way for a multitude of spin-offs including Picard and potentially a Pike series.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Zpqf4tw.png

Definitely gonna have a lot of BORG shenanigans in this show, should be interesting to see how they dive back into that well after all this time.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember the last time a trailer has completely sold me on a show. I mean i was already in for Stewart, but now I am ALL IN.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Zpqf4tw.png

Definitely gonna have a lot of BORG shenanigans in this show, should be interesting to see how they dive back into that well after all this time.
I'd imagine that basically the Romulans could end up being responsible for the return of the Borg after they were so badly crippled at the end of Voyager.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, that trailer was fantastic, seeing Data and Picard together at the end was so wonderful. Looks like I'm gonna have to cave in get a CBS All Access sub next year, might as well as I was already tempted by the Twilight Zone.

Applebite

Oct 27, 2017
That looked horrible. I mean, if you think of it as something that's supposed to evoke TNG, at least. Looks more like the new show than TNG.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I mean... That looks cool.

Will be my first Star Trek show.

I watched the JJ abrams movie and that's about it.

Oct 25, 2017
Every time they show the vineyard, I remember that they murdered Picard's family randomly in a movie and get sad. I liked his salty brother.

I'm not feeling this mysterious woman plot. I was hoping for a more space adventure vibe since DISCO is doing the dramatic action thing.

I liked seeing Seven if only so she can be on a show that doesn't treat her like trash.

Of course, I'm still giving it a chance since trailers always try to make everything exciting and dramatic even if the media necessarily isn't.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'd imagine that basically the Romulans could end up being responsible for the return of the Borg after they were so badly crippled at the end of Voyager.

this scene + the borg cube with blue forcefields (friendly) leads me to believe they've captured the cube and it's some form of rebel band of misfits in control of it, and it's not actually a threat. All the borg forcefields were green.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The mystery super girl is such tired standard, very tired, fare for sci-fi but it otherwise looked great. Wasn't expecting to see 7 at all. I know Discovery takes place in the prime universe but it is a prequel so it is nice to see new material that actually references the other shows

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
The visual style of TNG is far super to the derivative stuff from that trailer. Fine it doesn't have to be the same style, but derivative is boring. Would have been nice to see something interesting and new with a hint of the old. The original set designers of TNG were thinking about form and function.
Whoever designs these transparent displays needs to stop and think for a moment... "What if I could see through my computer screen or phone right now?"
It's total garbage and by the numbers. Nothing new here so I'd prefer old.

I feel like the producers of TNG fielded these exact same complaints from original TOS fans back in the 80s. Yes, if we see the interior of a Galaxy, Intrepid, or Sovereign Class starship (or even a in-universe modern class starship) I'd hope to get some a modern take with hints of old design language, but let's not kid ourselves that civilian characters and extras dressed ridiculously in TNG-era Trek, and that any planet that couldn't be filmed in the deserts or forests of California didn't scream that it was just a flat soundstage with a few rocks plopped on the floor.

I love how you can already see Seven has evolved since Voyager to be a bit looser in demeanor.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I do think it's interesting how people ignore that Discovery does do episodic adventure stuff, they just usually tie it into an overarching narrative. Season 2 was especially this, with them following mysterious signals, having a self contained adventure and then it ties into the overall plot.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
this scene + the borg cube with blue forcefields (friendly) leads me to believe they've captured the cube and it's some form of rebel band of misfits in control of it, and it's not actually a threat. All the borg forcefields were green.
Well we know from the Countdown comics that the Romulans have been hoarding and studying Borg technology for quite a while, which is what they outfit the Narada with. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that they captured a damaged Borg Cube (Or possibly even a fully intact one that went dark during the destruction of Unimatrix One) and are working on reverse engineering the technology.
I doubt it'll be a rebel band of misfits, but the actual Romulan Government, or at least its remnants after the Hobus Supernova.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
The only Star Trek I know is the one I watched on UPN 13 with Janeway and Seven of Nine. Since I saw Seven of Nine this is officially the first time a Star Trek movie has ever had my attention.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Well we know from the Countdown comics that the Romulans have been hoarding and studying Borg technology for quite a while, which is what they outfit the Narada with. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that they captured a damaged Borg Cube (Or possibly even a fully intact one that went dark during the destruction of Unimatrix One) and are working on reverse engineering the technology.
I doubt it'll be a rebel band of misfits, but the actual Romulan Government, or at least its remnants after the Hobus Supernova.

Ah yeah I forgot about the narada/borg connection - and I worked on the damn franchise at one point!

I'm excited, too, because if the whole CBS/Viacom merger happens in August, they'll be able to namedrop nero and stuff too to really tie both timelines together.. Could be neat.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I do think it's interesting how people ignore that Discovery does do episodic adventure stuff, they just usually tie it into an overarching narrative. Season 2 was especially this, with them following mysterious signals, having a self contained adventure and then it ties into the overall plot.
They weren't really that self-contained. I never felt season 2 was more self-contained then season 1. Even in season 1 each episode tackled something different within the overarching narrative. As season 2 unfolded I never saw what some were saying. I even saw many others questioning that narrative as well.

I had to conclude that some tried to push this idea that season 2 was really different in order to knock season 1 or because season 2 had a character or element they liked while they weren't there in season 1. So season 2 must have been doing something really different when it really wasn't. The structure of the two seasons is very similar if not the same. Even if you focused just on the signals taking them to different locations that's largely just in the first half and not even the entire first half.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
It's wild how much better this looks than all the TNG movies in terms of production quality. This age of TV really is the best time to be bringing Trek back.

syndicalist

Oct 25, 2017
Reasonably hyped! I'll watch anything Star Trek. But it's already raising some red flags. The past 10 years of Star Trek has been little more than MacGuffins in space, and they've already revealed this arc's.

I'm okay with this show not feeling like a TNG continuation, even with regards to tone, but Picard is a very specific character and TNG has a very particular legacy, so I don't really trust them to respect either correctly considering the hokey space opera that is Discovery.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Zpqf4tw.png

It occurs to me, that works out to 16 years.

2399 - 16 = 2383

So yeah, the Romulans have been canonically messing with this stuff before Romulus went boom. This ain't some rebel cell

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
I think because of the damage it's Data salvaged from the Scimitar wreckage. If they're smart, B4 would be causally referenced as being vaporized on a distant star years before and forgotten forever. B4 was probably demanded to be written into Nemesis by Brent Spiner's agent.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Timeline wise that CBS has worked with Star Trek Online on would have Captain Data at this point on the Enterprise-E. Show is set about 8 years before the Enterprise-E is destroyed. I doubt the timeline is something they will follow to any serious degree though as the Klingon-Federation Peace Treaty is supposed to be dissolved at the time Picard takes place.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Timeline wise that CBS has worked with Star Trek Online on would have Captain Data at this point on the Enterprise-E. Show is set about 8 years before the Enterprise-E is destroyed. I doubt the timeline is something they will follow to any serious degree though as the Klingon-Federation Peace Treaty is supposed to be dissolved at the time Picard takes place.
I've been wanting Captain Data for years.
If he's in a starfleet uniform it's yellow, so the only way he's a Captain Is if they went back to ToS colors.